Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... 08:41 - Dec 2 with 3864 viewsitfcjoe

...being an Ipswich fan.

But then every now and again something else punctures through.

My Mum's family are all Arsenal ST holders, home and away fans living in North London.......it's not that long ago they used to come down when we were playing them and have a weekend here, talking about Wembley '78 and the like

The gap felt massive when we last played them (and beat them!) at Portman Road when we went back to the away game they seemed to be in a different stratosphere.

A few years later we are getting knocked out of a Cup to their youth team.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 10:10 - Dec 2 with 1497 viewsDubtractor

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:54 - Dec 2 by clive_baker

I think it was defintely more evident earlier in the season, Wimbledon was a farce, Cheltenham we got properly bullied. Bolton was shocking. But personnel is different now, namely Walton (Bolton debut aside), Morsy, Edmundson getting fit who have formed a more robust spine. Still imperfect, definitely, but less of a soft touch than we were previously when our first XI is out there IMO.

In our last 10 league games we've only failed to win once after going ahead, and that was away to Plymouth who were then top. We also had plenty of chances to get something from that and I think we were worth a point. But isn't that life? Football would be a bit dull if we could all go home after the first goal.

We have picked up points in games from losing positions too. 1-0 down away to Wycombe we turn it around and win 4-1. We've had Fleetwood come back and equalise late and found some character to get the winner. We've had Crewe pull one back and we've reacted well and certainly scould've scored a 3rd.

For me I've seen enough since August / September to have the reasons to beleive we're more street wise and robust than we were then. I think we're probably as good as most sides in the top half, the issue is I don't really see any evidence that we're demostrably better. Sunderland were no better than us, we can beat them at home. Oxford weren't either, Plymouth weren't, Wycmobe weren't, Pompey weren't, Sheff Wed weren't.

Rotherham was sobering, we're way off them, the rest of the pack is all much of a muchness, but that in itself is depressing. We've spent a lot of money and I would argue we're no better than a number of sides operating on a heck of a lot less funding than us.

Are you forgetting the Cambridge collapse?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 10:11 - Dec 2 with 1498 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:54 - Dec 2 by clive_baker

I think it was defintely more evident earlier in the season, Wimbledon was a farce, Cheltenham we got properly bullied. Bolton was shocking. But personnel is different now, namely Walton (Bolton debut aside), Morsy, Edmundson getting fit who have formed a more robust spine. Still imperfect, definitely, but less of a soft touch than we were previously when our first XI is out there IMO.

In our last 10 league games we've only failed to win once after going ahead, and that was away to Plymouth who were then top. We also had plenty of chances to get something from that and I think we were worth a point. But isn't that life? Football would be a bit dull if we could all go home after the first goal.

We have picked up points in games from losing positions too. 1-0 down away to Wycombe we turn it around and win 4-1. We've had Fleetwood come back and equalise late and found some character to get the winner. We've had Crewe pull one back and we've reacted well and certainly scould've scored a 3rd.

For me I've seen enough since August / September to have the reasons to beleive we're more street wise and robust than we were then. I think we're probably as good as most sides in the top half, the issue is I don't really see any evidence that we're demostrably better. Sunderland were no better than us, we can beat them at home. Oxford weren't either, Plymouth weren't, Wycmobe weren't, Pompey weren't, Sheff Wed weren't.

Rotherham was sobering, we're way off them, the rest of the pack is all much of a muchness, but that in itself is depressing. We've spent a lot of money and I would argue we're no better than a number of sides operating on a heck of a lot less funding than us.

Think your second paragraph is a bit out - I make it twice that we’ve failed to win after going ahead (Cambridge and Plymouth). That doesn’t sound a lot however in 3 of the other games we haven’t had a lead at any point to throw away, and in a further 2 games (Shrewsbury and Fleetwood) we’ve been pegged back before regrouping to get a winner

Obviously the latter is a positive in terms of character but the fact that we’ve thrown away leads in 4 of the last 7 games we’ve led in (and that’s not including cup games like last night) do suggest to me that this is still a problem, and one that really needs to be sorted quickly if we are going to get where we want to be (and indeed for Cook if he wants to keep his job)

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 10:11 - Dec 2 with 1497 viewsblueboyd

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 10:05 - Dec 2 by TheBlueGnu

The day Town reach the Premiership will coincide with the moment when Miss Minogue says to me: "That was great TheBlueGnu, do it again honey"

by that time Miss Minogue will be as dry as a desert!
You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 10:25 - Dec 2 with 1461 viewstractorboy1978

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:31 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

We didn't switch off or stop playing on Sunday. Crewe got one back not 2. I don't know what you're saying. We conceded a goal on Sunday, that's about the only similarity.

Crewe had 3/4 breaks after they scored when better decision making would have seen us in trouble. We allowed it to become an end to end game.

We rarely ever look comfortable in a game which is a horrible trait to have. We've only had 3 convincing wins all season, 4 if you include Gillingham in the cup. I appreciate a win is a win but when you are habitually making games you are ahead in/dominating a scrap, it's worrying.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 10:26]
You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 10:31 - Dec 2 with 1444 viewsclive_baker

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 10:10 - Dec 2 by Dubtractor

Are you forgetting the Cambridge collapse?

Yes forgot about that. That was poor, we were so dominant in the first half, we should've been completely out of sight.

I do feel like we're improving on that front though, generally. We're far from perfect, and it isn't working for me, but I didn't worry on Sunday that we wouldn't win that. In fact there wasn't a moment after the 3rd minute where I didn't think we would win, or deserved to win. Crewe aren't a great side though, we need to be beating the top sides.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 10:46 - Dec 2 with 1419 viewsChiefXL

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:31 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

We didn't switch off or stop playing on Sunday. Crewe got one back not 2. I don't know what you're saying. We conceded a goal on Sunday, that's about the only similarity.

"We didn't switch off or stop playing on Sunday."

Yes we did.
You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 12:34 - Dec 2 with 1329 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 10:46 - Dec 2 by ChiefXL

"We didn't switch off or stop playing on Sunday."

Yes we did.

No we didn't. We had a one-on-one with the keeper at the end, plus several other very presentable chances.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 12:48 - Dec 2 with 1311 viewsVic

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 08:57 - Dec 2 by unstableblue

I do remember in the away game we seemed light years behind them.

I also remember being not being that impressed about our 'Priskin' home performance, did we actually look decent in the home leg?

As for last night they were always going to have extremely gifted footballers, I thought even as a set of U21s they were valid opposition - but we bossed them with intensity. But then our soft underbelly got exposed YET AGAIN.

Watching a lot more Premier League games this season, the GULF in class to us seems enormous, in just speed of play, technical ability of players, and technical shape employed. Even Norwich look streets ahead, but to be honest from a footballing perspective they looked streets ahead in the play-off finals years back.

We needed a complete rebuild, a complete reset and refresh. It pains me to think its failed again and we're going to now have to start a second project!

Come on players and Cook FECKIN run towards adversity.. seize the moment at THE VALLEY.. or do we have to pack in another season

I assume you’re being ironic in you comment about needing a complete rebuild and a complete reset?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Login to get fewer ads

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 13:04 - Dec 2 with 1285 viewsElephantintheRoom

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:03 - Dec 2 by chicoazul

While I agree with this, it’s important to note that almost everything that made one proud to be an Ipswich fan is now gone never to return.

Almost everything? Absolutely everything surely?

Having a bunch of strangers moonlighting on the pitch isnt entirely new, it's par for the course - but having a cabal of jobbing mercenaries as backroom hangars on combined with freeloading execs and some gurning pretend owners in Arizona is surely the worst state this club (or almost any club) has ever been in.

Being a Spiv's part time plaything was embarrassing - being a rootless franchise is surely a lot worse. What makes it even more embarrassing is the apparent glee the discarding and purging of the homegrown players, to be replaced by nonentities which was greeted with by alledged supporters.... who are now throwing their toys out of the pram.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 13:09 - Dec 2 with 1283 viewsFunge

Yep, you're talking b0llocks, again.
You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 13:27 - Dec 2 with 1245 viewsGeomorph

Living here on the Furness Peninsula, I’m not looking forward one bit to Saturday
You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 13:37 - Dec 2 with 1220 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 13:09 - Dec 2 by Funge

Yep, you're talking b0llocks, again.

Rude.

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 13:59 - Dec 2 with 1174 viewsZapers

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:22 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

What did we see Sunday that was repeated last night?

We won on Sunday and created numerous chances.
We lost on penalties last night, in a meaningless cup, after 11 changes. In what way were the two games comparable?

However much I hate seeing us lose, we have to be a little more realistic in my opinion. I seem to remember that both Hurst and Lambert alluded to the fact that there were serious issues with the club that were not being addressed.

Cook has indeed spent money, he ripped the club apart and is in the process of rebuilding it. I'm afraid reality is it takes time. Some players will succeed, others will fail. It will take time to get the right blend.

It's highly likely that should we change managers, results will not necessarily happen anytime soon. I hope Cook is allowed at least another transfer window, if not two.

I know mine is not the popular view, and I am as frustrated as anyone. Managers need time, they all do.
You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 14:46 - Dec 2 with 1117 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 13:59 - Dec 2 by Zapers

However much I hate seeing us lose, we have to be a little more realistic in my opinion. I seem to remember that both Hurst and Lambert alluded to the fact that there were serious issues with the club that were not being addressed.

Cook has indeed spent money, he ripped the club apart and is in the process of rebuilding it. I'm afraid reality is it takes time. Some players will succeed, others will fail. It will take time to get the right blend.

It's highly likely that should we change managers, results will not necessarily happen anytime soon. I hope Cook is allowed at least another transfer window, if not two.

I know mine is not the popular view, and I am as frustrated as anyone. Managers need time, they all do.

I think sensible, patient people like you and me are in a minority on here.

I probably gave Lambert too much time but it doesn't mean giving managers time is inherently the wrong policy. We just happened to have the wrong man. By the time we do get the right man (whether it's Cook or someone else) the fan base will hound him out long before he has the chance to build anything good.

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 14:53 - Dec 2 with 1094 viewsitfcjoe

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:20 - Dec 2 by clive_baker

It's embarrassing enough competing in that competition. I couldn't get remotely excited at the prospect of walking down Wembley way to watch us in a final against a Doncaster in the Pizza cup. Seeing our players posting pre match clips of Wembley on their insta, grinning like a competition winner from Match magazine.

We already showed the competition too much respect. If it's going to include U21 sides then we should've largely fielded ours, doing the absolute bare minimum to meet the requirements IMO.

FA Cup? Absolutely. We need to go strong against Barrow and dispatch of them. Something tells me we'll get Everton at home, either R3 or 4. I'll be having the old Weetabix box and tin foil on the kitchen table before you know it.

I don't like that we are in it, I don't like the competition - but it is an embarrassment to lose to a youth team, especially with the team we put out.

A few months ago our U18s are pushing Liverpool's U18s all the way in the Youth Cup semi, we play Spurs in it in a couple of weeks and hopefully give a good account.......I don't see us as a huge step down on these clubs, but this year we've had pretty decent sides losing at Portman Road to West Ham and now Arsenal's youngsters.

If we were to stick out our U21s and lose, then couldn't give a toss - but this is first team players letting the club down, we just have to be grateful we haven't lost to Norwich U21s I guess

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 16:47 - Dec 2 with 990 viewsChiefXL

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 12:34 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

No we didn't. We had a one-on-one with the keeper at the end, plus several other very presentable chances.

I really don't know what game you watched Sunday but it wasn't ours.
We switched off and let them back into the game.
You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 16:48 - Dec 2 with 990 viewsRadioOrwell

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 09:19 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

It's not proper cup football.

We made 11 changes.

God almighty that is some bootlicking going on there.

That competition ends up at Wembley with a cup. That, at the very least, would be SOMETHING to cheer about.
Those 11 changes are supposed to be challenging for the first team.
You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 16:53 - Dec 2 with 981 viewsRadioOrwell

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 08:54 - Dec 2 by catch74

It’s scary that it wasn’t a surprise, even at 2-0.
Gamechanger will not be enjoying this, when Pack out PR was initiated I imagine it’s aim was to coincide with a good run of games, maybe an appearance in the play off positions and a triumphant welcoming of the new owners to the ground. Could be very sour now. Charlton and Wigan away, no wins, then surely they’ll be wanting to present a new manager at PR, otherwise it’s likely to be quite a moody atmosphere.

Exactly.
2-0 up, half time, not completely confident about winning.

It's draining.

I'm not super confident about Barrow.
I can't believe I just wrote that.
You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 17:29 - Dec 2 with 959 viewsjudespiveyg

I would never feel embarrassed to be an Ipswich fan because that constitutes in my mind taking it all too seriously. It really isn't that deep.

If the team I play for lost every week I might feel embarrassed because that would be in part my fault. Ipswich losing has nothing to do with me or any of us so it would be a bit weird to take on embarrassment from it in my eyes.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

You almost get immune to the constant failure and embarassment of... on 20:38 - Dec 15 with 800 viewsitfcjoe

And another new low coming

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024