Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European super league 15:34 - Apr 18 with 5472 viewsPerublue

It looks like it might finally be happening,

on sky news now
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 15:34]

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

European super league on 17:23 - Apr 18 with 1995 viewsJ2BLUE

European super league on 17:11 - Apr 18 by Guthrum

More competitive. Ipswich's most successful years were when there was a more level financial playing field.

I mean financially. We've just been taken over by a group looking to make a profit. If there's no big money to be had we're useless to them.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

European super league on 17:24 - Apr 18 with 1991 viewsChurchman

European super league on 15:44 - Apr 18 by Illinoisblue

Fook. Them. All. Greedy, vile soulless scum.

I agree with you. I wish they’d just go, but the consequences are far reaching. The idea is that these clubs become the equivalent of the NBA, NFL etc where everything is geared to them including all the money. It’s something they’ve been working towards for years.

I’m not sure the domestic pyramid structure can survive it and certainly there’s no point in people investing in clubs as Gamechanger are (or were) proposing to do. The rump that’s left is never going to command sufficient interest or money to justify it. That’s just a flawed initial view.
European super league on 17:26 - Apr 18 with 1983 viewsNthsuffolkblue

European super league on 17:23 - Apr 18 by J2BLUE

I mean financially. We've just been taken over by a group looking to make a profit. If there's no big money to be had we're useless to them.

In which case how would they respond? Look to sell the club to cut their losses? Look to develop top players to sell to those European teams at massive fees?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

European super league on 17:38 - Apr 18 with 1939 viewsWestover

I wouldn't watch just greed another nail in the coffin of Football.
European super league on 17:45 - Apr 18 with 1911 viewsDanTheMan

Yes please, hope they all try and it and make themselves irrelevant.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

European super league on 17:49 - Apr 18 with 1892 viewsHipsterectomy

The money involved in this would be incredible. Scottish and Irish football already has issues selling its football rights as countries aren't interested. Would many broadcasters pay for a premium package including Everton vs West Ham as the major match in the title race?

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

European super league on 17:55 - Apr 18 with 1865 viewsOldsmoker

If anybody doesn't think this will be successful then they're wrong.
Money talks.
When the Premier League started it was just Sky - now it's Sky, BT, Amazon Prime and the Chinese. They'll all want a piece of the action.
They will make it successful.

Football didn't exist before the creation of the European Super League.

The Premier League TV contract will be 20% of what it was, seriously slashed, and those clubs with players on high wages will want shot of them which will result in a diminished Premier League.
It might bring some hard lessons to the remaining 'top' clubs but it will mean everything from Championship down will become unviable.
It could result in 1 + 2 EFL leagues unless the EFL invite the National League to join them.
£2000 per week sitting on a bench for a league 1 team will be a thing of the past. Current Ipswich players please note.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

European super league on 17:59 - Apr 18 with 1844 viewsStokieBlue

European super league on 17:55 - Apr 18 by Oldsmoker

Money talks.
When the Premier League started it was just Sky - now it's Sky, BT, Amazon Prime and the Chinese. They'll all want a piece of the action.

The Premier League TV contract will be 20% of what it was, seriously slashed, and those clubs with players on high wages will want shot of them which will result in a diminished Premier League.
It might bring some hard lessons to the remaining 'top' clubs but it will mean everything from Championship down will become unviable.
It could result in 1 + 2 EFL leagues unless the EFL invite the National League to join them.
£2000 per week sitting on a bench for a league 1 team will be a thing of the past. Current Ipswich players please note.

Quite a few big clubs not involved though and only 11 signed up.

None of the German clubs involved, only Inter Milan from Italy (edit: just seen it might be Juve and AC as well), PSG not involved. It's basically an England and Spanish league as it stands.

I think people will get bored of seeing Real Madrid vs Liverpool frequently, the reason it's good is because it's a rare event.

I guess we will see.

SB
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 18:00]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

European super league on 18:00 - Apr 18 with 1847 viewsMerseyBlue

European super league on 17:49 - Apr 18 by Hipsterectomy

The money involved in this would be incredible. Scottish and Irish football already has issues selling its football rights as countries aren't interested. Would many broadcasters pay for a premium package including Everton vs West Ham as the major match in the title race?

I would think that broadcasters would be selling this Super League as a premium add-on. As others have said, it would be a closed shop so would be irrelevant to a lot of fans.

If you were a Liverpool fan, would you be happy about this venture? I suspect not as it robs you of the Merseyside Derby, of European Cup football and of course away days for the average Joe. The only fans this will appeal to are the super-wealthy and the glory hunters with more money than sense.

Financially it will definitely impact domestic leagues, but that financial levelling off could do the pyramid a world of good.

Hopefully the whole thing does happen, flops catastrophically and the big boys have to come back with their tails between their legs begging to be allowed back in...

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

European super league on 18:02 - Apr 18 with 1838 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Fine.

Just make sure it's a one way door.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

European super league on 18:03 - Apr 18 with 1837 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

European super league on 17:55 - Apr 18 by Oldsmoker

Money talks.

I'd be quite happy for the team's to leave and the Prem budget to be 20% of what it was.

That's good for the game.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

European super league on 18:08 - Apr 18 with 1817 viewsbobbyramsey

Well said Gary Neville.....
European super league on 18:15 - Apr 18 with 1812 viewsEastTownBlue

European super league on 18:08 - Apr 18 by bobbyramsey

Well said Gary Neville.....

Don't think he agrees with it

European super league on 18:17 - Apr 18 with 1805 viewsOldsmoker

European super league on 18:03 - Apr 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'd be quite happy for the team's to leave and the Prem budget to be 20% of what it was.

That's good for the game.

As very little has 'trickled down' from the top (except for that green and yellow p*ss in Norfolk) I guess we won't miss them.
A levelling out between the Premier League and Championship wage structue will be a good thing for the game in general.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

European super league on 18:19 - Apr 18 with 1782 viewsKieran_Knows

Let them all go. Fück them. As I’ve seen it mentioned several times as well, if they really want to go, then let them go completely, no Champions League, no players being called up for national teams, the lot. Then we’ll see how serious they are about it.

The game has well and truly gone.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

European super league on 18:20 - Apr 18 with 1775 viewsHARRY10

Best news for football for a long while.

TV money will be cut meaning a far more realistic pay and transfer structure.

Pogba wanting £500,000 a week is absurd, and bears no relation to 99% of the rest of English football/#.

I will open up the game, and focus it more on football than simply money that buys 'success'.
European super league on 18:26 - Apr 18 with 1744 viewspointofblue

I posted that football was dead this morning. Apologies for being about eight hours early.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

European super league on 18:26 - Apr 18 with 1744 viewsyesjohn99

Any point in winning your domestic title if it doesn’t include the ‘best’ teams from your country? Not for me. Devalues the national game beyond belief in my opinion. The TV money will dry up and can’t see too many clubs surviving.

RIP football (again, first time being 1992).
European super league on 18:29 - Apr 18 with 1733 viewspointofblue

I said this elsewhere but I think this is a political move as there has been some push back against the Champions League revamp. A threat to try and force people to embrace it rather than protest against it.

European super league on 18:30 - Apr 18 with 1727 viewsTheBoyBlue

Proof if ever needed that those running these clubs don't understand what makes football what it is, which is the drama of failure as much as the thrill of victory. They can have their little exhibition matches that real football fans will get bored of and the rest of us can get the beautiful game back. Hopefully it'll become a commercial flop.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

European super league on 18:42 - Apr 18 with 1690 viewsChrisd

Pure greed driven by money.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

European super league on 18:44 - Apr 18 with 1688 viewsGuthrum

European super league on 17:23 - Apr 18 by J2BLUE

Our income:debt:wagebill ratio doesn't compare too badly to many of the clubs which will be left (our debt and wagebill are lower than those with higher income and vice-versa). Might be a good opportunity to hoover up what money is left floating around.

Plus I don't think Sky et al will abandon what's left of the Prem/EFL. Too many fans willing to pay to watch their teams, still profits to be made.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

European super league on 19:00 - Apr 18 with 1626 viewsHipsterectomy

I wonder if Celtic and Rangers will join the EPL if this happened

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

European super league on 19:15 - Apr 18 with 1615 viewspointofblue

Copied from elsewhere but some of the reported proposals, according to The Times:

The 15 founder clubs sharing an initial 3.5billion (£3.1billion) euro “infrastructure grant” ranging from £310million to £89million per club which can be spent on stadiums, training facilities or “to replace lost stadium-related revenues due to Covid-19”.

The format would see two groups of 10 clubs who play home and away, with the top four from each group going through to two-legged quarter-finals, semi-finals and a one-legged final.

Matches would be midweek and clubs would still play in domestic leagues.

Clubs would have rights to show four matches a season on their own the digital platforms across the world

Income from TV and sponsorship would favour the founding clubs: 32.5% of the pot would be shared equally between the 15 clubs, and another 32.5% between all Super League clubs including the five qualifiers.

20% of the pot would be merit money “distributed in the same manner as the current English Premier League merit-based system” according to where clubs finish in the competition or group if they don’t make the knock-out stage.

The remaining 15% would a “commercial share based on club awareness”.

A cap of 55% of revenues permitted to be spent on salaries and transfers (net).

A ‘Financial Sustainability Group’ would monitor clubs’ spending.

–––––––––––––

The bit about continuing to compete in the domestic leagues could be difficult...

European super league on 19:20 - Apr 18 with 1588 viewsgiant_stow

European super league on 17:59 - Apr 18 by StokieBlue

Quite a few big clubs not involved though and only 11 signed up.

None of the German clubs involved, only Inter Milan from Italy (edit: just seen it might be Juve and AC as well), PSG not involved. It's basically an England and Spanish league as it stands.

I think people will get bored of seeing Real Madrid vs Liverpool frequently, the reason it's good is because it's a rare event.

I guess we will see.

SB
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 18:00]

Assuming rhe national leagues threats are serious and they have to choose between this new thing or staying out, i think this will fail badly. I can't see fans of those clubs supporting it for a start. It may start and burn brightly for a year or two, but then fade badly as its inbuilt boredom through lack of sporting integrity kicks in.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024