Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? 05:49 - Nov 30 with 2553 viewssolomon

Does anyone think a short stay at home circuit breaker would be beneficial in the run up to Christmas? Be interested to know what those who are employed within healthcare on here think.
Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 06:07 - Nov 30 with 2258 viewsdickie

This government tend to do everything 3 or 4 weeks too late so expect it in January
Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 06:52 - Nov 30 with 2209 viewsYallop

It could only help bring the numbers down but I'm not sure I could face more home schooling again!
Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 07:04 - Nov 30 with 2188 viewswkj

Probably not - a circuit breaker now would force everyone inside in whatever size social bubble we're allowed and potentially spread the virus around worse.

It will take about 3 weeks to know the capabilities of the Omicron variant, so any action until that point would be speculative.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 07:10 - Nov 30 with 2171 viewsBlueBadger

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 06:07 - Nov 30 by dickie

This government tend to do everything 3 or 4 weeks too late so expect it in January

3-4 weeks too late would be a considerable improvement on the current 6.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 07:49 - Nov 30 with 2072 viewsGlasgowBlue

Circuit breakers don’t work. When Wales tried a circuit breaker lockdown in October last year they saw a 45% increase in infections. They were soon back into a full lockdown.

Similarly the Scottish Government introduced a circuit breaker in later November last year. We came out of the circuit breaker for just ten days and then went into a four month lockdown.

It’s either a full lengthy lockdown, which has been proven to work, or nothing.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 11:22 - Nov 30 with 1881 viewsSarge

No
Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 06:05 - Dec 17 with 1604 viewssolomon

Kinda wishing we had done it now, seems things are accelerating again. Full lock down next month looks inevitable.
Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 06:52 - Dec 17 with 1522 viewsGlasgowBlue

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 06:05 - Dec 17 by solomon

Kinda wishing we had done it now, seems things are accelerating again. Full lock down next month looks inevitable.

Todays figures will be very interesting. After a massive increase on Wednesday it was feared cases would double every day. Instead cases increased from 78,000 to 88,000. Hopefully that trend will continue.

If it does double today then I can’t see us avoiding a post Christmas lockdown. Certainly not going to happen before Christmas.

Even Wales, who have been the most cautious of home nation governments are holding off on increasing restrictions until 27 December. And even then they are only bringing back axial distancing and closing nightclubs.

I would imagine that that will happen across the whole UK after Christmas. Nit a full ockdown but maybe drinking outside again and a 6pm curfew in all hospitality.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 07:03 - Dec 17 with 1484 viewsElderGrizzly

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 06:52 - Dec 17 by GlasgowBlue

Todays figures will be very interesting. After a massive increase on Wednesday it was feared cases would double every day. Instead cases increased from 78,000 to 88,000. Hopefully that trend will continue.

If it does double today then I can’t see us avoiding a post Christmas lockdown. Certainly not going to happen before Christmas.

Even Wales, who have been the most cautious of home nation governments are holding off on increasing restrictions until 27 December. And even then they are only bringing back axial distancing and closing nightclubs.

I would imagine that that will happen across the whole UK after Christmas. Nit a full ockdown but maybe drinking outside again and a 6pm curfew in all hospitality.

It’s the Omicron that is meant to double every 2 to 3 days, not all cases every day.

We also only have limited testing capacity that the Govt have just increased by 150k a day from after xmas.
Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 07:06 - Dec 17 with 1470 viewsbluelagos

Not sure where you get double every day from, they were talking about a doubling time of 2 to 3 days.

They also talked of 2 pandemics, namely Omicron runs as does Delta.

Given Delta was plodding along at 50k a day and assuming that is unchanged, the Omicron figures went from 28k to 38k in a day (fag packet guess on my part) which is consistent with doubling every 2 to 3 days of Omicron.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 07:18 - Dec 17 with 1433 viewsbelgablue

Reports suggest it has already peaked in Gaugeng with week on week cases falling so a lockdown now might not do anything significant other than prove to be very expensive.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 07:29 - Dec 17 with 1389 viewsGlasgowBlue

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 07:03 - Dec 17 by ElderGrizzly

It’s the Omicron that is meant to double every 2 to 3 days, not all cases every day.

We also only have limited testing capacity that the Govt have just increased by 150k a day from after xmas.

What is your gut feeling from working around government? Full lockdown after Christmas or social distancing and 6pm hospitality curfew?

Iron Lion Zion

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 07:39 - Dec 17 with 1361 viewssolomon

Lord knows what will ever stop this cycle of events.
Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 08:27 - Dec 17 with 1278 viewsSparky85

You would absolutely kill the hospitality and leisure sector with this. Jan is a good time to do it. As has been mentioned above, we won’t know for a couple of weeks whether Omicron will start increasing hospitalisations and deaths.

I agree that waiting is the right thing to do at the moment. We need to see the effects first before reacting to all these cases.
Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 08:42 - Dec 17 with 1254 viewsElderGrizzly

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 07:29 - Dec 17 by GlasgowBlue

What is your gut feeling from working around government? Full lockdown after Christmas or social distancing and 6pm hospitality curfew?

Nothing indicates any kind of action imminently. Heads in the sand etc, shown by the attacks on Whitty etc by the CRG. And they hold a lot of sway in the Govt, even more so after last night.

I’d predict a wishy washy plea around New Year to be sensible, but that could be upgraded if we get really bad data on Omicron. We still don’t know the full picture there and probably won’t until late Dec/early Jan
Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 09:05 - Dec 17 with 1217 viewsNthQldITFC

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 07:49 - Nov 30 by GlasgowBlue

Circuit breakers don’t work. When Wales tried a circuit breaker lockdown in October last year they saw a 45% increase in infections. They were soon back into a full lockdown.

Similarly the Scottish Government introduced a circuit breaker in later November last year. We came out of the circuit breaker for just ten days and then went into a four month lockdown.

I'm surprised at this, although I haven't read much about it so happy to be corrected. I would have thought that by definition circuit breakers must work. Is it just a question of degree, or the length of the 'break'?

As a virus is fundamentally dependent for promulgation, and therefore survival, upon contact between infected and uninfected hosts, surely separating those hosts into isolated 'cells' must have the effect of reducing the number of infections (which then has the knock on effect of a lower baseline to grow from in following days).

I suppose if every 'cell' contains an infected member at the start that would make it pointless though. But I guess it's more that if the circuit breaker is significantly shorter than the infectious period, or if the background rate of rise is already very high, then the circuit breaker appears not to work. But by definition, I remain convinced that any circuit breaker has to work to some extent and it's just a question of tuning?
[Post edited 17 Dec 2021 9:06]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 09:10 - Dec 17 with 1186 viewsStokieBlue

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 07:06 - Dec 17 by bluelagos

Not sure where you get double every day from, they were talking about a doubling time of 2 to 3 days.

They also talked of 2 pandemics, namely Omicron runs as does Delta.

Given Delta was plodding along at 50k a day and assuming that is unchanged, the Omicron figures went from 28k to 38k in a day (fag packet guess on my part) which is consistent with doubling every 2 to 3 days of Omicron.

They don't really know how fast Omicron is spreading, an R of between 3 and 5 gives a huge scope for difference. They did think it might be under 2 days doubling now though.

Delta will be a minority of cases in a few weeks I imagine.

I suspect it'll be over 100,000 today and then at some point soon we simply won't know as we will be at the limit of our testing.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 09:11 - Dec 17 with 1176 viewsStokieBlue

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 07:49 - Nov 30 by GlasgowBlue

Not so sure about this with Omicron.

If you can stop three sets of doubling it could make a big difference over the shorter term whilst people are getting boosted.

Obviously won't happen, the Tories won't do it and when Whitty hints at it he gets dogs abuse from the Tory backbenchers (which was awful).

It would also have to be a very harsh circuit breaker - very draconian.

SB
[Post edited 17 Dec 2021 9:21]

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 09:30 - Dec 17 with 1131 viewsNthQldITFC

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 09:11 - Dec 17 by StokieBlue

If you can stop three sets of doubling it could make a big difference over the shorter term whilst people are getting boosted.

Obviously won't happen, the Tories won't do it and when Whitty hints at it he gets dogs abuse from the Tory backbenchers (which was awful).

SB

Surely we should all (or at least the vast majority) be capable of a week of harsh lockdown for a big benefit, after two years of awareness and preparation? I just don't understand people any more.

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 10:17 - Dec 17 with 1056 viewsgiant_stow

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 09:30 - Dec 17 by NthQldITFC

Surely we should all (or at least the vast majority) be capable of a week of harsh lockdown for a big benefit, after two years of awareness and preparation? I just don't understand people any more.

Politically, I can't see how Boris could call any sort of full lockdown right now. People will need to be dropping dead in the high hundreds again for some Tories to even consider it an option. Many of them seem to be outraged by even what he announced the other day.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 10:24 - Dec 17 with 1038 viewsGlasgowBlue

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 09:11 - Dec 17 by StokieBlue

SB

Of course I had posted that before Omicron. I still think. Circuit breaker is just kicking the can down the road.

Only a full lockdown has been proven to work in the UK.

Iron Lion Zion

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 13:32 - Dec 17 with 938 viewsNthQldITFC

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 10:24 - Dec 17 by GlasgowBlue

Of course I had posted that before Omicron. I still think. Circuit breaker is just kicking the can down the road.

Kicking the can down the road is a useful tactic while you're getting boosters into people. Nothing works or doesn't work completely and permanently. All these things are useful to a greater or lesser extent, but it certainly would be useful to flatten the curve out a bit right now!

Sorry, hadn't realised your original comment was pre-Omicron.

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 13:41 - Dec 17 with 903 viewsStokieBlue

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 10:24 - Dec 17 by GlasgowBlue

Fully understand you posted it before Omicron and that circumstances have changed since you posted it.

Kicking the can down the road might be something we need to do at some point depending on the pressure on the NHS.

SB

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 13:50 - Dec 17 with 884 viewsChurchman

Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 10:17 - Dec 17 by giant_stow

Politically, I can't see how Boris could call any sort of full lockdown right now. People will need to be dropping dead in the high hundreds again for some Tories to even consider it an option. Many of them seem to be outraged by even what he announced the other day.

I suspect this is where it is. There will be a lot of denial within government and fear of doing anything. I saw it first hand a few years ago on other sensitive stuff. One thing is for sure - they won’t do what is right. They’ll do what they think works politically and lay the blame any place they can.

Personally, I don’t think lockdowns work as such, but they do delay. If vaccination does work to an extent, it’d make sense to buy a bit of time now. I’d have introduced lockdown from the beginning of this week to the end of the first week of Jan just to get more people vaccinated.

I’d also mirror Austrian/German requirements on vaccination. It’s called being part of society where people have a responsibility for each other as well as themselves.
Quick short sharp circuit breaker before Xmas? on 13:59 - Dec 17 with 842 viewseireblue

Independent Sage have suggested it would be a good idea.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2021 14:17]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024