Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU 22:07 - Jun 21 with 1816 viewsPinewoodblue

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/21/eu-prepares-cut-amount-british-tv-

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 22:10 - Jun 21 with 1784 viewsStokieBlue

I guess it's up to them if they don't want to show UK content, although TV is one of the things we are actually pretty good at.

Interesting that they aren't applying the same principles to wind turbines where they are currently complaining about protectionism and the fact that the UK are favouring UK suppliers for new wind turbines.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 22:12 - Jun 21 with 1754 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I like that they are cancelling us.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 22:15 - Jun 21 with 1741 viewsPinewoodblue

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 22:10 - Jun 21 by StokieBlue

I guess it's up to them if they don't want to show UK content, although TV is one of the things we are actually pretty good at.

Interesting that they aren't applying the same principles to wind turbines where they are currently complaining about protectionism and the fact that the UK are favouring UK suppliers for new wind turbines.

SB

Should be up to each nation, if the EU keep this up if we ever have another referendum going to be unnecessarily difficult to get a yes result. Almost as if they are glad to see the back of us.

2023 year of destiny

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 22:19 - Jun 21 with 1731 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is this going to be another example of people here being surprised and angry that the EU don’t want us as a partner anymore after we told them we didn’t want to be a partner anymore?

It seems a bit overly protectionist to me, but their choice.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 22:21 - Jun 21 with 1717 viewsFtnfwest

Whether people in EU countries like it or not
Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 22:28 - Jun 21 with 1689 viewsSwansea_Blue

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 22:15 - Jun 21 by Pinewoodblue

Should be up to each nation, if the EU keep this up if we ever have another referendum going to be unnecessarily difficult to get a yes result. Almost as if they are glad to see the back of us.

Should it have been up to individual nations when we were a member, or only now? I don’t remember people complaining about this before.

That article says that France is twice as strict on EU origin material, so who’s to say a nation by nation approach would be better for the UK?

This is simply another example of the consequences of our actions. We’d have been aware of this had we had a informed referendum and it’s too late to worry about it now.

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 22:30 - Jun 21 with 1682 viewsXYZ

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 22:10 - Jun 21 by StokieBlue

SB

Presumably the wind turbines are covered by the Treaty and broadcasting isn't covered?

One is a breach of a Treaty and the other isn't?

Edit: beach to breach
[Post edited 21 Jun 2021 22:34]
Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 22:33 - Jun 21 with 1676 viewsPinewoodblue

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 22:28 - Jun 21 by Swansea_Blue

Should it have been up to individual nations when we were a member, or only now? I don’t remember people complaining about this before.

That article says that France is twice as strict on EU origin material, so who’s to say a nation by nation approach would be better for the UK?

This is simply another example of the consequences of our actions. We’d have been aware of this had we had a informed referendum and it’s too late to worry about it now.

France has had restrictions in force for years to protect the French language, they stipulate a minimum percentage of music on radio must be in French language.

2023 year of destiny

Login to get fewer ads

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 22:39 - Jun 21 with 1640 viewsmarchy

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 22:33 - Jun 21 by Pinewoodblue

France has had restrictions in force for years to protect the French language, they stipulate a minimum percentage of music on radio must be in French language.

BUT BRUSSELS MAKE ALL THEIR RULES THEY SHOULD TAKE BACK CONTROL
Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 22:40 - Jun 21 with 1631 viewsKropotkin123

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 22:33 - Jun 21 by Pinewoodblue

Zut alors!

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 08:48 - Jun 22 with 1398 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Just playing the Devil's advocate ...can you imagine the meltdown on here if our govt. said they were limiting the amount of European/foreign television shown in the UK...
Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 08:50 - Jun 22 with 1387 viewshype313

Sounds great if it was 20 years ago, but can't see Netflix switching off the Crown for the French people to appease Macron.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 09:09 - Jun 22 with 1352 viewsvapour_trail

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 08:48 - Jun 22 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Just playing the Devil's advocate ...can you imagine the meltdown on here if our govt. said they were limiting the amount of European/foreign television shown in the UK...

No, I can’t.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 09:12 - Jun 22 with 1344 viewschicoazul

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 08:48 - Jun 22 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Half a dozen people moaning about not being able to watch repeats of The Bridge.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 09:14 - Jun 22 with 1338 viewsHighgateBlue

Out of interest (I am out of touch on such matters), do you know whether the French have any similar restrictions on Netflix in France? If not, I can't see how regulating radio is going to make any difference in the 21st century. Presumably they don't have any such restrictions on spotify and similar - that would be really odd.

I have been enjoying some French content on Netflix (Call my agent, Lupin, Family Business), so it doesn't simply have to be an agent of American culture, but I see how that's how it must appear to the French. I have some sympathy with them, but it's not a tide that they will be able to turn I'm afraid.
Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 09:45 - Jun 22 with 1284 viewsEddyJ

These quotas exist to protect "European culture". Last time I checked, the UK is part of Europe and thus UK culture is European culture.

In other words, this is an unnessesary, petty, retaliatory act from the EU because of Brexit. It has nothing to do with protecting culture.

The UK dared to think we could leave the EU. The EU are going to snub the UK, and force the outcomes of that snub on their member states and voters.
Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 10:49 - Jun 22 with 1228 viewsgiant_stow

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 09:45 - Jun 22 by EddyJ

These quotas exist to protect "European culture". Last time I checked, the UK is part of Europe and thus UK culture is European culture.

In other words, this is an unnessesary, petty, retaliatory act from the EU because of Brexit. It has nothing to do with protecting culture.

The UK dared to think we could leave the EU. The EU are going to snub the UK, and force the outcomes of that snub on their member states and voters.

I read something suggesting that the EU is overstepping its powers on this and it may be an illegal ban - something about this being covered by a wider-pan Europe organisation, but I can't remember.

Anyway, its their choice (if the above isn’t true!), but it’s silver lining of being out that this isn’t imposed on us.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 11:30 - Jun 22 with 1203 viewsEireannach_gorm

This is not anti UK just Audiovisual Media Services Directive (AVMSD) which promotes EU produced content.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=uriserv:OJ.C_.2020.223.01.00

Seems the UK are no longer in the EU!

I don't know how this ties in with the European Broadcasting Union ( EBU ) who has many non EU and European members.

Ireland would have a much better chance in the Eurovision if there could be a directive against non EU participation!
Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 11:44 - Jun 22 with 1179 viewsLord_Lucan

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 08:50 - Jun 22 by hype313

Sounds great if it was 20 years ago, but can't see Netflix switching off the Crown for the French people to appease Macron.

It's nothing to do with Netflix or Amazon, I believe they are unaffected but it does affect Europes terrestrial television.

It's all a bit daft really but there you go, if EU wants to tell their people what they can and cannot watch then let them get on with the mind control.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 12:09 - Jun 22 with 1145 viewsLord_Lucan

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 22:28 - Jun 21 by Swansea_Blue

Re your last paragraph.

1/ It doesn't affect us, it really isn't of any consequence to us whatsoever.

2/ So you think the British public should have been informed that if we leave then Line of Duty might not in the future be available in Madrid?
[Post edited 22 Jun 2021 12:13]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 19:55 - Jun 22 with 1042 viewsSwansea_Blue

There wasn’t a meltdown on here as far as I can remember when we did actually do that that (‘scuse the dodgy link; it was the first one that popped up): https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4979414/amp/Ofco

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 20:14 - Jun 22 with 1020 viewsnoggin

They need us more than we need them.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 11:34 - Jun 23 with 898 viewsSwansea_Blue

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 12:09 - Jun 22 by Lord_Lucan

Re your last paragraph.

1/ It doesn't affect us, it really isn't of any consequence to us whatsoever.

2/ So you think the British public should have been informed that if we leave then Line of Duty might not in the future be available in Madrid?
[Post edited 22 Jun 2021 12:13]

Oops missed this.

Agreed it's not about you and me. It's the UK TV and film industry that loses out. They generated £1.4bn in income from international broadcast rights last year. A chunk of that is now under threat, so that's bound to have a knock on effect on jobs and future investment.

That's 1.5x the size of the whole of the UK's fishing industry, which was made front and centre of the Brexit campaign. I don't think it would have hurt to have known that our creative industries were under threat; it's one of our fastest growing industries.

Now, according to Guardian, EU want to reduce UK content shown on TV in EU on 11:37 - Jun 23 with 893 viewsElderGrizzly

It's almost like English is one of the most dominant and common languages in the world and a lot of content is made with that as the first language...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024