Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… 17:26 - Sep 29 with 6898 viewsmonytowbray

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/aldis-new-vegan-bacon-sparks-25093016

Oh wait.

It’s all rather ironic that this toxic image of masculinity through buying pre-packaged dead animals one didn’t even kill themselves can be so triggered by a word that has seperated us to feel less guilty about eating strips of pig in the first place.

As I said to Lagos this week, if this is how the majority think the planet is f**ked. Luckily from my personal perspective these arguments are getting dumber and those making them are closer to a minority. I hope anyway.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 17:26]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 19:38 - Sep 29 with 1189 viewsthelingting

I'll be honest - this topic absolutely baffles me.

People like the taste and texture of meat but for whatever reason don't want to eat actual meat. Meat substitutes therefore constitute a great alternative to enjoy something you enjoy without the negative connotations meat has, whether that is morally, environmentally or otherwise.

And again, I don't understand the issue meat eaters have with it and even just calling it "veggie bacon" for instance. Seems a bit odd the amount of outrage it sometimes presents.

I'd agree though, that we'd probably be better off eating lentils/beans/chickpeas etc but still don't see the problem with the alternative meat space.
I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 19:48 - Sep 29 with 1163 viewsmonytowbray

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 19:06 - Sep 29 by Digger77

Don't about a billion insects have to die to satisfy a vegans diet? Or don't they count now?

About a billion or so organisms live and die every day just by you breathing.

But I’d like to present you a challenge and provide evidence for that claim, assuming your question was rhetorical (the second sentence would suggest as much).

TWTD never forgets…

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 19:50 - Sep 29 with 1152 viewsmonytowbray

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 19:28 - Sep 29 by Ewan_Oozami

Yep, a bit spicy and much more palatable than any of the meat ones I've had previously....

I’m yet to try one as I have a weird dislike of butterbeans based on a some weird childhood food trauma that honestly isn’t any level of a deal to my life but also I still find the thought of butter beans makes me nauseous.

TWTD never forgets…

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 20:11 - Sep 29 with 1119 viewsbritbiker

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 18:08 - Sep 29 by J2BLUE

Most people have grown up with meat being the centre of the majority of meals. Putting replacements in a useable form isn't to upset meat eaters, it's just to make it easier for people to switch.

It makes you wonder why more isn't taught in schools about beans, chickpeas, lentils etc. Good for your health, your wallet, animals and the planet. Someone must be making too much money.

I think this is a complete non story. You can find a dozen outraged idiots about literally anything these days. A restaurant could open its doors to the homeless for a night and some people would still say it was a marketing gimmick.

Yeah. Why do those homeless people make pretend cardboard homes. We all know they are not real houses! - States unamed outraged Mirror reader . Its almost like the papers make up crap responses themselves to support another non story.
I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 20:15 - Sep 29 with 1108 viewseireblue

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 19:20 - Sep 29 by Ewan_Oozami

A perfect example of Brandolini's Law.....

Yea, shame Digger didn’t take a few seconds to check what veganism is from a definitive source.

Otherwise he could have avoided that one. Still we all make ourselves look silly now and agin.
I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 20:16 - Sep 29 with 1100 viewsMullet

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 18:40 - Sep 29 by monytowbray

If that’s your opinion on vegan food you clearly suck at cooking.

Sucks indeed!

As for your response dear boy......Food is doing a lot of heavy lifting there!

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 20:19 - Sep 29 with 1089 viewsGuthrum

To be fair, four loons on FaceBook (as reported in a tabloid newspaper*) doesn't really constitute a fair sample of meat eating people.

Calling it bacon is fine by me, might even get round to trying some.

* Assuming a) they really exist and b) if they do, they are not just idiots posting "bantz".
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 20:20]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 20:26 - Sep 29 with 1061 viewsDigger77

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 20:15 - Sep 29 by eireblue

Yea, shame Digger didn’t take a few seconds to check what veganism is from a definitive source.

Otherwise he could have avoided that one. Still we all make ourselves look silly now and agin.

I really don't care enough about veganism to check any kind of source!

It's just something I heard on the radio the other day. Quite a lot of insects, spiders and mice getting minced in combine harvesters!
Login to get fewer ads

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 20:52 - Sep 29 with 1024 viewsbazza

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 20:19 - Sep 29 by Guthrum

To be fair, four loons on FaceBook (as reported in a tabloid newspaper*) doesn't really constitute a fair sample of meat eating people.

* Assuming a) they really exist and b) if they do, they are not just idiots posting "bantz".

Just One solitary person moaning, is more than enough fuel For Some people’s fires..
I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 20:56 - Sep 29 with 1017 viewsCoastalblue

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 20:26 - Sep 29 by Digger77

It's just something I heard on the radio the other day. Quite a lot of insects, spiders and mice getting minced in combine harvesters!

Why is that the fault of vegans? Have meat eaters stopped eating their burgers in rolls? I don't see the connection?

I don't really care about this stuff, about 80% of my diet is veggie these days, but can't deny there are odd things that I do find hard to fathom.

Quorn chicken pieces for example, now I do actually eat a lot of these, but they bare no relation to chicken in any way shape or form, I've always found that an odd label. The southern fried pieces however do make sense, in both terms of looks, cooking and eating.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 21:03 - Sep 29 with 998 viewsLord_Lucan

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 20:19 - Sep 29 by Guthrum

They can call it Perky the Pig rashers for all I care, don't see any problem with it. People identify bacon by the name so it's easy to get what it is a substitute for. Same goes for the size and shape of the product. Bacon, burgers, sausages are made the shape they are for convenience of eating, not sure what people think they should do with vegan bacon, make it pyramid shaped?

Gotta say though, I wouldn't necessarily buy it. RKD is a vegan these days (non preaching variety) and I've had a few nibbles and it's not all that IMHO.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 21:08 - Sep 29 with 991 viewsCoastalblue

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 21:03 - Sep 29 by Lord_Lucan

They can call it Perky the Pig rashers for all I care, don't see any problem with it. People identify bacon by the name so it's easy to get what it is a substitute for. Same goes for the size and shape of the product. Bacon, burgers, sausages are made the shape they are for convenience of eating, not sure what people think they should do with vegan bacon, make it pyramid shaped?

Gotta say though, I wouldn't necessarily buy it. RKD is a vegan these days (non preaching variety) and I've had a few nibbles and it's not all that IMHO.

As a meat eater that lives with a veggie, can't see me ever going the whole hog, am I allowed to say that? But veggie food can be a bit meh, same as any food really, but really good veggie food is awesome, pretty much as good as anything else you'll eat.

I won't lie though, she goes up to Scotland to visit family a few times a year and once on my own, if I'm not working I will often get myself a bit of rump as an occasional treat, not sure I could ever give it up completely.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 21:12 - Sep 29 with 978 viewsbazza

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 21:08 - Sep 29 by Coastalblue

As a meat eater that lives with a veggie, can't see me ever going the whole hog, am I allowed to say that? But veggie food can be a bit meh, same as any food really, but really good veggie food is awesome, pretty much as good as anything else you'll eat.

I won't lie though, she goes up to Scotland to visit family a few times a year and once on my own, if I'm not working I will often get myself a bit of rump as an occasional treat, not sure I could ever give it up completely.

To be honest, this thread makes me want to fire up the bbq 😂.
I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 21:16 - Sep 29 with 971 viewsLord_Lucan

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 21:08 - Sep 29 by Coastalblue

I think there is a difference between vegan and veggie, and least a veggie can cook with milk and butter.

The reason a high class restaurant food tastes better than any food an average chef can make is the amount of salt and butter they put in it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 21:17 - Sep 29 with 966 viewsmonytowbray

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 20:16 - Sep 29 by Mullet

Sucks indeed!

No, I mean it. If vegan food taste bad to you you evidently don’t have a clue.

TWTD never forgets…

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 21:17 - Sep 29 with 964 viewsmonytowbray

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 20:26 - Sep 29 by Digger77

So you don’t know what you’re on about. Glad we sorted that one out.

TWTD never forgets…

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 21:36 - Sep 29 with 918 viewsNthQldITFC

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 17:48 - Sep 29 by BanksterDebtSlave

Hate to break it to you but the planet is f'cked.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/sep/29/green-growth-economic-acti

What a piece of work is man.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 22:48 - Sep 29 with 849 viewsFBI

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 21:36 - Sep 29 by NthQldITFC

What a piece of work is man.

Now that is the finest three-different-levels reply I've seen for ages. I doff my hat to you, sir.

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 22:50 - Sep 29 with 842 viewsFBI

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 20:16 - Sep 29 by Mullet

Sucks indeed!

Christ. Save us from the 'gotter 'ave me bit o'meat' brigade.

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 22:57 - Sep 29 with 829 viewsSwansea_Blue

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 18:08 - Sep 29 by GlasgowBlue

People are genuinely thick. I was in a supermarket last week in Coatbridge where a woman was arguing with one of the shelf stackers because she wanted to know how much she had to pay for her meat as it said "reduced in Scotland".

It actually said "produced in Scotland" but the woman wasn't having any of it. She though the English had to pay the ticket price but it was "reduced in Scotland".

On a side note, we are doing a lot of plant based food in my coffee shops and I'm amazed how reluctant non vegan people are to try some of the vegan cakes. I get why they may not want one of our Spinach and Falafel Burgers. It won't taste like an 8oz Aberdeen Angus Burger. But the vegan cakes look and taste like any other cake. Same with the GF stuff. Folk look horrified when it's offered.

I'd have the spinach and falafel burger. Vegan foods can be every bit as tasty as meat, and more so when you're used to them.

I wouldn't buy the imitation stuff from shops though. Like any processed food it tends to taste like crap. There are so many options for tasty vegan dishes from natural ingredients. I can't imagine eating the sugar and salt filled processed stuff is any better for you than any other sort of processed food.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 23:04 - Sep 29 with 818 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 19:30 - Sep 29 by Herbivore

Facebook has sussed that I'm a vegan so I get lots of ads for plant based food products and it's hilarious reading the comments on them. At least 75% of the comments are from triggered gammons (sorry, red faced intellectually challenged humans) complaining that plant based products can't name themselves after meat. Imagine that being something that genuinely bothers you. No wonder this country is a mess.

I'm a bit of a stickler for facts... but I'm satisfied if you want to take some carrots and chickpeas, create a burger shape with the resulting mush, season it and call if a burger. Same if you want to make a sausage shape from it and call it a sausage.

I have some sympathy for those who have their noses put out of joint if a product is called bacon but doesn't contain pork... firstly because it appears that they are bothered enough to make such a fuss but secondly because it does seem to be factually incorrect.

If I was to take the carroty, chickpea mush (seasoned and deliciously tasty) and create a steaky kind of shape... can I sell it as sirloin or rib-eye?
I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 23:08 - Sep 29 with 798 viewsJ2BLUE

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 23:04 - Sep 29 by King_ding_a_lin_g

I'm a bit of a stickler for facts... but I'm satisfied if you want to take some carrots and chickpeas, create a burger shape with the resulting mush, season it and call if a burger. Same if you want to make a sausage shape from it and call it a sausage.

I have some sympathy for those who have their noses put out of joint if a product is called bacon but doesn't contain pork... firstly because it appears that they are bothered enough to make such a fuss but secondly because it does seem to be factually incorrect.

If I was to take the carroty, chickpea mush (seasoned and deliciously tasty) and create a steaky kind of shape... can I sell it as sirloin or rib-eye?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 23:12 - Sep 29 with 787 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 23:08 - Sep 29 by J2BLUE

Nixe try but you have swerved the question. I regularly make cauliflower harissa steaks... equally delicious and just as acceptable as burgers and sausages that contain no meat.
I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 23:13 - Sep 29 with 770 viewsHerbivore

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 23:04 - Sep 29 by King_ding_a_lin_g

I'm staggered anyone actually cares either way in all honesty. These products are always clearly labelled as plant based, vegan etc. It's not like anyone is going to mistake vegan bacon for pig bacon. Same with the example you've given of the steaks, I'm not sure plant based products have advanced so far as to replicate the nuances of texture and flavour of a sirloin versus a rib-eye but if a manufacturer felt they'd got there then sure, go for it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 23:17 - Sep 29 with 754 viewsJ2BLUE

I see the vegans are out yet again forcing people to do things… on 23:12 - Sep 29 by King_ding_a_lin_g

Nixe try but you have swerved the question. I regularly make cauliflower harissa steaks... equally delicious and just as acceptable as burgers and sausages that contain no meat.

I don't see the issue. I assume their vegan bacon has vegan written very clearly on the packaging.

Maybe Aldi should call it vegan bakon. Would you still have an issue then?

At the end of the day the average consumer just has nothing better to do than bitch. I get why pig farmers might be annoyed but what are they really annoyed about? Protecting bacon's true meaning or the fact that someone might try it as an alternative. I assume they wouldn't be so bothered about smoked vegan soy slices because very few would have a clue what they are for.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024