Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everything is awesome 21:52 - Aug 15 with 17105 viewsMullet

Having seen both league games thus far, it's pretty clear that Cook's decision to be "Demolition Man" might well render his time here a cult classic, rather than the blockbuster we are budgeting for.

It wasn't necessary to rip apart the whole team, it was a decision and direction decided upon, and the first few steps have seen us in the gutter haven't they? Overloaded with attacking depth but unable to find a front 4 that doesn't limit Piggott to playing second balls to new runners or empty spaces for most of his time on the pitch.

He and Fraser have been devastating at this level for smaller teams, as with most of the individuals you can see the potential there but that doesn't mean we are yet. Lots of possession and a clear intent to strafe wide and overload fullbacks. It's ironic we conceded in that way against Burton. KVY finding himself further forward than he managed prior, the whole side gets caught out and once again it's one shot and we are behind.

Cook has been here months, he couldn't make it work with what he had, he has been given way more than anyone else for a long time. It's all well and good pointing to his past at other clubs, but his past at Ipswich and thus his present, is closer to the bloody woeful we've been accustomed to. Pointing that out is not the TWTD equivalent of going to the Vatican and giving the Pope a kick up the ass.

You can probably be assured Cook and his staff will be unhappy with the points tally and the manner in which we've been so generous to teams with far smaller budgets and even more churn in the case of Morecambe.

More worryingly for them might be Ashton and the higher ups. They clearly didn't appoint Cook, they perhaps didn't see prudence in removing him right away either financially or morally when taking over. This is a marriage of convenience in some respects and this summer seems very much like Cook is backing himself, using the dollars available. That could all change very quickly without promotion on the table.

Pretending promotion is beyond this club is equally laughable, especially given all the chiding about "ambition" in recent years and when we were looking to do it in the league above. It absolutely must and should be the minimum we expect. 3 teams will go up, we should be one of them preferably as champions - otherwise this recall to Cook's CV is fairly moot. Let alone the fact we've got rid of Evans' approach and been told everything we wanted to hear for years.

Harper and Edwards look like they belong on the path to being in the league above already, and will hone that claim with game time. The lovely shapes Harper made when we got the ball down and he broke the play up were even better than the few times Dobra and Fraser did it. The fact we then didn't see players getting off shots and were reduced to hoping that flashes across the goal might be turned in yesterday, speaks to how disjointed we are.

The manner in which we conceded a second against Morecambe, seemed to plague us up top yesterday and with so many personnel changes it's not that surprising. Adding Burgess in will help breed some confidence amongst players and fans alike, it's a late but welcome addition in my opinion.

Woolfenden won a fair amount yesterday, Donacien again showed he's incredibly dependable but will never really excel. Given KVY seems to have lost a yard in his feet and another in his head, whether it's fear of getting hurt or a lack of fitness, the idea of replacing him with JD makes the whole system Cook is trying to employ, severely hampered. Regardless he hasn't managed many games for us yet and assuming he should or will is risky still.

Penney like many others seems to have the right ideas but not the right amount of belief or understanding around him. Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe sh1t seems to be the pattern of play we've settled for so far. But that will improve as time goes on. If it doesn't then we truly are a managerial graveyard and need something else drastically.

Fans haven't been in the grounds for over a year and that seems to play on everyone concerned. When we concede the atmosphere whooshes out and away almost instantly. People either side of the lines are unsure about what to say and do, particularly when things don't go as we'd like. But no amount of thought-policing and insistence on being cheery about failing to beat not one, but two teams, we'd never consider rivals to promotion is as wrong as it is tiring.

Just as it seemed there was a place for Toto and Norwood, there now doesn't unless they cycle in as others replace them on the treatment table and the timescales to get the spine sorted makes it little wonder why we've come out of the season crawling along.

Pointing to when and what side X or manager Y did is fairly irrelevant. There isn't a context which lends itself to ITFC completely changing in a matter of weeks and with it expectations and the ability to meet them.

Hladky has looked a far more rounded keeper, our central midfielders as good as those we just sold to promotion chasers in the league above, there's an abundance of threat up top but so far less return than we needed. But we've failed to keep teams out with barely a fight.

This has the makings of the most exciting season since the playoff campaign (because of where it sets us up to be) and there is enough about us to see us do well, but thinking we can just will that into existence is stupid. The longer we ponder and fail to produce wins with regularity the speed with which this league will leave us behind is the one thing we should have gotten used to in the years we've been down here.

It's a massive stain on this club being relegated to this level. It's still very much all over us for now. There's nothing wrong with facing up to that regularly either is there? They've been pretty open with us how long it will take to sort off the field, but on the field it should definitely be a much shorter timescale.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Everything is awesome on 22:24 - Aug 15 with 6942 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Everything is awesome on 22:28 - Aug 15 with 6891 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Everything is cool when you're part of a team

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Everything is awesome on 22:36 - Aug 15 with 6845 viewsJ2BLUE

A little dramatic for me mate. I know what you're getting at and clearly you have a point but i've seen enough to suggest we could be very good. Depending on whether it's Woolf or Burgess we might have started yesterday without three quarters of our first choice defence.

I'm confident we'll win Tuesday then with a couple of home games to come the mood will look very different.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Everything is awesome on 23:00 - Aug 15 with 6721 viewsCoco

“They clearly didn't appoint Cook”

People STILL peddling this utterly mind blowing naivety?

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Everything is awesome on 23:14 - Aug 15 with 6635 viewstimothyeo

Really good post.
Everything is awesome on 23:29 - Aug 15 with 6567 viewsunstableblue

Sorry Mullet, please don’t take this as criticism, but could you summarise in a sentence what you’re thinking?

One valid concern you raise over Cook’s system and set-up is just how isolated Piggot is, and the seeming disconnect with the 3 attacking midfielders. I’m hoping this improves when Burns returns and Edwards beds in. I’m a bit confused as to who is preferred number 10. But again hope this will gel.

I do agree Dozzell and Downes have gone up a league and are good, but they weren’t working together and the whole team, ethos, and desire was completely shot. Cook needed open heart surgery, rather than minor tweaks last term. There was no desire in the squad whatsoever.

That’s why I’ve given Cook a clean slate, and a series of games to try and make the new squad work.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2021 23:35]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Everything is awesome on 23:52 - Aug 15 with 6468 viewsScottCandage

I can agree with almost all of that (or at least find it fair comment) except one thing - Cook, nor anyone in that same position, should be judged by the players downing tools last season. He tried to kick them in the ass and it failed. So be it. Byegones. Fresh starts and all that.

But yes, there are similar mistakes that were being made as last year, but I really think the new defenders will help with that. And, if it means anything, I've seen much more variance to PC's formations than I would have ever expected after hearing the early reports of one formation and no plan B. I think Cook is exploring formations and combinations to find something. With 15 changes, we MUST give him time to figure it all out, as it keeps changing every three days! :D
[Post edited 15 Aug 2021 23:54]
Everything is awesome on 00:00 - Aug 16 with 6435 viewsJDB23

Whilst I agree with most of your post, I'm not sure the league will leave us behind. Maybe in terms of automatic promotion, but we've even see ourselves how we've previously gone 5/6 games without a win and barely drifted away from the teams above us. There will be plenty of opportunities to put runs together and make a surge but yes, we definitely don't want to give ourselves too much to do and we need to pick up wins where we can during this period, starting Tuesday.
Login to get fewer ads

Everything is awesome on 06:13 - Aug 16 with 6117 viewsfranz_tyson

Ii think it was necessary to rip the whole squad apart.
We’ve got players like Dozzell and Downes who needed a move upwards. Dozzell wouldn’t fit into this team anyway and Downes wanted to go. We’ve got the old guard who’s time was up and we had quite a number who were just not good enough. If they stayed, they would still have to adapt to Cook’s style and it was obvious it was not a good marriage. Best for all parties to part company.

And Gamechanger wouldn’t sanction this if they didn’t support Cook. If it was felt the old squad was good enough, they would have got another manager. Too much at stake and why would they risk investing in a completely new squad if they didn’t trust Cook? They sack Cook in a few months time and they have to bring in a new manager to manage someone else’s squad. Doesn’t seem in line with owners who seem to be clear-headed and have a strategy.

Just separate the end of last season from now. Yes, results were poor, but this is a completely new team. Cook couldn’t get anything out of the old squad, but to say we’re in the gutter after two league games with a new squad is a tad premature.

We’ve done well with the recruitment so far. In fact, it’s been a helluva effort. Pity that the defence wasn’t in place, but we’re nearly there. Just need a bit of time.
Everything is awesome on 06:38 - Aug 16 with 6037 viewsKeaneish

Everything is awesome on 22:36 - Aug 15 by J2BLUE

A little dramatic for me mate. I know what you're getting at and clearly you have a point but i've seen enough to suggest we could be very good. Depending on whether it's Woolf or Burgess we might have started yesterday without three quarters of our first choice defence.

I'm confident we'll win Tuesday then with a couple of home games to come the mood will look very different.

If only TWTD gave out awards for prose, this would surely be up there! I’m in agreement with you. This post picks holes in plenty of positives about the team but frames them as negatives only adding fuel to the more moronic posters.

I find it incredible after what sounds like one poor performance, KVY is being dug out now too. Sure, there are things to improve in that side but it’s night and day from last season. However, I guess when you e nailed your colours to the MM mast for so long and there’s now not a shred of it left, change doesn’t come easy to some.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Everything is awesome on 07:13 - Aug 16 with 5925 viewsLightworker

Some good points in there but it would really have made more sense if we still producing the same in a months time. Ultimately it is still only two league games and there really is no need to panic yet.
Everything is awesome on 07:42 - Aug 16 with 5803 viewsMullet

Everything is awesome on 23:00 - Aug 15 by Coco

“They clearly didn't appoint Cook”

People STILL peddling this utterly mind blowing naivety?

Ashton has turned him down previously. Evans was still debating selling right down to the wire. If you read any of the interviews and pieces that came out, let alone look at the timeline, it’s pretty obvious they decided to keep him in situ and then back him publicly.

It’s not done grand conspiracy just circumstances. And yet you talk of naivety?

Everything is awesome on 07:47 - Aug 16 with 5772 viewsMullet

Everything is awesome on 23:52 - Aug 15 by ScottCandage

I can agree with almost all of that (or at least find it fair comment) except one thing - Cook, nor anyone in that same position, should be judged by the players downing tools last season. He tried to kick them in the ass and it failed. So be it. Byegones. Fresh starts and all that.

But yes, there are similar mistakes that were being made as last year, but I really think the new defenders will help with that. And, if it means anything, I've seen much more variance to PC's formations than I would have ever expected after hearing the early reports of one formation and no plan B. I think Cook is exploring formations and combinations to find something. With 15 changes, we MUST give him time to figure it all out, as it keeps changing every three days! :D
[Post edited 15 Aug 2021 23:54]

He’s a manager. His management didn’t work last season. You’ve recognised it, so have I and plenty of others. But being precious over it is making this board unusable if late. The same zealotry that won’t hear a word opposing their black and white view is stifling debate.

Totally blaming players because it’s convenient is as stupid as blaming or absolving Cook. After all he should have done better regardless of where he’s at now.

Everything is awesome on 07:48 - Aug 16 with 5765 viewsBryanPlug

Everything is awesome on 07:42 - Aug 16 by Mullet

Ashton has turned him down previously. Evans was still debating selling right down to the wire. If you read any of the interviews and pieces that came out, let alone look at the timeline, it’s pretty obvious they decided to keep him in situ and then back him publicly.

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Everything is awesome on 07:51 - Aug 16 with 5744 viewsMullet

Everything is awesome on 07:13 - Aug 16 by Lightworker

Some good points in there but it would really have made more sense if we still producing the same in a months time. Ultimately it is still only two league games and there really is no need to panic yet.

There isn’t, but time travel isn’t available and observations are in bountiful supply it seems. If tomorrow doesn’t improve things, let alone we produce another week like this that will rightfully see people worry we are going to huff our way to another season down here. Then you have to fight against that from fans too which we know drags a team down when games are tough.

Everything is awesome on 07:52 - Aug 16 with 5733 viewsfranz_tyson

They haven’t just backed him publicly - they’ve backed him financially and entrusted him to tear up the existing squad and rebuild from scratch. Whether they inherited him or he was part of their initial plan - they’re backing him big time.
Pretty sure if they didn’t trust him, these owners would be ruthless enough to cut him loose. The results at end of last season would have given them an excuse. They obviously made the decision to back Cook.
Everything is awesome on 07:55 - Aug 16 with 5714 viewsMullet

Everything is awesome on 07:48 - Aug 16 by BryanPlug

But the fact remains they did not appoint him. Even if that list definitely was real, and right after throwing huge sums of money about, experienced football men thought better of undermining Cook when they had so much goodwill and a big enough job on.

That doesn’t mean they are against him, but again this sort of nuance has been driven off the board lately in favour of this sort of stuff.

Everything is awesome on 07:57 - Aug 16 with 5691 viewsgordon

Everything is awesome on 07:48 - Aug 16 by BryanPlug

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/cook-relieved-after-talks-with-new-cha

Think it's reasonable to think that O'Leary would have publicly said something like this whoever the new manager was. My guess is that our new structure doesn't really work with a 'do everything' Cook type manager, and before long he'll be replaced with more of a coach type manager who picks the team, the tactics and leads coaching sessions, but isn't as involved in signings.
Everything is awesome on 07:58 - Aug 16 with 5680 viewsMullet

Everything is awesome on 07:52 - Aug 16 by franz_tyson

They haven’t just backed him publicly - they’ve backed him financially and entrusted him to tear up the existing squad and rebuild from scratch. Whether they inherited him or he was part of their initial plan - they’re backing him big time.
Pretty sure if they didn’t trust him, these owners would be ruthless enough to cut him loose. The results at end of last season would have given them an excuse. They obviously made the decision to back Cook.

I agree except for the last part. Another managerial contract and new back room staff is a bug chunk of playing budget. Likewise there doesn’t need to be an entrenched either/or it’s clearly circumstance that has us where we are now and Cook has enough credit with everyone to ask for that backing and time.

Everything is awesome on 08:02 - Aug 16 with 5621 viewsgordon

Everything is awesome on 07:58 - Aug 16 by Mullet

I agree except for the last part. Another managerial contract and new back room staff is a bug chunk of playing budget. Likewise there doesn’t need to be an entrenched either/or it’s clearly circumstance that has us where we are now and Cook has enough credit with everyone to ask for that backing and time.

I think it is a really important facet to the dynamic that the new people didn't appoint Cook - it means that they will (human nature being human nature) be quicker to disown him if it doesn't seem to be working.

Not saying this is particularly likely in the short-term - I reckon we'll turn things around to the extent that we're about 8th at Christmas, and then wind up sneaking into the play-offs - then if we go up through the play-offs he stays, if we don't, I reckon he'll probably go.
Everything is awesome on 08:06 - Aug 16 with 5575 viewsflibbertigibbet

Everything is awesome on 07:57 - Aug 16 by gordon

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/cook-relieved-after-talks-with-new-cha

Think it's reasonable to think that O'Leary would have publicly said something like this whoever the new manager was. My guess is that our new structure doesn't really work with a 'do everything' Cook type manager, and before long he'll be replaced with more of a coach type manager who picks the team, the tactics and leads coaching sessions, but isn't as involved in signings.

Why are you all so mad with Cook? He’s not going anywhere for a long time. A brand new team loses to a few soft goals and it’s the fault of the manager? The players don’t even know each other’s names yet, it’s a long term project with him at the helm and he has to be given a season to prove himself. If they’d played the same way but won the last 3 games, everyone would be all over him as a saviour. They are playing well, just haven’t got the results yet. If we are still losing every game in 3 months then I think we can start complaining. But right now, we should be supporting them and not screaming for his head every time the result doesn’t go our way. It was never going to be instant success with so much upheaval in the squad.
Everything is awesome on 08:11 - Aug 16 with 5522 viewsgordon

Everything is awesome on 08:06 - Aug 16 by flibbertigibbet

Why are you all so mad with Cook? He’s not going anywhere for a long time. A brand new team loses to a few soft goals and it’s the fault of the manager? The players don’t even know each other’s names yet, it’s a long term project with him at the helm and he has to be given a season to prove himself. If they’d played the same way but won the last 3 games, everyone would be all over him as a saviour. They are playing well, just haven’t got the results yet. If we are still losing every game in 3 months then I think we can start complaining. But right now, we should be supporting them and not screaming for his head every time the result doesn’t go our way. It was never going to be instant success with so much upheaval in the squad.

Pretty sure I haven't screamed for anyone's head, gone mad with Cook, complained about anything, or said anything was the fault of the manager.
Everything is awesome on 08:16 - Aug 16 with 5487 viewsCoco

The rumours months before we even dreamed of a takeover stated the new owners want Cook in as the new boss. What a mad coincidence. The takeover was 99.999999% done when Lambert was sacked! I’m sure Evans thought “how can i best screw this deal up!”

Of course they can’t say they were scheming behind Lamberts back and that it all kinda just worked out how they all wanted. Really is naive to think Gamechanger played no part in it. Lol.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Everything is awesome on 08:21 - Aug 16 with 5441 viewsHerbivore

Everything is awesome on 08:06 - Aug 16 by flibbertigibbet

Nobody has called for his head, nobody is mad with him. I'm not sure why so many fans are overreacting to stuff that's not being said.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Everything is awesome on 08:32 - Aug 16 with 5352 viewsgordon

Everything is awesome on 08:16 - Aug 16 by Coco

The rumours months before we even dreamed of a takeover stated the new owners want Cook in as the new boss. What a mad coincidence. The takeover was 99.999999% done when Lambert was sacked! I’m sure Evans thought “how can i best screw this deal up!”

Of course they can’t say they were scheming behind Lamberts back and that it all kinda just worked out how they all wanted. Really is naive to think Gamechanger played no part in it. Lol.

Think this is the naive take on the situation - of course Cook is a respected, competent manager who has achieved success at this level before, so obviously the new owners most sensible strategy was to publicly back him once the takeover was complete.

They are hardly going to come out and say, "well, there were 3 or 4 managers we were considering and Cook was one of them but actually we were going to try and get Appleton - but to be honest now he's signed a new contract at Lincoln and Cook is in post we've decided to get behind him."
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024