Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has everyone calmed down now? 07:44 - Apr 4 with 7002 viewsSteve_M

We weren't very good on Saturday, both individually and collectively and Cambridge played very well. I'm not sure it really told us anything that we don't already know: chiefly that our strikers aren't playing well enough and we need to do more from set pieces.

We don't need big changes to our approach, we don't need to be hoofing the ball to two big forwards to compete in this division but we do need to play better against teams who play their game plan well and are good at sh1thousing. Having seen us totally dominate Oxford and largely dominate Portsmouth despite the amount of sh1thousing those two did it's far more about us playing well than not being able to cope with it.

Shame this season is done now, would have liked to keep it going until Easter at least but 2022-23 should finally be the year we get it right.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Has everyone calmed down now? on 07:52 - Apr 4 with 3661 viewsDJR

I think this is spot on, although I don't think it is just an issue with the strikers because we don't actually create that many chances for the strikers. But I am sure Kieran knows what the issues are, and with a few new players and more practice over the summer, next season looks very promising.
Has everyone calmed down now? on 08:07 - Apr 4 with 3595 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I predict many teams now allowing us to have the ball in our own half and defending from the half way line. They executed it very well.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Has everyone calmed down now? on 08:11 - Apr 4 with 3569 viewsWickhamsLeftBoot

Need to also work on retaining the ball straight from kick off rather than hoof it up.
Has everyone calmed down now? on 08:30 - Apr 4 with 3500 viewstractorboy1978

Agree with all that.

I think the key next season is going to be getting out of the blocks quickly, particularly at home. We've let too many games drift - you've got to have your foot on the gas from the the first minute and be more ruthless. Once you give teams a foothold and something to hold onto it becomes very tough when they have 10 men behind the ball. We don't need the perfect goal, just a goal will do.
Has everyone calmed down now? on 08:42 - Apr 4 with 3470 viewsitfcjoe

There is a huge overreaction every time we drop points now - if only the same scrutiny was being applied this time last year and early in the season

We are a very good side, but need a bit more of the right type of players in a couple of key positions and sometimes that will hurt us. We weren't particularly poor on Saturday, just up against a side who were well organised and able to hurt us at times

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Has everyone calmed down now? on 08:43 - Apr 4 with 3454 viewshomer_123

As I posted on the day:

Well played Cambridge. by homer_123 2 Apr 2022 18:19
Better than us all over the pitch today.

We were very sloppy with possession from the outset and it never really got any better.

We were too slow and pedestrian with the ball today but in no small part due to Cambridge denying us time and space. They kept their shape and I thought they actually looked more threatening and likely to score than us today.

We weren't at the races.

In a way...a learning opportunity for KM...not great timing but he got to see us as we have been for a while now and what one or two players levels probably are.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Has everyone calmed down now? on 08:52 - Apr 4 with 3417 viewsChurchman

Agree with this, though like most I was pretty philosophical if disappointed about it.

Thinking about it, we actually did well to prolong the season to the end of April, when it looked irretrievably over in December. Actually, we looked in serious bother earlier than that when the speculation was all about whether Cook should be given until the end of October.

Sort out the forward line, set piece delivery and execution and we will be outstanding next season. We are close and I’d hate to see this team’s approach change.

It is in the nature of football for there to be departures and arrivals, but I hope the substance of the team is kept intact.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2022 8:58]
Has everyone calmed down now? on 08:56 - Apr 4 with 3393 viewshype313

You say everyone, from what I could see, it was one certain poster who threw the baby out with the bathwater, as usual....

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:02 - Apr 4 with 3346 viewsFtnfwest

Agree with all that sir and content with the fact that our form since December would have had us comfortably in the lay offs if not promoted over a whole season. Need to improve in a few areas but exciting as last summer was i'm glad that won't be anything like as broadbrush this time.
I'm also hoping the players and management aren't giving up on this until its mathematically impossible as well. Need a strong finish in any event to take into next season. I feel like we're capable of beating anyone in this division on our day now which i wasn't before, and a team like that always has a chance while there's a chance.
Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:09 - Apr 4 with 3317 viewstextbackup

i never feel that we'll get a goal from our strikers, whoever is playing, and that stems back to maybe December time.
Burns summed it up with the perfect goal quote.

if anything we are too tidy, in terms of what we need to change that i dont know, a big strong ugly striker to mix it up a bit (billy sharpe for example)

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:10 - Apr 4 with 3293 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:09 - Apr 4 by textbackup

i never feel that we'll get a goal from our strikers, whoever is playing, and that stems back to maybe December time.
Burns summed it up with the perfect goal quote.

if anything we are too tidy, in terms of what we need to change that i dont know, a big strong ugly striker to mix it up a bit (billy sharpe for example)

I think we'll go for a veteran striker, seen a few people say shane long, think we just need someone experienced
Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:16 - Apr 4 with 3243 viewsChurchman

Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:10 - Apr 4 by abracaDOBRA_

I think we'll go for a veteran striker, seen a few people say shane long, think we just need someone experienced

Shane Long and Billy Sharpe, combined age 71. A massive no from me. Old has-beens looking for pension contributions seem completely at odds with the type of player the club are after - young, fit and hungry.

I think an Ivan Toney style player is what we need. Mobile and physical with an eye for goal. Whether we can find one is another matter.
Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:19 - Apr 4 with 3221 viewstextbackup

yep, someone to pull L1 defenders left right and centre

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:19 - Apr 4 with 3221 viewsNthQldITFC

Has everyone calmed down now? on 08:07 - Apr 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

I predict many teams now allowing us to have the ball in our own half and defending from the half way line. They executed it very well.

I think the inclusion of Carroll yesterday was designed with exactly that in mind - expecting him to orchestrate sustained attacks from around the centre circle, on the back of us having a lot of high possession. Obviously it didn't work.

McKenna has done brilliantly at bringing out a fluid, confident style of play way beyond the ability of most other teams in this division to emulate or even cope with. He's done this in an extraordinarily short period of time, and presumably spent the majority of his limited coaching time doing it.

What we have now (bar a couple of effective strikers) is a team capable of playing at least at the middle of the second division. But we'll need to add an effective mode of play against ultra-defensive opponents next season (probably) in order to get out of the third division. An effective Carroll-type player (not sure if that's Lee Evans or not) in the middle and strong, effective strikers is probably the answer.

I have every faith he'll find that alternative mode and a way to blend it in with the way we play now that doesn't have a negative impact on the progressions he's already made.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:20 - Apr 4 with 3223 viewsJ2BLUE

The reaction to Saturday from some people was amazing. Some people change their entire outlook on one game and then try and rewrite history to fit.

The future is bright.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:30 - Apr 4 with 3163 viewsDubtractor

Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:20 - Apr 4 by J2BLUE

The reaction to Saturday from some people was amazing. Some people change their entire outlook on one game and then try and rewrite history to fit.

The future is bright.

For the avoidance of doubt, my post in Saturday was a post match grumble at the sh1tness of our immediate situation. I'm hugely optimistic for next season, but that doesn't dim my annoyance at another season in 9th place.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:30 - Apr 4 with 3153 viewstractorboy1978

The Shane Long from his Reading days is exactly the type of striker we need. But not aged 35 and his legs have started to go.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2022 9:31]
Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:33 - Apr 4 with 3123 viewsGuthrum

Has everyone calmed down now? on 08:42 - Apr 4 by itfcjoe

There is a huge overreaction every time we drop points now - if only the same scrutiny was being applied this time last year and early in the season

We are a very good side, but need a bit more of the right type of players in a couple of key positions and sometimes that will hurt us. We weren't particularly poor on Saturday, just up against a side who were well organised and able to hurt us at times

People had bought into the idea that we could actually pull off what would, frankly, have been a miracle in making it to the play-offs. Doubly so given the form of those teams already in the top positions.

Thus each setback is both magnified and overanalysed, with extra blame being laid upon players for fairly ordinary mistakes or off-days.

Whereas, in reality - and from where the team was in late November, losing weakly to Barrow - Town have put on a magnificent effort to keep pace with the best in the division.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:35 - Apr 4 with 3062 viewsJ2BLUE

Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:30 - Apr 4 by Dubtractor

For the avoidance of doubt, my post in Saturday was a post match grumble at the sh1tness of our immediate situation. I'm hugely optimistic for next season, but that doesn't dim my annoyance at another season in 9th place.

Didn't mean you. I'm talking about the people who had basically put us down as runaway champions for next season who suddenly changed to we're a small club in 9th and that's what we deserve BS.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:42 - Apr 4 with 3020 viewshype313

Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:30 - Apr 4 by Dubtractor

Bet wetter...Jokes aside, I was with you, it was just more frustration than anything else, sun was shining, good crowd, good week from a PR point of view and it ended up just being quite flat.

It's fine for players to have an off day, but the trouble with Saturday was quite a few had an off day and when that happens it's hard for a small minority to carry the rest. And to be fair, they have all been excellent over the past few months, add in a very solid, well organised Cambridge side, you could see from the outset it was going to be a frustrating day.

Think most of us knew deep down that the PO's were a bit of a pipe dream beforehand, but it's always nice to dream.

At least this now gives McKenna the chance to have a look at the squad and give him plenty of time to plan for our assaults next season.

Chatted to a mate after the game on Saturday and wondered if that was the last time we would see Norwood, Carroll and potentially Thompson in a town shirt.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:50 - Apr 4 with 2976 viewsBiGDonnie

Great post.

Absolutely pathetic on here since Saturdays result.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:54 - Apr 4 with 2957 viewsDanTheMan

Has everyone calmed down now? on 09:50 - Apr 4 by BiGDonnie

Great post.

Absolutely pathetic on here since Saturdays result.

Was disappointed with the result but logged on to see everyone incredibly despondent which I thought was a little odd given our results recently.

That said at this point I just want the season to end so that we KM can get a proper run at something without having to go on a miracle run for a chance at the playoffs. Hope this new recruitment guy is going to hit the ground running!

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Has everyone calmed down now? on 10:14 - Apr 4 with 2817 viewsFrimleyBlue

Most have been calm tbh, some random posts about the size of the club, but in general people just asking questions about the side and what can be done to it to make it a promotion ready team next season. Some posters have asked questions of KM's time here so far and suggested some things, but probably no different to what KM will be asking of himself tbh.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Has everyone calmed down now? on 10:18 - Apr 4 with 2783 viewsBiGDonnie

Has everyone calmed down now? on 10:14 - Apr 4 by FrimleyBlue

Most have been calm tbh, some random posts about the size of the club, but in general people just asking questions about the side and what can be done to it to make it a promotion ready team next season. Some posters have asked questions of KM's time here so far and suggested some things, but probably no different to what KM will be asking of himself tbh.

Here's the clown right on time...

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Has everyone calmed down now? on 10:19 - Apr 4 with 2758 viewsFrimleyBlue

Has everyone calmed down now? on 10:18 - Apr 4 by BiGDonnie

Here's the clown right on time...

You're not a clown Donnie, bit of a stalker but not a clown.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024