Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) 11:19 - Apr 19 with 2897 viewstractorboy1978

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:17 - Apr 19 with 626 viewspointofblue

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:15 - Apr 19 by textbackup

in the same breathe he isnt the saviour you make him out to be.

he isnt very good, but runs about bashing people up.

not one i want to see here next season, thats not my choice however, if he is then i'd feel a little annoyed

In all likelihood we’ll change our whole front line next season. We should do. For this season Norwood is probably the most impactful striker who’s fit at the moment, which says it all.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:19 - Apr 19 with 623 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:15 - Apr 19 by textbackup

not one i want to see here next season, thats not my choice however, if he is then i'd feel a little annoyed

Where did anyone (let alone me) say he is a saviour?

I said he is the best option we currently have, will be decent at this level for whoever he plays for next season and would be OK as an option for us. I also said (in another thread some days ago) that we need better. That is not a description of a saviour for me.

You made up the needing countless chances to score one goal. Why do you need to make up stuff about him?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:19 - Apr 19 with 623 viewsGarv

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 11:57 - Apr 19 by OriginalMarkyP

Personally, I think Norwood (of all the strikers we have) is actually quite likely to be here next season.

I don't think he'll be top man, that will be someone who gets brought in.

But McKenna likes him and his workrate. He will be used as an impact sub and a change up when we need some muscle.

You can't just play Rolls Royces all the time in this division. The more aggressive teams will over power you. You need a stock car or two for when the battle is on.

Norwood is there to do the ugly things others can't. And he will always give you a fair return of goals.

Also he's street smart. For all the 'head's gone' comments he gets he's only been booked 5 times this season and yet is one of our most physical players.

Sam Morsy has had 14 yellows for us.

Now you could say that's luck Norwood hasn't been booked more. But look at his record. 6 yellows last season. 6 yellows the season before that. No reds.

At this level he is a useful asset to have. Goals, aggression and the dark arts. All the teams that get out of this divison have a 'Norwood' somewhere in their squad.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2022 11:58]

The stuff about losing his head is laughable. It's so tactical when he does it it's painfully obvious. It's a bit cringeworthy sometimes, but he does it for a reason.

Noticeable also that he was the only player that went to defend Morsy when he was surrounded by Shrews players wanting him sent off the other week.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:20 - Apr 19 with 607 viewswkj

He's always felt like a poor man's Joe Garner.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:20 - Apr 19 with 606 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:19 - Apr 19 by Garv

The stuff about losing his head is laughable. It's so tactical when he does it it's painfully obvious. It's a bit cringeworthy sometimes, but he does it for a reason.

Noticeable also that he was the only player that went to defend Morsy when he was surrounded by Shrews players wanting him sent off the other week.

You mean, Norwood is exactly the sort of player to deal with what Rotherham do and what some are saying we should better at ourselves?!

I agree, by the way.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:27 - Apr 19 with 584 viewsjayessess

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 11:57 - Apr 19 by OriginalMarkyP

Personally, I think Norwood (of all the strikers we have) is actually quite likely to be here next season.

But McKenna likes him and his workrate. He will be used as an impact sub and a change up when we need some muscle.

You can't just play Rolls Royces all the time in this division. The more aggressive teams will over power you. You need a stock car or two for when the battle is on.

Norwood is there to do the ugly things others can't. And he will always give you a fair return of goals.

Also he's street smart. For all the 'head's gone' comments he gets he's only been booked 5 times this season and yet is one of our most physical players.

Now you could say that's luck Norwood hasn't been booked more. But look at his record. 6 yellows last season. 6 yellows the season before that. No reds.

At this level he is a useful asset to have. Goals, aggression and the dark arts. All the teams that get out of this divison have a 'Norwood' somewhere in their squad.

It seems to be received wisdom, but I don't think the idea that Norwood is a "muscle" striker stands much scrutiny.

He doesn't win a lot of aerial battles, he doesn't make many tackles, he's not often holding the ball up and bringing people into play. If he were that kind of striker surely we'd see him at his best in games like our 2nd half on Saturday? Games where we've gone direct to relieve pressure, you'd hope to see him battling, holding the ball up, pressing centre backs into mistakes, buying fouls etc. Yes he was isolated, yes he got no service, but isn't that exactly the situation you have your "muscle striker" for?

Stats have Bonne as our most combative striker. He wins the most aerial duels (3 times as many as Norwood!), he has the most touches/makes the most passes, they make the same number of tackles, Bonne even edges it for fouls!

Norwood's most useful ability is his off the ball movement. He's good at finding space and timing a run. It's why he finds himself on the end of more of our attacking moves than Bonne, Pigott or Jackson do, even if he isn't a terribly assured finisher. It's only his on-pitch demeanour that has him pegged as a bruiser.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2022 12:33]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:36 - Apr 19 with 566 viewstractorboy1978

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:27 - Apr 19 by jayessess

It seems to be received wisdom, but I don't think the idea that Norwood is a "muscle" striker stands much scrutiny.

He doesn't win a lot of aerial battles, he doesn't make many tackles, he's not often holding the ball up and bringing people into play. If he were that kind of striker surely we'd see him at his best in games like our 2nd half on Saturday? Games where we've gone direct to relieve pressure, you'd hope to see him battling, holding the ball up, pressing centre backs into mistakes, buying fouls etc. Yes he was isolated, yes he got no service, but isn't that exactly the situation you have your "muscle striker" for?

Stats have Bonne as our most combative striker. He wins the most aerial duels (3 times as many as Norwood!), he has the most touches/makes the most passes, they make the same number of tackles, Bonne even edges it for fouls!

Norwood's most useful ability is his off the ball movement. He's good at finding space and timing a run. It's why he finds himself on the end of more of our attacking moves than Bonne, Pigott or Jackson do, even if he isn't a terribly assured finisher. It's only his on-pitch demeanour that has him pegged as a bruiser.

Bonne is a far superior centre forward and his demise has been tragic to witness. I've never seen a player have such a Jekyll and Hyde season.
Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:36 - Apr 19 with 570 viewsitfcjoe

In the league this season

James Norwood - 5 yellows - 951 minutes - booked every 190 minutes
Sam Morsy - 10 yellows - 2,654 minutes - booked every 265 minutes.

Hardly street smart when your Centre Forward gets booked 50% more than your combative midfielder who is basically a walking yellow card

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:37 - Apr 19 with 559 viewsSitfcB

Should give Simpson a start.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:38 - Apr 19 with 555 viewswkj

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:37 - Apr 19 by SitfcB

Should give Simpson a start.

I bet you we'd have seen Simpson on a team sheet or two by now if he was looking likely to sign a deal. I am not convinced that is going to happen.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:39 - Apr 19 with 558 viewsitfcjoe

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:27 - Apr 19 by jayessess

Norwood is currently playing, as per McKenna, because he is the most like Jackson - i.e. he makes runs in behind and into the channels and stretches defences.

Not because he is a big physical striker etc, it's because he is our fastest available and drags defenders about - if McK wanted a big physical striker then Bonne would be playing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:42 - Apr 19 with 547 viewsjayessess

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:36 - Apr 19 by tractorboy1978

Bonne is a far superior centre forward and his demise has been tragic to witness. I've never seen a player have such a Jekyll and Hyde season.

I'm inclined to agree and personally think it's a shame we didn't at least try and build on his excellent performance at Oxford with another start. Norwood was good against Plymouth, but if we could've got Bonne firing again, he's another level.

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 13:05 - Apr 19 with 514 viewsLeoMuff

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 11:33 - Apr 19 by tractorboy1978

I'd start Simpson. The fact he wasn't even on the bench on Saturday suggests that is unlikely though.

I would be amazed if Simpson started, he hasn’t even made the bench as far as I’m aware since he came back, so he is either not better than Pigs, Norwood and Bonne in training or won’t play until his contract is sorted.

Either way it’s bench at best I would think.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 13:12 - Apr 19 with 505 viewsLeoMuff

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 11:55 - Apr 19 by textbackup

wouldnt expect from norwood? i genuinely dont know why you rate him so highly.... he takes countless chances to score one. and honestly dont feel he's improved in any aspect of his game since he's arrived.

hes aggressive, gives defences something to worry about in that regard, but quality wise he's completely and utterly bang average at best. i'd feel pretty gutted if he's an option, even 3rd/4th for us next season.

Norwood has scored better than 1 in every 3 games for us, in mostly dysfunctional non creative teams, often in and out of the side.

The man gets goals in league 1 surely no one can argue that, im not sure he is a KMC type of player, but I could see him staying if we could achieve a reasonably priced deal on his 1 year option.

The only Muff in Town.

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 13:16 - Apr 19 with 502 viewsBlueBadger

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 11:41 - Apr 19 by Garv

Offers more than the alternatives.

Offer Stella, Vodka....
[Post edited 19 Apr 2022 13:16]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 13:22 - Apr 19 with 491 viewstextbackup

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 12:19 - Apr 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

Where did anyone (let alone me) say he is a saviour?

I said he is the best option we currently have, will be decent at this level for whoever he plays for next season and would be OK as an option for us. I also said (in another thread some days ago) that we need better. That is not a description of a saviour for me.

You made up the needing countless chances to score one goal. Why do you need to make up stuff about him?

didnt make it up, ive seen it with my eyes, over a couple of 3 years, like others.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 13:31 - Apr 19 with 483 viewsjayessess

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 13:12 - Apr 19 by LeoMuff

Norwood has scored better than 1 in every 3 games for us, in mostly dysfunctional non creative teams, often in and out of the side.

The man gets goals in league 1 surely no one can argue that, im not sure he is a KMC type of player, but I could see him staying if we could achieve a reasonably priced deal on his 1 year option.

It's 27 in 85 appearances over 3 seasons, so slightly worse than 1 in every 3.

In any case I'm not sure "1 in 3" is the bar for "the man gets goals", is it? It's a decent return if you're a good all round striker who leads the line well. For a pure goalscorer who doesn't do a lot else it's nothing to write home about.

It's a mark that 17 players have met in League One this season.

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 13:31 - Apr 19 with 482 viewsArnieM

None of our strikers have done themselves any favours if they are looking to be here next season have they. But I dont think the constant rotating of the strikers has helped them "settle" into their role either., plus I think the strikers have a case to say they dont get the service in the box. so many variables to consider....Mckenna has probably got his targets well in his sights now , and and I'll be surprised in many of the current strikers remain.

I'd LOVE Simpson to have a run out , but then there's the small issue of his wanting to leave
( well he wont sign his contract will he so can only assume he wants to leave). Who else do we have ??

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 13:39 - Apr 19 with 474 viewsScuzzer

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 11:46 - Apr 19 by BLUEBEAT

Feed the Pigott and he might score.

Probably wouldn't.

Established 1968

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 13:47 - Apr 19 with 465 viewsBonneNIL

Norwood has been our best season-on-season forward since Murphy left, with nearly 30 goals scored now. He has his flaws, but out of the choices available he has by far the best record overall. Will he miss sitters? Yes. But I think he will score if even half a chance anyway, the issue is we are creating absolutely nothing worthy right now as much as everything.

I don't think we can continue to criticize Bonne while he's not had a real run in the team, you can't really harshly judge a man whos been playing what 20 minutes a week? I wouldn't start him over Norwood but he's had limited game-time since McKenna has arrived and the new system really doesn't suit his style of play. If we had two up top for the majority of the game, and partnered with Norwood, he may do better, but McKenna doesn't play that way generally.

As for Piggot, he had a great record last season but has done f'all since coming here and Simpson is clearly going to be shipped off after a falling out over the loan.

It leaves us with Norwood as the best option sadly, unless we are accepting that we don't care about the results anymore?

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 13:50 - Apr 19 with 450 viewsArnieM

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 13:47 - Apr 19 by BonneNIL

Norwood has been our best season-on-season forward since Murphy left, with nearly 30 goals scored now. He has his flaws, but out of the choices available he has by far the best record overall. Will he miss sitters? Yes. But I think he will score if even half a chance anyway, the issue is we are creating absolutely nothing worthy right now as much as everything.

I don't think we can continue to criticize Bonne while he's not had a real run in the team, you can't really harshly judge a man whos been playing what 20 minutes a week? I wouldn't start him over Norwood but he's had limited game-time since McKenna has arrived and the new system really doesn't suit his style of play. If we had two up top for the majority of the game, and partnered with Norwood, he may do better, but McKenna doesn't play that way generally.

As for Piggot, he had a great record last season but has done f'all since coming here and Simpson is clearly going to be shipped off after a falling out over the loan.

It leaves us with Norwood as the best option sadly, unless we are accepting that we don't care about the results anymore?

So if we go with the view that creating chances is our problem , is that down to Aluko , Celina, Burns and Chaplin in those supporting roles, or further back in midfield ?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 13:51 - Apr 19 with 448 viewsLeoMuff

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 13:31 - Apr 19 by jayessess

It's 27 in 85 appearances over 3 seasons, so slightly worse than 1 in every 3.

In any case I'm not sure "1 in 3" is the bar for "the man gets goals", is it? It's a decent return if you're a good all round striker who leads the line well. For a pure goalscorer who doesn't do a lot else it's nothing to write home about.

It's a mark that 17 players have met in League One this season.

I’m just counting lg1 where he is 25 scored in 73 games, over a 46 game season he gets 15-16, which
perfectly adequate for say 2nd choice back up….tbh I’m quite happy whatever McK decides.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2022 13:54]

The only Muff in Town.

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 14:03 - Apr 19 with 434 viewsmonty_radio

As we actually own Pigott and he has a long contract it makes no sense to me for so many to write him off as they did Donacien and, to a lesser extent, Jackson. He should be given three consecutive games and be told that this is the case. It's free information for us.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 14:53 - Apr 19 with 396 viewsjayessess

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 13:51 - Apr 19 by LeoMuff

I’m just counting lg1 where he is 25 scored in 73 games, over a 46 game season he gets 15-16, which
perfectly adequate for say 2nd choice back up….tbh I’m quite happy whatever McK decides.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2022 13:54]

Sure, although I don't imagine its ideal for us to carry his wages as a squad player (and would he even be looking for that?).

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 15:17 - Apr 19 with 371 viewsGarv

Surely Norwood won't get another start tonight? (n/t) on 13:22 - Apr 19 by textbackup

didnt make it up, ive seen it with my eyes, over a couple of 3 years, like others.

He does miss chances, and needs a few chances to score.

Like pretty much every striker.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024