Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Word of warning 09:48 - Sep 15 with 11702 viewsLord_Lucan

Don't get ill, give birth or be in an ambulance on the way to hospital if you are on the M25 today.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

These people literally.... on 09:26 - Sep 16 with 1132 viewsBloots

Word of warning on 09:20 - Sep 16 by DanTheMan

Nice hyperbole but no, I usually just check traffic and leave some wiggle room in case.

How does planning not get around traffic jams you know are going to be there?

....jumped out of the bushes and ran into the road.

It wasn't advertised in the paper that morning.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

These people literally.... on 09:30 - Sep 16 with 1109 viewsDanTheMan

These people literally.... on 09:26 - Sep 16 by Bloots

....jumped out of the bushes and ran into the road.

It wasn't advertised in the paper that morning.

At which point the traffic jams would start being reported very quickly.

If you happened to get caught suddenly in the first few cars, then that's where me leaving wiggle room comes in.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

These people literally.... on 09:34 - Sep 16 with 1091 viewshype313

These people literally.... on 09:30 - Sep 16 by DanTheMan

If you happened to get caught suddenly in the first few cars, then that's where me leaving wiggle room comes in.

I use Waze, it pretty much updates as soon as someone jumps out of the bushes, therefore re routing you.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

These people literally.... on 09:37 - Sep 16 with 1074 viewsDanTheMan

These people literally.... on 09:34 - Sep 16 by hype313

I use Waze, it pretty much updates as soon as someone jumps out of the bushes, therefore re routing you.

I believe there's actually a "bush maniac" notification.

These people literally.... on 09:38 - Sep 16 with 1061 viewshype313

These people literally.... on 09:37 - Sep 16 by DanTheMan

I believe there's actually a "bush maniac" notification.

OldGit?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Don't be silly Dan..... on 09:40 - Sep 16 with 1059 viewsMattinLondon

Don't be silly Dan..... on 09:24 - Sep 16 by Bloots

.....getting into the merits of the protest itself is one thing, but saying it's the public's fault that they missed hospital appointments isn't going to sit well.

It's not complicated, if there hadn't been people siting in the road, they wouldn't have been delayed.

And if everyone tacked climate change etc seriously then there would be no need for them to protest directly like that.

It’s not complicated is it?
This is a silly argument..... on 09:41 - Sep 16 with 1055 viewsBloots

These people literally.... on 09:30 - Sep 16 by DanTheMan

....I think we both know that!

This was the M25 during rush hour, you can't just nip off the motorway and go another way.

The protesters obviously chose the road and the time to create maximum disruption.

Well actually yes..... on 09:44 - Sep 16 with 1048 viewsBloots

Don't be silly Dan..... on 09:40 - Sep 16 by MattinLondon

And if everyone tacked climate change etc seriously then there would be no need for them to protest directly like that.

It’s not complicated is it?

....that element is complicated.

But as I stated, I wasn't debating the merits of the protest.

Nice try though.

Login to get fewer ads

Word of warning on 09:45 - Sep 16 with 1046 viewsFunge

Word of warning on 09:08 - Sep 16 by textbackup

2. People missing hospital appointments is bad and I feel for them. At the same time, if I had an important appointment I'd be trying to make sure I get there with time to spare and be checking the traffic before I left, especially if there had already been disruption.

^^^^^^ hahahahahahha - so you leave with 2 hours to spare, for a drive thats 40mins away..... only to be held up for 3 hours for these weapons? no amount of planning gets you around this.

doesnt surprise me in the slightest that these idiots are getting support from TWTD users

It's a fair point.

Absolutely no doubt about the importance of climate change, but this lots activism is akin to PETA - in that it completely alienates people from their cause.

I'd be fully screwing if I missed a hospital appointment because of this.

Hearts and minds - this lot are winning neither.
This is a silly argument..... on 09:50 - Sep 16 with 1029 viewsDanTheMan

This is a silly argument..... on 09:41 - Sep 16 by Bloots

....I think we both know that!

This was the M25 during rush hour, you can't just nip off the motorway and go another way.

The protesters obviously chose the road and the time to create maximum disruption.

Perhaps, and I'm happy to concede as I have little to no knowledge of the M25. I rarely drive down to London so maybe I'm just completely ignorant.

Well actually yes..... on 09:57 - Sep 16 with 1005 viewsMattinLondon

Well actually yes..... on 09:44 - Sep 16 by Bloots

....that element is complicated.

But as I stated, I wasn't debating the merits of the protest.

Nice try though.

No, but you’ve debated the merits of the protesters themselves by calling them work shy etc.
Word of warning on 09:58 - Sep 16 with 998 viewsMattinLondon

Word of warning on 08:54 - Sep 16 by GlasgowBlue

I didn’t realise the bigoted old fool seablu still posted on here until I’d seen you reply to him. Still, I do feel pleased for him that he’s moved on to a new target to obsess over since I put him in the trash bin.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 8:55]

Always thought that seablu comes across as a decent chap.
Word of warning on 10:08 - Sep 16 with 977 viewsLord_Lucan

Word of warning on 09:58 - Sep 16 by MattinLondon

Always thought that seablu comes across as a decent chap.

Yeah, he seems a great guy.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

This is a silly argument..... on 10:10 - Sep 16 with 965 viewsbluefunk

This is a silly argument..... on 09:50 - Sep 16 by DanTheMan

Perhaps, and I'm happy to concede as I have little to no knowledge of the M25. I rarely drive down to London so maybe I'm just completely ignorant.

On the last point, you’re not the first TWTDer to post an opinion on something they know nothing about and you want be the last
Word of warning on 10:24 - Sep 16 with 929 viewsMattinLondon

Word of warning on 10:08 - Sep 16 by Lord_Lucan

Yeah, he seems a great guy.

Glad you agree.
Agreed, but again.... on 10:24 - Sep 16 with 929 viewsBloots

Well actually yes..... on 09:57 - Sep 16 by MattinLondon

No, but you’ve debated the merits of the protesters themselves by calling them work shy etc.

...that has nothing to do with the wider issue itself.

I was merely commenting on the proposition that the public could have avoided the disruption by checking the traffic news.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Nice try though.

Word of warning on 10:29 - Sep 16 with 919 viewsBellevueblue

Word of warning on 09:24 - Sep 16 by Herbivore

Clearly the campaigns you've been involved in haven't been that successful, given that we're currently in a climate crisis.

Yeah, it's fine having UK legislation around recycling and chemical use but not so much when most of our manufacturing is now overseas.
Word of warning on 10:56 - Sep 16 with 881 viewstextbackup

Word of warning on 09:20 - Sep 16 by DanTheMan

Nice hyperbole but no, I usually just check traffic and leave some wiggle room in case.

How does planning not get around traffic jams you know are going to be there?

lol, you know there's going to be 20 drips walk from the bushes to stop traffic? ill take the lottery numbers too while you're at it

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Word of warning on 10:58 - Sep 16 with 878 viewsDanTheMan

Word of warning on 10:56 - Sep 16 by textbackup

lol, you know there's going to be 20 drips walk from the bushes to stop traffic? ill take the lottery numbers too while you're at it

I've already answered this so there's really no point me going through it again.

Word of warning on 10:59 - Sep 16 with 870 viewstextbackup

Word of warning on 10:58 - Sep 16 by DanTheMan

I've already answered this so there's really no point me going through it again.

i just saw that above, you werent aware of the m25 and how it works.

Word of warning on 11:05 - Sep 16 with 846 viewsDanTheMan

Word of warning on 10:59 - Sep 16 by textbackup

i just saw that above, you werent aware of the m25 and how it works.

Yup, once again, that's exactly what I said. Definitely not hyperbole.

This is a silly argument..... on 11:06 - Sep 16 with 842 viewsloftboy

This is a silly argument..... on 09:50 - Sep 16 by DanTheMan

I live in chertsey for 25 years, anything major happened around junction 11 and the surrounding rat runs would grind to a halt as well, once took 2 hours to get from weybridge to chertsey.
Word of warning on 11:08 - Sep 16 with 837 viewstextbackup

Word of warning on 11:05 - Sep 16 by DanTheMan

Yup, once again, that's exactly what I said. Definitely not hyperbole.

dont be so bitter

Word of warning on 11:14 - Sep 16 with 824 viewsDigger77

Word of warning on 07:48 - Sep 16 by DanTheMan

Few of things on this thread.

1. I keep see people referring to ambulances being blocked. I've seen videos of the protestors moving out of the way for ambulances so I'm not entirely sure what people are talking about. Are they any specific incidents of them blocking emergency vehicles? If so that is wrong but I've not seen it yet. I'm fairly sure ambulances are used to dealing with traffic jams across the country, given how common they are.

2. People missing hospital appointments is bad and I feel for them. At the same time, if I had an important appointment I'd be trying to make sure I get there with time to spare and be checking the traffic before I left, especially if there had already been disruption.

3. There have been mentions of this already being fixed. As far as I'm aware the protestors are saying that they are not going anywhere near fast enough. I don't have the stats on this but others might. I would say that successive Governments have promised lots of things and then not delivered so it wouldn't exactly be shocking for the Government to say promise one thing and then not deliver.

4. Some have asked for example protests that are effective and do not inconvenience others. Does anybody have these examples as nobody appears to have responded to them?

LoL, as the youngsters say.

Classic TWTD.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 11:14]
Word of warning on 11:18 - Sep 16 with 814 viewsmonytowbray

I’d argue the fact a good 50% ratio of posters here at a glance are pro-climate action and are defending civil disobedience as a means to an end would suggest it is working.

Even more so considering I was told to f**k off and “live and let live” 5 years ago raising these points about the planet. People capable of critical thinking are sussing it pretty easily. Funny the advice doesn’t apply here when the inconvenience is self-interest (awaits a nice LOOK AT ME gaslighting response to undermine reality, too predictable here!)

Then again based on the track record of the posters here deflecting the “why” with the “how” and their historical accuracy with hindsight I think I’ll stick with my take and science/evidence.

Still waiting on alternative ways to protest too, expected at least one reply to Matt beyond Ryorry but not anything. He’s right though - protest and civil disobedience is a failure of society to listen, change or act when all else has failed.

Finally, yes, we should protest more like the LBGTQ+ community. The first pride was a riot.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_riots

Not to mention the LGBTQ+ has a lot of connections and action within the BLM protests last year. I believe they were also an issue for the same posters.

Who needs solid goalposts, aye? How are all anyway?
[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 11:21]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024