Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
49,000 odd cases today 17:07 - Oct 20 with 9226 viewsgiant_stow

Its all going to sh1t again innit.

Great.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

49,000 odd cases today on 09:35 - Oct 21 with 901 viewsWeWereZombies

49,000 odd cases today on 08:15 - Oct 21 by positivity

i was thinking along the lines of animal cruelty myself, the bats have suffered enough during this pandemic

https://ethics.org.au/ethics-explainer-what-is-it-like-to-be-a-bat/

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

49,000 odd cases today on 09:57 - Oct 21 with 860 viewstw25

49,000 odd cases today on 17:30 - Oct 20 by Illinoisblue

I have zero tolerance for a gobsheeite in a green Puma tracksuit spouting nonsense. Credit to that woman for staying calm. He really needed a punch in the throat.

How is this post allowed on a public forum?

"He really needed a punch in the throat. "

Disgusting.
49,000 odd cases today on 09:59 - Oct 21 with 857 viewstw25

49,000 odd cases today on 17:21 - Oct 20 by StokieBlue

Unfortunately this was always likely to be the case given bad weather and more indoor mixing. Removing things like the mask mandate has not helped either and given some of the attitudes to masks prevalent in society it's going to be hard to get some people to wear them again.

Hospitalisations were also up 11% and deaths up 21% week-on-week. There are concerns about people not getting boosters and suffering waning immunity. As it stands the hospitalisations are still a long way off the previous peaks but it could easily escalate and when combined with flu (which could also be reduced with mask wearing) it could be very bad for the NHS.

There is also a mutated version of the delta variant circulating in the UK which accounted for 6% of cases last week. This leads to two possibilities:

1) It was spread in a specific event hence the spike in cases.
2) It's more transmissible than the baseline delta variant (possibly up to 15% more)

Hard to see us getting through the winter with out least some restrictions back in place. The most sensible thing the government could do today would be to make masks mandatory again as that at least prevents some of the spread of both covid and flu.

It won't happen though, it'll happen when it's too late to make the required difference. I would go further and take the French/German approach which require vaccine passports everywhere but clearly that isn't popular as we have seen on here before.

SB

"Hard to see us getting through the winter with out least some restrictions back in place. The most sensible thing the government could do today would be to make masks mandatory again as that at least prevents some of the spread of both covid and flu."

Which type of masks are you talking about?
49,000 odd cases today on 10:02 - Oct 21 with 841 viewsZXBlue

49,000 odd cases today on 09:59 - Oct 21 by tw25

"Hard to see us getting through the winter with out least some restrictions back in place. The most sensible thing the government could do today would be to make masks mandatory again as that at least prevents some of the spread of both covid and flu."

Why is that relevant?
49,000 odd cases today on 10:04 - Oct 21 with 834 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I think this would look lovely on you.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

49,000 odd cases today on 10:05 - Oct 21 with 830 viewstw25

49,000 odd cases today on 10:02 - Oct 21 by ZXBlue

Why is that relevant?

No offense but this conversation is a non starter if your not aware why this could be relevant.
49,000 odd cases today on 10:06 - Oct 21 with 828 viewsgordon

49,000 odd cases today on 00:32 - Oct 21 by BasingstokeBlue

I don’t see what use the “number of infections” metric is (apart from allowing certain rags to misinterpret it’s insignificance.)

The main metrics we should be trying to minimize are (i) Covid19-caused deaths and (b) Covid19-related hospital admissions, since they may overwhelm the NHS.

These two metrics have, on the whole, been quite stable recently.

The mass-jabbing programme has made sure that most people contracting (and testing positive for) SARS-Cov-2 infection will not suffer the terrible symptoms and side-effects of Covid19 and that few, if any, will die from it.

So, if neither the death-rate nor the hospitalisation-rate are rising significantly, I don’t think we’ve reached the Armageddon predicted by certain rags whose main agendae are to panic all the red-top readers.

Very high case rates are really important because it makes it very difficult for immuno-compromised people to go out and about, and also makes it very difficult for hospitals, GPs, care homes to operate safely.
49,000 odd cases today on 10:08 - Oct 21 with 820 viewsStokieBlue

You know exactly what type of masks.

Why are you trying to muddy the waters with pointless whatabouterry? I see you're a "new" user with 3 posts all in this thread and all downplaying covid.

Really not hard to see what is going on here.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

49,000 odd cases today on 10:09 - Oct 21 with 811 viewsZx1988

49,000 odd cases today on 09:57 - Oct 21 by tw25

How is this post allowed on a public forum?

"He really needed a punch in the throat. "

Disgusting.

Because he does? It's the only way he'll learn/listen.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

49,000 odd cases today on 10:12 - Oct 21 with 805 viewsZx1988

For those who are concerned about the complete lack of mask-wearing within Portman Road, and the fact that the club seemingly couldn't care less, perhaps it might be worth pinging a quick email to the club?

Nothing too heavy-handed, just a simple enquiry as to what they intend to do regarding the enforcement of entry conditions given the surge in cases and the medical/scientific advice that mask-wearing should return.

I don't want to see matches return to behind closed doors because other people can't/won't follow simple rules, and I'm sure the club's balance sheet wouldn't like that either.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2021 10:14]

49,000 odd cases today on 10:14 - Oct 21 with 792 viewstractorboy1978

49,000 odd cases today on 10:12 - Oct 21 by Zx1988

For those who are concerned about the complete lack of mask-wearing within Portman Road, and the fact that the club seemingly couldn't care less, perhaps it might be worth pinging a quick email to the club?

Nothing too heavy-handed, just a simple enquiry as to what they intend to do regarding the enforcement of entry conditions given the surge in cases and the medical/scientific advice that mask-wearing should return.

I don't want to see matches return to behind closed doors because other people can't/won't follow simple rules, and I'm sure the club's balance sheet wouldn't like that either.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2021 10:14]

Absolutely p!ssing in the wind I am afraid.
49,000 odd cases today on 10:16 - Oct 21 with 775 viewsZx1988

49,000 odd cases today on 10:14 - Oct 21 by tractorboy1978

Absolutely p!ssing in the wind I am afraid.

As much as I'd like to think otherwise, I do fear that'll be the case.

If it continues like this, and the inevitable reimposition of restrictions takes place (Sajid Javid was on R4 this morning referring to 'when Plan B will be implemented', and was constantly backtracking to add '...or indeed, if'), no doubt the club will look at the gap in finances caused by 20k people not rocking up every fortnight and wonder if/think they could have done more.

Given that so much of the club's marketing in the summer was 'we need your money in order to comply with FFP and carry out our plans', it seems odd that the club are willing to jeopardise that income in order to keep people happy and maintain an easy life.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2021 10:22]

49,000 odd cases today on 10:18 - Oct 21 with 773 viewstw25

49,000 odd cases today on 10:08 - Oct 21 by StokieBlue

Why are you trying to muddy the waters with pointless whatabouterry? I see you're a "new" user with 3 posts all in this thread and all downplaying covid.

SB

3 post all downplaying Covid?
Highlighting someone posting about punching another person in the throat is downplaying Covid? Jeez.....

I was asking about the point you made regarding mask wearing that is all.
If you make a point its good to follow up with details within.

Which type of mask are you referring to?
49,000 odd cases today on 10:20 - Oct 21 with 758 viewsStokieBlue

49,000 odd cases today on 10:18 - Oct 21 by tw25

Highlighting someone posting about punching another person in the throat is downplaying Covid? Jeez.....

Once again, you know which type of masks so this is clearly a leading question which will evolve into:

"Those types of masks don't work"
"Masks in general don't work"
"Stop being a sheeple"

I have no inclination to get into that with you. What exactly are you trying to achieve with your question?

SB
[Post edited 21 Oct 2021 10:21]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

49,000 odd cases today on 10:22 - Oct 21 with 744 viewsWeWereZombies

49,000 odd cases today on 10:18 - Oct 21 by tw25

You will soon learn the Mumsnet aspect of the TWTD forum, so to get you started here is what I think you are looking for:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/best-face-masks

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

49,000 odd cases today on 10:22 - Oct 21 with 743 viewstractorboy1978

49,000 odd cases today on 10:16 - Oct 21 by Zx1988

If it continues like this, and the inevitable reimposition of restrictions takes place (Sajid Javid was on R4 this morning referring to 'when Plan B will be implemented', and was constantly backtracking to add '...or indeed, if'), no doubt the club will look at the gap in finances caused by 20k people not rocking up every fortnight and wonder if/think they could have done more.

Given that so much of the club's marketing in the summer was 'we need your money in order to comply with FFP and carry out our plans', it seems odd that the club are willing to jeopardise that income in order to keep people happy and maintain an easy life.

In fairness to ITFC, they've done far more than most clubs in the country and more than they have to. I've not been to an away ground yet where I've had to show any proof of vaccination or a negative test - that is still being enforced rigidly at PR in my experience, been checked every time. And I don't believe any other club in the division has even required masks in the concourse.

It's totally unmanageable I am afraid, unless they have huge numbers of staff walking around and throwing out people who don't wear them, which in my experience is virtually the whole North Stand. That would get nasty quickly with alcohol involved and not worth the hassle. Ultimately it's a business and people are adults who enter the stadium at their own risk.
49,000 odd cases today on 10:30 - Oct 21 with 712 viewsZx1988

49,000 odd cases today on 10:22 - Oct 21 by tractorboy1978

In fairness to ITFC, they've done far more than most clubs in the country and more than they have to. I've not been to an away ground yet where I've had to show any proof of vaccination or a negative test - that is still being enforced rigidly at PR in my experience, been checked every time. And I don't believe any other club in the division has even required masks in the concourse.

It's totally unmanageable I am afraid, unless they have huge numbers of staff walking around and throwing out people who don't wear them, which in my experience is virtually the whole North Stand. That would get nasty quickly with alcohol involved and not worth the hassle. Ultimately it's a business and people are adults who enter the stadium at their own risk.

I agree that it's a tricky one, and you're right that they've put in place fantastic measures regarding checking for vaccinated/negative status.

The 'how' is the big question and I'm not entirely sure how I would approach it. I went to a match at Cambridge this time last year when we had the few weeks of limited attendances, and the stewarding there was very hot on making sure masks were worn at all times. Although, at the same time, a few thousand folks at The Abbey is a different proposition to 20k at Portman Road.

I suppose my concern is that, regardless of national restrictions, Suffolk Council (IIRC) can impose their own restrictions on a venue if it is found to be a Covid risk, and at the moment all that is(n't) happening at PR is creating the perfect scenario for that to happen.

Perhaps (thinking as I type here...) the answer isn't direct enforcement, but very audibly/visibly highlighting the potential consequences of refusing to adhere to the terms of entry in that the stadium could be shut down?

49,000 odd cases today on 10:34 - Oct 21 with 698 viewsSwansea_Blue

49,000 odd cases today on 10:08 - Oct 21 by StokieBlue

SB

Indeed and well said.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

49,000 odd cases today on 10:34 - Oct 21 with 697 viewsPinewoodblue

49,000 odd cases today on 10:16 - Oct 21 by Zx1988

To be fair Ipswich are one of only a handful of clubs who check fans in entry.

Trouble is the only way to be sure Covid isn’t brought into the stands is to require double jabbed fans to also produce proof of a recent, clear, LF test. The numbers testing positive seem to suggest as many as 1 in 3, probably higher with double jabbed, show no symptoms.

Government policy is to leave it to the individual to carry out their own risk assessment. With fans knowing that mask wearing is not being enforced the truth is that attendance figures should be falling significantly game to game.

The need to gather in a crowded space prior to watching a game of football clearly is more important than any desire not to bring Covid home with you.

What I can’t understand is if the government is as useless as everyone seems to suggest why aren’t more taking responsibility for their own actions. Why wait for restrictions to be mandatory.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

49,000 odd cases today on 10:38 - Oct 21 with 670 viewsZx1988

49,000 odd cases today on 10:34 - Oct 21 by Pinewoodblue

To be fair Ipswich are one of only a handful of clubs who check fans in entry.

Trouble is the only way to be sure Covid isn’t brought into the stands is to require double jabbed fans to also produce proof of a recent, clear, LF test. The numbers testing positive seem to suggest as many as 1 in 3, probably higher with double jabbed, show no symptoms.

Government policy is to leave it to the individual to carry out their own risk assessment. With fans knowing that mask wearing is not being enforced the truth is that attendance figures should be falling significantly game to game.

The need to gather in a crowded space prior to watching a game of football clearly is more important than any desire not to bring Covid home with you.

What I can’t understand is if the government is as useless as everyone seems to suggest why aren’t more taking responsibility for their own actions. Why wait for restrictions to be mandatory.

I understand and agree with the point regarding personal responsibility, and that's why I wear a face covering within enclosed spaces, undertake regular LFTs, and all the other precautions.

Making your own individual choices, however, cannot legislate for those in society who believe they know better than the medical/scientific advice, and decide that the best course of action for them is to do as they please.

Yes there's a personal element to it all - I enjoy going to the football, and want to keep going to the football. There's also the broader picture - big events such as football, concerts, beer festivals etc., are always going to be the riskiest, and the ones that (if managed incorrectly) could be the major catalysts towards pushing us back into heavier restrictions that would otherwise be necessary.

I fear that we've probably crossed the rubicon at this point, but it would be nice to think we could all pull together, make small personal sacrifices such as steamy glasses, and do what we can to help ensure that any upcoming restrictions are as light and short-lived as possible.

49,000 odd cases today on 10:45 - Oct 21 with 631 viewsMookamoo

49,000 odd cases today on 10:38 - Oct 21 by Zx1988

I understand and agree with the point regarding personal responsibility, and that's why I wear a face covering within enclosed spaces, undertake regular LFTs, and all the other precautions.

Making your own individual choices, however, cannot legislate for those in society who believe they know better than the medical/scientific advice, and decide that the best course of action for them is to do as they please.

Yes there's a personal element to it all - I enjoy going to the football, and want to keep going to the football. There's also the broader picture - big events such as football, concerts, beer festivals etc., are always going to be the riskiest, and the ones that (if managed incorrectly) could be the major catalysts towards pushing us back into heavier restrictions that would otherwise be necessary.

I fear that we've probably crossed the rubicon at this point, but it would be nice to think we could all pull together, make small personal sacrifices such as steamy glasses, and do what we can to help ensure that any upcoming restrictions are as light and short-lived as possible.

But the Government absolutely can legislate for those in society who believe they know better than the medical/scientific advice - thats their job. I agree, in reality we have passed the point of not return to mandate masks anymore.
49,000 odd cases today on 10:48 - Oct 21 with 619 viewsPinewoodblue

49,000 odd cases today on 10:38 - Oct 21 by Zx1988

The biggest advantage of mask wearing is it protects others. If people stopped going because the club are not enforcing their own rules the club would quickly do something about it.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

49,000 odd cases today on 11:09 - Oct 21 with 577 viewspointofblue

Mask wearing should have never been lifted and Covid passports should have never been ditched. Life needs to be made harder for those who refuse to have the jab as a matter of choice; I’d go as far and make them pay for NHS treatment should they come down with Covid and need assistance.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

49,000 odd cases today on 12:12 - Oct 21 with 507 viewsRyorry

49,000 odd cases today on 10:30 - Oct 21 by Zx1988

I agree that it's a tricky one, and you're right that they've put in place fantastic measures regarding checking for vaccinated/negative status.

The 'how' is the big question and I'm not entirely sure how I would approach it. I went to a match at Cambridge this time last year when we had the few weeks of limited attendances, and the stewarding there was very hot on making sure masks were worn at all times. Although, at the same time, a few thousand folks at The Abbey is a different proposition to 20k at Portman Road.

I suppose my concern is that, regardless of national restrictions, Suffolk Council (IIRC) can impose their own restrictions on a venue if it is found to be a Covid risk, and at the moment all that is(n't) happening at PR is creating the perfect scenario for that to happen.

Perhaps (thinking as I type here...) the answer isn't direct enforcement, but very audibly/visibly highlighting the potential consequences of refusing to adhere to the terms of entry in that the stadium could be shut down?

Some of you in Suffolk may have heard this on your local radio too, but the Chief Public Health Officer (sorry, forget his name) of SCC was on BBCR4 'Today' programme this a.m. explaining that infection rates in Ipswich are currently amongst the highest in the country, if not *the* highest, at something like 853 cases/100K (? iirc), and they've therefore now taken the decision to mandate masks in schools.

This may also explain why they took a strong stance with itfcjoe & his kids (on another thread a few days ago).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

49,000 odd cases today on 12:17 - Oct 21 with 487 viewsgiant_stow

49,000 odd cases today on 12:12 - Oct 21 by Ryorry

Some of you in Suffolk may have heard this on your local radio too, but the Chief Public Health Officer (sorry, forget his name) of SCC was on BBCR4 'Today' programme this a.m. explaining that infection rates in Ipswich are currently amongst the highest in the country, if not *the* highest, at something like 853 cases/100K (? iirc), and they've therefore now taken the decision to mandate masks in schools.

This may also explain why they took a strong stance with itfcjoe & his kids (on another thread a few days ago).

The infection rates in my boy's class are sky high and have been for 3 or 4 weeks. Another 3 have come down with it in the last couple of days, plus several of their parents. I reckon we must be up to about 10-12 out of 30 who've either had it or having it.

Apparently year 4 of the school (120 kids) officially counts as an 'outbreak' in Public Health England terminology now, but that still doesn't mean the year is closed. I don't understand this. The latest infections might have been avoided if the class had shut a few weeks back.

I spose the only possible conclusion is a policy of herd immunity, which seems to be sh1t.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2021 12:18]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024