Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who sleeps well? 19:31 - Nov 5 with 2247 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Anyone got any tips? I get to sleep without much trouble but invariably wake up way too early. My body aches like a very achey thing today and I swear it's just lack of sleep.

Really envy people who just go out like a light. Been watching a video from some science guy who says you need to get sunlight onto your eyes as early as poss (when the sun's coming up) and then again as it's going down, to get your circadian rhythm back on track. Doesn't seem very practical with life/jobs etc.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Who sleeps well? on 21:43 - Nov 5 with 594 viewsbelgablue

I’ve started finding if I have one or two beers I’ll always wake up in the middle of the night. Either means I can’t drink or I have to drink more and deal with the consequences.

Usually I have a camomile tea every day about 8:30pm before heading to bed circa 10pm and reading a bit. No science backs this but seems to work until baby Belga says otherwise!

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Who sleeps well? on 21:43 - Nov 5 with 590 viewsSwansea_Blue

Who sleeps well? on 21:36 - Nov 5 by factual_blue

Sleep-inducing, calming music and sounds over headphones. I fall asleep like this every night, and have done for a couple of years or more.

Sleep like a baby for eight hours or more.

Wake up having soiled your nappy and then latch on to a breast?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Who sleeps well? on 21:46 - Nov 5 with 591 viewsgtsb1966

Who sleeps well? on 21:36 - Nov 5 by factual_blue

Sleep-inducing, calming music and sounds over headphones. I fall asleep like this every night, and have done for a couple of years or more.

Sleep like a baby for eight hours or more.

Do you mean asmr. That is very sleep inducing as long as you wear headphones. Do not listen to the sex asmr. Keeps you awake...so I'm told.
Who sleeps well? on 22:56 - Nov 5 with 558 viewsRyorry

Who sleeps well? on 21:27 - Nov 5 by gtsb1966

I was talking about humans . Seriously though an underactive thyroid means medication for life hence free prescriptions but not for an overactive one.

I mentioned it only because the medication he was on for the first 7 years was actually exactly the same one as was used for humans back then! So I assume the condition in the two species is not dissimilar.

Anyway, the various solutions on the thread all go to show that different things work for different people, so the OP just needs to try them out till he finds one or more that work for him as an individual.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Who sleeps well? on 23:00 - Nov 5 with 554 viewstextbackup

as a shift worker i can report my sleep is horrendous.

lay awake for hours thinking about what jobs need doing on the house, trying to plan everything in, thinking about the kids, ITFC on loop in the brain....

good fun this getting older lark
[Post edited 5 Nov 2021 23:02]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Who sleeps well? on 23:06 - Nov 5 with 542 viewsMelford

I sleep really badly with the silly hours I do but these kind of videos make me go out like a light. White noise, fan/hoover/hairdryer sounds

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Who sleeps well? on 23:08 - Nov 5 with 535 viewsgtsb1966

Who sleeps well? on 23:00 - Nov 5 by textbackup

as a shift worker i can report my sleep is horrendous.

lay awake for hours thinking about what jobs need doing on the house, trying to plan everything in, thinking about the kids, ITFC on loop in the brain....

good fun this getting older lark
[Post edited 5 Nov 2021 23:02]

I did the night shift for 31 years. Definitely not good for you.
Who sleeps well? on 23:58 - Nov 5 with 503 viewstextbackup

Who sleeps well? on 23:08 - Nov 5 by gtsb1966

I did the night shift for 31 years. Definitely not good for you.

its only 1 week in 5. and 2 weeks off recovery after.

so not as bad as other night shift patterns you see, but agree, it does take its toll

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

Who sleeps well? on 05:24 - Nov 6 with 471 viewsKropotkin123

Who sleeps well? on 21:25 - Nov 5 by StokieBlue

Sounds like a new mattress (and possibly topper) will do a nice job for you.

The most likely reason for a bad nights sleep is a poor mattress, certainly fits in with you being achy. Most the good ones will give you 100 days to test it so there is no harm in ordering one and then returning it if it hasn't helped.

By the time you're an adult the circadian rhythm is pretty much sorted, it shouldn't change that quickly with light stimulus. As you get older it tends to shift so you go to bed earlier and wake up earlier. It's normal - we are just getting old.

SB
[Post edited 5 Nov 2021 21:26]

Yeah, I was going to suggest this too.

I feel like bad posture affects sleep. Nothing scientific, just personal experience.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Who sleeps well? on 10:11 - Nov 6 with 417 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Who sleeps well? on 21:25 - Nov 5 by StokieBlue

Sounds like a new mattress (and possibly topper) will do a nice job for you.

The most likely reason for a bad nights sleep is a poor mattress, certainly fits in with you being achy. Most the good ones will give you 100 days to test it so there is no harm in ordering one and then returning it if it hasn't helped.

By the time you're an adult the circadian rhythm is pretty much sorted, it shouldn't change that quickly with light stimulus. As you get older it tends to shift so you go to bed earlier and wake up earlier. It's normal - we are just getting old.

SB
[Post edited 5 Nov 2021 21:26]

"The most likely reason for a bad nights sleep is a poor mattress."

I find this statement a little hard to believe to be honest. There are multiple reasons why people have insomnia.

Nevertheless, we have a fairly new mattress (less than 2 years old) and memory foam, so it's a pretty decent one. The aching I referred to was more like when you have flu - that kind of aching. Feel a lot better today after a sleep, funnily enough!

Who sleeps well? on 10:14 - Nov 6 with 417 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Who sleeps well? on 19:55 - Nov 5 by Coastalblue

In the same programme there was something about a technique taught to the US military, it's about relaxing your body a bit at a time, starts with your tongue or jaw I think.

I'll try and find a link, believe it was 5 live.

The warm bath thing is definitely a thing I've heard but rarely tried. Will have to try that again.

Who sleeps well? on 10:15 - Nov 6 with 417 viewsclive_baker

I used to be a great sleeper until my little ones came along. That screwed it for obvious reasons and I’ve never been a good sleeper since, even on the rare occasions they’re with grandparents or I’m away with work etc.

I think there’s some good advice on this thread.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Who sleeps well? on 10:18 - Nov 6 with 414 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Who sleeps well? on 21:22 - Nov 5 by TractorWood

Since I've started running lots of marathons and ultra marathons I've found it much harder to sleep. Some nights I only get 3-4 hours sleep. At best 6-7.

Apparently this is quite common for very high mileage runners.

I find ear plugs, podcasts and reading help me rest but I might not necessarily be asleep.

I do run most mornings, albeit only around 6k. You'd have thought exercise would make you tireder later on!

Who sleeps well? on 10:45 - Nov 6 with 402 viewsleitrimblue

I sleep supremely, very good mattress and a big bedtime spliff does it for me. It's also very, very quiet here, which I'm sure helps
Who sleeps well? on 11:00 - Nov 6 with 391 viewsurbanblue

Who sleeps well? on 20:08 - Nov 5 by Lightworker

I have looked into this a fair bit over the last year or so and can offer the following advice.

Caffeine and alcohol are big sleep disruptors, many people believe they sleep fine after an evening or afternoon coffee but science shows that for the majority of us our sleep quality is affected by caffeine even if we don't realize it. Not sure if you drink much tea or coffee but if possible try and have a no caffeine after midday rule, this will help massively. Try and avoid alcohol in the evenings as well whenever possible.

Blue light affects our ability to feel sleepy by tricking the brain into thinking it is still daytime, I find it really helps to have a cut off point after which all phones,laptops etc. are switched off and i then read for a while in a dimly lit room. When doing this I find I feel quite sleepy after half an hour or so. Blue light glasses might also be worth trying as well as blue light reduction apps for your phone and laptop.

Try to get into a regular sleep pattern if possible, going to bed and getting up at the same time really helps as your body/brain will soon get used to this and respond accordingly. Try to allow yourself an 8 hour sleep opportunity which should guarantee at least 7 hours sleep.

keep your room at a cool temperature, the ideal is about 19 degrees C, any warmer than this and it will take your body longer to cool down to the temperature which initiates sleep. If you are lucky enough to share your bed with a lovely lady this can be a big problem as I am sure they operate at a completely different temperature to men!

Eat your evening meal as early as possible and try not to have large high carb meals in the evening as this will also hinder your ability to get to sleep.

Finally, this one may seem a bit odd but I have found it an absolute game changer. Try applying a small piece of tape over your lips which will result in you breathing only through your nose and not your mouth. this will pretty much eliminate snoring and will aid sleep quality no end. I now wake up feeling so much more rested and refreshed than I ever used to. It feels a little strange at first but you soon get used to it. Obviously you need the right sort of tape as you don't want to pull half the skin off your lips the next morning!

More info on this below if you are interested. Hope this helps.

https://elemental.medium.com/the-modern-sleep-habit-thats-incredibly-bad-for-you

100% this on the sleep tape thing. I started to do this after listening to this interview with James Nestor the author of 'Breath'. He talks about it quite early on.

A year later and I can vouch for the resulting improved sleep and feeling refreshed in the morning.Breathing through the nose helps prevent snoring and helps with Sleep Apnea, so often the reason for poor sleep.

It's a matter of training yourself to breathe through the nose. Using micro tape means if you switch to mouth while sleeping the tape just breaks so it's all completely safe.

For the first few weeks I often woke with the tape broken but I've now trained my breathing and I wake with it in place.

Quite amazing ...

[Post edited 6 Nov 2021 11:02]
Who sleeps well? on 12:47 - Nov 6 with 331 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Who sleeps well? on 11:00 - Nov 6 by urbanblue

100% this on the sleep tape thing. I started to do this after listening to this interview with James Nestor the author of 'Breath'. He talks about it quite early on.

A year later and I can vouch for the resulting improved sleep and feeling refreshed in the morning.Breathing through the nose helps prevent snoring and helps with Sleep Apnea, so often the reason for poor sleep.

It's a matter of training yourself to breathe through the nose. Using micro tape means if you switch to mouth while sleeping the tape just breaks so it's all completely safe.

For the first few weeks I often woke with the tape broken but I've now trained my breathing and I wake with it in place.

Quite amazing ...

[Post edited 6 Nov 2021 11:02]

Very interesting, thanks. I'm not working next week so I'm going to try a few of the ideas in this thread (not that I expect any to work right away).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024