Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie 08:32 - Dec 31 with 5199 viewsElderGrizzly

Did you receive that text message offering a booster in the last 7 days? Irrespective of whether you had it or not?

Turns out, that meant the Govt ‘hit’ its target of offering everyone a vaccine by the end of December.

Oh and 40% of appointments are no shows…
Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 08:44 - Dec 31 with 2201 viewsChurchman

I did. And you are right. As ever, empty statements and politics from the Muppets.
Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 08:51 - Dec 31 with 2174 viewsBobsthename

I and my wife both recieved text messages last week offering booster jabs many people have been offered it but we already had ours.
Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:03 - Dec 31 with 2115 viewsxrayspecs

"an extra eight million vaccines had been delivered since the target to offer all eligible over-18s a booster was bought forward" A good achievement, no?

If folk are offered the jab and do not come forward, is that the fault of the government?

Equally, why are they at fault if folk book an appointment and then do not show?

On no shows, if you want to be accurate, The NHS Confederation said...

"encouraging" to see so many people coming forward for a booster jab, but it had heard from some vaccination centres that as many of 40% of booked appointments were resulting in no-shows.
This could be because people had gone to walk-in centres instead, or contracted Covid and could not attend."
[Post edited 31 Dec 2021 9:05]
Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:17 - Dec 31 with 2048 viewsElderGrizzly

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:03 - Dec 31 by xrayspecs

"an extra eight million vaccines had been delivered since the target to offer all eligible over-18s a booster was bought forward" A good achievement, no?

If folk are offered the jab and do not come forward, is that the fault of the government?

Equally, why are they at fault if folk book an appointment and then do not show?

"encouraging" to see so many people coming forward for a booster jab, but it had heard from some vaccination centres that as many of 40% of booked appointments were resulting in no-shows.
This could be because people had gone to walk-in centres instead, or contracted Covid and could not attend."

My point is, mis-using an ‘emergency’ text service to claim everyone has been offered a jab is not a genuine offer. It’s spin/lies, like it was with the testing targets early on.

Ensuring they contact people with a viable appointment date or details of their local walk-in centre is an offer.
Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:22 - Dec 31 with 2035 viewsxrayspecs

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:17 - Dec 31 by ElderGrizzly

My point is, mis-using an ‘emergency’ text service to claim everyone has been offered a jab is not a genuine offer. It’s spin/lies, like it was with the testing targets early on.

Ensuring they contact people with a viable appointment date or details of their local walk-in centre is an offer.

Why is it not a genuine offer? I have had texts/emails offering me first, second and booster jabs. I log onto the NHS site and book a venue/date/time. This is no different.

If they were turning people away through lack of capacity, then I would agree with you.

That does not appear to be the case. The NHS was asked to prioritise jabs over most other forms of healthcare to combat the spread of Omicron and (again) have done a stellar job.

[Post edited 31 Dec 2021 9:23]
Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:22 - Dec 31 with 2029 viewspointofblue

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:03 - Dec 31 by xrayspecs

It wasn’t an invitation though - it was a reminder to get one booked which retained very little information. I don’t mind them not giving out dates and times as that would result in anti-vaxxers blocking up slots which could be used by others, but they could have provided a link to the walk-in centre website so people knew where to go and when.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:26 - Dec 31 with 2016 viewsxrayspecs

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:22 - Dec 31 by pointofblue

It wasn’t an invitation though - it was a reminder to get one booked which retained very little information. I don’t mind them not giving out dates and times as that would result in anti-vaxxers blocking up slots which could be used by others, but they could have provided a link to the walk-in centre website so people knew where to go and when.

I think you are splitting hairs here.

A reminder or an invitation, alongside instructions to the NHS to prioritise Covid jabs and lots of media reminders to get your jabs.

I am not defending this govt who have at times been poor on Covid (vaccines generally being a success btw). On this occasions, I do not agree with the OP.
Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:27 - Dec 31 with 2012 viewslowhouseblue

don't think, if you were trying to be impartial, you could call it a lie.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:32 - Dec 31 with 1983 viewsElderGrizzly

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:27 - Dec 31 by lowhouseblue

So why not send it out immediately, rather than when it was obvious they were going to miss their target?

If they’d said we were going to send a 4 line text, containing no information on where or how to book as the ‘offer’, i’m sure most would have ridiculed it.

Maybe the bar is just set very low now for some
Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:34 - Dec 31 with 1970 viewsTractorWood

Probably not a very credible battle to pick. There is an excellent dashboard that is updated daily giving the precise vaccine figures. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

I'm not sure there is any situation where sending a reminder text is a bad idea for a potentially life saving vaccination/booster.

What do you want the Gov to do about about no shows? Probably isolating or got Covid or transport cancelled.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:35 - Dec 31 with 1961 viewsgtsb1966

At the end of the day most people are having the jabs and we are beginning to realise we have to live with it and are moving on. Long may it continue.
Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:37 - Dec 31 with 1947 viewsWD19

You are playing footballing Top Trumps. You have the Messi card in your hand and for some reason you have just picked 'height' as the category.
Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:39 - Dec 31 with 1937 viewsElderGrizzly

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:35 - Dec 31 by gtsb1966

At the end of the day most people are having the jabs and we are beginning to realise we have to live with it and are moving on. Long may it continue.

I’m not sure the NHS or the virus is ‘moving on’

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:40 - Dec 31 with 1933 viewslowhouseblue

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:32 - Dec 31 by ElderGrizzly

So why not send it out immediately, rather than when it was obvious they were going to miss their target?

If they’d said we were going to send a 4 line text, containing no information on where or how to book as the ‘offer’, i’m sure most would have ridiculed it.

the text is pretty irrelevant. i don't think it can be disputed that every adult has had a genuine opportunity to book a booster and the government has very actively encouraged them to do so. if all that had bene done was to send that text you might have a point. surely, any adult who made an effort to get the booster could have done so?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:42 - Dec 31 with 1926 viewsElderGrizzly

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:37 - Dec 31 by WD19

You are playing footballing Top Trumps. You have the Messi card in your hand and for some reason you have just picked 'height' as the category.

I appreciate there are lots of things we could highlight.

It’s the arrogance of the PM and ministers this morning saying they’ve met it and referencing this as the reason.

To be expected, but just irked me when they are doing feck all else to help keep people safe and protect the health service
Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:43 - Dec 31 with 1914 viewsElderGrizzly

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:40 - Dec 31 by lowhouseblue

the text is pretty irrelevant. i don't think it can be disputed that every adult has had a genuine opportunity to book a booster and the government has very actively encouraged them to do so. if all that had bene done was to send that text you might have a point. surely, any adult who made an effort to get the booster could have done so?

It’s not irrelevant. The PM and ministers are using that this morning as THE reason it has been met.

As I said above, just irked me they are running round claiming success when the Covid situation is running out of control
Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:46 - Dec 31 with 1898 viewsazuremerlangus

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:17 - Dec 31 by ElderGrizzly

The way I understand it that there has been enough capacity (both vaccine and appointment slots) to boost every adult by the end of the year. The text was just a reminder to everyone who owns a mobile phone to get one if not done already - nothing more.

The fact that, for whatever reason, some didn’t take up the offer doesn’t mean the target capacity wasn’t achieved.

This government has got a lot wrong during COVID but the vaccination programme isn’t one of them.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:47 - Dec 31 with 1895 viewsxrayspecs

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:32 - Dec 31 by ElderGrizzly

iIRC Boris announced the new target (to offer vaccination to everyone by end of the year) in a televised national press conference. Since that point, govt, ministers and public figures such as Witty and Vallance have repeatedly told folk to get their booster jab. It has got lots and lots of coverage across all media.

You do not need to wait for a text invite, do you? You can simply go on the NHS site and book an appointment or attend a walk in centre. As millions of people have done.

When you campaign something, you use multiple communications channels to consistently and repeatedly get your message across. These communications are phased over the duration of the campaign. There is nothing in the timing of the text message to support your assertion that it "was obvious they were going to miss their target". There was a package of communications urging people to get their jab, the text message being one element.
Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:48 - Dec 31 with 1886 viewsxrayspecs

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:46 - Dec 31 by azuremerlangus

The way I understand it that there has been enough capacity (both vaccine and appointment slots) to boost every adult by the end of the year. The text was just a reminder to everyone who owns a mobile phone to get one if not done already - nothing more.

The fact that, for whatever reason, some didn’t take up the offer doesn’t mean the target capacity wasn’t achieved.

This government has got a lot wrong during COVID but the vaccination programme isn’t one of them.

Completely agree.
Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:49 - Dec 31 with 1871 viewsGlasgowBlue

Perhaps grizzers only considers an offer of a vaccine to be when Sajid Javid personally knocks on your front door with an appointment card.

And of course 40% of no shows are the government’s fault. They should be offering a ministerial car to collect each individual and drive them to their appointment.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:49 - Dec 31 with 1882 viewsBlueBadger

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:27 - Dec 31 by lowhouseblue

At absolute best, it's a cynically disneguous stretching of the truth for PR purposes at a time when messaging should be clear and unambiguous.

F**k this government, f**k anyone voting for them, f**k anyone defending their dishonesty, incompetence, corruption and open bigotry.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:52 - Dec 31 with 1843 viewsElderGrizzly

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:47 - Dec 31 by xrayspecs

iIRC Boris announced the new target (to offer vaccination to everyone by end of the year) in a televised national press conference. Since that point, govt, ministers and public figures such as Witty and Vallance have repeatedly told folk to get their booster jab. It has got lots and lots of coverage across all media.

You do not need to wait for a text invite, do you? You can simply go on the NHS site and book an appointment or attend a walk in centre. As millions of people have done.

When you campaign something, you use multiple communications channels to consistently and repeatedly get your message across. These communications are phased over the duration of the campaign. There is nothing in the timing of the text message to support your assertion that it "was obvious they were going to miss their target". There was a package of communications urging people to get their jab, the text message being one element.

As I said above, it is the arrogance and focus on this element that was troubling.

I work fairly high up within Central Govt, so very much appreciate how the comms angle works here and the mis-use opportunities it can give them.

I completely agree the vaccine rollout has been a success for an already over stretched NHS and for once the Govt didn’t need to stoop to their old smoke and mirror tricks
Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:52 - Dec 31 with 1830 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Every COVID vaccine I’ve had has been ‘offered’ via text, I’m not sure why you think this is particularly unusual

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:53 - Dec 31 with 1829 viewsElderGrizzly

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:49 - Dec 31 by BlueBadger

At absolute best, it's a cynically disneguous stretching of the truth for PR purposes at a time when messaging should be clear and unambiguous.

F**k this government, f**k anyone voting for them, f**k anyone defending their dishonesty, incompetence, corruption and open bigotry.

Well yes. It was a PR stunt.

GB’s post above is back to normal childish party line whataboutism
Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:55 - Dec 31 with 1820 viewsElderGrizzly

Govt claiming it has hit it’s booster target - another Tory lie on 09:52 - Dec 31 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Every COVID vaccine I’ve had has been ‘offered’ via text, I’m not sure why you think this is particularly unusual

They are completely different.

This was a ‘spam’ text effectively sent to 42 million people.

The booking ones are targeted by your local practice
[Post edited 31 Dec 2021 9:58]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024