Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… 17:26 - Sep 29 with 6892 viewsmonytowbray

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/aldis-new-vegan-bacon-sparks-25093016

Oh wait.

It’s all rather ironic that this toxic image of masculinity through buying pre-packaged dead animals one didn’t even kill themselves can be so triggered by a word that has seperated us to feel less guilty about eating strips of pig in the first place.

As I said to Lagos this week, if this is how the majority think the planet is f**ked. Luckily from my personal perspective these arguments are getting dumber and those making them are closer to a minority. I hope anyway.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 17:26]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 23:33 - Sep 29 with 1108 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 23:17 - Sep 29 by J2BLUE

I don't see the issue. I assume their vegan bacon has vegan written very clearly on the packaging.

Maybe Aldi should call it vegan bakon. Would you still have an issue then?

At the end of the day the average consumer just has nothing better to do than bitch. I get why pig farmers might be annoyed but what are they really annoyed about? Protecting bacon's true meaning or the fact that someone might try it as an alternative. I assume they wouldn't be so bothered about smoked vegan soy slices because very few would have a clue what they are for.

Bakon is a bit tedious but yes, as you point out, clearly a meat free product should not have the same name as a cut of meat.

A meat free product is never going to be called sirloin, rib eye, rump or Ox cheek... because they are cuts of meat. Bacon is no different, but I suspect you already know that.

I'm going to buy some if I see it in Aldi tomorrow, if it's good I'll try to replicate it, but when I serve it to friends I won't be altering the definition of a traditional cut of meat by calling it bacon when it clearly isn't.
I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 23:43 - Sep 29 with 1029 viewsGuthrum

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 21:08 - Sep 29 by Coastalblue

As a meat eater that lives with a veggie, can't see me ever going the whole hog, am I allowed to say that? But veggie food can be a bit meh, same as any food really, but really good veggie food is awesome, pretty much as good as anything else you'll eat.

I won't lie though, she goes up to Scotland to visit family a few times a year and once on my own, if I'm not working I will often get myself a bit of rump as an occasional treat, not sure I could ever give it up completely.

At least the days of nothing but nut roasts and TVP* have gone.

* Never quite sure whether the T stood for "textured" or "tasteless"

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 00:00 - Sep 30 with 1011 viewsRyorry

Can't physically sit down long enough atm to reaad pp 2 & 3, so sorry if this has already been said, but of all the piffling stupid things to get worked up about - can't help wondering if the outraged referred to have expressed anything like that level of discontent at current Covid infection & death rates still high, Brexit chaos, NHS workers lack of decent pay rise, etc etc etc.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 00:32 - Sep 30 with 984 viewsmonytowbray

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 23:33 - Sep 29 by King_ding_a_lin_g

Bakon is a bit tedious but yes, as you point out, clearly a meat free product should not have the same name as a cut of meat.

A meat free product is never going to be called sirloin, rib eye, rump or Ox cheek... because they are cuts of meat. Bacon is no different, but I suspect you already know that.

I'm going to buy some if I see it in Aldi tomorrow, if it's good I'll try to replicate it, but when I serve it to friends I won't be altering the definition of a traditional cut of meat by calling it bacon when it clearly isn't.

Please do tell me where you have seen a wild piece of bacon or rump?

The fact we call cow “beef” to desensitise reality of what we’re eating really craps on that.

Perhaps if words bother meat eaters they should grasp language first.

TWTD never forgets…

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 00:35 - Sep 30 with 982 viewsmonytowbray

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 23:12 - Sep 29 by King_ding_a_lin_g

Nixe try but you have swerved the question. I regularly make cauliflower harissa steaks... equally delicious and just as acceptable as burgers and sausages that contain no meat.

A burger is a shape. A sausage is a shape.

Again, you don’t see them in nature roaming around. Wild sausages would be fun though.

TWTD never forgets…

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 01:11 - Sep 30 with 974 viewsJ2BLUE

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 23:33 - Sep 29 by King_ding_a_lin_g

You're replying as if i'm an idiot who doesn't get the point. I understand but I just don't see why you're bothered. If you're a pig farmer then I would understand. A random consumer? Get a life.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 05:56 - Sep 30 with 931 viewssolomon

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 18:44 - Sep 29 by monytowbray

The public are reluctant to try much at all, case in point in this thread… Mullet.

I think that’s cuisine in the UK full stop, historically we were a nation of dullards when it came to food, things have only stated to change rapidly in the last 20 years with more adventurous restaurants and such things as street food etc, I strongly believe vegetarian and vegan food is on the cusp becoming more and more mainstream especially considering how prevalent climate change is in our everyday lives. The world is changing.
I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 08:01 - Sep 30 with 889 viewsHerbivore

What are your thoughts on turkey bacon? Also shouldn't call itself bacon? And as I replied to you previously, if a producer gets to the point where they feel they've managed to replicate specific cuts of beef with their plant based products then there's no reason why they wouldn't call it plant based rib-eye or sirloin. You can already buy plant based ribs and wings, despite plants having neither. As I also said in my other post, this is a very weird thing to actually care about, even in passing.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2021 8:03]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 08:44 - Sep 30 with 858 viewsCotty

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 17:38 - Sep 29 by Mullet

So it wins them the argument innit. Not going to convince me to swap meat for veggies when I eat both of them, but salted and flavoured cardboard with a bit of smug branding is definitely going to fool us all so they can say “See! My tofu is just like your food and you couldn’t tell the difference between all that excessive chewing and retching…”

Tofu is nothing to do with replacing meat, it’s been around for hundreds of years. Quorn on the other hand…

We barely eat meat now, fish once or twice a week. All that ultra processed faux meat is weird and nasty. Just eat veggies people!
I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 08:50 - Sep 30 with 853 viewsHerbivore

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 08:44 - Sep 30 by Cotty

Tofu is nothing to do with replacing meat, it’s been around for hundreds of years. Quorn on the other hand…

We barely eat meat now, fish once or twice a week. All that ultra processed faux meat is weird and nasty. Just eat veggies people!

Indeed, tofu isn't a meat substitute, in fact in Chinese cooking it's quite common for it to be part of meat based dishes. It's a good source of protein though so does work well in veggie/vegan dishes as a means of providing the protein element of the dish. I eat a fair bit of tofu, meat substitutes are more of an occasional thing.

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 09:56 - Sep 30 with 804 viewsmonytowbray

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 08:50 - Sep 30 by Herbivore

Indeed, tofu isn't a meat substitute, in fact in Chinese cooking it's quite common for it to be part of meat based dishes. It's a good source of protein though so does work well in veggie/vegan dishes as a means of providing the protein element of the dish. I eat a fair bit of tofu, meat substitutes are more of an occasional thing.

Tofu comes in two forms IMO.

Incredible or not cooked properly.

TWTD never forgets…

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:04 - Sep 30 with 788 viewsHerbivore

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 09:56 - Sep 30 by monytowbray

Tofu comes in two forms IMO.

Incredible or not cooked properly.

The Tofoo Co smoked tofu is amazing, even when not cooked brilliantly. In fact it's so tasty I don't even mind eating it raw.

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:06 - Sep 30 with 784 viewsmonytowbray

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:04 - Sep 30 by Herbivore

The Tofoo Co smoked tofu is amazing, even when not cooked brilliantly. In fact it's so tasty I don't even mind eating it raw.

Bit too firm for me, we get a less firm block from Raja Stores which is 3 times as big.

TWTD never forgets…

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:09 - Sep 30 with 771 viewsHerbivore

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:06 - Sep 30 by monytowbray

Bit too firm for me, we get a less firm block from Raja Stores which is 3 times as big.

I prefer the firm stuff personally, not as keen on squidgy tofu but will still eat it.

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:12 - Sep 30 with 769 viewsgiant_stow

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:04 - Sep 30 by Herbivore

I just can't get it with it personally. One of the worst culinary experiences of my life was on a plane to Australia. I thought I'd been clever by ordering veggie meals to avoid that rubbery airline meat, but come breakfast got served a slab of crappy tofu smothered in tomato sauce, which was disgusting. Everyone else had croissants, bacon and eggs. fuming and put me off for live. scarred.

Quorn mince is fine in a pasta though, so veggie stuff's not all bad.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:14 - Sep 30 with 765 viewsCotty

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:09 - Sep 30 by Herbivore

I prefer the firm stuff personally, not as keen on squidgy tofu but will still eat it.

Top tip for firm tofu lovers. Wrap your uncooked squidgy tofu in a clean tea towel, put it on a worktop, stick a wooden chopping board on it and then a few hefty cook books on top of that. Leave for 10-30 mins depending on how firm you like it. Bob's your mum's brother.
I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:16 - Sep 30 with 762 viewsCotty

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:14 - Sep 30 by Cotty

Top tip for firm tofu lovers. Wrap your uncooked squidgy tofu in a clean tea towel, put it on a worktop, stick a wooden chopping board on it and then a few hefty cook books on top of that. Leave for 10-30 mins depending on how firm you like it. Bob's your mum's brother.

OK now all I can think about is tofu... the south Korean place near to where I work does a bibimbap box with crispy tofu tempura in it. It is to DIE for (but not to kill for, peace out XXX)
I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:17 - Sep 30 with 760 viewsHerbivore

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:14 - Sep 30 by Cotty

Yeah, usually if I get the Cauldron tofu I give it a bit of a press to firm it up. The Tofoo Co stuff is already bang on in terms of firmness so requires less dicking about with it, which I like.

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:30 - Sep 30 with 740 viewsFBI

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:17 - Sep 30 by Herbivore

Yeah, usually if I get the Cauldron tofu I give it a bit of a press to firm it up. The Tofoo Co stuff is already bang on in terms of firmness so requires less dicking about with it, which I like.

+1 for the Tofoo stuff, which is pretty good.

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:55 - Sep 30 with 724 viewsartsbossbeard

I went veggie as I no longer desired an animal to die to form part of my lunch.

I'd happily eat the Aldi bacon even it resembles an animal off-cut because it's not an animal off-cut.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:59 - Sep 30 with 711 viewsDigger77

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:55 - Sep 30 by artsbossbeard

I went veggie as I no longer desired an animal to die to form part of my lunch.

I'd happily eat the Aldi bacon even it resembles an animal off-cut because it's not an animal off-cut.

What about the insects and spiders? Not fluffy so fcuk em?
I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 11:02 - Sep 30 with 697 viewsartsbossbeard

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:59 - Sep 30 by Digger77

Well, I don't do speciesism.

I don't kill insects or spiders.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 11:06 - Sep 30 with 664 viewsHerbivore

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 10:59 - Sep 30 by Digger77

It's already been pointed out, but you seem to be an idiot.

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 11:09 - Sep 30 with 652 viewsJ2BLUE

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 08:44 - Sep 30 by Cotty

What's wrong with Quorn? Obviously it isn't chickpeas or lentils but is there anything actually wrong with it? Yes, I know how it's made. I mainly have 2 Quorn sausages at a time in a sandwich. I don't really eat much of the other stuff except the odd southern style burger which are pretty good.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 11:12 - Sep 30 with 628 viewsDigger77

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 11:06 - Sep 30 by Herbivore

It's already been pointed out, but you seem to be an idiot.

Are saying that none die? You're not being very clear here. I understand its difficult to admit for you guys, especially the smug ones!

Insects lives matter!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024