Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The f**tards are at it again... 10:32 - Sep 24 with 8481 viewsSitfcB

...big queues at all the petrol stations I’ve seen in and around Ipswich/Suffolk this morning.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

The f**tards are at it again... on 10:47 - Sep 24 with 3821 viewsGlasgowBlue

It's a self fulfilling prophesy. The media go overboard in light of just 5 petrol stations in the whole country having issues. Everyone panics and queues up to fill their car. This causes a petrol shortage at the pumps. If you don't don't fill up your car then you are going to be fcuked due to the petrol shortages at the pump. So you join the panic buyers filling up their cars.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The f**tards are at it again... on 10:48 - Sep 24 with 3814 viewsLesta_Tractor

Electricity and gas shortages, queues at the petrol pumps and empty shelves in the supermarket... My wife thinks she's back in Zimbabwe!

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

The f**tards are at it again... on 10:49 - Sep 24 with 3791 viewsnoggin

The f**tards are at it again... on 10:48 - Sep 24 by Lesta_Tractor

Electricity and gas shortages, queues at the petrol pumps and empty shelves in the supermarket... My wife thinks she's back in Zimbabwe!

Corbyn though.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

The f**tards are at it again... on 10:52 - Sep 24 with 3766 viewsGlasgowBlue

The f**tards are at it again... on 10:49 - Sep 24 by noggin

Corbyn though.

I don't think we can blame Corbyn for a pandemic which has caused a shortage of HGV drivers across the whole of the world.

Iron Lion Zion

The f**tards are at it again... on 10:58 - Sep 24 with 3718 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

I cannot help but feel that the government fuels this situation on purpose (no pun intended).

As soon as the reports say "Don't panic buy", the somewhat natural human reaction is to do exactly that, and the queues begin.

It's the same with my young Son - if something appears on TV that I don't want him to see, an alarming news story or a Norwich goal, and I ask him to not look at the TV, the first thing he does is to have a look at the TV!

Surely it would be better for the government to say nothing and see if the shortage does become a (slightly more certain) possibility before saying anything?

Or am I missing something obvious?
The f**tards are at it again... on 11:03 - Sep 24 with 3672 viewschicoazul

Same here in sunny north Essex. Obviously if you asked any of them they would have a perfectly good reason for them being there.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The f**tards are at it again... on 11:27 - Sep 24 with 3577 viewsBasuco

Oh dear, I am in Cheshire and need to fill up to get home and then to the game tomorrow. Bet not many would believe me, if asked, that I need to fill up to get to Portman Road tomorrow.
The f**tards are at it again... on 11:32 - Sep 24 with 3551 viewsSarge

These are probably the same people that bought 400 rolls of toilet paper and 70kg of pasta. Was hoping covid would have killed them off but I guess it doesn’t prey on the stupidest portion of society.
Login to get fewer ads

The f**tards are at it again... on 11:33 - Sep 24 with 3553 viewsBasuco

I might have got this wrong, but didn't the Government change the tax rules in April for large companies hiring agency HGV drivers? Drivers who run as limited companies are now within IR35, paying income tax and National Insurance at source making them much worse off? I know when I was contracting I would not touch a job if it was within IR35 as it was not worth it.
The f**tards are at it again... on 11:38 - Sep 24 with 3510 viewsBasuco

The f**tards are at it again... on 10:58 - Sep 24 by Bad_Boy_Mark

I cannot help but feel that the government fuels this situation on purpose (no pun intended).

As soon as the reports say "Don't panic buy", the somewhat natural human reaction is to do exactly that, and the queues begin.

It's the same with my young Son - if something appears on TV that I don't want him to see, an alarming news story or a Norwich goal, and I ask him to not look at the TV, the first thing he does is to have a look at the TV!

Surely it would be better for the government to say nothing and see if the shortage does become a (slightly more certain) possibility before saying anything?

There will be a massive surge in fuel tax income for the treasury, so maybe it was done on purpose.
The f**tards are at it again... on 11:39 - Sep 24 with 3510 viewsBloomBlue

The f**tards are at it again... on 10:58 - Sep 24 by Bad_Boy_Mark

The Government didn't announce a problem it was BP who announced on Tuesday they would delay supplying petrol to a few stations , the BBC, ITV, Sky etc then started talking about petrol shortages. It was at the point the Gov said don't panic buy, but that will never make any difference once the media start talking about it on Tues/Wed people panic buy.
Same with food at the start of the pandemic, photo's of empty shelves automatically resulted in people panic buying and that caused the shortage

The same happened this morning on the BBC they started talking about petrol shortages when there isn't a shortage of petrol it's just a few petrol stations. The stupid thing is petrol stations have since petrol stations where first invented had some days where they have to close a pump because they're waiting for a supply same as now, but at any other time it's not a news story.

I remember a couple of years ago when my local BP garage didn't have any diesel for 3 days (I only remember it because Mike over the road moaned non-stop about it) did BP announce that to the UUK, nope they didn't. Did the BBC broadcast about it, nope
The f**tards are at it again... on 11:42 - Sep 24 with 3472 viewsGlasgowBlue

The f**tards are at it again... on 11:39 - Sep 24 by BloomBlue

The Government didn't announce a problem it was BP who announced on Tuesday they would delay supplying petrol to a few stations , the BBC, ITV, Sky etc then started talking about petrol shortages. It was at the point the Gov said don't panic buy, but that will never make any difference once the media start talking about it on Tues/Wed people panic buy.
Same with food at the start of the pandemic, photo's of empty shelves automatically resulted in people panic buying and that caused the shortage

The same happened this morning on the BBC they started talking about petrol shortages when there isn't a shortage of petrol it's just a few petrol stations. The stupid thing is petrol stations have since petrol stations where first invented had some days where they have to close a pump because they're waiting for a supply same as now, but at any other time it's not a news story.

I remember a couple of years ago when my local BP garage didn't have any diesel for 3 days (I only remember it because Mike over the road moaned non-stop about it) did BP announce that to the UUK, nope they didn't. Did the BBC broadcast about it, nope

Kay Burley was awful on Sky News this morning. Whipping up mass panic.

Iron Lion Zion

The f**tards are at it again... on 11:46 - Sep 24 with 3447 viewsLeoMuff

The f**tards are at it again... on 10:52 - Sep 24 by GlasgowBlue

I don't think we can blame Corbyn for a pandemic which has caused a shortage of HGV drivers across the whole of the world.

and brexit of course….

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

The f**tards are at it again... on 11:46 - Sep 24 with 3446 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Newmarket Tesco is limiting the amount of fuel that you can purchase today.
The f**tards are at it again... on 11:49 - Sep 24 with 3433 viewsMattinLondon

The f**tards are at it again... on 11:46 - Sep 24 by LeoMuff

and brexit of course….

Wonder if other European countries are experiencing a shortage of drivers etc etc or whether it is a British problem.
The f**tards are at it again... on 11:53 - Sep 24 with 3413 viewshype313

The f**tards are at it again... on 11:49 - Sep 24 by MattinLondon

Wonder if other European countries are experiencing a shortage of drivers etc etc or whether it is a British problem.

Apparently Poland are 100k short and Germany are 50k short.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The f**tards are at it again... on 12:04 - Sep 24 with 3365 viewsGuthrum

Rumour of a shortage? Let's make it real!!

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The f**tards are at it again... on 12:23 - Sep 24 with 3285 viewsmutters

The f**tards are at it again... on 11:33 - Sep 24 by Basuco

I might have got this wrong, but didn't the Government change the tax rules in April for large companies hiring agency HGV drivers? Drivers who run as limited companies are now within IR35, paying income tax and National Insurance at source making them much worse off? I know when I was contracting I would not touch a job if it was within IR35 as it was not worth it.

The flip of this is that the day rates have skyrocketed to counter any additional burden put on the contractor!

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

The f**tards are at it again... on 12:28 - Sep 24 with 3258 viewsPassionNotAnger

The f**tards are at it again... on 10:52 - Sep 24 by GlasgowBlue

Nope, but I'm sure DK could make it the fault of the post-Corbyn labour party!
The f**tards are at it again... on 12:29 - Sep 24 with 3254 viewsbluelagos

The good news here, is that unlike most consumer products, Jo public can't store endless amounts of fuel. The most they can do is fill up their car and any petrol cans they may own.

So once people have filled up, things should settle down in a day or two. Unlikely those needlessly filling up today will be doing so again next week.

Does make a day trip out on the motorbikes an issue mind, given my range is only 130 odd miles and a round trip to Norfolk will likely mean 2 fill ups :-(

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The f**tards are at it again... on 12:29 - Sep 24 with 3243 viewsGlasgowBlue

The f**tards are at it again... on 11:46 - Sep 24 by LeoMuff

and brexit of course….

Yeah. I suppose we could blame Corbyn for Brexit.

But seriously, Brexit has had little effect on the drivers shortage.

"According to ONS data, the loss of EU drivers is only a minor cause of the shortage. At the start of 2020, before the pandemic hit, there were 37,000 EU drivers in the UK. Now, there are 24,500.

That loss of 12,500 drivers only goes a little way to explaining the current shortfall. Given a total of almost 70,000 HGV drivers left during the pandemic alone, this represents just 18% of those who exiting.

It led a logistics thinktank led by Driver Require to conclude “EU drivers leaving the UK did not significantly contribute to the current shortage”, in a new report published this week.

Brits are certainly the more significant factor. Over 55,000 domestic drivers left the industry during the last 18 months. Retirement, a lack of driving tests during Covid, and tax changes have all been cited as the cause.

Retirement has certainly played its part. The haulage industry is an ageing workforce, evidenced by an average age of HGV drivers of 55 years old. Less than 1% are under 25, according to the Road Haulage Association. In 2019, the number of drivers over 50 exceeded those under 50 for the first time [ONS].

It means the rate of retirement has unsurprisingly risen over the past decade, from around 7,500 per year in 2010 to 10,000 per year in 2020, according to analysis of ONS data by Driver Require. This works out at about 4% of the workforce retiring each year.

In pre-pandemic times at least, this was more than offset by new entrants to the industry. Between 2015 and 2019, there were three times more test passes each year than retirements. In theory, driver numbers should have been growing.

However, this wasn’t the case — suggesting many of those who passed their test choose not to drive commercial HGV vehicles at all.

There are now more than 230,000 HGV licence holders under the age of 45 alone in the UK deciding not to work in the commercial haulage sector. For whatever reason, these people have spent around £3,000 acquiring an HGV license only to later opt out of driving commercial vehicles for a living.

To put that in perspective, there are more 30 to 34-year-olds that fall into this category than there were total EU drivers in the UK before the pandemic.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2021 12:33]

Iron Lion Zion

The f**tards are at it again... on 12:40 - Sep 24 with 3187 viewsGuthrum

The f**tards are at it again... on 12:29 - Sep 24 by bluelagos

The good news here, is that unlike most consumer products, Jo public can't store endless amounts of fuel. The most they can do is fill up their car and any petrol cans they may own.

So once people have filled up, things should settle down in a day or two. Unlikely those needlessly filling up today will be doing so again next week.

Does make a day trip out on the motorbikes an issue mind, given my range is only 130 odd miles and a round trip to Norfolk will likely mean 2 fill ups :-(

You say that, but in previous similar crises, there have been cases of people storing the stuff in buckets, open barrels and other unsuitable containers. Also attempting to steal petrol from parked vehicles, including by cutting fuel pipes.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The f**tards are at it again... on 12:43 - Sep 24 with 3166 viewsKieran_Knows

This country is going f**king loopy, isn't it? Seriously.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

The f**tards are at it again... on 12:45 - Sep 24 with 3149 viewsGlasgowBlue

The f**tards are at it again... on 12:40 - Sep 24 by Guthrum

You say that, but in previous similar crises, there have been cases of people storing the stuff in buckets, open barrels and other unsuitable containers. Also attempting to steal petrol from parked vehicles, including by cutting fuel pipes.

The difference between 2000 and now is that back then there was a blockade of the refineries by strikers. Little to no petrol was allowed to leave refineries so there was a genuine shortage.

The supply chain may not be perfect but there isn't a shortage of the product and there is no blockade to stop it reaching the pumps.

So long as people don't drive around on empty there won't be any need for mass storage.

Iron Lion Zion

The f**tards are at it again... on 12:46 - Sep 24 with 3141 viewsSwansea_Blue

The f**tards are at it again... on 10:47 - Sep 24 by GlasgowBlue

It's a self fulfilling prophesy. The media go overboard in light of just 5 petrol stations in the whole country having issues. Everyone panics and queues up to fill their car. This causes a petrol shortage at the pumps. If you don't don't fill up your car then you are going to be fcuked due to the petrol shortages at the pump. So you join the panic buyers filling up their cars.

I bet it's more than 5. There have been 2 garages near me lately with pretty much the whole forecourt closed. Mind you, it's harder for the horse and carts to reach this backwater!

There's certainly a feedback loop though irrespective of how serious shortages are. Shouting 'don't panic' is the surest way to get people to panic!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024