Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oxford 1986 11:13 - Jan 28 with 2802 viewsRetroITFC

Anyone there that day?

Oxford 1986 on 11:16 - Jan 28 with 2345 viewsWallingford_Boy

No, but I went to the 4-3 loss at the Manor Ground earlier that season!

RIP Sir Bobby

Oxford 1986 on 11:22 - Jan 28 with 2318 viewsgainsboroughblue

Yep. My first ever pitch invasion!

Everybody was convinced we were safe after that. It was ultimate six pointer.

Arsenal playing Oxford with a virtual reserve team a week after the regular season had ended would never be allowed to happen now.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Oxford 1986 on 11:31 - Jan 28 with 2290 viewswaveneyblue

Yep I was, my first season of going to Portman Road with my mate. I was 13.

As somebody above says, we were convinced we were staying up. Then it was Arsenal Reserves V Oxford after the season ended and down we went, leading to Butcher (my then hero) departing to Rangers.
Oxford 1986 on 12:14 - Jan 28 with 2185 viewsMerthyrblue

Yes I was there. Was also at Upton Park a few days later when we lost 2-1. I can still see Kevin Wilson opening the scoring in front of our fans and great joy ensued. However I can also still see Butch trooping off the pitch at the end head bowed.
Oxford 1986 on 12:20 - Jan 28 with 2154 viewsfarkenhell

Oxford 1986 on 12:14 - Jan 28 by Merthyrblue

Yes I was there. Was also at Upton Park a few days later when we lost 2-1. I can still see Kevin Wilson opening the scoring in front of our fans and great joy ensued. However I can also still see Butch trooping off the pitch at the end head bowed.

You forgot to mention the part played in between by that fkin cheat Mark Ward.
Oxford 1986 on 12:33 - Jan 28 with 2113 viewsMattinLondon

Oxford 1986 on 12:20 - Jan 28 by farkenhell

You forgot to mention the part played in between by that fkin cheat Mark Ward.

What did he do?
Oxford 1986 on 12:34 - Jan 28 with 2109 viewsloftboy

Oxford 1986 on 12:33 - Jan 28 by MattinLondon

What did he do?

I refuse to talk anything about Oxford and 1986
Oxford 1986 on 12:36 - Jan 28 with 2105 viewsRomeo4

Yep, standing on a milk crate in the family enclosure. The place went nuts when Atkins scored!
Login to get fewer ads

Oxford 1986 on 12:47 - Jan 28 with 2089 viewsfarkenhell

Oxford 1986 on 12:33 - Jan 28 by MattinLondon

What did he do?

Dived to win a penalty from which they scored their winner (with about 10 minutes to go from what I recall). He then ruffled Butcher's hair whilst Butch was on the ground. I don't know to this day how Butch stopped himself from getting up and lamping him. He was quite scathing about Ward in his autobiography.
Oxford 1986 on 14:00 - Jan 28 with 1976 viewsBluespeed225

Oxford 1986 on 12:47 - Jan 28 by farkenhell

Dived to win a penalty from which they scored their winner (with about 10 minutes to go from what I recall). He then ruffled Butcher's hair whilst Butch was on the ground. I don't know to this day how Butch stopped himself from getting up and lamping him. He was quite scathing about Ward in his autobiography.

Butcher then destroyed the dressing room ( may have been refs room) door. Lyall calmed the situation and admired his passion. Hated shammers since 75’( though more so Thomas).
Oxford 1986 on 14:05 - Jan 28 with 1957 viewsBluespeed225

On the pitch, players trying to clear it. Dozzell on shoulders at the end. I started in the North, finished the final moments in the Cobbold, then back on again. On the tv footage there a great clip of a copper on the pitch patting Atkins on the back as they wait for the re-start!
Oxford 1986 on 14:12 - Jan 28 with 1934 viewsBlueRaider

Oh yes, great game, what an end, still have the highlights on a VHS somewhere !

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Oxford 1986 on 14:18 - Jan 28 with 1923 viewsRadlett_blue

Oxford 1986 on 11:22 - Jan 28 by gainsboroughblue

Arsenal playing Oxford with a virtual reserve team a week after the regular season had ended would never be allowed to happen now.

The Arsenal team that day was Lukic: Anderson, Adams, O'Leary, Keown, Sansom, Davis, Rix Robson, Nicholas, Woodcock. Not a reserve to be seen. Sadly, Arsenal were on their holidays & got stuffed, but they did not play a weak team.
And as for this "not being allowed now", Man U & Liverpool have both played entire reserve XIs in similar games when they had a European Cup final in the offing. The Premier League have decided that if players are a part of your 25 man squad, any combination is acceptable.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Oxford 1986 on 14:24 - Jan 28 with 1911 viewsSharkey

Brennan would never get away with that tackle today.
Oxford 1986 on 14:33 - Jan 28 with 1893 viewsgainsboroughblue

Oxford 1986 on 14:18 - Jan 28 by Radlett_blue

The Arsenal team that day was Lukic: Anderson, Adams, O'Leary, Keown, Sansom, Davis, Rix Robson, Nicholas, Woodcock. Not a reserve to be seen. Sadly, Arsenal were on their holidays & got stuffed, but they did not play a weak team.
And as for this "not being allowed now", Man U & Liverpool have both played entire reserve XIs in similar games when they had a European Cup final in the offing. The Premier League have decided that if players are a part of your 25 man squad, any combination is acceptable.

Well that's ruined a 36 year old memory. They were definitely on the beach though. And post Heysel, there wouldn't have been any incentives such as league positions to worry.

My point of not happening these days was more about a teams last fixture of a campaign being after everyone else's, especially a side in a relegation battle.

Oxford 1986 on 15:07 - Jan 28 with 1853 viewsEastTownBlue

Oxford 1986 on 14:18 - Jan 28 by Radlett_blue

Remember Bryan Knights reporting from Oxford on Radio Orwell giving us the bad news as the afternoon progressed.
Oxford 1986 on 15:26 - Jan 28 with 1822 viewsbluelagos

When we won 3-2? Remember coming from behind and winning if thats the game.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Oxford 1986 on 16:00 - Jan 28 with 1755 viewsgainsboroughblue

Oxford 1986 on 15:26 - Jan 28 by bluelagos

When we won 3-2? Remember coming from behind and winning if thats the game.

We went behind 1-0 at half-time to a John Aldridge goal. Went 2-1 up (Dozzell and Butcher). They equalised (Phillips I think). Atkins via Wilson's backside in injury time for winner.

Oxford 1986 on 16:32 - Jan 28 with 1705 viewschicoazul

Oxford 1986 on 11:22 - Jan 28 by gainsboroughblue

Never forgive never forget what Arsenal did.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Oxford 1986 on 22:29 - Jan 28 with 1468 viewsbicesterblue4

That goal from Butcher in front of the North Stand, just would not be denied
Oxford 1986 on 22:33 - Jan 28 with 1454 viewsTrumptonBlue

First time I totally lost it at a game, I think.
Oxford 1986 on 23:23 - Jan 28 with 1378 viewsParisBlue

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Oxford 1986 on 23:26 - Jan 28 with 1370 viewswoodbridge_blue

I remember it well. Great atmosphere in the town that night, we really thought we had done enough to survive.

Got totally hammered, somehow made it back to Woodbridge, thought I was safely in bed, decided to go for a final slash of the night only to fall down an entire flight of stairs, landing in a crumpled heap.

My alcoholic state meant I fell quite relaxed so nothing broken, but a mass of bruises and a headache ten times worse than a normal hangover.

Great memories!!
Oxford 1986 on 00:06 - Jan 29 with 1329 viewsrgp1

Yes I remember going on the pitch from west lower. Unfortunately similar to this season we threw away a lot of points from good positions.
Oxford 1986 on 01:58 - Jan 29 with 1272 viewsRetroITFC

Oxford 1986 on 14:12 - Jan 28 by BlueRaider

Oh yes, great game, what an end, still have the highlights on a VHS somewhere !

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024