Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Word of warning 09:48 - Sep 15 with 11705 viewsLord_Lucan

Don't get ill, give birth or be in an ambulance on the way to hospital if you are on the M25 today.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Word of warning on 17:50 - Sep 15 with 1954 viewsLord_Lucan

Word of warning on 17:44 - Sep 15 by MattinLondon

Just did. Am I being whooshed?

No, you just miss the whole point of what was said by our student friend.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Word of warning on 17:56 - Sep 15 with 1937 viewsRyorry

Word of warning on 14:04 - Sep 15 by MattinLondon

So you support them as long as you’re not inconvenienced?

The other day there was a report that stated that a lot of young people are worried about the future as a result of environmental damage. Maybe if previous generations were more concerned about such matters instead of being unhappy about such inconvenience, then maybe such actions wouldn’t be required now.

Actually, no maybe about it.

Excuse me, there's a difference between "inconvenience" and causing death right now, either because emergency ambulances can't get through, or people have been forced to miss their potentially life-saving cancer treatments (where clearly time is of the essence).

Oh, and btw I've been campaigning on these & other environmental issues in a non-disruptive way (against intensive farming, harmful chemicals etc etc etc.) since the 1960s. I don't claim any personal success except as part of wider campaigns which has now resulted in things like standards of insulation in homes, reclycling, reduction of chemicals in farming etc. etc. being *legal requirements* in the UK.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2021 18:05]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Word of warning on 17:59 - Sep 15 with 1928 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Word of warning on 16:34 - Sep 15 by The_Romford_Blue

It is a case of f**k them.

I honestly don’t know a single person I’m friends with that thinks this is an acceptable way to protest. It’s dangerous, it’s stupid and it’s causing a lot of distress to people missing important things. Such as hospital appointments.

...and shopping.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Word of warning on 18:05 - Sep 15 with 1907 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Let's do it right....I am sure Rommers, Alan and all will be there!

Word of warning on 18:05 - Sep 15 with 1901 viewsGlasgowBlue

Word of warning on 15:38 - Sep 15 by MattinLondon

Yeah, of course you’ll run them over, of course you would.

I don't doubt that Lucan would give them a little nudge to move them on.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Word of warning on 18:21 - Sep 15 with 1849 viewsMattinLondon

Word of warning on 18:05 - Sep 15 by GlasgowBlue

I don't doubt that Lucan would give them a little nudge to move them on.

Then complain that his car got scratched.
Word of warning on 19:36 - Sep 15 with 1792 viewswitchdoctor

Word of warning on 15:51 - Sep 15 by MattinLondon

Being completely honest, I don’t think the protest will actually do that much. They’ll get some inches in press and some minutes on telly but it’ll be in a mainly negative light.

Public opinion will obviously be against them but people have known about environmental damage for the last fifty years but not a lot had been done.

Obviously I do have a lot of sympathy for people missing out on appointments etc - demonstrations tend do disrupt as that’s the point of them.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2021 15:52]

so if you or someone close to you missed an important say an appointment for cancer treatment you’d just shrug your shoulders and say hey ho….:that’s how it goes?
Word of warning on 19:54 - Sep 15 with 1748 viewsMattinLondon

Word of warning on 19:36 - Sep 15 by witchdoctor

so if you or someone close to you missed an important say an appointment for cancer treatment you’d just shrug your shoulders and say hey ho….:that’s how it goes?

Of course not- I did say that I have sympathy with people who have missed appointments.

Maybe I didn’t explain it properly. Climate change protesters, in my opinion at least, get a bad press. People are quick to jump on them and bring out tragic and sad examples of people missing appointments etc etc in a far greater extent to when other protesters go on the streets.
Login to get fewer ads

Word of warning on 20:22 - Sep 15 with 1693 viewsBellevueblue

Word of warning on 17:56 - Sep 15 by Ryorry

Excuse me, there's a difference between "inconvenience" and causing death right now, either because emergency ambulances can't get through, or people have been forced to miss their potentially life-saving cancer treatments (where clearly time is of the essence).

Oh, and btw I've been campaigning on these & other environmental issues in a non-disruptive way (against intensive farming, harmful chemicals etc etc etc.) since the 1960s. I don't claim any personal success except as part of wider campaigns which has now resulted in things like standards of insulation in homes, reclycling, reduction of chemicals in farming etc. etc. being *legal requirements* in the UK.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2021 18:05]

Are we as a species so short sighted that holidays, ambulances and cancer treatments are vitally urgent, yet the habitable existence of the earth isn't?

When would climate change come into that first category? When it's too late I'd imagine.

So I think the protesters would argue that yes it's terrible people have missed life saving appointments etc but we're on course to miss a bigger appointment that will save all human life (bit cringy but you get my point)

How do you raise the generation who are becoming nihilistic due to climate change? It won't go away and walking down to parliment square does feck all.
Word of warning on 20:44 - Sep 15 with 1671 viewsLord_Lucan

Word of warning on 20:22 - Sep 15 by Bellevueblue

Are we as a species so short sighted that holidays, ambulances and cancer treatments are vitally urgent, yet the habitable existence of the earth isn't?

When would climate change come into that first category? When it's too late I'd imagine.

So I think the protesters would argue that yes it's terrible people have missed life saving appointments etc but we're on course to miss a bigger appointment that will save all human life (bit cringy but you get my point)

How do you raise the generation who are becoming nihilistic due to climate change? It won't go away and walking down to parliment square does feck all.

I'm thinking of trussing Mother up by her feet, dangling her off the top of the Willis building and dropping her to her death in front of assorted onlookers and the local press. I will be doing this in the name of home insulation.

I will do this to prove I am not short sighted enough to realise that Mother is in her 80's now and her death is in no way comparable to the survival of planet earth - which I am also told is too late to save.

Word of warning on 20:46 - Sep 15 with 1666 viewsRyorry

Word of warning on 20:22 - Sep 15 by Bellevueblue

No, what I was saying was that both are important, that they are not mutually exclusive, and that actions like this, far from improving the situation re climate change, actually damages the campaign of awareness/action to slow it down because many rational and sensible people are alienated by actions which cause death & irreparable damage to others right now.

You also seem to have not read the paragraph in my earlier post which pointed out that the conventional campaigning/actions of the environmental movement since the 1960s has resulted in *legislation in the UK now encompassing recycling, bans on chemicals, reductions in intensive farming, mandatory standards for insulation* etc etc.

Your comment that the "generation who are becoming nihilistic due to climate change? It won't go away and walking down to parliment square does feck all" - 1. Is a massive generalisation, many or even most of that generation are not nihilistic at all, in fact are aware and taking action themselves 2. Those who are actually nihilistic are the very people the campaign needs to convert, but who are actually the ones most likely to throw up their hands in horror & dismiss the campaigners as irresponsible idiots, and thus the whole campaign as idiotic too.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2021 20:58]

Word of warning on 20:56 - Sep 15 with 1641 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Word of warning on 20:46 - Sep 15 by Ryorry

No, what I was saying was that both are important, that they are not mutually exclusive, and that actions like this, far from improving the situation re climate change, actually damages the campaign of awareness/action to slow it down because many rational and sensible people are alienated by actions which cause death & irreparable damage to others right now.

You also seem to have not read the paragraph in my earlier post which pointed out that the conventional campaigning/actions of the environmental movement since the 1960s has resulted in *legislation in the UK now encompassing recycling, bans on chemicals, reductions in intensive farming, mandatory standards for insulation* etc etc.

Your comment that the "generation who are becoming nihilistic due to climate change? It won't go away and walking down to parliment square does feck all" - 1. Is a massive generalisation, many or even most of that generation are not nihilistic at all, in fact are aware and taking action themselves 2. Those who are actually nihilistic are the very people the campaign needs to convert, but who are actually the ones most likely to throw up their hands in horror & dismiss the campaigners as irresponsible idiots, and thus the whole campaign as idiotic too.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2021 20:58]

What would you suggest as an effective form of protest?

Word of warning on 21:12 - Sep 15 with 1610 viewsRyorry

Word of warning on 20:56 - Sep 15 by BanksterDebtSlave

What would you suggest as an effective form of protest?

The ones we've been successfully using so far, as in my previous 2 posts, which has resulted in mandatory legislation for insulation standards etc etc etc. in the UK (which makes the M25 action particularly pointless). You could add Sir David Attenborough's series on Blue Planet to that - it raised consciousness and action re use of plastics amongst literally millions, perhaps billions of people worldwide.

What's really needed is global action to, a bit counter-intuitively, raise living standards in countries like India, one of the biggest polluters. As one young Indian female character said in a recent radio drama short by a new writer (in the BBCR4Extra 'Creatives' series) - "you can't expect us to be worried about future of the planet 20 years from now when for us, our future is limited to worrying about getting enough food for our children over the next 24 hours.

And then of course China, and the USA etc. ...

Word of warning on 21:18 - Sep 15 with 1585 viewsSeablu

Word of warning on 14:17 - Sep 15 by GlasgowBlue

Is this you in the video Lucan?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9984953/Motorists-clash-Insulate-Britai

[Post edited 15 Sep 2021 14:17]

He’d be asleep in the boot of the car in the background, only to emerge 3 days later with an amusing story involving loads of wine and a hilariously unlikely chain of events.

He isn’t the superhero you imagine in the throes of your self fulfilment.
Word of warning on 21:24 - Sep 15 with 1566 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Word of warning on 21:18 - Sep 15 by Seablu

He’d be asleep in the boot of the car in the background, only to emerge 3 days later with an amusing story involving loads of wine and a hilariously unlikely chain of events.

He isn’t the superhero you imagine in the throes of your self fulfilment.

Your obsession on here with Lucan is proper weird.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Word of warning on 23:29 - Sep 15 with 1460 viewsSeablu

Word of warning on 21:24 - Sep 15 by The_Romford_Blue

Just don’t get the ‘proper bloke ‘hero worship of a problem drinker who feels compelled to share every fanciful adventure in the pursuit of approbation on an anonymous footy forum.

Each to his own though.
Word of warning on 07:48 - Sep 16 with 1354 viewsDanTheMan

Few of things on this thread.

1. I keep see people referring to ambulances being blocked. I've seen videos of the protestors moving out of the way for ambulances so I'm not entirely sure what people are talking about. Are they any specific incidents of them blocking emergency vehicles? If so that is wrong but I've not seen it yet. I'm fairly sure ambulances are used to dealing with traffic jams across the country, given how common they are.

2. People missing hospital appointments is bad and I feel for them. At the same time, if I had an important appointment I'd be trying to make sure I get there with time to spare and be checking the traffic before I left, especially if there had already been disruption.

3. There have been mentions of this already being fixed. As far as I'm aware the protestors are saying that they are not going anywhere near fast enough. I don't have the stats on this but others might. I would say that successive Governments have promised lots of things and then not delivered so it wouldn't exactly be shocking for the Government to say promise one thing and then not deliver.

4. Some have asked for example protests that are effective and do not inconvenience others. Does anybody have these examples as nobody appears to have responded to them?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Word of warning on 08:11 - Sep 16 with 1326 viewsN2_Blue

Word of warning on 23:29 - Sep 15 by Seablu

Just don’t get the ‘proper bloke ‘hero worship of a problem drinker who feels compelled to share every fanciful adventure in the pursuit of approbation on an anonymous footy forum.

Each to his own though.

Wow!

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Word of warning on 08:54 - Sep 16 with 1288 viewsGlasgowBlue

Word of warning on 21:24 - Sep 15 by The_Romford_Blue

I didn’t realise the bigoted old fool seablu still posted on here until I’d seen you reply to him. Still, I do feel pleased for him that he’s moved on to a new target to obsess over since I put him in the trash bin.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 8:55]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Word of warning on 09:08 - Sep 16 with 1255 viewstextbackup

Word of warning on 07:48 - Sep 16 by DanTheMan

1. I keep see people referring to ambulances being blocked. I've seen videos of the protestors moving out of the way for ambulances so I'm not entirely sure what people are talking about. Are they any specific incidents of them blocking emergency vehicles? If so that is wrong but I've not seen it yet. I'm fairly sure ambulances are used to dealing with traffic jams across the country, given how common they are.

2. People missing hospital appointments is bad and I feel for them. At the same time, if I had an important appointment I'd be trying to make sure I get there with time to spare and be checking the traffic before I left, especially if there had already been disruption.

3. There have been mentions of this already being fixed. As far as I'm aware the protestors are saying that they are not going anywhere near fast enough. I don't have the stats on this but others might. I would say that successive Governments have promised lots of things and then not delivered so it wouldn't exactly be shocking for the Government to say promise one thing and then not deliver.

4. Some have asked for example protests that are effective and do not inconvenience others. Does anybody have these examples as nobody appears to have responded to them?

^^^^^^ hahahahahahha - so you leave with 2 hours to spare, for a drive thats 40mins away..... only to be held up for 3 hours for these weapons? no amount of planning gets you around this.

doesnt surprise me in the slightest that these idiots are getting support from TWTD users

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I must remember that next time I have..... on 09:17 - Sep 16 with 1237 viewsBloots

Word of warning on 07:48 - Sep 16 by DanTheMan

...."an important appointment" to have my checklist with me.

1. Roadworks
2. Bad weather
3. Diversions
4. Tsunamis on the Essex/Kent border
5. Gangs of workshy fops sitting in the road

Note to self: Always check for potential hippy interference before leaving the house.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

I must remember that next time I have..... on 09:19 - Sep 16 with 1229 viewsDanTheMan

I must remember that next time I have..... on 09:17 - Sep 16 by Bloots

...."an important appointment" to have my checklist with me.

1. Roadworks
2. Bad weather
3. Diversions
4. Tsunamis on the Essex/Kent border
5. Gangs of workshy fops sitting in the road

Note to self: Always check for potential hippy interference before leaving the house.

I can't be the only person checking traffic before going somewhere where I need to be on time. I don't think that's an insane thing to do.

Word of warning on 09:20 - Sep 16 with 1224 viewsDanTheMan

Word of warning on 09:08 - Sep 16 by textbackup

^^^^^^ hahahahahahha - so you leave with 2 hours to spare, for a drive thats 40mins away..... only to be held up for 3 hours for these weapons? no amount of planning gets you around this.

doesnt surprise me in the slightest that these idiots are getting support from TWTD users

Nice hyperbole but no, I usually just check traffic and leave some wiggle room in case.

How does planning not get around traffic jams you know are going to be there?

Word of warning on 09:24 - Sep 16 with 1207 viewsHerbivore

Word of warning on 21:12 - Sep 15 by Ryorry

The ones we've been successfully using so far, as in my previous 2 posts, which has resulted in mandatory legislation for insulation standards etc etc etc. in the UK (which makes the M25 action particularly pointless). You could add Sir David Attenborough's series on Blue Planet to that - it raised consciousness and action re use of plastics amongst literally millions, perhaps billions of people worldwide.

What's really needed is global action to, a bit counter-intuitively, raise living standards in countries like India, one of the biggest polluters. As one young Indian female character said in a recent radio drama short by a new writer (in the BBCR4Extra 'Creatives' series) - "you can't expect us to be worried about future of the planet 20 years from now when for us, our future is limited to worrying about getting enough food for our children over the next 24 hours.

And then of course China, and the USA etc. ...

Clearly the campaigns you've been involved in haven't been that successful, given that we're currently in a climate crisis.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Don't be silly Dan..... on 09:24 - Sep 16 with 1204 viewsBloots

I must remember that next time I have..... on 09:19 - Sep 16 by DanTheMan

I can't be the only person checking traffic before going somewhere where I need to be on time. I don't think that's an insane thing to do.

.....getting into the merits of the protest itself is one thing, but saying it's the public's fault that they missed hospital appointments isn't going to sit well.

It's not complicated, if there hadn't been people siting in the road, they wouldn't have been delayed.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024