Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Damning statistics - what stands out for you? 07:23 - Apr 22 with 6262 viewsSTYG

From the EADT.

This is what Cook inherited and now has this lot knowing they won’t even be here next year. This is over the season, most of which was when they were presumably trying ...

Ipswich Town’s tally of 41 goals is better than only Bristol Rovers (40) and Northampton (38). Those sides are bottom and 21st respectively.

The Blues average less than a goal a game

They have now played more than nine hours of football without a goal

Ipswich have failed to score in 16 of their 42 League One games to date. Again, Northampton and Bristol Rovers are the only clubs with worse records in this metric

Town have managed to score more than one goal in only 13 of their matches

Town have scored three or more goals in a game just once this season, at Blackpool in September when they managed four. They have by far the worst record in the league in this regard

Their goal difference is currently —3. No club in the top half of any of the EFL divisions has a worse goal difference.

Town’s top scorer, James Norwood, is 56th in the League One scoring charts with six goals to his name. No other club’s leading scoring has fewer goals.

19 of the 24 League One clubs have at least two players who have scored more than Norwood. Gillingham, Lincoln and Rochdale have four players on more than Norwood’s six goals.

Town’s other central strikers, Kayden Jackson, Oli Hawkins, Troy Parrott, Freddie Sears and Aaron Drinan, have scored just one league goal each in a combined 4,671 minutes of action. Many of those appearances are from the bench, but combine for nearly 52 full games of football.

Four of Ipswich’s goals have been ‘own goals’. No team has benefited from more of them this season than Ipswich.

That puts ‘own goal’ joint third in the Ipswich scoring charts, alongside Jon Nolan and Alan Judge and behind Gwion Edwards (5) and James Norwood (6).

Town have only scored 27 league goals from open play this season.

Not one of those has been chalked up as being a ‘counter-attack’ goal.

Ipswich have scored 10 goals from set-pieces this season, with only five teams managing fewer

Town are the only team in League One not to have been awarded a penalty this season. Lincoln have had 10.

Gwion Edwards is 50th in the League One assist charts, with four. No team’s leading assister has fewer to his name than Edwards. 14 teams have multiple players above Edwards on the list. The next Ipswich name on this list are Alan Judge, Norwood, Luke Chambers, Stephen Ward and Teddy Bishop, who all have two.

Ipswich Town average 9.8 shots per game. That’s the fewest in the entire league.

The Blues average 3.2 shots on target per game. Only Wigan and Northampton average fewer.

Town’s 16.1 ‘unsuccessful touches’ per game is the highest in the league

Ipswich have worn their silver away kit five times and have scored two goals (Norwood at Hull and Chambers at Gillingham).

Town have yet to score since the American-backed takeover of the club was completed.

Ipswich have conceded three or more goals in games six times this season, with three of those occasions coming against teams in the bottom six (Swindon, Northampton, Wimbledon)

The Blues are as close to the relegation zone as they are to the automatic promotion places. The gap to both is 18 points.

In the 35 games since Town’s first loss of the season, away at Doncaster on October 20, ended a superb start, the Blues sit 16th in the League One form table

The form table since Paul Cook took charge of the Blues has Town 20th in League One

Only two players (Dion Charles of Accrington and Tyler Smith of Swindon) are caught offside more often per game than James Norwood

Only Hull are caught offside more often than Ipswich as a team

Only five players commit more fouls per game than Andre Dozzell

Town’s combined disciplinary record is fifth-worst in the division, with 72 yellow cards and six reds. Charlton and Accrington have been shown more red cards than Town

Ipswich have used 34 players in League One this season, fewer than only Swindon, Wigan and Burton Albion.

Depressing isn’t the word.
Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:54 - Apr 22 with 1926 viewsTrumptonBlue

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:21 - Apr 22 by LeBlue

"Their goal difference is currently —3. No club in the top half of any of the EFL divisions has a worse goal difference."

Apart from AccrIngton Stanley (-6) and Luton (-12). I'm assuming that some of the other stats are equally made up.

The one about us not being awarded a penalty is wrong.
Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:55 - Apr 22 with 1921 viewswkj

If it isn't a case of caring, I think it is fairly obvious most of our players lost their fitness over the winter. Whether that is a case of individual errors, or a shoddy set up at town - we shall never really know.

However, the comparison to Rovers and Northampton has to be countered with a mostly reliable defence.

We were never going to look close to relegation candidates this season as the early season fitness was there, and we did enough to stave of our late season relegation form.

Heart breaking really, if our players were given access to better fitness professionals AND/ OR they took more agency in their own fitness, we might well be booking our open mini bus tour about this time.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 9:57]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:56 - Apr 22 with 1917 viewsTractorCam

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:54 - Apr 22 by TrumptonBlue

The one about us not being awarded a penalty is wrong.

Indeed, Accrington away with the red card.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 10:08 - Apr 22 with 1908 viewsChurchman

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 08:01 - Apr 22 by STYG

I'm struggling to see how we are good on paper. Take the last side.

Holy - an average League One keeper who conceded 76 goals in the season before we signed him

Ward - Great player in his day but now past it

Wolf - Few good games in the Championship and has now gone backwards spectacularly

McGuinness - Kid that played well in a Trophy game against us

KVY - Looked superb for a dozen games in League One

Dozzell - Had done pretty much nothing in 5 years interrupted by injury

Downes - Some good games in the Championship

Edwards - Handful of good games in Championship, largely inconsistent League One player, amazing on his day which is once every 5 games.

Sears - Absolutely woeful for almost three seasons after being a good Championship player.

Jackson - Scored one goal in about a year at League One level

Bennetts - Kid on loan who has done nothing in senior football.

Who is missing?

Chambers - Great in his day. Now nowhere near good enough for a League One top side
Norwood - Constantly injured - Loads of goals below this level. Did okay last season.
Dobra - Delivered nothing yet
Bishop - Brilliant at times 5 years ago. Glimpses this year.
Skuse - See Chambers
WIlson - Done well at times in League One
Nsiala - Great at this level three years ago. Error prone since. Couple of brilliant games this season. Just as many horror shows.
Kenlock - His best spell for Town has probably come this season in League 1, where he has been average but looked much better than some of the others.

We really aren't great at all on paper.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 8:03]

Good summary of League One’s finest squad.

You forgot Nolan. 61 appearances in three seasons, 8 league goals. Prior to that, 43 appearances 9 goals in one season for Shrewsbury. Before that, a season at Chesterfield and the rest in the national league etc.

Injury prone and inconsistent just about covers it and that’s being kind. 13 appearances this season. £2m for him and Nsiala? Jeez, thanks Hurst.
Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 10:24 - Apr 22 with 1876 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:31 - Apr 22 by The_Flashing_Smile

Look at those stats. They aren't over 12 games fella.

This is just a terrible terrible team. Nothing to do with Cook.

The season stats are heavily influenced by the last 12 games though. Looking at it based on the first 30 games of the season before Cook took charge:

- several teams had scored less goals than us
- we were averaging more than a goal a game
- we had a positive GD
- we had blanked in 9 games out of 30, which is cr*p but a lot less cr*p than 7 of 12
- scored 2+ goals in 12 of 30, compared to 1 in 12
- we had conceded 3+ in 3 out of 30 games, 3 of 12 since including 2 of the bottom 3 highlighted
- our post Doncaster form saw us 14th after the Accrington game, which is rubbish but mitigated partially playing less games than most teams (Hull lie 2nd in that table but only 7 points more and having played 3 more games, for example). By contrast we are 20th since Cook came in with some teams below us having played less. No one has scored less in that time

Obviously we weren’t anywhere near good enough before, and you hardly need a load of selective stats to highlight that we didn’t score enough goals or win enough games. But those stats only look so bad now as we’ve moved onto a completely new level of ineptitude in the past month and half

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 10:27 - Apr 22 with 1870 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 10:24 - Apr 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The season stats are heavily influenced by the last 12 games though. Looking at it based on the first 30 games of the season before Cook took charge:

- we had a positive GD
- we had blanked in 9 games out of 30, which is cr*p but a lot less cr*p than 7 of 12
- we had conceded 3+ in 3 out of 30 games, 3 of 12 since including 2 of the bottom 3 highlighted
- our post Doncaster form saw us 14th after the Accrington game, which is rubbish but mitigated partially playing less games than most teams (Hull lie 2nd in that table but only 7 points more and having played 3 more games, for example). By contrast we are 20th since Cook came in with some teams below us having played less. No one has scored less in that time

Obviously we weren’t anywhere near good enough before, and you hardly need a load of selective stats to highlight that we didn’t score enough goals or win enough games. But those stats only look so bad now as we’ve moved onto a completely new level of ineptitude in the past month and half

You've got too much time on your hands fella.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 10:35 - Apr 22 with 1854 viewsScuzzer

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:34 - Apr 22 by The_Flashing_Smile

Those little tug backs Dozzell does when a player goes past him do my nut in.

It's because he has the pace of a snail with a limp.

Established 1968

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 10:42 - Apr 22 with 1850 viewsBlueBlood90

Wow.

That is absolutely damning evidence of how bad we really are.

What makes it quite funny is how terrible this league is that we've been in with a shout of play-offs and in the top 10 pretty much all season despite having relegation fodder statistics.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Login to get fewer ads

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 10:45 - Apr 22 with 1847 viewsMach_foreignBlue

"Their goal difference is currently —3. No club in the top half of any of the EFL divisions has a worse goal difference."

Apart from AccrIngton Stanley (-6) and Luton (-12). I'm assuming that some of the other stats are equally made up.

Yep as this is an Evans and Lambert's legacy. We need a total earthquake in the summer as this group of wasters has been used to the different environment. Ipswich? Who cares? Nice and easy payday, win or lose everything will be fine, the owner in Evans that doesn't demand promotion, whats not to like for them?

Now everything is about to change and you wonder why they aren't bothered.
Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 10:47 - Apr 22 with 1835 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 10:27 - Apr 22 by The_Flashing_Smile

Coming from someone that spends all day every day arguing on the internet, I’ll take that as a compliment

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 10:48 - Apr 22 with 1830 viewspointofblue

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 10:27 - Apr 22 by The_Flashing_Smile

He’s right though.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 11:27 - Apr 22 with 1776 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 10:47 - Apr 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Coming from someone that spends all day every day arguing on the internet, I’ll take that as a compliment

No I don't.

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 11:30 - Apr 22 with 1773 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 10:48 - Apr 22 by pointofblue

He’s right though.

Not necessarily. He's suggesting we've got worse because of Cook. I'd suggest it could just as easily be that we've got worse since the takeover.

The club has been dying for years. Pulling out a few stats since Cook came in doesn't look at the bigger picture.

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 11:33 - Apr 22 with 1762 viewschrismakin

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 10:24 - Apr 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

- we had a positive GD

I wonder what may have started happening behind the scenes over the past month or so which may have affected things. If only we had some idea.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 11:36 - Apr 22 with 1761 viewsHerbivore

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 11:30 - Apr 22 by The_Flashing_Smile

Not necessarily. He's suggesting we've got worse because of Cook. I'd suggest it could just as easily be that we've got worse since the takeover.

The club has been dying for years. Pulling out a few stats since Cook came in doesn't look at the bigger picture.

I don't think he has said Cook is the cause, just pointed out that we've got worse (remarkably) since could came in. That is undeniably the case and I imagine Cook himself is more disappointed about that than any of us. I have to admit that I was expecting more. Not a barnstorming run to promotion, but better than relegation form. Any blame on Cook is mitigated by several factors, but it's still fair comment to say we've done worse since he came in and that that's really disappointing.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 11:46 - Apr 22 with 1739 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 11:36 - Apr 22 by Herbivore

I don't think he has said Cook is the cause, just pointed out that we've got worse (remarkably) since could came in. That is undeniably the case and I imagine Cook himself is more disappointed about that than any of us. I have to admit that I was expecting more. Not a barnstorming run to promotion, but better than relegation form. Any blame on Cook is mitigated by several factors, but it's still fair comment to say we've done worse since he came in and that that's really disappointing.

I thought the insinuation was pretty clear that this is on Cook, otherwise why mention "since Cook came in"? It's certainly what pointofblue thinks.

I largely agree with the rest of your post, although I don't agree with these constant posts having a pop at Cook. It's far too early and they don't really serve any purpose IMO.

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 11:46 - Apr 22 with 1736 viewsSwansea_Blue

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 11:30 - Apr 22 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yep. I'm as disappointed as anyone with the start Cook has made, but we've just going through the biggest change at the club in a nearly generation, after years of poor leadership and no real plan for the club.

It's going to take a little time for the consortium to stamp their identity on the club and, hopefully assuming they do things right, get us back into decent shape again. I'm assuming PC will be part of those plans; I hope so as he does have a decent record.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 12:07 - Apr 22 with 1719 viewsBarneycurley

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 09:39 - Apr 22 by The_Flashing_Smile

I don't think it is damning for Cook actually. The more I think about it, it's the disruption and uncertainty over the takeover that's made us worse, rather than anything Cook has or hasn't done.

Unfortunately he came in at the same time as that was happening, and people tend to blame managers for poor results. We've been blaming every manager who walks through the door for years. When are we going to realise there are other factors at play?

Or the new manager blames the players...

First 1 we have had in years thats actually taken a club backwards results wise in his say first 12 games.

Pretty damming that for all of the poor players that had us 7th that they are now all showing relegation form. What a turnaround.

But I support his appointment I am just very disappointed in him so far, has shown me absolute nothing but some soundbites thus far.

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 12:38 - Apr 22 with 1702 viewsHerbivore

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 11:46 - Apr 22 by The_Flashing_Smile

I thought the insinuation was pretty clear that this is on Cook, otherwise why mention "since Cook came in"? It's certainly what pointofblue thinks.

I largely agree with the rest of your post, although I don't agree with these constant posts having a pop at Cook. It's far too early and they don't really serve any purpose IMO.

Is it not reasonable to look at how we've done under a new manager? Like I said, there's a lot of caveats as to why we've performed so poorly under Cook but it can't really be denied - and I doubt he'd deny it himself - that we've been anything other than really poor since he came in. Granted, we were poor beforehand too but we were less consistently awful than we have been since he came in.

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 12:53 - Apr 22 with 1670 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 12:38 - Apr 22 by Herbivore

Is it not reasonable to look at how we've done under a new manager? Like I said, there's a lot of caveats as to why we've performed so poorly under Cook but it can't really be denied - and I doubt he'd deny it himself - that we've been anything other than really poor since he came in. Granted, we were poor beforehand too but we were less consistently awful than we have been since he came in.

Of course it's reasonable to look at how he's done. I'd argue, though, that people are going a lot further than just "looking at how he's done." Some are pretty much saying he's not up to the job, which IMO is ludicrous at this early stage.

Everything else in your post I agree with and just seems to be repeating what I already agreed with above.

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 12:54 - Apr 22 with 1668 viewsIllinoisblue

Yeah, but, apart from all that we do have an easy run-in.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 12:57 - Apr 22 with 1664 viewsHerbivore

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 12:54 - Apr 22 by Illinoisblue

Yeah, but, apart from all that we do have an easy run-in.

We do/did. That we've failed so spectacularly with such a kind run of fixtures makes our failure all the worse.

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 13:23 - Apr 22 with 1638 viewspointofblue

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 11:46 - Apr 22 by The_Flashing_Smile

I think Cook deserves to be scrutinised for our regression since he took over as manager as it’s been worse that even the most pessimistic person would have imagined. At the same time he deserves the summer to revamp the club and see what he can do with a fresh start.

As has been said by others, however, what he has lost is any kind of honeymoon period and there will be an edge if we start sluggishly after what is expected to be a summer of change.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 14:23 - Apr 22 with 1605 viewsIllinoisblue

The 9 shots a game had me falling off my chair

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Damning statistics - what stands out for you? on 14:49 - Apr 22 with 1592 viewsStewart27

Town’s other central strikers, Kayden Jackson, Oli Hawkins, Troy Parrott, Freddie Sears and Aaron Drinan, have scored just one league goal each in a combined 4,671 minutes of action. Many of those appearances are from the bench, but combine for nearly 52 full games of football.

Wow
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024