Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Couple of concerns on Cook strategy 08:06 - May 22 with 5209 viewsunstableblue

Obviously I like Cook and what he has to say, desperately want him to succeed, and know we need a complete reset at Town on and off the pitch.

But a few niggles…

Wilson stating “When the new manager [Paul Cook] came in he said pretty early that he wanted his own players and he was very honest about it.” - how early was that? Cook needed to come in and galvanise the team, put some incremental changes to system and selection and win TWO, yes 2, more than we did. And it’s the play-off lottery. Why talk about bringing in his own players until the season was over?! Listening to Blackpool players last night saying that Critchley is so clear in tactics it’s easy and always gets then right! The end of campaign was a disaster here.

Telling every player to go and get a new club ahead of the new season?! Would you not give Downes or a Dobra a chance? Can you really source a player better than Downes? Is it notvthat he needs managing and coaching? More worryingly with two key targets seemingly lost…. Can we actually bring in 15-20 players?! Is it physically possible? And if you’ve told all the players they’re not good enough what’s plan B if we can’t.

I’m sure and hope I’ll be eating my own words on this, and his a track record of large scale change at Pompey.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 14:37 - May 22 with 1153 viewshype313

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 08:38 - May 22 by thebooks

I agree. I would have liked a “not sure” option in the questionnaire when asked whether I thought Cook was the right choice going forward.

I did rate his performance last season as “very poor”, because 4 wins from 16 with our squad is exactly that. To not get in the play-offs was a simple failure, regardless of all the noise about the losing mentality of the squad.

To basically say players like Downes and Dozzell can FO if they want to doesn’t sit well with me, regardless of whether it’s the “Ipswich way” or not. Are we really saying we can’t do anything with them at all? That we can just get better players by going out and buying them?

Our fans have been clamouring for the club to “give the youths a chance” for years, but when it does happen we’re then happy for that approach to be torn up? (I think you might have described that as “unseemly”, which I think is right.)

Apart from anything, this strikes me as bad strategy — it’s expensive and puts a huge amount of pressure on signing lots of new, good quality players from scratch. Our record of signings over the last few seasons has been diabolical — are we able to change that in a few months?

But like you say, we can only assume there are plans in place, 9 or so new good players lined up and we’ll have forgotten any concerns this time next year.

" To not get in the play offs is a simple failure"

What has this squad done in the past 3 years for them to be challenging promotion?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 14:57 - May 22 with 1126 viewsVic

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 11:27 - May 22 by ElephantintheRoom

It's a tad worse that than - a number of those disillusioned and demoralised players have contracts and will return in six weeks time - probably to form the nucleus of next season's team knowing they will in all probability be here longer than the manager.

Add in his pathetic behaviour, awful man management , bringing dud yes men - and tendancy to criticise players to cover his own blatantly obvious shortcomings - and it is not exactly a recipe for success, nor exactly guaranteed to endear himself to his erstwhile new employers, when and if they every have the time to see how their investment is doing.

I'll be very surprised if he is not long gone by Xmas.

If those players haven’t been able to find a better club to buy them on better terms than they have here then I would jolly well hope they would come back with a bit of humility and knuckle down rather than continuing to grumble.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 15:08 - May 22 with 1116 viewsitfcjoe

I think it's going to be incredibly difficult to have the squad in a manageable state before the start of pre season - presuming we have 6 weeks for pre season then we are back here on 28th June.

We currently have 20 senior players, of which the vast majority have been told they can leave, so means realistically we need to get at least 10 players out, and at least 10 players in. Can anyone see that not dragging on into late July and August......?!

If we want to recruit 'as a Championship side' then it's going to be incredibly difficult, even more so when you consider we are now under very strict SCMP rules which means we just can't offer the money needed to attract too many players of that calibre.

I think we've tried to have our cake and eat it, by taking options on Nsiala, Donacien, Bishop, Drinan and Jackson, if we intend on shifting them.

There is so much work to do, and if we can't get it done there are so many relationships to be repaired - it all feels very precarious and I dread to see where we are on June 28th......hopefully it will have righted itself by August 7th

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 15:09 - May 22 with 1108 viewsVic

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 12:10 - May 22 by Hipsterectomy

I’ve never known a group of fans where a large proportion collectively lose faith in a manager within 2 months

Is a job probation period in Suffolk a week or something?

I’m not sure how many have lost faith in him really. I just think many of us are surprised/disappointed in the way he’s gone about his business rather than what he’s actually done. To bin the entire squad, including those who we almost universally think have real potential (Dobra, KVY, Downes, Woolfie) seems a little extreme and a bit unnecessary. I’d have much preferred that he told some of them that he’d really like them to stay and be part of the project but would let them go if they really wanted to.

So for me he’s just made things more difficult and lifted the risk levels.

All this and coupled with the total inability to motivate them when he came in just means he hasn’t got as much credit in the bank with me as he had I when he started. I’m supporting him, but am nervous.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 15:17 - May 22 with 1097 viewsaustractor

Good post.

I remain skeptical as so far Cook has come in and done worse than Lambert did with the same set of players, right? That to me comes down to his management.

Saying that we wil listen to offers for every player seems over the top. The fact is we will always listen to offers for any player regardless of what he says, so perhaps until he had a confirmed plan for replacement players he should have done his best to keep those remaining on side.

I dont know, Im a fan not a manager. Probably just jaded from the last 4 donkeys we had in the dugout.
Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 16:01 - May 22 with 1053 viewschrismakin

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 15:08 - May 22 by itfcjoe

I think it's going to be incredibly difficult to have the squad in a manageable state before the start of pre season - presuming we have 6 weeks for pre season then we are back here on 28th June.

We currently have 20 senior players, of which the vast majority have been told they can leave, so means realistically we need to get at least 10 players out, and at least 10 players in. Can anyone see that not dragging on into late July and August......?!

If we want to recruit 'as a Championship side' then it's going to be incredibly difficult, even more so when you consider we are now under very strict SCMP rules which means we just can't offer the money needed to attract too many players of that calibre.

I think we've tried to have our cake and eat it, by taking options on Nsiala, Donacien, Bishop, Drinan and Jackson, if we intend on shifting them.

There is so much work to do, and if we can't get it done there are so many relationships to be repaired - it all feels very precarious and I dread to see where we are on June 28th......hopefully it will have righted itself by August 7th

Thing is. We as fans dont know how much time the new owners are allowing PC to get us up.

Berk when interviews gave mix messages

He said first championship next season or the season after.
Next he said hea also a football fan so lacks patience sometimes.

So it depends what the patience they have as owners not as fans.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 16:12 - May 22 with 1035 viewspatrickswell

The body language and attitude of this squad has been that they seem to be as sick of Ipswich Town as we are of them representing us. It really doesn’t matter who Cook brings in to work with this squad, too many of them are mentally shot and or actively toxic to our chances. Edwards free kick vs Wimbledon seemed to sum it up. “F this club, F these fans, F this manager”.

No-one has stood out. No one has produced from far too long. Rip ‘em out and rebuild from the ground up.
Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 16:17 - May 22 with 1027 viewsxrayspecs

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 14:23 - May 22 by unstableblue

As I posted before, whilst early deals have clearly been attempted, I think the big push comes when Ashton is fully on board in a week. Although I’m sure he’s already active for Town.

I expect some exciting and excellent signings this summer… but KVY, Norwood, Nolan and Edwards will need a very significant number of players around them to create a squad. And volume is hard due to competition for players.
[Post edited 22 May 2021 14:24]

We have been talking to a lot of players for quite some time. Players are not going to rush into anything, especially the players we are targeting. They are still under contract with current clubs and will be for another six weeks. We will start to see movements as we get into June. That is not Ashton, that is just when players tend to start to join new clubs.
Login to get fewer ads

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 16:23 - May 22 with 1002 viewsthebooks

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 16:01 - May 22 by chrismakin

Thing is. We as fans dont know how much time the new owners are allowing PC to get us up.

Berk when interviews gave mix messages

He said first championship next season or the season after.
Next he said hea also a football fan so lacks patience sometimes.

So it depends what the patience they have as owners not as fans.

This is a good question.

You’d hope they were impatient. After all, what’s the point of buying the club and spending any more time in League One than absolutely necessary. They’d just lose money.

As fans, do we really want to hear any more about rebuilding jobs? That’s all we’ve had since McCarthy left, and it’s just been used as a way of explaining away poor peformances.
Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 16:27 - May 22 with 985 viewsjayessess

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 16:12 - May 22 by patrickswell

The body language and attitude of this squad has been that they seem to be as sick of Ipswich Town as we are of them representing us. It really doesn’t matter who Cook brings in to work with this squad, too many of them are mentally shot and or actively toxic to our chances. Edwards free kick vs Wimbledon seemed to sum it up. “F this club, F these fans, F this manager”.

No-one has stood out. No one has produced from far too long. Rip ‘em out and rebuild from the ground up.

Edwards is currently the only player we know 100% that Cook wants to keep.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 16:28 - May 22 with 975 viewschrismakin

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 16:23 - May 22 by thebooks

This is a good question.

You’d hope they were impatient. After all, what’s the point of buying the club and spending any more time in League One than absolutely necessary. They’d just lose money.

As fans, do we really want to hear any more about rebuilding jobs? That’s all we’ve had since McCarthy left, and it’s just been used as a way of explaining away poor peformances.

I was surprised to read yesturday that apparently the contract talks regarding Bradley fell through because of lengh of contract. I hope this isnt true as weve have nothing but short term deals for a while now and that doesnt show for me a long term plan.

I just want to see a time where we get back to adding maybe 1 or 2 players only at the end of a season that improves the side.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 16:30 - May 22 with 965 viewspatrickswell

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 16:27 - May 22 by jayessess

Edwards is currently the only player we know 100% that Cook wants to keep.

I have to confess that I’m hoping it’s purely for sell on value. Him, Donacien and Nolan all being retained will really test my patience.
Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 16:32 - May 22 with 950 viewschrismakin

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 16:30 - May 22 by patrickswell

I have to confess that I’m hoping it’s purely for sell on value. Him, Donacien and Nolan all being retained will really test my patience.

If we can get Edwards fit and back to the player he was at posh hes a solid wide player. The problem is. Just like alot of our players. Hes put on weight. Hes not as agile and hes gone backwards.

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 16:33 - May 22 with 950 viewsChurchman

This is a good question.

It depends on what you rebuild with. If your aim is mid table, don’t rock the boat, costs down while other clubs push on, inevitably you will wind up with abject performances and looking up with envy to Lincoln, Peterborough and Blackpool. The trick is to rebuild properly. First and foremost that means putting proper structure into the club itself. We’ve been hollowed out by Evans.
Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 16:37 - May 22 with 930 viewsjayessess

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 16:30 - May 22 by patrickswell

Edwards has been offered a new contract, there's no chance it's for "sell on value".

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 16:58 - May 22 with 903 viewspatrickswell

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 16:37 - May 22 by jayessess

Edwards has been offered a new contract, there's no chance it's for "sell on value".

Cook Out....
Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 18:20 - May 22 with 846 viewsElephantintheRoom

This is a good question.

The 'owners' are not the owners. Berke Bakay owns 33% of the departed Marcus Evans holding - ie 1.66667%

Year one promotion is expected. There has to be a return on 'investment' . There will be nothing in the plan for what happens if promotion is not achieved after year two at the absolute latest..

Having once made the mistake of working for an American-owned company I can assure you that there is no long term thinking.... only bottom line thinking.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 18:41 - May 22 with 820 viewsChurchman

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 18:20 - May 22 by ElephantintheRoom

The 'owners' are not the owners. Berke Bakay owns 33% of the departed Marcus Evans holding - ie 1.66667%

Year one promotion is expected. There has to be a return on 'investment' . There will be nothing in the plan for what happens if promotion is not achieved after year two at the absolute latest..

Having once made the mistake of working for an American-owned company I can assure you that there is no long term thinking.... only bottom line thinking.

Give it a rest. Your team has been promoted. Be happy.
Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 20:04 - May 22 with 770 viewschrismakin

Incorrect. There is a lot more at play than just being board members of the club. The town itself will have some changes made to it in the upcoming years.

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 20:15 - May 22 with 752 viewsjeera

Are you sure?

Don't Gamechanger, of which Bakay is a part, own most of the club?

Evans maintains a 5% interest for whatever reasons.

Matey doesn't own a share of Evans' 5% now does he?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 20:24 - May 22 with 726 viewsJ2BLUE

One of the boss men recently said thing thing about pension funds is their long term outlook.

Now we have you telling us your two grill stars qualify you to tell us they are wrong.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 20:27 - May 22 with 717 viewschrismakin

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 20:15 - May 22 by jeera

Are you sure?

Isnt it

Gamechanger 88%
Itfc plc 12%

Org have 80% of gamechanger
Berk. Brett. Mark. Marcus E have 5% of gamechanger

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 20:29 - May 22 with 713 viewsJ2BLUE

Are you sure?

He's talking about an equivalent. Not literally a third of Evans' stake.

It's a ridiculous argument. Considering the Three Lions are board members.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 20:32 - May 22 with 707 viewsitfcjoe

Are you sure?

Game changer own 87.5% of the club

Of that 87.5% - the ORG own 90%, Evans owns 5% and the Three Lions (Johnson, Bakay and Detmer) own 5%

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 20:35 - May 22 with 694 viewsjeera

Couple of concerns on Cook strategy on 20:32 - May 22 by itfcjoe

Game changer own 87.5% of the club

Of that 87.5% - the ORG own 90%, Evans owns 5% and the Three Lions (Johnson, Bakay and Detmer) own 5%

I see, gotcha.

Still not sure why the poster is so keen on spinning the negative on this all the time.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024