Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Defence 09:12 - Jul 22 with 2814 viewschicoazul

Mentioned in another thread; our defence last season wasn’t really a problem, nor the season before. But we haven’t replaced Chambers or McG yet. We need to get a move on and replace at the very least Chambo with a good quality signing who will offer what he offered in terms of organising, getting into the refs ear, winding the opposition up, motivating the team on the pitch. I hoped we would have replaced him by now and I guess in a way we may have done some of that with Evans but we do still need that high level big tough CB, and ideally a McG replacement too.

Sort it out Ashton etc etc

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Defence on 09:28 - Jul 22 with 2386 viewsportmanking

I thought 3-4 new faces were nailed on this week, anyhow?
Defence on 09:29 - Jul 22 with 2391 viewschrismakin

"organising, getting into the refs ear, winding the opposition up, motivating the team on the pitch"

Eh? almost the complete opposite of what Chambers would do.

Simply, however we just need a nice solid kick em in the air CB like De Vos. That is all.
We have fullbacks, we have youngster CB's etc

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

We won't get promoted..... on 09:33 - Jul 22 with 2366 viewsBloots

....with Nsiala-Lol as a first choice centre back.

Simple as that.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Defence on 09:34 - Jul 22 with 2361 viewsOsborneOneNil

Replacing the Chambers of the last 2 years or so isn’t tricky, is it. Brought little to the table. As you say, Evans may well be the man to get to the ref etc.

Agree with us needing a De Vos type CB.
Defence on 09:34 - Jul 22 with 2359 viewsWallingford_Boy

Replaced Ward with Penney/Coulson.... thats a huge improvement!

KVY (might) be back, so thats Chambers replaced (plus Donacien looking good pre-season, so thats cover sorted).

Woolfie nailed on for one CB slot, plenty of youngsters lining up as his cover.

But yes, one experienced CB needed (with Nsiala as cover).

RIP Sir Bobby

Defence on 09:43 - Jul 22 with 2307 viewsBseaBlue

Defence on 09:34 - Jul 22 by Wallingford_Boy

KVY (might) be back, so thats Chambers replaced (plus Donacien looking good pre-season, so thats cover sorted).

I still think we need a minimum of 2 personally. Not sure we can be trusting Wolfie to play every game based on last seasons form.
Defence on 09:55 - Jul 22 with 2241 viewsNazemariner

We currently have starting centre backs who struggled to get in the first team last season. One right back, who is almost certainly still injured, and two left backs that we don't know which is the best, although we know for sure that one of them is not particularly good.

If you beleive the old adage, that success is built on a strong foundation, then we still have a lot to do.
Defence on 09:59 - Jul 22 with 2212 viewsclive_baker

I thought it was a problem in the sense we seemed so committed to 'building out from the back', but by and large didn't have players that were good enough or comfortable enough on the ball to do it with any real quality, pace or purpose. There were certainly questions marks over those in front of them too, but had we been a bit more aware of our weaknesses and limitations, and adopted a more pragmatic approach, we might've fared a little better IMO. Not wanting to live in the past but I still maintain MM or someone of his ilk would've had us top 6. He would've had a big man up front, graft and a bit of quality wide, and let the defenders defend. Not expect Nsiala and Wilson to turn into Baresi overnight. I don't think this is an easy league to get out of, but L1 really shouldn't be as hard as we've made it look over the past 24 months either.

Agree we need a couple of defensive heads though. We really have next to no depth in the middle or at right back.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Defence on 10:01 - Jul 22 with 2211 viewsbraveblue

Amazing how people talk about this mythical Chambers. If he was that good would someone in the Championship or League 1 not have signed him?
Yep, there's a bit of confusion amongst some fans..... on 10:01 - Jul 22 with 2214 viewsBloots

Defence on 09:55 - Jul 22 by Nazemariner

We currently have starting centre backs who struggled to get in the first team last season. One right back, who is almost certainly still injured, and two left backs that we don't know which is the best, although we know for sure that one of them is not particularly good.

If you beleive the old adage, that success is built on a strong foundation, then we still have a lot to do.

....that are saying the defence wasn't our problem last season, whilst also stating that Chambers was rubbish and that we don't need to replace him.

Entirely missing the fact that he played 39 times in the "defence that wasn't a problem"

In reality we probably need cover across the entire back 4.

With Coulson coming in we should be OK on the left, but is Donacian good enough to cover an injury prone first choice right back? Probably not.

And the less said about the centre back position the better.

As noted below..... on 10:03 - Jul 22 with 2191 viewsBloots

Defence on 10:01 - Jul 22 by braveblue

Amazing how people talk about this mythical Chambers. If he was that good would someone in the Championship or League 1 not have signed him?

....the general agreement is that our defence wasn't an issue last year, the stats tend to prove that.

(Despite having a keeper that wouldn't dive)

He played more games in that defence than anyone else.

His time was done here, but we need to replace him, that can't be denied.

Defence on 10:06 - Jul 22 with 2157 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Gillingham tried to.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

As noted below..... on 10:25 - Jul 22 with 2085 viewsBlueBadger

As noted below..... on 10:03 - Jul 22 by Bloots

....the general agreement is that our defence wasn't an issue last year, the stats tend to prove that.

(Despite having a keeper that wouldn't dive)

He played more games in that defence than anyone else.

His time was done here, but we need to replace him, that can't be denied.

You forgot to say 'no-one can truly replace Chambo though. What a man'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Goes without saying. (n/t) on 10:35 - Jul 22 with 2043 viewsBloots

As noted below..... on 10:25 - Jul 22 by BlueBadger

You forgot to say 'no-one can truly replace Chambo though. What a man'.

Defence on 10:39 - Jul 22 with 1991 viewsSwansea_Blue

Defence on 09:43 - Jul 22 by BseaBlue

I still think we need a minimum of 2 personally. Not sure we can be trusting Wolfie to play every game based on last seasons form.

Yep, we need 2 unless there are any in the U23s ready to breakthrough. Can’t go into a season with only 2 CBs - it’d be suicide.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Defence on 10:52 - Jul 22 with 1955 viewsChrisd

'Not really a problem', doesn't mean that it can't be improved. We should be striving to be the best in this league and having that attitude, not accepting that being 4th or 5th best defensively is alright. After all, Fleetwood who finished 15th conceded the same amount of goals as us last season.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Defence on 11:12 - Jul 22 with 1908 viewschicoazul

He had interest. But he wanted to be near home. Chambers’ time had come here but he was a key part of one of the best defences in the division for the last two years and he needs to be properly replaced not just Toto, who I like but is no Chambers.
Fwiw I think we need one of our two new defenders to be able to play RB too as Janoi just isn’t very good and Kane is constantly injured.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Defence on 11:20 - Jul 22 with 1881 viewsJ2BLUE

Defence on 09:34 - Jul 22 by Wallingford_Boy

KVY replacement for Chambers? What?

We need two centre backs if Donacien is staying as RB cover. Also a LB unless Coulson is done.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 11:21]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Defence on 11:34 - Jul 22 with 1834 viewsParsley

Defence on 11:20 - Jul 22 by J2BLUE

KVY replacement for Chambers? What?

We need two centre backs if Donacien is staying as RB cover. Also a LB unless Coulson is done.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 11:21]

Chambers played the majority of the season at RB so really at CB we're replacing Wilson and McGuinness. Maybe Ndaba has developed enough to be fourth choice? That would still leave us needing one starting CB
Defence on 12:05 - Jul 22 with 1755 viewsBlueBadger

Defence on 10:52 - Jul 22 by Chrisd

'Not really a problem', doesn't mean that it can't be improved. We should be striving to be the best in this league and having that attitude, not accepting that being 4th or 5th best defensively is alright. After all, Fleetwood who finished 15th conceded the same amount of goals as us last season.

At the moment, it's a 'competent for the third division' defence.

We will need far better than Nsialalol should we achieve promotion.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

We won't get promoted..... on 12:09 - Jul 22 with 1750 viewsPrideOfTheEast

We won't get promoted..... on 09:33 - Jul 22 by Bloots

....with Nsiala-Lol as a first choice centre back.

Simple as that.

Was about to post the same. Need 2 in.
Defence on 12:10 - Jul 22 with 1741 viewsJ2BLUE

Defence on 11:34 - Jul 22 by Parsley

Chambers played the majority of the season at RB so really at CB we're replacing Wilson and McGuinness. Maybe Ndaba has developed enough to be fourth choice? That would still leave us needing one starting CB

Out of necessity. I wouldn't say KVY is a replacement for Chambers. We need an experienced solid CB who can start 40+ games.

I'm unconvinced on Woolf and Ndaba (purely because I haven't seen him play). Nsiala is ok IMO but i'd be disappointed if we didn't see two top CBs for this level arrive in the next week or two.

Truly impaired.

Defence on 14:09 - Jul 22 with 1569 viewsChrisd

Defence on 12:05 - Jul 22 by BlueBadger

At the moment, it's a 'competent for the third division' defence.

We will need far better than Nsialalol should we achieve promotion.

That's not really striving to be the best we can be. I'd rather be good, than competent - 3rd division or not.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 14:09]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Defence on 14:35 - Jul 22 with 1504 viewsGarv

Ignoring the fact he wanted to move to a club 15 minutes down the road and not uproot his family.

I imagine a large number of those who crossed the border this summer could have easily got moves higher up the leagues.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Defence on 14:47 - Jul 22 with 1455 viewsJ2BLUE

Defence on 14:35 - Jul 22 by Garv

Ignoring the fact he wanted to move to a club 15 minutes down the road and not uproot his family.

I imagine a large number of those who crossed the border this summer could have easily got moves higher up the leagues.

Gillingham wanted him. They finished 2 points below us.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024