Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have this consortium even got any money? 15:22 - Feb 28 with 4825 viewsMrTown

Was excited with initial news, but the more I read, I worry about the supposed takeover?

Do they have any capital themselves?

I find it hard to see how a fund backed club who operate at a hefty loss per year will end well.

Someone counter with a bit of positivity please.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:07 - Feb 28 with 1115 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:28 - Feb 28 by MrTown

This won’t end well I fear.

And how well do you think it might end with Evans at the helm for another 10 years? I only see us headed for Div4, and maybe lower.

At least with this lot, there may be risks, but there is at least hope.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:08 - Feb 28 with 1108 viewsSenatorBlue

Think the main thing is whilst they don’t invest own cash, they have access to cash (lots), purchasing ITFC at a minuscule fraction of this at £17.5m, especially when you compare to purchasing even USL teams.

They’ll be looking to increase the our value and sell at the peak at a future date, which is likely if Euro football rights (definitely EFL) are believed to be under valued. It is relatively low risk as they’ve bought us at our lowest ebb (price) ever likely for us, and even if we don’t succeed it’s still relatively low risk because let’s face it, they look to know what they’re doing, and will make even ITFC in L1 more functional and valuable than it is today.

Good investment by them, will get us back to Championship and make us competitive there.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2021 16:09]
Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:09 - Feb 28 with 1099 viewsIllinoisblue

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:55 - Feb 28 by MrTown

I’m not sure that answer given by Matt Slater bares any resemblance to Ipswich Town in League 1 - especially when he is talking about MLS franchise values and TV rights over there.

There is of course a difference between been smart and rich, and this is a rich mans game.

Go back and read it again

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:16 - Feb 28 with 1073 viewsitfcjoe

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:01 - Feb 28 by jayessess

That we're cheap for a club with a Category 2 academy might be one reason why they're interested, but realistically selling on our academy players is not going to generate them a very consistent profit.

If you are in the Championship and can play young players you will make a fortune - any upwardly mobile Championship clubs sell youngsters for 8 figures at a time.

Someone like Todd Cantwell would have been behind Nydam, Dozzell, Downes for their respective age groups......if we can go up this year and play young English players regularly we'll be fine

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:16 - Feb 28 with 1072 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:31 - Feb 28 by jayessess

The reality for any football club in the 21st Century is that you are at the whims of different shades of capitalist, I don't think this takeover changes much in that regard.

The big change is that our present capitalist is benevolent.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:16 - Feb 28 with 1070 viewsjayessess

I’m not sure that answer given by Matt Slater bares any resemblance to Ipswich Town in League 1 - especially when he is talking about MLS franchise values and TV rights over there.

There is of course a difference between been smart and rich, and this is a rich mans game.

Well, it aligns with Ipswich Town being cheap to buy and likely to retain at least our current value.

You buy for peanuts (in relative terms), you improve what you can, you speculate to win the jackpot, you sell it on if it doesn't work.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:24 - Feb 28 with 1033 viewshtb

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:47 - Feb 28 by MrTown

If it all goes wrong we will be in a significantly worse position than we are now.

I don’t see why. This consortium will have to fund the ongoing operating loss and hopefully invest money into the playing squad. The only way their investment can grow is for Ipswich to be successful. If this doesn’t happen we will only be in the same position we are with Marcus Evans with the consortium looking to sell. The only way it could be worse would be if they couldn’t find a buyer and we’re not prepared to fund on going losses at that point we would be put into liquidation but this no more likely than it is with Marcus Evans.
Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:26 - Feb 28 with 1022 viewsbluefunk

He’s talking about US franchises because he wants you to understand why investors there are looking for opportunities elsewhere. Imagine being able to invest £17m, plu some other cash over a few years and it being turned into business that generates £100m in income a every year.

US leagues don’t have promotion and relegation, so it’s necessary to buy in, at inflated prices. By buying ITFC they get the chance to hit the big time on the field and enjoy the benefits. The will look to do that by running the club properly and maximising revenue streams, something the club have signally failed to do in Marcus’s reign, it may work and certainly has a better chance of working than under Evans control freak style

Oh and any concern about the involvement of a pension fund is wildly misplaced
Login to get fewer ads

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:29 - Feb 28 with 1006 viewsMrTown

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:02 - Feb 28 by DavidMcGoldrought

The way that improves is through player sales. Look at what Ashton has done at Bristol City, since he has been there they have sold:

A. Webster - 20mil
L. Kelly - 13mil
J. Brownhill - 9mil
B. Reid - 10mil
A. Flint - 8mil
J. Bryan - 6mil

They have a “buy low, sell high” philosophy; along with developing young players. Ashton, would be bound to bring this with him to Ipswich.

If Ipswich get to a situation where you can start selling a player or two for 10 million a season we will start to become more sustainable.

Indeed. This is the only way I see it working.

And I hope that model is brought here and is successful, because it probably will be the way in which I see the takeover benefiting all parties, and us becoming a well run club.

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:31 - Feb 28 with 997 viewsMrTown

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:09 - Feb 28 by Illinoisblue

Go back and read it again

I’ve just read again - but I still don’t significant relevance to ITFC.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2021 16:38]

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:37 - Feb 28 with 975 viewsMrTown

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:26 - Feb 28 by bluefunk

He’s talking about US franchises because he wants you to understand why investors there are looking for opportunities elsewhere. Imagine being able to invest £17m, plu some other cash over a few years and it being turned into business that generates £100m in income a every year.

US leagues don’t have promotion and relegation, so it’s necessary to buy in, at inflated prices. By buying ITFC they get the chance to hit the big time on the field and enjoy the benefits. The will look to do that by running the club properly and maximising revenue streams, something the club have signally failed to do in Marcus’s reign, it may work and certainly has a better chance of working than under Evans control freak style

Oh and any concern about the involvement of a pension fund is wildly misplaced

Steady, let’s not get ahead of ourselves and talking about Ipswich Town generating £100m in income per annum in the next few years.

Why is talk of involvement of pension ‘wildly’ misplaced?

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:38 - Feb 28 with 969 viewsjayessess

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:16 - Feb 28 by itfcjoe

If you are in the Championship and can play young players you will make a fortune - any upwardly mobile Championship clubs sell youngsters for 8 figures at a time.

Someone like Todd Cantwell would have been behind Nydam, Dozzell, Downes for their respective age groups......if we can go up this year and play young English players regularly we'll be fine

I mean from the investor's perspective rather than the club. The club makes a profit on the player but if you want the club to progress that money has to go back into the budget, rather than in the investor's pocket. It's not plausibly the means by which anyone makes a healthy return on owning us.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:49 - Feb 28 with 931 viewsChurchman

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:41 - Feb 28 by BlueBorn86

We don’t have any money now. Marcus has always said he would only sell if it’s in the best interests of the club, so hopefully this is the case. The fact he (according to reports) maintains 5% stake in the club leads me to believe he is thinks the new owners could get us into the big time and the he can recoup some of his last money.

All a gamble though isn’t it?

Marcus, as he suddenly seems to have become, has only ever been interested in Evans. He took a punt and failed. He has failed every year since. Does anyone seriously think he gives two hoots about Ipswich Town? I don’t think he understands anything about football or about the club. His interests lie elsewhere.

We are in the middle of League one going only one way with a club that’s a miserable dysfunctional mess. A couple of narrow wins doesn’t change anything.

The sooner he is gone, along with the muppet he appointed, the better.
Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:52 - Feb 28 with 917 viewsMrTown

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:41 - Feb 28 by BlueBorn86

We don’t have any money now. Marcus has always said he would only sell if it’s in the best interests of the club, so hopefully this is the case. The fact he (according to reports) maintains 5% stake in the club leads me to believe he is thinks the new owners could get us into the big time and the he can recoup some of his last money.

All a gamble though isn’t it?

Of course, and obviously a part of me is delighted and excited that there is a new approach where we have stagnated for a long time.

Just the other side is I am yet to see where the capital is coming from, how it’s been financed, how sustainable it is etc.

I suppose it’s a case of waiting and seeing.

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:53 - Feb 28 with 914 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:49 - Feb 28 by Churchman

Marcus, as he suddenly seems to have become, has only ever been interested in Evans. He took a punt and failed. He has failed every year since. Does anyone seriously think he gives two hoots about Ipswich Town? I don’t think he understands anything about football or about the club. His interests lie elsewhere.

We are in the middle of League one going only one way with a club that’s a miserable dysfunctional mess. A couple of narrow wins doesn’t change anything.

The sooner he is gone, along with the muppet he appointed, the better.

Of course he cares about the club. You'd need to be stupid to think otherwise.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:56 - Feb 28 with 894 viewsbluefunk

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:37 - Feb 28 by MrTown

Steady, let’s not get ahead of ourselves and talking about Ipswich Town generating £100m in income per annum in the next few years.

Why is talk of involvement of pension ‘wildly’ misplaced?

If we were promoted to the Premier League that’s the kind of income generation we are talking about, that’s the attraction, no matter how unlikely we might think it is ( I agree with you btw).

Regarding the investment by the pension fund, it will likely be in the form of a Corporate Bond which will have a relatively low interest rate, and very unlikely to be secured on any ITFC assets, as we don’t really have any. Pension funds aren’t some form of vultures looking for a quick profit, they will be matching long term liabilities with long term investments - this will be a very small element of their riskier investments, but based on their knowledge of the consortium, not on ITFC. That’s why some of the concerns I’ve read on here are wildly misplaced
Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:58 - Feb 28 with 879 viewswkj

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:53 - Feb 28 by Tangledupin_Blue

Of course he cares about the club. You'd need to be stupid to think otherwise.

I agree, I believe he cares but he was just too poor at how he set the hierarchy up. Had Evans hired a CEO with a football business brain he's have been much better off.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Have this consortium even got any money? on 17:11 - Feb 28 with 834 viewsBlueBorn86

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:52 - Feb 28 by MrTown

Of course, and obviously a part of me is delighted and excited that there is a new approach where we have stagnated for a long time.

Just the other side is I am yet to see where the capital is coming from, how it’s been financed, how sustainable it is etc.

I totally agree. Iv been suffering with apathy for so long that be willing to give anything a go to see if the grass is greener!
Have this consortium even got any money? on 17:23 - Feb 28 with 806 viewsMrTown

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:56 - Feb 28 by bluefunk

If we were promoted to the Premier League that’s the kind of income generation we are talking about, that’s the attraction, no matter how unlikely we might think it is ( I agree with you btw).

Regarding the investment by the pension fund, it will likely be in the form of a Corporate Bond which will have a relatively low interest rate, and very unlikely to be secured on any ITFC assets, as we don’t really have any. Pension funds aren’t some form of vultures looking for a quick profit, they will be matching long term liabilities with long term investments - this will be a very small element of their riskier investments, but based on their knowledge of the consortium, not on ITFC. That’s why some of the concerns I’ve read on here are wildly misplaced

Indeed, but we are some way way away from that yet.

Second paragraph is really good and gives a bit of insight - presumably the assets secured against will be against members of the consortiums other businesses?

Have this consortium even got any money? on 17:27 - Feb 28 with 785 viewstractorboy1978

Rich compared to you or I, but the smarter you are the less rich you need to be. Evans has been rich and stupid. I've said countless times on here that it's cost him significantly more to run the club poorly (since day 1) and 'on the cheap' (for the last 6/7 years) than it would if he'd got the structure right - recruitment, scouting, CEO, DOF, Commercial director etc. See Benham at Brentford - the finance side of the football now takes care of itself. And we have miles more potential and more opportunity to grow than they do!

These guys seem to want to create a portfolio of European clubs so the money will be there, you can guarantee that. They come from a background of generating money, investing wisely and creating value.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2021 17:30]
Have this consortium even got any money? on 17:27 - Feb 28 with 785 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:52 - Feb 28 by MrTown

What do you mean you're yet to see where the capital is coming from and how it's been financed? It's in all the stories and several people have told you in this thread. I explained on page one how it's a drop in the ocean to this pension fund.

If you're going to ask a question it's polite to read all the replies!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Have this consortium even got any money? on 17:28 - Feb 28 with 780 viewsjontysnut

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:44 - Feb 28 by itfcjoe

There was an interesting comment underneath the article on The Atheltic by one of the author's of the piece Matt Slater

Question
What's the plan here? Is American money in football smart money or dumb money? Is it significant cost control so Ipswich can make money (I'll believe it when I see it). Is there some delusion here about all you need is a great manager and you'll get to the PL and you can flip it for 10x what you paid (to who) Or is it £17.5m for a bit of fun?

Whenever an American buys a PL club I always think that they're hoping to create a closed shop up top so they can make some money, this I don't really get.

Reply by Matt Slater
Good questions, Alex, and ones I've been asking (and answering, hopefully) in pieces and pods for about a year. I suspect we're still at the start of what will be a wave of US investment in European football over the next couple of years. Why? Well, interest rates are zero or close to zero, so there's a lot of money looking for a return. The value of US sports franchises has been rising for decades and they're now very, very expensive. The last MLS franchise went for $350m and it wasn't even in a big market. European football clubs, on the other hand, are much cheaper and Covid is making them cheaper. These investors also believe that pro sport is a fundamentally solid investment, as clubs don't tend to fold and we all still like going to games or watching on TV. And finally, they think that European TV rights are under valued. They look at the price US broadcasters have to pay for the NFL, MLB etc and think, 'wow, there's a lot more upside over there'. So that's why they're coming. FWIW, I'm told that Brett and his group are very smart guys. They all say that, of course, but I have met some club owners who definitely aren't really smart.

The yanks who bought London Bridge probably described themselves as smart.
Have this consortium even got any money? on 17:38 - Feb 28 with 753 viewsbluefunk

Have this consortium even got any money? on 17:23 - Feb 28 by MrTown

Indeed, but we are some way way away from that yet.

Second paragraph is really good and gives a bit of insight - presumably the assets secured against will be against members of the consortiums other businesses?

That’s a possibility I guess, depending on how it’s set up and whether the members of our consortium are the same as for other deals. I think it’s more likely that our deal will be a stand alone.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2021 17:56]
Have this consortium even got any money? on 17:43 - Feb 28 with 737 viewsMrTown

Have this consortium even got any money? on 17:27 - Feb 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

What do you mean you're yet to see where the capital is coming from and how it's been financed? It's in all the stories and several people have told you in this thread. I explained on page one how it's a drop in the ocean to this pension fund.

If you're going to ask a question it's polite to read all the replies!

You just said a pension fund has a lot of money in it - no explanation on how it works. Hence it wasn’t a useful post to read.

Have this consortium even got any money? on 17:46 - Feb 28 with 722 viewsMrTown

Have this consortium even got any money? on 17:38 - Feb 28 by bluefunk

That’s a possibility I guess, depending on how it’s set up and whether the members of our consortium are the same as for other deals. I think it’s more likely that our deal will be a stand alone.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2021 17:56]

Ok, thanks for some clarity. Some good posts there to read.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024