Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? 10:59 - Aug 11 with 6571 viewsBluefish

Traditionally it went something like

Sir Bob
Sir Alf
Burley
Lyall
McCarthy
Royle
Duncan
Jewell
Hurst
keane
Lambert

A few skipped out that you can add as you see fit

The modern fans seems more interested by pressers, fake green shoots and PR stunts than performances and results. On that basis should we revise the list?
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 11:00]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 19:24 - Aug 11 with 1360 viewsBlueBadger

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 14:46 - Aug 11 by DanTheMan

Yup.

And yet for me, Keane and Hurst still managed to do more damage. Hurst did so in such a rapid fashion that it's almost impressive.

Had Lambert stayed on, he'd have comfortably marooned us in League 2.

Or worse.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 19:43 - Aug 11 with 1337 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 19:23 - Aug 11 by Kropotkin123

I've always been impressed by the level of your football knowledge and, in particular, ability to judge managers

Haha - and owners!

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 20:11 - Aug 11 with 1311 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 19:24 - Aug 11 by BlueBadger

Had Lambert stayed on, he'd have comfortably marooned us in League 2.

Or worse.

Had the players whom Cook kicked out of the club stayed on they'd have comfortably marooned us in League 2.

Lambert obviously would have 'helped it out'.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 20:14]
Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 20:19 - Aug 11 with 1303 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 18:24 - Aug 11 by Bluefish

Above BFJ and below Mick

Magilton above BFJ ????

Hhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahha you're mental !

I hope you'll never get banned from this board as your unawareness of all things ITFC and being utterly clueless is so funny and makes me laugh. You're truly entertaining.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 20:20]
Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 20:30 - Aug 11 with 1286 viewstextbackup

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 18:24 - Aug 11 by textbackup

I love how drunk you get at random times of the day and your thumb and phone meet and you end up here

I love that too

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 20:39 - Aug 11 with 1281 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:10 - Aug 11 by Bluefish

Relegation with the most expensive wage bill in our history and 2 failed attempts to take us back up with the divisions biggest budget. He did more harm than all of them

However many times you say the most expensive in our history it still doesn’t make it true. £19.2M is definitely lower than £24M.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 20:48 - Aug 11 with 1270 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 20:30 - Aug 11 by textbackup

I love that too

Have you just agreed with yourself?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 21:28 - Aug 11 with 1250 viewsBluefish

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 20:39 - Aug 11 by WestStanderLaLaLa

However many times you say the most expensive in our history it still doesn’t make it true. £19.2M is definitely lower than £24M.

Weekly wage is different to annual wage. Shouldn't be too hard for you to grasp.

Login to get fewer ads

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 22:22 - Aug 11 with 1227 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 21:28 - Aug 11 by Bluefish

Weekly wage is different to annual wage. Shouldn't be too hard for you to grasp.

Help me, show your workings out.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 22:27 - Aug 11 with 1218 viewsBluefish

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 22:22 - Aug 11 by WestStanderLaLaLa

Help me, show your workings out.

Loads of places on loads on money > than less players on less money

You are welcome

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 22:40 - Aug 11 with 1207 viewsmonkeymagic

Based on success, style, transfer acumen & state of club at arrival vs end of reign : (no caretakers)

Worst to best…..

Lambert
Hurst
Keane
Jewell
McGiven
Ferguson
Duncan
Magilton
McCarthy
Royle
Lyall
Burley
Robson
Ramsay
Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 23:02 - Aug 11 with 1178 viewsjaykay

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 22:40 - Aug 11 by monkeymagic

Based on success, style, transfer acumen & state of club at arrival vs end of reign : (no caretakers)

Worst to best…..

Lambert
Hurst
Keane
Jewell
McGiven
Ferguson
Duncan
Magilton
McCarthy
Royle
Lyall
Burley
Robson
Ramsay

another poster who can't remember a manager who took us into what is now the premier league.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 23:08 - Aug 11 with 1171 viewsBluefish

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 23:02 - Aug 11 by jaykay

another poster who can't remember a manager who took us into what is now the premier league.

Lyall and Burley are both on there

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 23:11 - Aug 11 with 1165 viewsjaykay

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 23:08 - Aug 11 by Bluefish

what is now is the clue. as in it was called another name.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 23:13 - Aug 11 with 1163 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 23:08 - Aug 11 by Bluefish

As, indeed, is Ramsay but not McGarry

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 05:13 - Aug 12 with 1091 viewsKropotkin123

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 23:13 - Aug 11 by You_Bloo_Right

As, indeed, is Ramsay but not McGarry

Where would you guys put McGarry in relation to Burley and Lyall? Having not seen any of the games, it would be hard for me to compare on achievements.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 07:39 - Aug 12 with 1065 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 05:13 - Aug 12 by Kropotkin123

Where would you guys put McGarry in relation to Burley and Lyall? Having not seen any of the games, it would be hard for me to compare on achievements.

The first match I attended Town were under McGarry's stewardship, in the promotion season at that, but I was at a tender age. It wasn't until the Robson era that I started to attend with any regularity.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 10:26 - Aug 12 with 1034 viewsjaykay

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 05:13 - Aug 12 by Kropotkin123

i could be wrong as the memory isn't what it was once, but he resigned ray crawford who made us into a first div. club again. also not sure but i think he signed mick mills and charlie woods who proved great servants to the club in many ways.

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:06 - Aug 12 with 1022 viewsWeWereZombies

Bobby Robson
Alf Ramsey
George Burley
Scott Duncan
Joe Royle
Bill McGarry
John Lyall
Jim Magilton
Mick McCarthy
Paul Jewell
Bobby Ferguson
Jackie Milburn
Tony Mowbray
Matt Gill
John Duncan
Paul Cook
Mick McGiven
Paul Lambert
Roy Keane
Paul Hurst

Think I've forgotten one or two who were in charge for the odd game between permanent managers, Jackie Milburn is higher up than some might place him because I understand that he did significant groundwork for the youth set up. Paul Cook's current low place is based on results (because they matter) and I hope he goes racing up this list if they improve.

Some have mentioned inheriting great squads and ruining them, which is why I take Glassers point about what Roy Keane passed on to Paul Jewell but also count it against Keane due to the very good players who flourished elsewhere after he had made their time at Town difficult (perhaps a lesson for Cook also.) Then there were the those who inherited shot squads and turned them around (McCarthy but the football was so often turgid) or almost turned them around (Lambert, still lowly placed though because a close miss is no different to hitting the corner flag when it comes to the score.)

[edit] Yes, looking at Wikipedia I have omitted Mick O'Brien (when we were non league), Jimmy Forsyth, Cyril Lea (unforgivable of me), Paul Goddard, Ian McParland, Chris Hutchings, Bryan Klug (also unforgivable) and included Mick McGivern who is not on the Wikipedia list - sure that the first game I took my son to when we were at home to a Swindon side that included Jan Åge Fjørtoft had McGivern in charge, pitch invasion and calls for his head after the match because we didn't win, those were the days...
[Post edited 12 Aug 2021 11:17]

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:17 - Aug 12 with 1008 viewsChurchman

Controversially, I would put Ramsey above Robson. He took the club through the divisions to win the biggest domestic prize of all at the first attempt. An astonishing achievement. The definitive list based on circumstances when they arrived, what they had to work with, achievement, legacy is:

Sublime:-
1. Sir Alf
2. Sir Bobby

Did well:-
3. Burley
4. Lyall
5. McGarry

Decent:
6. Royle
7. Scott Duncan
8. McCarthy
9. Magilton

Poor:-
10. John Duncan
11. Milburn

The dregs:-
12. Jewell
13. Keane
14. Lambert
15. Hurst

Mick O’Brien and temporaries are not included. If Cook was to go tomorrow, he’d be beneath John Duncan in my list, hopefully up to good by seasons end, if he’s still here, which I doubt.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2021 16:59]
Interestingly, our 3rd best manager..... on 11:18 - Aug 12 with 1007 viewsBloots

....based on win percentage is "Nobody".

Nobody was in charge for 3 months in 1937 and managed a win percentage of 63.60% over 11 matches.

Legend.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:27 - Aug 12 with 988 viewsRamRob

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:06 - Aug 12 by WeWereZombies

Bobby Robson
Alf Ramsey
George Burley
Scott Duncan
Joe Royle
Bill McGarry
John Lyall
Jim Magilton
Mick McCarthy
Paul Jewell
Bobby Ferguson
Jackie Milburn
Tony Mowbray
Matt Gill
John Duncan
Paul Cook
Mick McGiven
Paul Lambert
Roy Keane
Paul Hurst

Think I've forgotten one or two who were in charge for the odd game between permanent managers, Jackie Milburn is higher up than some might place him because I understand that he did significant groundwork for the youth set up. Paul Cook's current low place is based on results (because they matter) and I hope he goes racing up this list if they improve.

Some have mentioned inheriting great squads and ruining them, which is why I take Glassers point about what Roy Keane passed on to Paul Jewell but also count it against Keane due to the very good players who flourished elsewhere after he had made their time at Town difficult (perhaps a lesson for Cook also.) Then there were the those who inherited shot squads and turned them around (McCarthy but the football was so often turgid) or almost turned them around (Lambert, still lowly placed though because a close miss is no different to hitting the corner flag when it comes to the score.)

[edit] Yes, looking at Wikipedia I have omitted Mick O'Brien (when we were non league), Jimmy Forsyth, Cyril Lea (unforgivable of me), Paul Goddard, Ian McParland, Chris Hutchings, Bryan Klug (also unforgivable) and included Mick McGivern who is not on the Wikipedia list - sure that the first game I took my son to when we were at home to a Swindon side that included Jan Åge Fjørtoft had McGivern in charge, pitch invasion and calls for his head after the match because we didn't win, those were the days...
[Post edited 12 Aug 2021 11:17]

Disgraceful there's no mention of Ian McParland. And albeit less disgraceful the worst ever manager Chris Hutchings.

Obviously I couldn't be bothered to read the whole post...
[Post edited 12 Aug 2021 11:30]

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:31 - Aug 12 with 975 viewsDyland

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 15:07 - Aug 11 by Kropotkin123

Sir Alf
Sir Bob
Burley
Lyall
Royle
McCarthy
Cook
Jewell
keane
Lambert
Hurst

It's all personal obviously. I've removed Duncan, as I have no clue about how we played and I can't judge the achievements.

Winning the third tier, building, then winning the second tier and first tier back to back. It's an incredible achievement that will be implausible to repeat. That's why I'd put him above Sir Bob.

Royle was consistently fighting for promotion. Hard to judge on achievements verses MM, due to players at their disposal. But Royle played really exciting football and in the end gave me way more positive memories.

Hurst butchered a team and replaced them with noone of value. Lambert merely continued the rot.

Cook has bought in some quality players, I can only judge by one game this season, but we looked great going forward and I think even if he fails, a manager coming in would love this squad at this level. So he has set us up for success.

Generally agree with this. Sir Alf and Sir Bob are tied number one, but it's personal and I wasn't around for Alf so Bobby nudges it if I have to choose.

Too early for Cook to be on the list imo.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Interestingly, our 3rd best manager..... on 11:36 - Aug 12 with 961 viewsWeWereZombies

Interestingly, our 3rd best manager..... on 11:18 - Aug 12 by Bloots

....based on win percentage is "Nobody".

Nobody was in charge for 3 months in 1937 and managed a win percentage of 63.60% over 11 matches.

Legend.

Assistant was JohnnyNoMates (anyone remember that poster?), he couldn't get nobody into the dugout for those games...

[edit] Sorry, BillyNoMates - or after Reuser was signed I think the poster became BjillyNoMates.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 8:38]

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:41 - Aug 12 with 951 viewsBeckets

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:17 - Aug 12 by Churchman

Controversially, I would put Ramsey above Robson. He took the club through the divisions to win the biggest domestic prize of all at the first attempt. An astonishing achievement. The definitive list based on circumstances when they arrived, what they had to work with, achievement, legacy is:

Sublime:-
1. Sir Alf
2. Sir Bobby

Did well:-
3. Burley
4. Lyall
5. McGarry

Decent:
6. Royle
7. Scott Duncan
8. McCarthy
9. Magilton

Poor:-
10. John Duncan
11. Milburn

The dregs:-
12. Jewell
13. Keane
14. Lambert
15. Hurst

Mick O’Brien and temporaries are not included. If Cook was to go tomorrow, he’d be beneath John Duncan in my list, hopefully up to good by seasons end, if he’s still here, which I doubt.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2021 16:59]

Wouldn’t argue with that. Add in Decent - Magilton.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024