Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election 18:15 - May 4 with 13630 viewspointofblue

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/04/internal-polling-suggests-labou

It could be a case of trying to get the Labour vote out but pretty desperate stuff either way. If this does come to pass, how can a government which has shown obvious signs of incompetence, selfishness and sleaze actually be gaining votes?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 15:35 - May 7 with 933 viewsSpruceMoose

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 11:40 - May 7 by Herbivore

Here's Exhibit A.

Indeed.

The depressing part is that basically people are saying that Labour need to appeal to people like Paz in order to be electable. My problem is, I wouldn't ever vote for a Labour party that was doing, saying, and acting in a way that appealed to the Paz's out there.

I accept that my politics are not aligned with the majority of people in the UK, but the number of people who see the world the way I see it is not an insignificant number, and we have no representation at all and have not had representation at all for three quarters of my life

It's no different to how I felt about UKIP supporters. I can disagree vehemently with their worldview, but it never sat right with me that they never had any kind of representation or formal way of influencing the country's future in the direction they believed in (obviously they found ways to circumnavigate that in the end, but my point still stands and could just as easily be applied to the Greens).

People love to talk about unity, but I fail to see how that's ever going to be possible when a massive number of people get dragged along under a government they object to for vast parts of their life, never having a seat at the table.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 15:41]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:00 - May 7 with 867 viewsgiant_stow

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 14:48 - May 7 by Darth_Koont

It was common sense too when Labour was in government and over the past 10 years in opposition.

This is going to sound hugely cynical but I haven’t seen much to prove it wrong: I just don’t think any of that has been in their own personal interests so they’ve even ducked the electoral advantages.

See the majority of Labour politicians as being just as interested in power, influence and money as their Conservative counterparts and it explains why common sense and equality that can help the many never match the privileged access and economic liberty that is proffered to the few.

I can see why you'd doubt them, but that Labour elite would be even better off in power, so not sure it hangs together.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:01 - May 7 with 852 viewsSpruceMoose

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 15:35 - May 7 by SpruceMoose

Indeed.

The depressing part is that basically people are saying that Labour need to appeal to people like Paz in order to be electable. My problem is, I wouldn't ever vote for a Labour party that was doing, saying, and acting in a way that appealed to the Paz's out there.

I accept that my politics are not aligned with the majority of people in the UK, but the number of people who see the world the way I see it is not an insignificant number, and we have no representation at all and have not had representation at all for three quarters of my life

It's no different to how I felt about UKIP supporters. I can disagree vehemently with their worldview, but it never sat right with me that they never had any kind of representation or formal way of influencing the country's future in the direction they believed in (obviously they found ways to circumnavigate that in the end, but my point still stands and could just as easily be applied to the Greens).

People love to talk about unity, but I fail to see how that's ever going to be possible when a massive number of people get dragged along under a government they object to for vast parts of their life, never having a seat at the table.

Paz downvoting the idea that UKIP voters should have had representation. You couldn't make it up.

Pointless troll, not long for the forum I expect.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 16:02]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:02 - May 7 with 851 views26_Paz

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:01 - May 7 by SpruceMoose

Paz downvoting the idea that UKIP voters should have had representation. You couldn't make it up.

Pointless troll, not long for the forum I expect.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 16:02]

I’m down voting your obsession with me
I’m not sure what you’re having a go at me for, I’ve barely commented on this thread.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 16:05]

The Paz Man

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:04 - May 7 with 821 viewsSpruceMoose

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:02 - May 7 by 26_Paz

I’m down voting your obsession with me
I’m not sure what you’re having a go at me for, I’ve barely commented on this thread.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 16:05]

FFS Paz. I'm not going to let you derail another interesting thread.

The post I replied to referenced you. I merely used you as an example of a voter with a polar opposite worldview to my own. Why would a political party that had to appeal to those with a completely contrary worldview to my own still appeal to me?

Now if you have something sensible to add, please add it. If not, just go away.

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:11 - May 7 with 788 viewshype313

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:04 - May 7 by SpruceMoose

FFS Paz. I'm not going to let you derail another interesting thread.

The post I replied to referenced you. I merely used you as an example of a voter with a polar opposite worldview to my own. Why would a political party that had to appeal to those with a completely contrary worldview to my own still appeal to me?

Now if you have something sensible to add, please add it. If not, just go away.

Seriously Moose, you need to just put him on ignore, whilst I have no great love for Paz or his ideologies, he's quite correct to say you follow him around like a lost sheep, it's obsessive, something you're far better than.

He's barely said a word in this thread, yet you're calling him out for derailing it.

It's clear neither of your views are going to align, why not just ignore eachother?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:15 - May 7 with 775 viewsDarth_Koont

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:00 - May 7 by giant_stow

I can see why you'd doubt them, but that Labour elite would be even better off in power, so not sure it hangs together.

You’d think so. But the only reversal of Labour’s downward trend in the past two decades was 2017 when there was a more progressive agenda. Held up in 2019 compared to 2015 as well despite the juggernaut of Brexit pulling the overall result the wrong way.

The issue these people have is that in a more progressive government they wouldn’t be in power, it would be others who rise to the top.

So, as the Change UK individuals showed, it’s probably as rewarding to sabotage a Labour Party that doesn’t reflect your own interests. Then fail completely on your own terms. As long as you can ensure you’re still going to get rewarded as an individual.

Pronouns: He/Him

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:16 - May 7 with 759 viewsSpruceMoose

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:11 - May 7 by hype313

Seriously Moose, you need to just put him on ignore, whilst I have no great love for Paz or his ideologies, he's quite correct to say you follow him around like a lost sheep, it's obsessive, something you're far better than.

He's barely said a word in this thread, yet you're calling him out for derailing it.

It's clear neither of your views are going to align, why not just ignore eachother?

Hang about matey, point of order.

I made a perfectly reasonable point about where my vote goes if the Labour party transforms sufficiently to appeal to those with a completely ideology than my own which Paz downvoted merely because of who had posted it. I mentioned Paz because Herbs post I'd replied to had mentioned him. I said nothing derogatory about him.

Seems a bit off to be pulling me up here, especially when dear old Phil has this very week threatened the bloke you're sticking up for with a ban for trolling! Now, I'm done discussing Paz, if anyone would like to address the actual content of my post that would be lovely.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 16:21]

Login to get fewer ads

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:19 - May 7 with 748 viewsHARRY10

Will psephologists still be talking about Hartlepool the way they talked about Orpington.

How, in a constituency which voted 70% in favour of brexit reject an avowed Remainer from a Remain party.. they will point out that these are unparalleled times in electoral history ........... apart from all the other times, that is,.

What might be puzzled over in years ahead though is the way voters sought to punish the Labour Party for not stopping the Tory Party from being the Tory Party ........................by voting..... for err, the Tory Party.

How stupidity allowed them to believe that Johnson, Rees-Mogg and Farage represented them, against the establishment. that the most dishonest politician with a long track of lying, cheating and deceiving would not do the same to them. That all his odious behaviour was done for the purpose of levelling up the north.

Whereas Johnson's indifference will see the north suffer as they did under Tostig, all those years back. But then why single out Hartlepool, other they are the current mugs under the spotlight. Replacing fishermen in Cornwall, Hull and Lowestoft. Dairy farmers who have seen their exports plummet. Livestock farmers stuck with pigs they cannot shift and Welsh shellfish exporters who likewise cannot export.

But there is a ray of light. In exchange for open borders with India the UK can sell more fruit to that country. Though the no small matter of who is going to pick the fruit has yet to be resolved.

And fruit crops are a few years off. And require quite a bit of long term investment. Fruit doesn't grow on trees you know. Even magic money trees, which seem to have sprung up quite quickly recently

Maybe some of those Northern dimwits might just wonder why an almost economic white elephants (HS2) is sucking up so much capital, that could have been better used to level up the North.

But then that would require thinking - rather that tugging their forelock to their betters.
Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:21 - May 7 with 740 viewshype313

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:16 - May 7 by SpruceMoose

Hang about matey, point of order.

I made a perfectly reasonable point about where my vote goes if the Labour party transforms sufficiently to appeal to those with a completely ideology than my own which Paz downvoted merely because of who had posted it. I mentioned Paz because Herbs post I'd replied to had mentioned him. I said nothing derogatory about him.

Seems a bit off to be pulling me up here, especially when dear old Phil has this very week threatened the bloke you're sticking up for with a ban for trolling! Now, I'm done discussing Paz, if anyone would like to address the actual content of my post that would be lovely.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 16:21]

He's not trolling, he's just got a different (warped view) than the rest of us.

I'd much rather engage with him to see if he can view things differently rather than just bin him off because he doesn't conform with the status quo.

I thought his comment the other day about exploring all options was abhorrent, but not trolling, if we can help people look at things in a different light then surely that's a positive.

Otherwise this place will be as bland as Starmer.

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:22 - May 7 with 731 viewsStokieBlue

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:19 - May 7 by HARRY10

Will psephologists still be talking about Hartlepool the way they talked about Orpington.

How, in a constituency which voted 70% in favour of brexit reject an avowed Remainer from a Remain party.. they will point out that these are unparalleled times in electoral history ........... apart from all the other times, that is,.

What might be puzzled over in years ahead though is the way voters sought to punish the Labour Party for not stopping the Tory Party from being the Tory Party ........................by voting..... for err, the Tory Party.

How stupidity allowed them to believe that Johnson, Rees-Mogg and Farage represented them, against the establishment. that the most dishonest politician with a long track of lying, cheating and deceiving would not do the same to them. That all his odious behaviour was done for the purpose of levelling up the north.

Whereas Johnson's indifference will see the north suffer as they did under Tostig, all those years back. But then why single out Hartlepool, other they are the current mugs under the spotlight. Replacing fishermen in Cornwall, Hull and Lowestoft. Dairy farmers who have seen their exports plummet. Livestock farmers stuck with pigs they cannot shift and Welsh shellfish exporters who likewise cannot export.

But there is a ray of light. In exchange for open borders with India the UK can sell more fruit to that country. Though the no small matter of who is going to pick the fruit has yet to be resolved.

And fruit crops are a few years off. And require quite a bit of long term investment. Fruit doesn't grow on trees you know. Even magic money trees, which seem to have sprung up quite quickly recently

Maybe some of those Northern dimwits might just wonder why an almost economic white elephants (HS2) is sucking up so much capital, that could have been better used to level up the North.

But then that would require thinking - rather that tugging their forelock to their betters.

I'm not entirely sure that repeatedly posting semi-coherent rants whilst calling a good portion of the population morons, simpletons, idiots, mugs and the various other adjectives you enjoy using is going to resolve any of the issues that you want resolved.

It is however, becoming rather tiresome.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:26 - May 7 with 704 viewsSpruceMoose

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:21 - May 7 by hype313

He's not trolling, he's just got a different (warped view) than the rest of us.

I'd much rather engage with him to see if he can view things differently rather than just bin him off because he doesn't conform with the status quo.

I thought his comment the other day about exploring all options was abhorrent, but not trolling, if we can help people look at things in a different light then surely that's a positive.

Otherwise this place will be as bland as Starmer.

Well you can take the trolling thing up with Phil, as he sees it differently - as do a lot of folk on here. Maybe you just missed the thread in question, it wasn't the bodies piling up in the street thread. It was about Trump and as clear an example of trolling on here as you'll ever see. I can't be arsed to trawl back and find it but Phil's on the record saying he's trolling and warned him of a 'rest'.

Anyway, as I said, I don't want to discuss Paz any further, and wasn't going to until you took us down this line of conversation!

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:29 - May 7 with 678 views26_Paz

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:26 - May 7 by SpruceMoose

Well you can take the trolling thing up with Phil, as he sees it differently - as do a lot of folk on here. Maybe you just missed the thread in question, it wasn't the bodies piling up in the street thread. It was about Trump and as clear an example of trolling on here as you'll ever see. I can't be arsed to trawl back and find it but Phil's on the record saying he's trolling and warned him of a 'rest'.

Anyway, as I said, I don't want to discuss Paz any further, and wasn't going to until you took us down this line of conversation!

I did make one post designed to wind you up. The ‘drain the swamp’ post. Apologies.
Phil told me ‘stop winding people up or I’ll ban you’ paraphrased obviously.
I’ve stopped.
End of story.

The Paz Man

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:31 - May 7 with 666 viewshype313

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:29 - May 7 by 26_Paz

I did make one post designed to wind you up. The ‘drain the swamp’ post. Apologies.
Phil told me ‘stop winding people up or I’ll ban you’ paraphrased obviously.
I’ve stopped.
End of story.

You berk, you have made me look like a right mug .....

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:31 - May 7 with 662 viewsIpswichKnight

Someone has definitely been on the bolli too much after Hartlepool saying “ we believe we can win London” if they get within 10 points of Saddiq I’ll be amazed!
Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:32 - May 7 with 650 viewsSpruceMoose

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:31 - May 7 by hype313

Arf!

Don't worry Hype, I know you're coming at it from a good place and a with a generous spirit!

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:33 - May 7 with 649 viewsJ2BLUE

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:31 - May 7 by hype313

In his defence...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:33 - May 7 with 640 views26_Paz

Apologies. Wasn’t my intention. I thought everyone was aware of what happened.
I’m sure I wasn’t the first person to look to pull someone’s tail with a post and won’t be the last but I’ve taken the feedback on board all the same and haven’t done it since.

The Paz Man

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:36 - May 7 with 616 viewshype313

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:32 - May 7 by SpruceMoose

Arf!

Don't worry Hype, I know you're coming at it from a good place and a with a generous spirit!

Don't know why I bother!

Fk it, it's beer o clock, and I have 6 cans of Kobold in the fridge.

I'm out.

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:36 - May 7 with 610 viewsJ2BLUE

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:33 - May 7 by 26_Paz

Apologies. Wasn’t my intention. I thought everyone was aware of what happened.
I’m sure I wasn’t the first person to look to pull someone’s tail with a post and won’t be the last but I’ve taken the feedback on board all the same and haven’t done it since.

Well done.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:37 - May 7 with 608 viewsfooters

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:31 - May 7 by IpswichKnight

Someone has definitely been on the bolli too much after Hartlepool saying “ we believe we can win London” if they get within 10 points of Saddiq I’ll be amazed!

Think that overconfidence might have come from an Evening Standard story earlier showing Bailey ahead of Khan by 5% in the first two hours of counting. Obviously he'll get nowhere near that - he's been absolutely hopeless for the Tories.

Edit: Counting, not voting. Time for a beer.
[Post edited 7 May 2021 16:39]

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:38 - May 7 with 595 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

"A union jack hangs limply from Labour’s campaign headquarters in Hartlepool. The flag has flown for six weeks over the former vape shop, next to an outlet called We Sell Owt...."

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:38 - May 7 with 592 viewsHARRY10

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:22 - May 7 by StokieBlue

I'm not entirely sure that repeatedly posting semi-coherent rants whilst calling a good portion of the population morons, simpletons, idiots, mugs and the various other adjectives you enjoy using is going to resolve any of the issues that you want resolved.

It is however, becoming rather tiresome.

SB

I suppose I am expected to apologise for your hurt feelings, but instead I will offer my thanks to you for reading my posts - and looking forward to an attempt by you to refute even the smallest part of them.

Meanwhile I am not sure why you think that my posting on here will resolve something.

I posted yesterday about the fishing dispute in Jersey. I do hope you did not similarly get confused in thinking I was expecting my words to resolve anything there.

And as being a rightie I don't expect much in the way of understanding things, but even you must grasp that Hartlepool is not "a good portion of the population"
Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:43 - May 7 with 556 viewsSwansea_Blue

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 15:35 - May 7 by SpruceMoose

Indeed.

The Greens is an interesting one. Given the current position with regards to Climate Change and environmental issues in general, you could maybe argue that rather than us all talking about trying to resurrect an ailing (dying?) Labour party, maybe we'd be better off putting that energy into the Greens. It sounds stupid idea in the context of UK politics, but they have major representation on the continent and in the EU. And they tend to tick the box on social responsibility.

Now that would be real change. Granted, it would take hell of an effort to change the narrative enough to make them a serious proposition in the public's eyes (but then that's not too different from where we're at with Labour!).

Or I could be talking bollox, which is more than likely.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:45 - May 7 with 547 viewsjeera

Conservatives predicted to win Hartlepool by-election on 16:38 - May 7 by HARRY10

I suppose I am expected to apologise for your hurt feelings, but instead I will offer my thanks to you for reading my posts - and looking forward to an attempt by you to refute even the smallest part of them.

Meanwhile I am not sure why you think that my posting on here will resolve something.

I posted yesterday about the fishing dispute in Jersey. I do hope you did not similarly get confused in thinking I was expecting my words to resolve anything there.

And as being a rightie I don't expect much in the way of understanding things, but even you must grasp that Hartlepool is not "a good portion of the population"

SB is hardly a 'rightie' is he.

You've gone off the rails lately.

In the [fairly recent] past I've read your posts and usually nod along, but lately I dunno what's got into you.

I know you're not interested in my advice, but if you ever were for one moment, it would be carry on but maybe calm it down a bit? And condense your posts to maybe halve the content.

Anyway, that's all. Thanks for listening.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024