Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway 21:56 - Mar 22 with 5677 viewsBondiBlue

Sorry if this has been covered in joe's thread.

Can we put this one to bed now? Phil said the same a while back - said it was the same with gibbs.

We're going to miss out on the playoffs this year having given none of the all-conquering u23s a chance. I can handle missing out on the playoffs if we're building for next season. I can handle giving none of the 23s a chance if we're top of the league.

Poll: Which would you accept?

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 09:40 - Mar 23 with 1413 viewsWallingford_Boy

Maybe, just maybe Simpson isn't good enough.

Swindon fans were far from convinced and that was a league below.

He has 4/5 strikers ahead of him and rightly so.

RIP Sir Bobby

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 10:00 - Mar 23 with 1373 viewsbenrhyddingblue

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 07:01 - Mar 23 by tractorboy1978

I'm sure in the summer we will see Humphreys, Ndaba, Simpson and possibly a couple of others given a proper chance to impress/stake a claim in pre-season. Realistically, if you can integrate two players from your academy into the first team each season you are doing pretty well.

The bar has been raised since GC20 came in. Ultimately the aim is to get two promotions as quickly as possible and we are financially backed enough to do so. When you are bringing Championship players like Morsy, Celina, Chaplin, Aluko, Edmundson into a L1 team, the level our academy lads need to hit to get given a chance goes up a notch.

Bailey Clements is a perfect example - he got given a real chance this season and unfortunately looked a fish out of water.

Couldn't agree more. Nice to read a well reasoned post on this subject for a change.
KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 10:09 - Mar 23 with 1370 viewsitfcjoe

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 09:19 - Mar 23 by Cuffy81

Piggott has a proven goal scoring record in league one over a number of seasons which suggests he worth persisting with.. as opposed to Simpson who had 3 good months in league two.

Pigott has scored 1 penalty in 20 games for us in the league, and claimed an own goal back in August. Also provided zero assists.

At what point do we need to stop persisting with him?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 10:25 - Mar 23 with 1343 viewsabracaDOBRA_

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 10:09 - Mar 23 by itfcjoe

Pigott has scored 1 penalty in 20 games for us in the league, and claimed an own goal back in August. Also provided zero assists.

At what point do we need to stop persisting with him?

Scored in the EFL trophy at Gillingham too
KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 10:46 - Mar 23 with 1315 viewsitfcjoe

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 10:25 - Mar 23 by abracaDOBRA_

Scored in the EFL trophy at Gillingham too

I did say in the league.....

I hadn't quite appreciated how bad his record was this season - he's got as many open play goal contributions as Christian Walton and Vaclav Hladky this season

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 10:58 - Mar 23 with 1306 viewsabracaDOBRA_

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 10:46 - Mar 23 by itfcjoe

I hadn't quite appreciated how bad his record was this season - he's got as many open play goal contributions as Christian Walton and Vaclav Hladky this season

When you put it like that... shame it hasnt worked out as was really excited with the signing. Wonder what we do with him, wouldn't surprise to see a loan
KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 11:10 - Mar 23 with 1297 viewshype313

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 10:46 - Mar 23 by itfcjoe

And if you look at his scoring record before last season it doesn't make good reading.

We essentially bought him off the back of one good season.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 11:17 - Mar 23 with 1276 viewsitfcjoe

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 11:10 - Mar 23 by hype313

And if you look at his scoring record before last season it doesn't make good reading.

We essentially bought him off the back of one good season.

I don't think that is quite fair - bar 19/20 he's been fairly consistent at around 0.40-0.50 goals per 90 minutes

Overall he has 82 goals in the equivalent of 224 games minutes wise

Login to get fewer ads

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 11:21 - Mar 23 with 1256 viewsgordon

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 10:00 - Mar 23 by benrhyddingblue

Couldn't agree more. Nice to read a well reasoned post on this subject for a change.

Not sure I really understand how Bailey Clement's performances are relevant to whether Humphreys or Simpson should get a game? Do you think that Pigott's performances this season mean we shouldn't pick 28 year-olds?

And he didn't look a fish out of water, he just didn't quite look good enough yet at this level.
KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 11:38 - Mar 23 with 1234 viewstractorboy1978

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 11:21 - Mar 23 by gordon

Not sure I really understand how Bailey Clement's performances are relevant to whether Humphreys or Simpson should get a game? Do you think that Pigott's performances this season mean we shouldn't pick 28 year-olds?

And he didn't look a fish out of water, he just didn't quite look good enough yet at this level.

Clements was well off the standard of Thompson (who seems to be a lot of people's scapegoat), Coulson and even Penney. He's now 21 and with respect, not even getting a game in L2 for Stevenage.

My point is that these young players have to be at a pretty high standard to be displacing Championship quality players and experienced pros in a play off push. Perhaps McKenna/Ashton know what they are doing? They've earned the right to be trusted since they've been in. Both have a background in developing young players. Trust the process.

Should Simpson be getting minutes ahead of Pigott? Maybe but it's not a sign of a fundamental problem with our youth development strategy. He's injured at the moment anyway.

Humphreys is the real deal and is really rated but he's only just turned 18, he will get his chance.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 11:39]
KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 11:45 - Mar 23 with 1211 viewsitfcjoe

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 11:38 - Mar 23 by tractorboy1978

Clements was well off the standard of Thompson (who seems to be a lot of people's scapegoat), Coulson and even Penney. He's now 21 and with respect, not even getting a game in L2 for Stevenage.

My point is that these young players have to be at a pretty high standard to be displacing Championship quality players and experienced pros in a play off push. Perhaps McKenna/Ashton know what they are doing? They've earned the right to be trusted since they've been in. Both have a background in developing young players. Trust the process.

Should Simpson be getting minutes ahead of Pigott? Maybe but it's not a sign of a fundamental problem with our youth development strategy. He's injured at the moment anyway.

Humphreys is the real deal and is really rated but he's only just turned 18, he will get his chance.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 11:39]

I think holding Clements up as an example is strange, he's not someone that anyone has called for and only got games because Cook had binned off Matt Penney. He was hardly knocking the door down in the U23s for a chance and he did ok.

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 12:09 - Mar 23 with 1175 viewsOldTimer2

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 11:45 - Mar 23 by itfcjoe

I think holding Clements up as an example is strange, he's not someone that anyone has called for and only got games because Cook had binned off Matt Penney. He was hardly knocking the door down in the U23s for a chance and he did ok.

And if Kenlock had been in the squad rather than Nolan then Clements would not have played

Bobby Robson - thank you

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 12:38 - Mar 23 with 1142 viewsBondiBlue

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 09:40 - Mar 23 by Wallingford_Boy

Maybe he's not but if we don't play him we'll never know. And what we know about pigott and bonne is their confidence is in bits. Not sure what's going on with norwood but he's looked very poor in his last few games as well. Jackson was starting to look bright but now he's out for the season.

If not now for simpson, when?

And i'll say the same for el mizouni - if not now, when? Carroll can't do 90 mins, evans is injured, bakinson is very inconsistent and morsy's too injured to start.

The point that KD was making which seems to have been missed by many on here is that players surprise you when they are given a proper chance. Simpson scored 2 for the reserves last season then went and scored 12 before chrostmas in men's football. Not sure where you're hearing that swindon fans weren't convinced because i thought they were saying his improvement has been mind-blowing.

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 12:41 - Mar 23 with 1135 viewshype313

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 11:17 - Mar 23 by itfcjoe

I don't think that is quite fair - bar 19/20 he's been fairly consistent at around 0.40-0.50 goals per 90 minutes

Overall he has 82 goals in the equivalent of 224 games minutes wise

But most of those were in leagues below.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 12:44 - Mar 23 with 1130 viewsDyland

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 12:38 - Mar 23 by BondiBlue

Maybe he's not but if we don't play him we'll never know. And what we know about pigott and bonne is their confidence is in bits. Not sure what's going on with norwood but he's looked very poor in his last few games as well. Jackson was starting to look bright but now he's out for the season.

And i'll say the same for el mizouni - if not now, when? Carroll can't do 90 mins, evans is injured, bakinson is very inconsistent and morsy's too injured to start.

The point that KD was making which seems to have been missed by many on here is that players surprise you when they are given a proper chance. Simpson scored 2 for the reserves last season then went and scored 12 before chrostmas in men's football. Not sure where you're hearing that swindon fans weren't convinced because i thought they were saying his improvement has been mind-blowing.

Possibly a semantic disagreement, but Bakinson isn't 'inconsistent'. He gives the ball away a little too often, but if he never gave the ball away playoing quickly and in the tight spaces he works in he'd be a regular starter in a decent Chumps team. He's doing pretty well considering they're all still developing understandings with each other. The way we play is technically very good for this league, so faffing it up once in a while is to be expected non?

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 12:50 - Mar 23 with 1118 viewsDyland

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 23:44 - Mar 22 by FrimleyBlue

I do enjoy a bit of speculation, why not, a forums a great place to see what people think about certain things when things are open to interpretation or like KD news yesterday 0 reason given for leaving, So absolutely discuss it if you want to or not if you don't.

However, your reply has nothing to do with my post that you've replied to. I've shared a view on how easy it could have been handled which would have lead to 0 speculation, 0 negative thoughts.

How or why that brings up my personal joy of speculation is bizarre. Unless you found yourself agreeing with me but not wanting to admit it ;)

One of the most active message board speculators suggesting the club and media should act in ways that means we don't speculate, whilst saying what a good forum this is for speculating.

:)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 12:52 - Mar 23 with 1111 viewsRadlett_blue

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 09:19 - Mar 23 by Cuffy81

Piggott has a proven goal scoring record in league one over a number of seasons which suggests he worth persisting with.. as opposed to Simpson who had 3 good months in league two.

Pigott had an exceptional time last season, but the rest of his record is very average. It's hard to see what he offers from his showing at Town. I'm sure McKenna will be wondering if he wants him at the club next season. Simpson must be worth a chance soon.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 13:00 - Mar 23 with 1095 viewsitfc_bucks

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 09:23 - Mar 23 by ghostofescobar

There has been something fundamentally "broken" with our youth system for a couple of decades. We have produced very good kids, performing well at youth and U23 levels, but very few who have gone onto properly make it in the game. The issue isn't not getting chances in our first team (of course there will be occasional blockers: Lambert), it's that the players aren't ready, good enough, mentally prepared, whatever the reason is. If they were, they would make it elsewhere. Ipswich aren't the only club in the land with a first team. As KM has spent much of his career working with youth players, I would hope he will improve the situation.

I was discussing this very issue with a parent at my local JPL club, just last week. For that reason alone, I wouldn't be keen for my son to join the Town academy at this time (should the opportunity arise).

I suspect a number of other clubs are more suited to a young players' progression at this time than Town.
KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 13:08 - Mar 23 with 1067 viewsgordon

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 13:00 - Mar 23 by itfc_bucks

I was discussing this very issue with a parent at my local JPL club, just last week. For that reason alone, I wouldn't be keen for my son to join the Town academy at this time (should the opportunity arise).

I suspect a number of other clubs are more suited to a young players' progression at this time than Town.

I always think that with 7 subs allowed, putting two younger players on the bench every match still gives you four senior outfield players.

If it's a tight game, you don't necessarily put the young players on, but if you're 3-0 up at 70 minutes, bring on the young players. The cost in terms of less options from the bench is very small (4 should be enough anyway), and the gain in terms of encouraging younger players at the club, giving people a sense of involvement and something to aim for would be really valuable.

Think there have been times this season and last season where we've been playing one striker, and had three senior striker options on the bench.

Then if they are actually needed, they're more prepared, less overawed etc. At the moment, if we get an injury to Woolfenden on Friday, then Baggott presumably gets thrown in for his first league appearance - but he could easily have made two or three sub appearances in the league this season with limited risk.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 13:11]
KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 13:12 - Mar 23 with 1046 viewsgordon

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 09:40 - Mar 23 by Wallingford_Boy

Of course he might not be good enough, but there's quite a lot of evidence now that Pigott isn't good enough, but that doesn't seem to be any bar to him getting selected.
KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 13:16 - Mar 23 with 1030 viewsjayessess

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 12:38 - Mar 23 by BondiBlue

You can't run a football club non the basis of "if we don't play him we'll never know". You can't give every player that comes through your club game time to find out, you have to make judgement calls about whether they're good enough and what's best for their development.

The challenge for the club isn't to just replace senior players with juniors and cross our fingers that the kids are better. It's to identify long term potential and plan our squad building around it, so we can develop that over the longer term.

Simpson's 20 and has played 27 games in league and cup this season. El Mizouni is 21 and has played 52 games in league and cup, despite 2 longish injuries. These are not players being starved of development opportunities. These are players getting games, who we hope at some point will be so good that they displace older players on merit.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 13:21]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 13:33 - Mar 23 with 988 viewsNthQldITFC

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 13:08 - Mar 23 by gordon

I always think that with 7 subs allowed, putting two younger players on the bench every match still gives you four senior outfield players.

If it's a tight game, you don't necessarily put the young players on, but if you're 3-0 up at 70 minutes, bring on the young players. The cost in terms of less options from the bench is very small (4 should be enough anyway), and the gain in terms of encouraging younger players at the club, giving people a sense of involvement and something to aim for would be really valuable.

Think there have been times this season and last season where we've been playing one striker, and had three senior striker options on the bench.

Then if they are actually needed, they're more prepared, less overawed etc. At the moment, if we get an injury to Woolfenden on Friday, then Baggott presumably gets thrown in for his first league appearance - but he could easily have made two or three sub appearances in the league this season with limited risk.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 13:11]

I certainly think there are periods in a season where you can do that, but if you're at a do or die time points-wise, and you had repeat injuries within one game in any position, you'd be kicking yourself if you didn't have experienced backup x2. But earlier in the season, or later, if all hope has gone, then load the bench with players for experience.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 16:50 - Mar 23 with 904 viewsBseaBlue

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 09:13 - Mar 23 by itfcjoe

Exactly - realise that the clubs PR machine is able to spin a message against a player to pressure them.

Remember how many times in the past we hear stories about players being forced out of clubs.

Remember that the players, especially when they are young boys, are just humans like everyone else

This is a very valuable point. One of the main things I took out of Kieron's book was the 'other side' of why agents are required. I had always thought of them as the enemy of the game but it was interesting to hear how Burley/Sheepshanks wanted to treat KD without the guidance of representation.
KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 19:20 - Mar 23 with 848 viewsBondiBlue

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 13:16 - Mar 23 by jayessess

You can't run a football club non the basis of "if we don't play him we'll never know". You can't give every player that comes through your club game time to find out, you have to make judgement calls about whether they're good enough and what's best for their development.

The challenge for the club isn't to just replace senior players with juniors and cross our fingers that the kids are better. It's to identify long term potential and plan our squad building around it, so we can develop that over the longer term.

Simpson's 20 and has played 27 games in league and cup this season. El Mizouni is 21 and has played 52 games in league and cup, despite 2 longish injuries. These are not players being starved of development opportunities. These are players getting games, who we hope at some point will be so good that they displace older players on merit.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 13:21]

27 games in league and cup this season and 12 goals. I don't think we'd have to cross our fingers that he's going to be better than pigott.

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 20:24 - Mar 23 with 810 viewsjayessess

KD: Simpson just wants to see a pathway on 13:00 - Mar 23 by itfc_bucks

Not sure what you mean here - in terms of the cohort now turning 22/23 we've had a relatively productive few years at the academy.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024