Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How long have we got? 09:07 - Sep 12 with 3849 viewsBluefish

I said the turnaround needed to be within 4 games, we have one left and the bare minimum of 7 points can't be achieved. I think the automatics are done and dusted for us now. The play offs are still a possibility but finishing in the play offs means nothing unless you win them so again it is looking more and more unlikely.

90 points is usually needed for autos and that is now 2.25 points per game. That is the equivalent of a 103.5 point season

Cook has been a disaster from minute 1 and part of the problem is putting another manager on a pedestal and giving them a free hit at the start. He had an embarrassment of riches and the recruitment was haphazard and the background recruitment was a disgrace

I am struggling to be Cook out because I feel we are probably miles off actually doing it but I'm a long way from Cook in

He is on about -7 approval rating on a scale of -10 to +10
[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 9:09]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

How long have we got? on 11:58 - Sep 12 with 1030 viewsPinewoodblue

The first five games really were , on paper, the perfect start allowing time for the team to develop. The next five games, starting with yesterday all looked more difficult than the first five.

Cook really has blown it for me, I just don’t like his approach to the challenge he faces, he has surrounded himself with mates, he doesn’t seem to want an assistant manager. It is almost as if he wants all the glory for himself. This is my team, on and off the field, it is all down to me.

Even Roy Keane was smart enough to realise he needed an assistant manager, sad that .Marcus Evans couldn’t, or wouldn’t, make it happen.

Cook needs someone to take him aside and point out where he is getting it wrong, much as .Paul Hurst did.

Any manager worth his salt would have sent the players out for the second half, fully focused, with clear instructions as to what was needed. You could be forgiven for thinking he didn’t say anything at half time.

It has been pointed out that when the full backs push on we are leaving gaps. No one seems to be taking responsibility for closing those gaps down. Is that due to a lack of experience from the coaching staff it certainly looks like it.

Kieron Dyer must see the issue and I’m sure would have sorted it by now. For me the answer is either three at the back, or one the defensive midfielders falling back.

We can’t go on much longer allowing the opposition freedom to attack at will. If Cook can’t sort it by the end of September he has to go. Cheaper to get rid rather than spend another season in this division.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

How long have we got? on 12:35 - Sep 12 with 997 viewsbrazil1982

How long have we got? on 10:09 - Sep 12 by BiGDonnie

Not enough is made of how fookin sh*te he was last season.

IMO he's already outdone Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert.

Continue to have 5 goals against in the third division from a newly promoted side, he might be worse than them all combined.

I'm at -10.

Continue like this and we're suddenly in another relegation battle.
How long have we got? on 13:01 - Sep 12 with 975 viewsMattinLondon

I was concerned about Cook’s managerial skills last seasons - he failed, and failed badly - but then was able to hide behind the belief that it wasn’t his team and that his team needs time to gel.

Cook doesn’t seem to have that much subtlety and comes across as a ‘bull in a China shop’. I’d say, as it is that he is on borrowed time and probably will get until the end of September to show considerable improvement. At the very very latest, if it stays the same mid-October.

His saving grace being that the owners and Ashton have invested a lot of money and time in his vision.
How long have we got? on 13:17 - Sep 12 with 961 viewspointofblue

How long have we got? on 13:01 - Sep 12 by MattinLondon

I was concerned about Cook’s managerial skills last seasons - he failed, and failed badly - but then was able to hide behind the belief that it wasn’t his team and that his team needs time to gel.

Cook doesn’t seem to have that much subtlety and comes across as a ‘bull in a China shop’. I’d say, as it is that he is on borrowed time and probably will get until the end of September to show considerable improvement. At the very very latest, if it stays the same mid-October.

His saving grace being that the owners and Ashton have invested a lot of money and time in his vision.

Plus, if Howe and Wilder (understandably) turn us down I’m not sure who would be a good enough candidate to replace him.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

How long have we got? on 19:26 - Sep 12 with 848 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Good post.

I actually like Cook quite a bit and want him to succeed but given the start and the nature of our investment, I think he realistically needs to win probably all of the next three games in the league plus the extras.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

How long have we got? on 19:57 - Sep 12 with 815 viewsHARRY10

How long have we got? on 09:43 - Sep 12 by Pippin1970

Don't think money will be the issue. They are loaded. Its the long term investment getting money back if we go higher up the pyramid.

I cannot see money simoly being issue willy nilly either. If taht were the case then the repairs and maintenance hee at the ground would be carried out al;ready, or at least begun.

Banks have huge sums of money, but they do not simply issue it either. There would have been a budget (a fixed amount loan) and the club will have to work with it to ensure there is the targetted return on that loan.

I would expect that Cooks contract is conditional. Certainly with bonuses depending on place finishes, but maybe with a termination of his contract should certain targets not be met, over an agreed time span. Which suggests he will be here longer than a failing league position might suggest.

However if things stay as bad as they are with few points being picked up then I would expect the trapdoor to open - taking him, Ken Dodd, Stan Boardman and Spit the Dog with him.
How long have we got? on 20:07 - Sep 12 with 794 viewsGarv

How long have we got? on 11:00 - Sep 12 by Bluefish

It doesn't but it does suggest he should have been feeling a bit of pressure to get it right quickly.

Do you not think pressure in his job is sort of a given?

Why would fans giving him stick and putting more pressure on him at games help in any way?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

How long have we got? on 20:12 - Sep 12 with 783 viewschrismakin

How long have we got? on 20:07 - Sep 12 by Garv

Why would fans giving him stick and putting more pressure on him at games help in any way?

Just saw that PC'S dad passed away recently, no wonder he wasn't up for some of the questions post game.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Login to get fewer ads

How long have we got? on 20:20 - Sep 12 with 781 viewsGarv

How long have we got? on 20:12 - Sep 12 by chrismakin

Just saw that PC'S dad passed away recently, no wonder he wasn't up for some of the questions post game.

Saw that mentioned on here mid week, wasn't sure if it was true and hadn't seen it reported.

You can never be too sure what's going on in someone's head.

How long have we got? on 20:22 - Sep 12 with 779 viewsBluedicea

The project could take 2 years to get promoted, Gamechanger have said this repeatedly. They will back Cook completely, and currently the only way I can see they would sack him before is if were still in the bottom 3 at the season half way stage or if we end up getting relegated.

Other than those 2 outcomes, I think they are aware of the challenges faced when you do a top to bottom staff overhaul, so have the nous to understand nothing will run smoothly, especially at the start, but as long as they see progress in certain areas they will give him the time to make good on his promises.

What is the use of knowing about everything else, when you do not yet know who you are.

How long have we got? on 20:30 - Sep 12 with 763 viewsBluefish

How long have we got? on 20:07 - Sep 12 by Garv

Our supporters hero worshipping Lambert and Cook means the opposite of pressure. Neither have worked out well

Both of them in 1st seasons had something to fight for, both rolled over in the worst way possible. The first then had repeated failure and the 2nd is on his way to emulating that. Some pressure would have done both some good

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

How long have we got? on 20:32 - Sep 12 with 757 viewsitfcsuth

I don’t think automatic promotion can be written off as it’s so early, but I haven’t seen enough to suggest we will find the formula soon.

I won’t call for a managers head ever as a Town fan, just don’t like it - but obviously far from happy with the start, and yesterday really concerned me.

We looked such a disjointed, uncoordinated mess, who really looked like 11 strangers and individuals.

What worried me is that as week by week go by, we should start to see a team forming, this squad certainly isn’t gelling well, if at all right now.

As always when results are not going well managers carry the can, but for me it is always both players and staff that should equally shoulder the blame
[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 20:34]
How long have we got? on 20:57 - Sep 12 with 734 viewsGarv

How long have we got? on 20:30 - Sep 12 by Bluefish

Our supporters hero worshipping Lambert and Cook means the opposite of pressure. Neither have worked out well

Both of them in 1st seasons had something to fight for, both rolled over in the worst way possible. The first then had repeated failure and the 2nd is on his way to emulating that. Some pressure would have done both some good

I don't think Cook reads TWTD or Twitter, at least I hope not. What sort of hero worshipping are you saying he's witnessed or received?

Some applause before each home game this season clearly designed to get a stadium famously quiet over the last decade to experience some atmosphere? No fans at games last season too, remember.

Maybe Lambert enjoyed his support during 2018-19, but he wasn't stupid, he knew it wasn't a given. Most fans ended up wanting him out for a year or more and put loads of pressure on him, did that help?
[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 20:58]

How long have we got? on 22:21 - Sep 12 with 693 viewsNthsuffolkblue

After 5 matches I said we needed at least 2 wins and at least 2 clean sheets from the following 5. I really can't see us keeping a clean sheet and without them, a win is doubly difficult. I don't think we need to spend 3 or 4 matches letting it play out. There are not the green shoots we would need to be seeing.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

How long have we got? on 23:15 - Sep 12 with 640 viewsBluedicea

How long have we got? on 20:57 - Sep 12 by Garv

I don't think Cook reads TWTD or Twitter, at least I hope not. What sort of hero worshipping are you saying he's witnessed or received?

Some applause before each home game this season clearly designed to get a stadium famously quiet over the last decade to experience some atmosphere? No fans at games last season too, remember.

Maybe Lambert enjoyed his support during 2018-19, but he wasn't stupid, he knew it wasn't a given. Most fans ended up wanting him out for a year or more and put loads of pressure on him, did that help?
[Post edited 12 Sep 2021 20:58]

I'm pretty sure Cook has checked this forum out, maybe not every day or evenrecently, but he's a smart man and fan forums are a resource(albeitv very opinionated). Not saying he relies on it, but first there's the curiosity and also it gives you a feeling for how the club is perceived.
Just as I'm sure opposition managers get somebody to check the fan forums for information, that might not be officially released by the club, like potential injuries or players that might not have been on their radar.

What is the use of knowing about everything else, when you do not yet know who you are.

How long have we got? on 09:25 - Sep 13 with 525 viewsChurchman

How long have we got? on 20:30 - Sep 12 by Bluefish

You use the term ‘hero worship’ in respect of Lambert and Cook. I don’t think anyone hero worshipped either bloke. They just wanted them to succeed and were prepared to give them sufficient time to do it.

I was supportive of Cook. Firing him for failing with another managers dross after a couple of months seemed wrong. To judge him on his team’s failure seems right.

Lambert had more than half a season and a transfer window and produced a limp, gutless team relegated by a mile. I was still ok with letting him develop the team and give it a go until Christmas of that year. Then he should have gone when it was clear he had no idea whatsoever. It is not hero worship; it just seemed sensible to me.
How long have we got? on 13:53 - Sep 13 with 467 viewstimothyeo

How long have we got? on 09:25 - Sep 13 by Churchman

You use the term ‘hero worship’ in respect of Lambert and Cook. I don’t think anyone hero worshipped either bloke. They just wanted them to succeed and were prepared to give them sufficient time to do it.

I was supportive of Cook. Firing him for failing with another managers dross after a couple of months seemed wrong. To judge him on his team’s failure seems right.

Lambert had more than half a season and a transfer window and produced a limp, gutless team relegated by a mile. I was still ok with letting him develop the team and give it a go until Christmas of that year. Then he should have gone when it was clear he had no idea whatsoever. It is not hero worship; it just seemed sensible to me.

I understand what you're saying - I don't think necessarily Cook should have been sacked for last season - I do think a blank refusal from perhaps you and most certainly others to read ANYTHING from that failure of last season is more what BF is probably referring to. It was painful to be criticised on here for pointing out obvious tactical failings that it didn't make sense to attribute purely down to players not caring or whatever, especially when 'lesser' managers had got better performances out of the same players.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024