Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference 08:21 - Oct 20 with 1835 viewsDarth_Koont

We saw it against Cambridge until they went off and we saw it again last night. Both of them have been excellent at defending from the front, occupying defenders and generally keeping the ball and the pressure further up the pitch. That they’ve been scoring is a bonus but really a reflection of the overall job they’re doing.

We’ve now got a few bench-mark players around the team: Donacien, Edmundson, Morsy, Chaplin, Aluko and Bonne. And plenty of opportunity for others to come in and do the same.

Feels positive, not just because we’re seeing more and more of how Cook’s formation should work but opposition teams will probably need to worry about us a lot more as that pattern emerges.

Pronouns: He/Him

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 08:23 - Oct 20 with 1440 viewsgordon

Yes, and Toto - hope we see a little bit less of Celina, Fraser and Burgess for the next few weeks.
Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 08:26 - Oct 20 with 1404 viewsDubtractor

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 08:23 - Oct 20 by gordon

Yes, and Toto - hope we see a little bit less of Celina, Fraser and Burgess for the next few weeks.

Fraser is one that divides opinion, I remain unconvinced though, certainly the way we have been playing him anyway. Too lightweight and too slow, though clearly can pick a pass.

I'd personally want to find a spot for burns in the line up as he is involved in so much of our good attacking play.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2021 9:23]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 08:28 - Oct 20 with 1388 viewstextbackup

Aluko is massive for us, unselfish running, a real team player.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 08:29 - Oct 20 with 1376 viewswkj

At the time, I honestly thought Aluko was going to be Cooks 'Giles Coke' signing.

How wrong I was.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 08:30 - Oct 20 with 1375 viewsDarth_Koont

Toto played well but not sure he’s cemented his place like the others. And I still think Fraser comes back in when fit for the overall job he does.

But Celina, Edwards, Barry and even Burns need to show more at the moment. On the ball, they can do stuff no-one else can, but it’s the off the ball stuff and not being invisible in games they need to work on. I think that’s where Chaplin and Aluko have done particularly well.

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 08:34 - Oct 20 with 1336 viewswkj

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 08:30 - Oct 20 by Darth_Koont

Toto played well but not sure he’s cemented his place like the others. And I still think Fraser comes back in when fit for the overall job he does.

But Celina, Edwards, Barry and even Burns need to show more at the moment. On the ball, they can do stuff no-one else can, but it’s the off the ball stuff and not being invisible in games they need to work on. I think that’s where Chaplin and Aluko have done particularly well.

I think Burns has shown enough - It can not be understated how complete a package Burns and Janoi have been. Barry needs to go for the sake of his own development.

Celina has never captured my hype (even under Mick), though I hope that changes

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 08:40 - Oct 20 with 1276 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Barry's been largely invisible in games because he hasn't been in games!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:05 - Oct 20 with 1210 viewsSomethingBlue

Celina has had four starts (three assists) and come off fairly severe Covid complications and no pre-season, so I’m not up for suggesting he’s been disappointing. There’s clearly going to be a major use for him - on the left or in that No10 role, where in the first half yesterday we were crying out for someone to get on the ball and knit things in a way Chaplin doesn’t really. All such discussions really highlight what a good, varied set of options we have for the many different challenges that will come our way.

Agree with the OP re Chaplin and Aluko though. It’s great Chaplin has found his feet - like Celina he had reasons to need time - and it’s handy to have someone else up there who clearly has a goal in him. In Aluko’s case, what had stood out for me is the care he takes with the ball - it’s in those moments that you can see he’s played at a higher level. Not as direct as Burns but the fact he’s emerging as a force is a big plus, perhaps unfairly I hadn’t expected it.

In short - what a set of possibilities we have for those positions!

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:09 - Oct 20 with 1175 viewschicoazul

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:05 - Oct 20 by SomethingBlue

Celina has had four starts (three assists) and come off fairly severe Covid complications and no pre-season, so I’m not up for suggesting he’s been disappointing. There’s clearly going to be a major use for him - on the left or in that No10 role, where in the first half yesterday we were crying out for someone to get on the ball and knit things in a way Chaplin doesn’t really. All such discussions really highlight what a good, varied set of options we have for the many different challenges that will come our way.

Agree with the OP re Chaplin and Aluko though. It’s great Chaplin has found his feet - like Celina he had reasons to need time - and it’s handy to have someone else up there who clearly has a goal in him. In Aluko’s case, what had stood out for me is the care he takes with the ball - it’s in those moments that you can see he’s played at a higher level. Not as direct as Burns but the fact he’s emerging as a force is a big plus, perhaps unfairly I hadn’t expected it.

Mad to think Harper Burns Edwards and Fraser are currently bit-part players.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:09 - Oct 20 with 1176 viewstractorboy1978

The key to our season is going to be how we defend from here on in IMO. Scoring goals is a given with the wealth of talent and options we have. Last night was comfortable in the end - a mixture of us making it so and Pompey being poor, however, there are going to be times when we are going to have to really dig in, be resolute and defend properly to get wins. It is encouraging that Edmundson seems to be growing by the game.
Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:09 - Oct 20 with 1173 viewsBseaBlue

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 08:28 - Oct 20 by textbackup

Aluko is massive for us, unselfish running, a real team player.

He is almost like Hunty isn't he? Works his nads off, nice and tidy with the ball and the main thing for me is that he tries to progress our play rather than the backwards and sideways stuff.

Hearing the fans singing his name will no doubt give him confidence. It was great to hear the town fans in full voice and singing the player songs last night.
Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:14 - Oct 20 with 1147 viewsDubtractor

I made the point last night about the care aluko took of the ball. It stuck every time he received it, and his passing was spot on.

In a first half that was just a scrappy mess that really stuck out to me.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:18 - Oct 20 with 1122 viewsgordon

For me Fraser just isn't a fit with the system - if he plays we don't have a wide attacking threat on both sides - it makes a big difference to how the opposition defence plays if you've got a threat on both sides, and creates space for everyone else - that's why we were able to create chances quite easily in the second half, and why Chaplin in the no. 10 position was able to get on the ball in space.
Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:18 - Oct 20 with 1119 viewsBseaBlue

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:14 - Oct 20 by Dubtractor

I made the point last night about the care aluko took of the ball. It stuck every time he received it, and his passing was spot on.

I thought he was our best player in the scrap that was the first half. He tries to pick a player out in a good position which makes a massive difference.

A few times he turned inside and found Penney to try and open things up. Makes a huge difference rather than the possession for possession sake stuff.
Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:24 - Oct 20 with 1076 viewsgordon

For me we're always going to have goals in the team whoever we select, so those forward players with the best positional sense, ball retention, hardest workers and contributing the most defensively are going to give us the best line-up, and it looks like Chaplin, Aluko, Bonne and probably Burns (decent in the air) in the front four positions are leading in that respect at the moment.
Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:24 - Oct 20 with 1061 viewsNthQldITFC

There's something about Chaplin's goal that reeks of real quality to me. It was a really incisive movement by him, a precise pass, and an absolutely clinical finish that was at least a division higher in terms of overall quality. If we keep producing stuff like that up front, we will destroy teams on a regular basis. Very encouraging.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:31 - Oct 20 with 1019 viewsSomethingBlue

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:09 - Oct 20 by chicoazul

Mad to think Harper Burns Edwards and Fraser are currently bit-part players.

Yep. I think we are starting to see now that most of our players will add something specific when they're on — think we're in for horses-for-courses stuff and I suspect that's how Cook will manage it. The one I'm a bit uncertain about is Harper. I quite like his current use as sub to give us some presence on the ball *but* he's such a talent and it's hard to see where he fits in currently, hope we can make it happen with him.

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:32 - Oct 20 with 1003 viewsSomethingBlue

Yep and we need that — Burns is explosive and has been impressive so far but does make a few sloppy concessions. Good to have those two competing on the right.

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:34 - Oct 20 with 986 viewsbournemouthblue

He really helps link the play and join it up, I was always liked him in his younger days, he still looks like he has got it in fairness to him

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:36 - Oct 20 with 979 viewsDarth_Koont

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:18 - Oct 20 by gordon

For me Fraser just isn't a fit with the system - if he plays we don't have a wide attacking threat on both sides - it makes a big difference to how the opposition defence plays if you've got a threat on both sides, and creates space for everyone else - that's why we were able to create chances quite easily in the second half, and why Chaplin in the no. 10 position was able to get on the ball in space.

Possibly. Although Fraser has been our best linkup player and certainly him and Chaplin have often looked on the same wavelength.

If teams are going to be wary of us and get players behind the ball then Fraser’s passing and general creativity on the edge of the box become pretty important. If we’re going to be counter-attacking then it’ll be more the quick-breaking Celina or Burns.

The great thing about this squad is there’s always someone able to offer a very different threat. And we don’t really need players to play a game that’s not their natural one.

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:41 - Oct 20 with 955 viewsDarth_Koont

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 08:40 - Oct 20 by The_Flashing_Smile

Barry's been largely invisible in games because he hasn't been in games!

Sure. He hasn’t had much of a chance and he played very well against Gillingham I thought.

He’s only a kid so he’s got time. But Aluko has taken his chances and pushed himself into the team ever since the first game when he was clearly not up to speed.

That’s the benchmark for the others now.

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:41 - Oct 20 with 952 viewsblueislander

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:18 - Oct 20 by BseaBlue

I thought he was our best player in the scrap that was the first half. He tries to pick a player out in a good position which makes a massive difference.

A few times he turned inside and found Penney to try and open things up. Makes a huge difference rather than the possession for possession sake stuff.

We do have an abundance of talent for the front four, although, obviously Bonne has to be nailed on. Various combinations of the other three could work. Personally I would FA our Burns on the right as he has a good understanding with Donacien, and also seems to be able to find Bonne with his crosses. Chaplin at the moment is first choice in the middle, and I would have Aluko on the left.

I thought Evans was very good last night. Like many others I am not convinced by Nsiala. Goalkeeper is still a problem though.. Walton only had one save to make, but he didn’t seem to have a great understanding with the Centre backs, although they have played very little together. But his kicking was really poor.
Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:41 - Oct 20 with 950 viewsArnieM

The thing I’ve noticed with games Ive watched, is teams work very hard at closing us down , and pressing us high up the pitch making it difficult for us to get it out from the back four. But usually as the game goes on their fitness levels fail and the6 can5 continue that work rate…..leaving us to forge more of a hold on the game especially into the second half. Last nights game was the same pattern. Cook said a few weeks ago, that our fitness levels were not yet at the level he wanted….. I’d suggest we are now approaching that level.

It has always been about “ time”. Time for players to settle into their new environment, “ time” to forge understanding and partnerships with team mates, “ time” for fitness levels to reach optimal levels …….such a shame so many Town fans have been so opposed to allowing that critical factor to take effect.

Last night was not in isolation…. We have been on a run of improving performances and you don’t go from conceding goals per game and losing or drawing games at the death , to suddenly winning every game. You get a period of rollercoaster performances…….which hopefully will flatten out and we’ll get more positive consistency of say, back to back wins, with occasional draws. The ideal scenario.

Onwards and upwards 👍

Keep supporting the team and most of all Paul Cook. He really IS the right man for us and the job in hand.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:57 - Oct 20 with 887 viewstractorboy1978

Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 09:36 - Oct 20 by Darth_Koont

Possibly. Although Fraser has been our best linkup player and certainly him and Chaplin have often looked on the same wavelength.

If teams are going to be wary of us and get players behind the ball then Fraser’s passing and general creativity on the edge of the box become pretty important. If we’re going to be counter-attacking then it’ll be more the quick-breaking Celina or Burns.

The great thing about this squad is there’s always someone able to offer a very different threat. And we don’t really need players to play a game that’s not their natural one.

Must be very hard to set a team up to play against us from the off when as you say, we have so many different types of options in those attacking areas. Can see why Cook wants to keep schtum on injuries/selection. It's a 4-2-3-1 but there's a lot of variation in how we can play it.
Chaplin and Aluko have made a big difference on 10:19 - Oct 20 with 831 viewsBluefish

We've heard over and over about the sport science being right. Talks of red zones dictating player selection. If Celina isn't right he shouldn't play and shouldn't start league games.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024