Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keane and his biggest regret 14:49 - Aug 10 with 3057 viewscbower

Quite frankly, nobody could have wasted Evans' big money outlay any more than Roy. I think the fact that EVERY Town fan regrets him coming here outweighs his regret. And the considerable sum he trousered in the process should be ample compensation for his regret. To$$er.

bluescouser

Keane and his biggest regret on 14:54 - Aug 10 with 2583 viewsITFC_RDM

I hated him as our manager, and for a good while after. Think he's brilliant and funny as a pundit though.

Hardman act can become a bit tiresome though.
Keane and his biggest regret on 15:05 - Aug 10 with 2529 viewsSteve_M

Keane set us back years. At a time when few clubs had a lot of money to spend in the Championship we should have had a competitive advantage, instead we were barely mid-table. We've not got back to the same relative position we were in in August 2009 yet.

Hurst also set us back years, doing irrepairable damage to the squad in one transfer window. The incompetence and failure of Jewell and Lambert was awful, but those two never caused the same catastrophic damage as Keane and Hurst.

To think one man employed all of the above, it really isn't a wonder we are in our third season in the third division now - and that despite 5.5 years of McCarthy doing a generally good job.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Keane and his biggest regret on 15:15 - Aug 10 with 2488 viewshomer_123

Keane and his biggest regret on 15:05 - Aug 10 by Steve_M

Keane set us back years. At a time when few clubs had a lot of money to spend in the Championship we should have had a competitive advantage, instead we were barely mid-table. We've not got back to the same relative position we were in in August 2009 yet.

Hurst also set us back years, doing irrepairable damage to the squad in one transfer window. The incompetence and failure of Jewell and Lambert was awful, but those two never caused the same catastrophic damage as Keane and Hurst.

To think one man employed all of the above, it really isn't a wonder we are in our third season in the third division now - and that despite 5.5 years of McCarthy doing a generally good job.

Evans was an unmitigated disaster, although due to Sheepshanks incompetence (and I do not like what appears to be 'revisionism' going on with him) it was literally out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Keane and his biggest regret on 15:17 - Aug 10 with 2471 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I think the reason it's Keane's 'biggest regret' is the fact that it destroyed his managerial career.
If it were me, the bigger regret would have been having to work with Clegg's negotiating prowess.

How much for Lee Martin again?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Keane and his biggest regret on 15:35 - Aug 10 with 2401 viewsMattinLondon

Keane and his biggest regret on 15:15 - Aug 10 by homer_123

Evans was an unmitigated disaster, although due to Sheepshanks incompetence (and I do not like what appears to be 'revisionism' going on with him) it was literally out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Sheepshanks was not incompetent and to suggest he was is silly.
Keane and his biggest regret on 15:38 - Aug 10 with 2381 viewscbower

Keane and his biggest regret on 15:17 - Aug 10 by Cheltenham_Blue

I think the reason it's Keane's 'biggest regret' is the fact that it destroyed his managerial career.
If it were me, the bigger regret would have been having to work with Clegg's negotiating prowess.

How much for Lee Martin again?

Too easy to pass the buck on to Clegg. Keane knew Martin well from Manure. He identified him. Irrespective of the price, Martin was poor. Priskin was gutless. Keane a useless manager. Steve M is spot on above. He really set us back massively.

bluescouser

Keane and his biggest regret on 15:43 - Aug 10 with 2336 viewsPendejo

Please explain how he was incompetent.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Keane and his biggest regret on 15:49 - Aug 10 with 2306 viewsMJallday

When he joined it was a proper wtf the moment for me. I honestly thought we’d be the new Man Utd, with that style of play, the work discipline and the desire for perfection

How wrong I was.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Login to get fewer ads

Keane and his biggest regret on 15:57 - Aug 10 with 2274 viewsChurchman

Keane and his biggest regret on 15:49 - Aug 10 by MJallday

When he joined it was a proper wtf the moment for me. I honestly thought we’d be the new Man Utd, with that style of play, the work discipline and the desire for perfection

How wrong I was.

I closed my eyes and hoped at the time, but my head told me he’d failed dismally at Sunderland after the promotion and was fired. My head told me that he was completely the wrong fit for Ipswich Town in every way. I didn’t like the bloke as a player and thought him a bully.

I don’t even like him as a pundit.
Keane and his biggest regret on 16:01 - Aug 10 with 2245 viewsZx1988

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Nobody at the time predicted the collapse of ITV Digital, and Ipswich were far from the only club to find themselves shafted by the resultant reduction in revenue.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Keane and his biggest regret on 16:01 - Aug 10 with 2238 viewsusm

He was a terrific player, yes a bit of a bully but in that era he was superb, a real winner.
As a manager he was pretty awful, but did get Sunderland from bottom to promotion so did something right. Was a wrong fit for us, but at the time, I thought he was just what we needed.
Great as a pundit - makes me laugh and usually hits the nail right on the head.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Keane and his biggest regret on 16:05 - Aug 10 with 2228 viewsDowson

Pretty sure the waste of money was down to Clegg, think he mentions in his book he was astonished to find out we paid the amount we did for priskin
Keane and his biggest regret on 16:16 - Aug 10 with 2162 viewsBlue_Armee

Keane and his biggest regret on 16:05 - Aug 10 by Dowson

Pretty sure the waste of money was down to Clegg, think he mentions in his book he was astonished to find out we paid the amount we did for priskin

Well after ending another player’s career with a horrendous tackle and walking out on your country at a World Cup, if coming to Ipswich was your biggest regret there’s something wrong with you Mr Keane

Poll: Mexit or McStay? Not what you want but what you think will actually happen

Keane and his biggest regret on 16:19 - Aug 10 with 2139 viewscbower

So far half the price Martin and Priskin would have been deemed a success then?

bluescouser

Keane and his biggest regret on 16:19 - Aug 10 with 2141 viewswrightsrightglove

The fact that taking on, and lashing up, a job is his biggest regret rather than deliberately ending another player’s career says a lot about the guy.
Keane and his biggest regret on 16:27 - Aug 10 with 2105 viewsSivell

Keane and his biggest regret on 16:16 - Aug 10 by Blue_Armee

Well after ending another player’s career with a horrendous tackle and walking out on your country at a World Cup, if coming to Ipswich was your biggest regret there’s something wrong with you Mr Keane

The man is an arrogant bully.

It’s bad enough rendering a fellow human unable to walk properly for the rest of his life, without boasting afterwards that you set out deliberately to harm him.

I have also spoken to figures at the club at the time, who have confirmed what we all know, that he is a thoroughly unpleasant character.

Compare this with the adoration that Sir Bob received (deservedly) from his staff and players...
Keane and his biggest regret on 16:33 - Aug 10 with 2081 viewsHerbivore

Keane and his biggest regret on 16:19 - Aug 10 by wrightsrightglove

The fact that taking on, and lashing up, a job is his biggest regret rather than deliberately ending another player’s career says a lot about the guy.

Much as I dislike Keane, and I dislike him a lot, it's not accurate to say that he ended Haaland's career. Haaland retired because of problems with his left knee which he had before the Keane challenge (which made contact with Haaland's right leg). He actually played two games, one for Norway and one for City, immediately after the United game where Keane assaulted him.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Keane and his biggest regret on 16:33 - Aug 10 with 2073 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Keane and his biggest regret on 16:19 - Aug 10 by cbower

So far half the price Martin and Priskin would have been deemed a success then?

Priskin at 850k back then would have been good business. He was no slouch as a player and was coming off the back of a good Championship season with Watford, I think scoring 15/16 goals.

He was known as a quality championship player. Lets not forget that Watford turned down bids of £1.2m and then £1.5m.

Keane, Jewell, McCarthy, Hurst or Lambert did none of the negotiating of fees or salary under Evans, that was Clegg initially and then Evans himself subsequently.

All of those managers gave Evans a 'list', thats been well documented.

A half price Martin, would have been over priced still, but he would have been, and was, a decent squad or development player, which was probably Roys intention with him initially.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Keane and his biggest regret (n/t) on 17:08 - Aug 10 with 1952 viewscbower

A poor player is a poor playe irrespective of the price. Maybe Priskin had come off the back of decent form but he was gutless. There is a reason Martin played only once or twice for United. He was poor and headless.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 17:14]

bluescouser

Keane and his biggest regret on 17:20 - Aug 10 with 1901 viewsDarth_Koont

I never really minded him. He didn’t identify bad players nor spend ridiculous amounts really – but along with everyone else at the club and a great many outside it at other clubs he underestimated just how tough it was to build a top 6, let alone a promotion-winning team.

We’ve seen the same result with Royle and Jim before and with Mick after. And let’s not forget how disastrous Jewell was, spending as much money to take us quite a bit backwards and leave us with an expensive, old and misfiring squad that would have been worthy of relegation.

It didn’t work out for either of us. But I’d like to think we’re older and wiser after that experience and the overall post-Prem relegation decades.

Even now that we’re recruiting good players and spending money in League One, Cook really needs to forge a team and a collective spirit/approach. Hopefully, that missing character is what he most identified in the need for an overhaul and in his choice of players.

Pronouns: He/Him

Keane and his biggest regret on 17:45 - Aug 10 with 1824 viewsBlueBadger

Keane and his biggest regret on 16:33 - Aug 10 by Cheltenham_Blue

Priskin at 850k back then would have been good business. He was no slouch as a player and was coming off the back of a good Championship season with Watford, I think scoring 15/16 goals.

He was known as a quality championship player. Lets not forget that Watford turned down bids of £1.2m and then £1.5m.

Keane, Jewell, McCarthy, Hurst or Lambert did none of the negotiating of fees or salary under Evans, that was Clegg initially and then Evans himself subsequently.

All of those managers gave Evans a 'list', thats been well documented.

A half price Martin, would have been over priced still, but he would have been, and was, a decent squad or development player, which was probably Roys intention with him initially.

Priskin had all of one good season at Championship level. He was basically an expensive Kevin Lisbie.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Keane and his biggest regret on 17:51 - Aug 10 with 1786 viewsRadlett_blue

Keane and his biggest regret on 16:01 - Aug 10 by usm

He was a terrific player, yes a bit of a bully but in that era he was superb, a real winner.
As a manager he was pretty awful, but did get Sunderland from bottom to promotion so did something right. Was a wrong fit for us, but at the time, I thought he was just what we needed.
Great as a pundit - makes me laugh and usually hits the nail right on the head.

Indeed. Some of us had reservations about Keane's personality, but we hoped he could get us up, as he had at Sunderland & then all would have been forgiven. However, he was a hopeless manager, dismantling a team which had been good enough to finish just outside the play offs & that after - correctly - after saying that all Town needed as 3-4 players.
It's disappointing that Keane doesn't seem to have any humility or remorse about his time at Town, but maybe his ego or pride won't allow it. Perhaps he's worked out he isn't suited to management as he has only been as assistant since.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Keane and his biggest regret on 18:03 - Aug 10 with 1744 viewsDarth_Koont

Keane and his biggest regret on 17:45 - Aug 10 by BlueBadger

Priskin had all of one good season at Championship level. He was basically an expensive Kevin Lisbie.

Priskin was 21. Hardly going to have much more than a good season under his belt.

A lot of people are quick to forget that he was the hottest property in the Championship when we signed him and the Watford fans were very upset to lose him.

Keane and his biggest regret on 18:16 - Aug 10 with 1699 viewsRadlett_blue

Keane and his biggest regret on 18:03 - Aug 10 by Darth_Koont

Priskin was 21. Hardly going to have much more than a good season under his belt.

A lot of people are quick to forget that he was the hottest property in the Championship when we signed him and the Watford fans were very upset to lose him.

Priskin was almost 23 when he joined us, so he still appeared a player with potential. He had come good in his last season at Watford, when they realised he needed the ball on the ground, so he could use his skill & pace. My heart sank when we signed him as he was very unlikely to fit into the style of football we were playing under Keane. So, 51 league games at Town chasing long balls & unsurprisingly, only 5 league goals.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Keane and his biggest regret on 19:05 - Aug 10 with 1636 viewsDarth_Koont

Keane and his biggest regret on 18:16 - Aug 10 by Radlett_blue

Priskin was almost 23 when he joined us, so he still appeared a player with potential. He had come good in his last season at Watford, when they realised he needed the ball on the ground, so he could use his skill & pace. My heart sank when we signed him as he was very unlikely to fit into the style of football we were playing under Keane. So, 51 league games at Town chasing long balls & unsurprisingly, only 5 league goals.

You’re right he was 22 and I can’t count.

Agree that he needed the ball to feet. Not quite sure why that wasn’t apparent to Keane and the team but arguably we were still in the mode of chucking it up to Walters which made both Priskin and Counago passengers.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024