Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich’s greatest ever performances 07:24 - Mar 14 with 2718 viewsITFC_nostalgia

Recently we featured the win against Sr Etienne, often considered our greatest ever performance.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CasXUHLrom5/?utm_medium=copy_link

Today we feature the 3-1 win at Spurs in 1962, that Ted Phillips regarded as our best performance ever (and who am I to argue?).
https://www.instagram.com/p/CbE1eqNIi5x/?utm_medium=copy_link

Any other nominations? 6-0 at home to Man U in 1980?
Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 07:40 - Mar 14 with 2363 viewsFtnfwest

Everton away 1980 was up there
Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 07:48 - Mar 14 with 2342 viewsFPL_Tractor

Makes me wonder what the greatest performance since I’ve been watching (1987) is. Norwich 5-0? Beating Inter? Arsenal in league cup semi? Pale into insignificance compared to St Etienne and Spurs in 1962 really though.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 07:55 - Mar 14 with 2318 viewsnoggin

FA Cup final. We were underdogs but completely dominated the whole game.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 08:23 - Mar 14 with 2271 viewsGeoffSentence

Coming back from 2-0 down to beat sheffield united 3-2 with man down
The demolition Derby
Beating WBA 7-0

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 08:30 - Mar 14 with 2254 viewsChurchman

I think a key measure of a great performance is the quality of the opposition. In my years of watching since the late 60s, the 6-0 Manchester United performance was the best I personally ever witnessed. Man U finished second that season but that day were seriously lucky to lose only by six.

An honourable mention for me goes to a game a few might remember - Arsenal away in I think early 1977. We won 4-1 and absolutely annihilated them.
Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 08:35 - Mar 14 with 2235 viewsnoggin

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 08:30 - Mar 14 by Churchman

I think a key measure of a great performance is the quality of the opposition. In my years of watching since the late 60s, the 6-0 Manchester United performance was the best I personally ever witnessed. Man U finished second that season but that day were seriously lucky to lose only by six.

An honourable mention for me goes to a game a few might remember - Arsenal away in I think early 1977. We won 4-1 and absolutely annihilated them.

Yes, I vaguely remember that Arsenal game.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 08:43 - Mar 14 with 2208 viewsChurchman

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 08:35 - Mar 14 by noggin

Yes, I vaguely remember that Arsenal game.

Ta for that. I didn’t know there was a recording of it. We were actually in the shin rasping stand on the side this was filmed but nearer the Clock end. The natives were rather restless at the end and this game was one of the reasons I was so confident a year later for the Final a year later. I knew we could beat them.
Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 09:41 - Mar 14 with 2123 viewsBluePG

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 08:23 - Mar 14 by GeoffSentence

Coming back from 2-0 down to beat sheffield united 3-2 with man down
The demolition Derby
Beating WBA 7-0

Fulsomely agree with that win against Sheffield United!

Poll: Best Dane?

Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 09:46 - Mar 14 with 2100 viewsMookamoo

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 08:30 - Mar 14 by Churchman

I would nominate this:

That Villa team were amazing and hardly got sniff all game.

Plus it had the the best goal I have ever seen at Portman Road.
Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 10:07 - Mar 14 with 2054 viewsChurchman

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 09:46 - Mar 14 by Mookamoo

I would nominate this:

Villa didn’t get anything out of the two league games that season either.
Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 10:12 - Mar 14 with 2027 viewsblueislander

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 10:07 - Mar 14 by Churchman

Beating Burnley 6-2, early in the season we won the league is tight up there. Burnley were very much fancied to win the league.
Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 10:45 - Mar 14 with 1964 viewsDyland

I would nominate this:

Sooo good. Frans!

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 13:11 - Mar 14 with 1775 viewsellaandred

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 10:07 - Mar 14 by Churchman

But (sadly) they won the league.
When we beat them 2-1 at Villa Park I thought we would go on to win the league :-(
Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 13:45 - Mar 14 with 1718 viewsfarkenhell

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 13:11 - Mar 14 by ellaandred

But (sadly) they won the league.
When we beat them 2-1 at Villa Park I thought we would go on to win the league :-(

Correction. When we beat them 2-1 at Villa Park, we should have gone on to win the league.
Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 13:55 - Mar 14 with 1682 viewsChurchman

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 13:45 - Mar 14 by farkenhell

Correction. When we beat them 2-1 at Villa Park, we should have gone on to win the league.

Correct on both counts.

One of the best performances of George Burley’s team I saw was the 3-0 beating of Spurs around Xmas 2000. It was played at lunchtime and it was bitterly cold. We tore them a new one that day and they were lucky to get zero. I wasn’t at the demolition of Everton that season which I know was excellent so haven’t counted it!

Lyall’s team? Thrashing champions Leeds at home was special.

McCarthy - beating Middlesbrough 2-0 in 14/15. Our most comprehensive win in many ways of MMs time. I know we hammered Leeds 4-1 a week or two before, but they played for an hour with ten men.
Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 14:35 - Mar 14 with 1610 viewsPendejo

That Manure 6-0, is surely up there, incredibly should have been 8-0. Because a poor start to the season there had been some Robson out chants. If I recall correctly this was in our 23 game unbeaten run that took us from a really low position to 3rd.

In terms of Europe difficult to see beyond St Etienne.(sp?)

Hon mentions
FA Cup Final and SF 78
PO Final 2000
Barca h 78

Or was it Gillingham A 2022

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 10:12 - Mar 15 with 1399 viewsBluespeed225

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 14:35 - Mar 14 by Pendejo

That Manure 6-0, is surely up there, incredibly should have been 8-0. Because a poor start to the season there had been some Robson out chants. If I recall correctly this was in our 23 game unbeaten run that took us from a really low position to 3rd.

In terms of Europe difficult to see beyond St Etienne.(sp?)

Hon mentions
FA Cup Final and SF 78
PO Final 2000
Barca h 78

Or was it Gillingham A 2022

The calendar year of 1980 was the team purring like a thoroughbred. Just it was spread over two seasons!
Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 10:16 - Mar 15 with 1380 viewsBluespeed225

Coventry away in 81’, think it was the Saturday before St. Etienne away. Clinical, efficient, powerful. With Forest away in the Cup the following Saturday, 11 goals scored. We did get a bit of luck at Forest, especially after being 2 up, but after the week they’d had I think they’d earned it!
Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 10:24 - Mar 15 with 1370 viewsBluespeed225

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 13:45 - Mar 14 by farkenhell

How they pulled that one out of the bag I’ll never know. Sadly it seemed the injuries and fatigue started to really take its toll after that game, the sight of Beattie and King Frans in civvies at the Arsenal game, Gates going off after 10 minutes signalling things unraveling a bit. Cologne away was another amazing effort, and for me, Paul Coopers’ best game. Frans didn’t appear again until the Final, and even the away leg was a bit hairy! Magnificent men.
Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 12:49 - Mar 15 with 1240 viewsMetal_Hacker

For me personally , beating the Scum 5-0 that day will be with more for a very long time ,Mathie first half hat-trick

I'm also old enough to have witnessed the 6-0 v United

Those two for me amongst many quality European nights I witnessed

Poll: If it were one or the other

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 12:56 - Mar 15 with 1206 viewsElephantintheRoom

I'd suggest Town's performance against Leeds in the 1974-75 cup was perhaps their greatest perfomance since beating double winning spurs at white hart lane. To go toe to toe with the champions home and away (in front of a record crowd at Portman Rd) and not one, but two neutral venues anf never look like losing was a formidable achevement.

I'd also suggest that beating Real Madrid and Lazio, both chmpions to be in their leagues, at Portman Road were truly astonishing nights.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 13:40 - Mar 15 with 1160 viewsblueislander

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 12:56 - Mar 15 by ElephantintheRoom

I'd suggest Town's performance against Leeds in the 1974-75 cup was perhaps their greatest perfomance since beating double winning spurs at white hart lane. To go toe to toe with the champions home and away (in front of a record crowd at Portman Rd) and not one, but two neutral venues anf never look like losing was a formidable achevement.

I'd also suggest that beating Real Madrid and Lazio, both chmpions to be in their leagues, at Portman Road were truly astonishing nights.

The performance beating Barcelona was better than beating Madrid.
Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 13:45 - Mar 15 with 1155 viewsGeoffSentence

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 13:40 - Mar 15 by blueislander

That must rank as one of the many great phrases that you will never see on WOTB.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 13:57 - Mar 15 with 1122 viewsleitrimblue

Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 13:40 - Mar 15 by blueislander

That is the most beautiful sentence
Ipswich’s greatest ever performances on 15:58 - Mar 15 with 1016 viewsjontysnut

I would nominate this:

I was in the middle of the North when that goal went in. About 10 seconds later I was in danger of going over the wall!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024