Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? 10:59 - Aug 11 with 6654 viewsBluefish

Traditionally it went something like

Sir Bob
Sir Alf
Burley
Lyall
McCarthy
Royle
Duncan
Jewell
Hurst
keane
Lambert

A few skipped out that you can add as you see fit

The modern fans seems more interested by pressers, fake green shoots and PR stunts than performances and results. On that basis should we revise the list?
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 11:00]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Yeah but Mick managed to turn..... on 15:22 - Aug 11 with 1398 viewsBloots

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 15:19 - Aug 11 by imalwayswrong

no Mowbray? BFJ was a much better manager than Mick - BFJ could make water into wine

....dog piss into water.

It's all relative.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 15:45 - Aug 11 with 1368 viewsSebastian

Wow. You guys really must despise Lambert. Ok, he was totally out of it, really bad for the club.
But, Hurst?! That man, here for such a a short time, destroyed the whole squad in a few months, monumental disaster which were felt for years after that. Must be some kind of record.

"Oh I'm sorry buttercup, did that nasty Mr Cook point out you aren't very good? Run yourself a warm bath, I'll get the Haagen-Daaz and read you a story later." - Bobbychase

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 15:56 - Aug 11 with 1345 viewsWallingford_Boy

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 14:55 - Aug 11 by JammyDodgerrr

Hurst should be bottom. The amount of damage he did in such a short space of time has left us where we are, imo. Think people forgetting just how bad it was.

John Duncan must be bottom surely?!

The glee I felt when he was FINALLY sacked!!

I was pleased when Lambert went, but Duncan was another level.

RIP Sir Bobby

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 16:04 - Aug 11 with 1330 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 15:56 - Aug 11 by Wallingford_Boy

John Duncan must be bottom surely?!

The glee I felt when he was FINALLY sacked!!

I was pleased when Lambert went, but Duncan was another level.

I am too young to know anything about his reign, apologies!

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 16:12 - Aug 11 with 1322 viewshype313

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 16:04 - Aug 11 by JammyDodgerrr

I am too young to know anything about his reign, apologies!

It was turgid, awful, insipid and one we all tried to forget, but Hurst, Keane and Lambert quickly took the rein off him.

In fact in comparison these days, he actually looks quite competent!

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Yeah but Mick managed to turn..... on 16:17 - Aug 11 with 1317 viewsimalwayswrong

Yeah but Mick managed to turn..... on 15:22 - Aug 11 by Bloots

....dog piss into water.

It's all relative.

I remember watching Kuqi play for Sheff Weds at portman road and he looked truly awful, BFJ gets hold of him and makes him a league beater! Credit where credit is due.......
Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 16:21 - Aug 11 with 1303 viewsMeadowlark

No
Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 16:36 - Aug 11 with 1273 viewsnodge_blue

Royle above McCarthy. Less money to play with and better football.

Duncan too high. From him downwards you might as well have them all joint last.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Login to get fewer ads

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 16:54 - Aug 11 with 1240 viewssolemio

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 16:36 - Aug 11 by nodge_blue

Royle above McCarthy. Less money to play with and better football.

Duncan too high. From him downwards you might as well have them all joint last.

Somebody called imalwayswrong says that you are right.
Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 16:59 - Aug 11 with 1233 viewsKeaneish

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 15:07 - Aug 11 by Kropotkin123

Sir Alf
Sir Bob
Burley
Lyall
Royle
McCarthy
Cook
Jewell
keane
Lambert
Hurst

It's all personal obviously. I've removed Duncan, as I have no clue about how we played and I can't judge the achievements.

Winning the third tier, building, then winning the second tier and first tier back to back. It's an incredible achievement that will be implausible to repeat. That's why I'd put him above Sir Bob.

Royle was consistently fighting for promotion. Hard to judge on achievements verses MM, due to players at their disposal. But Royle played really exciting football and in the end gave me way more positive memories.

Hurst butchered a team and replaced them with noone of value. Lambert merely continued the rot.

Cook has bought in some quality players, I can only judge by one game this season, but we looked great going forward and I think even if he fails, a manager coming in would love this squad at this level. So he has set us up for success.

It's a no brainer that BFJ is above MM. Not just for his two play-offs versus Mick's one in a shorter period of time but also as the club was in administration and he was replacing a club icon in Burley.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 16:59 - Aug 11 with 1234 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 15:07 - Aug 11 by Kropotkin123

Sir Alf
Sir Bob
Burley
Lyall
Royle
McCarthy
Cook
Jewell
keane
Lambert
Hurst

It's all personal obviously. I've removed Duncan, as I have no clue about how we played and I can't judge the achievements.

Winning the third tier, building, then winning the second tier and first tier back to back. It's an incredible achievement that will be implausible to repeat. That's why I'd put him above Sir Bob.

Royle was consistently fighting for promotion. Hard to judge on achievements verses MM, due to players at their disposal. But Royle played really exciting football and in the end gave me way more positive memories.

Hurst butchered a team and replaced them with noone of value. Lambert merely continued the rot.

Cook has bought in some quality players, I can only judge by one game this season, but we looked great going forward and I think even if he fails, a manager coming in would love this squad at this level. So he has set us up for success.

This would be my order too fwiw

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 17:04 - Aug 11 with 1218 viewsHighgateBlue

I don't fully accept that "traditional" view. Hurst had a win percentage of 6.7%. Keane, Jewell and Lambert are all in the 30s. I cannot see any argument for him not being bottom.

I shan't mention Cook's current score, as this isn't really the place (or indeed the time - he needs more of it).
Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 17:21 - Aug 11 with 1196 viewsDubtractor

I have no idea why you get yourself so worked up by the views of a few Internet fackwits.

Equally, I have no idea why those same people get so worked up by what you have to say.

All very odd tbh.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 17:41 - Aug 11 with 1183 viewsBluefish

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 17:21 - Aug 11 by Dubtractor

I have no idea why you get yourself so worked up by the views of a few Internet fackwits.

Equally, I have no idea why those same people get so worked up by what you have to say.

All very odd tbh.

Alright mate calm down

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 17:42 - Aug 11 with 1179 viewsBluefish

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 16:59 - Aug 11 by Keaneish

It's a no brainer that BFJ is above MM. Not just for his two play-offs versus Mick's one in a shorter period of time but also as the club was in administration and he was replacing a club icon in Burley.

Don't forget your big lie about having me on ignore

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 17:43 - Aug 11 with 1172 viewsDubtractor

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 17:41 - Aug 11 by Bluefish

Alright mate calm down

No, you calm down.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 18:04 - Aug 11 with 1135 viewsBluefish

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 17:43 - Aug 11 by Dubtractor

No, you calm down.

I an fackng calm don't you facking dare say I'm not. Got it!

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 18:11 - Aug 11 with 1125 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 18:17 - Aug 11 with 1118 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Where is Magilton?

Gus Uhlenbeek

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 18:18 - Aug 11 with 1116 viewsyesjohn99

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:12 - Aug 11 by ElephantintheRoom

I'd put Sir Alf comfortably above Robson - he did after all drag the club from the third division to the European Cup.

I'd also put Bill McGarry in at third place - he turned the rabble he inherited from Milburn into a capable top division team and won the second division in some style - Burley never won anything and is still the only manager to achieve two relegations, with a a third very much on the cards before he was sacked.

On the same basis I'd put John Lyall above Burley - he did much as McGarry did with what he inherited from John Duncan

My dad was going on about Bill McGarry the other day (he is approaching 70). Was brought on by the new artwork on Portman Road.

Obviously before my time but it miffs him how he is never spoke about.
Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 18:24 - Aug 11 with 1112 viewsBluefish

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 18:17 - Aug 11 by ShropshireBluenago09

Where is Magilton?

Above BFJ and below Mick

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 18:24 - Aug 11 with 1117 viewstextbackup

I love how drunk you get at random times of the day and your thumb and phone meet and you end up here

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 18:25 - Aug 11 with 1108 viewsBluefish

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 18:24 - Aug 11 by textbackup

I love how drunk you get at random times of the day and your thumb and phone meet and you end up here

I do it all for you, in fact everything I do I do it for you x

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 18:29 - Aug 11 with 1102 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 11:06 - Aug 11 by DanTheMan

I'd move Lambert above Keane and Hurst. He was useless but didn't for me do any long lasting damage unlike the other two.

I don’t think Keane did any long lasting damage. Sure he was a woeful manager. Both tactically and personally. But the players he brought in were decent enough.

Jewell added Bullard to Keane’s starting eleven and had them playing a tune for the final half of the season.

Mick would have loved to had picked up the Keane squad rather than the oldies he picked up from Jewell.

Imagine what Mick could have done with the likes of Fullop, Edwards, Delaney, McAuley, Leadbitter, Norris, Wickham, Scotland, Priskin etc.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 18:36]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 19:23 - Aug 11 with 1060 viewsKropotkin123

Is it time to rewrite the order of our best managers? on 16:59 - Aug 11 by The_Romford_Blue

This would be my order too fwiw

I've always been impressed by the level of your football knowledge and, in particular, ability to judge managers

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024