Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... 13:56 - May 18 with 3976 viewsKieran_Knows

... Woolfenden for the majority of the first half of the season. Madness.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 16:04 - May 18 with 1152 viewswkj

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 15:56 - May 18 by pointofblue

Not many fans have a stuff this time last year about the possibility of Woolfenden being sold. Admittedly there was very little affection for Nsiala either.

I saw a few people claim Wolfenden was a useless barsteward in the mix of Cook's Exodus. It was a bit kneejerk really as Wolfenden has been one of the more consistent youth graduates we've had.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 16:12 - May 18 with 1146 viewsitfcjoe

Don't waste your time trying as it is incomprehensible

Toto had a decent enough season last year, but personally I don't like paying money to watch footballers who can't play football

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 16:14 - May 18 with 1137 viewsBlueBadger

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 16:12 - May 18 by itfcjoe

Don't waste your time trying as it is incomprehensible

Toto had a decent enough season last year, but personally I don't like paying money to watch footballers who can't play football

A venn diagram of people who complained about us playing non-football under Mick and people who were saying that Toto was a better player than Woolf is basically a circle.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 16:19 - May 18 with 1115 viewsMach_foreignBlue

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 16:04 - May 18 by wkj

I saw a few people claim Wolfenden was a useless barsteward in the mix of Cook's Exodus. It was a bit kneejerk really as Wolfenden has been one of the more consistent youth graduates we've had.

He was poor though during the Lambert era.
I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 16:35 - May 18 with 1092 viewsitfcjoe

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 16:19 - May 18 by Mach_foreignBlue

How do you work that out? He only ever played under Lambert and was attracting PL interest in the Lambert era

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 16:38 - May 18 with 1091 viewsGarv

It seems that Cook decided that Toto was someone he could 'trust' and obviously we shipped a lot of goals at the start so probably felt he was a good bet as an out and out defender, especially when Burgess was out of form or Edmundson or whoever was injured.

Doesn't make it right. You wonder if Cook ever watched any of his games from earlier in his career. If he'd seen how he played at the start of 2019/20 you'd like to think he'd realise what a good player he was/is.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 16:52 - May 18 with 1064 viewsMach_foreignBlue

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 16:35 - May 18 by itfcjoe

How do you work that out? He only ever played under Lambert and was attracting PL interest in the Lambert era

What is the point of explaining anything to you given the guff you were saying in the last few years and your agendas? No point.

Furthermore you are obsessed about the academy so you are always going to admire plenty of youth products irrespective of their performances/progress.
I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 17:11 - May 18 with 1044 viewspointofblue

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 16:19 - May 18 by Mach_foreignBlue

He was great in the first season in League One with Chambers or Wilson next to him, and there was attention from higher league teams off the back of it. He struggled when alongside McGuinness the following season, which bled into last season. It was only when he returned as part of a back three under McGreal then McKenna that he looked more confident again.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 17:24 - May 18 with 1031 viewsPhilTWTD

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 15:05 - May 18 by PrideOfTheEast

Genuinely an incredible decision playing Nsiala at all in a team that sought to play a bit of football.

Nsiala decent bloke, a typical L1 stopper but non-league level on the ball, and with his decision making. Sums up the last few years of ITFC for me and I’m so glad we’re through that. It’s now a pre-requisite that our players are good on the ball, and it’s therefore worth paying the admission fee to watch that.

Think ideally Cook wouldn't have played Nsiala. He seemed not to rate Woolfenden, was another I think he would have happily seen leave. Maybe felt he was too laidback. Fortunately there don't appear to have been any takers last summer.
I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 17:29 - May 18 with 1018 viewspointofblue

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 17:24 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

Think ideally Cook wouldn't have played Nsiala. He seemed not to rate Woolfenden, was another I think he would have happily seen leave. Maybe felt he was too laidback. Fortunately there don't appear to have been any takers last summer.

Think the rumour was we kept him because he was a player from our academy, and having him in the 22-man squad meant that we didn’t have to have a youngster on the bench.

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 17:30 - May 18 with 1013 viewsVeggie

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 17:24 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

Lambert always used to go on about Woolfy being too laid back as well. Personally I think that’s a good attribute in a ball playing centre half. Van Dyck is as chilled as they come. It shows he’s relaxed and in control. It’s laid back midfielders and strikers I have a problem with. They need to have a bit of fire in their belly imho.
I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 18:35 - May 18 with 952 viewsBlueBadger

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 17:30 - May 18 by Veggie

Lambert always used to go on about Woolfy being too laid back as well. Personally I think that’s a good attribute in a ball playing centre half. Van Dyck is as chilled as they come. It shows he’s relaxed and in control. It’s laid back midfielders and strikers I have a problem with. They need to have a bit of fire in their belly imho.

Interesting that the managers we've had that couldn't be arsed coaching didn't rate him but the ones who could be arsed with it do.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 18:46 - May 18 with 941 viewsPhilTWTD

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 17:29 - May 18 by pointofblue

Think the rumour was we kept him because he was a player from our academy, and having him in the 22-man squad meant that we didn’t have to have a youngster on the bench.

Yes, I think that's true. Woolfy was on the 'out list' until that was pointed out to PC.
I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 20:13 - May 18 with 883 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 16:02 - May 18 by Mach_foreignBlue

And you sunshine are still wrong because no player was as vilified as Nsiala.

Do you think he was better than Wolfenden sunshine?
I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 20:14 - May 18 with 884 viewsMullet

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 18:46 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

Yes, I think that's true. Woolfy was on the 'out list' until that was pointed out to PC.

Baffling, it really is. To think Cook had been so good and then came to Ipswich and Evans' reverse Midas touch hits him too. We really do end managerial careers don't we?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 20:22 - May 18 with 876 viewsSwansea_Blue

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 14:14 - May 18 by Guthrum

I can. Nsiala was a solid, last-ditch blocking kind of defender. Woolfenden had been somewhat underperforming for a while.

It took McKenna's change of style and system to bring out the best in the latter, while Toto became superfluous as we aimed to keep possession up the pitch, rather than defending at the back. Distribution was more important than blocking shots.

Yep. Woolf wasn’t in a good place under Cook and it showed on the pitch. I think it’s all about understanding players, understanding how to get the most out of players, understanding how best to play to allow them to maximise their potential and knowing which have the highest ceiling to progress. Cook seemed to struggle with all of that. KM seems much more switched on as a leader, manager, tactician, motivator and mentor.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 20:35 - May 18 with 860 viewsitfcjoe

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 16:52 - May 18 by Mach_foreignBlue

What is the point of explaining anything to you given the guff you were saying in the last few years and your agendas? No point.

Furthermore you are obsessed about the academy so you are always going to admire plenty of youth products irrespective of their performances/progress.

Surely easier just to admit you were wrong than type all that guff out?

How can you possibly claim he was ‘poor through the Lambert era’ when during the Lambert era he was getting PL interest.

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 21:15 - May 18 with 817 viewsmarchy

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 20:35 - May 18 by itfcjoe

How can you possibly claim he was ‘poor through the Lambert era’ when during the Lambert era he was getting PL interest.

Whilst, strangely, the Premier League didn't seem terribly convinced by this sort of thing.

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 23:04 - May 18 with 740 viewsVaughan8

Nsiala in one of those cup games, was the worst I have seen an Ipswich player in a long time (think it was Vs Lincoln in first league one season)
I felt.sorry for him in the end he was that bad.

He will go down as one of the worst players to have played for this club who had over 50 appearance (probably even 20)

I said we will never go up with.him starting in defence.

Mach labelled him the clean sheet king, which was laughable then and is now looking back.

As soon as we had a team that remotely.attacked he was found out.
I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 23:45 - May 18 with 709 viewspatrickswell

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 20:35 - May 18 by itfcjoe

You have to remember though that during the Lambert era, which Nsiala missed large parts of due to injuries and a loan spell, our defence frequently got criticised even though it really was the least of our problems during the first two League One seasons, but you know how it was: Chambers was to blame for Paul Hurst not working out and Wilson was too uncultured to be an Ipswich player and Woolfenden was learning his trade but Godammit why wasn’t he playing like the reincarnation of Moore and Beckenbauer already! and so it went on.

The defence was fine under Lambert; it looks like it has the potential to be outstanding under McKenna. Woolfenden looks ready to blossom and best of all he looks like he wants to get better and better under this set-up. I know it probably won’t ever happen but the thought of a Woolfenden/Baggott/Ndaba backline is one I’d love to see given a run long-term.
[Post edited 18 May 2022 23:47]
I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 23:52 - May 18 with 702 viewspointofblue

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 23:45 - May 18 by patrickswell

You have to remember though that during the Lambert era, which Nsiala missed large parts of due to injuries and a loan spell, our defence frequently got criticised even though it really was the least of our problems during the first two League One seasons, but you know how it was: Chambers was to blame for Paul Hurst not working out and Wilson was too uncultured to be an Ipswich player and Woolfenden was learning his trade but Godammit why wasn’t he playing like the reincarnation of Moore and Beckenbauer already! and so it went on.

The defence was fine under Lambert; it looks like it has the potential to be outstanding under McKenna. Woolfenden looks ready to blossom and best of all he looks like he wants to get better and better under this set-up. I know it probably won’t ever happen but the thought of a Woolfenden/Baggott/Ndaba backline is one I’d love to see given a run long-term.
[Post edited 18 May 2022 23:47]

Funnily enough in 19/20 we conceded 36 goals in 36 games, an average of one a game. In 20/21 we conceded 46 goals at an average of one goal a game. In 21/22 we conceded 46 goals in 46 games at an average of…

Our defence has been nothing if not consistent.

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 00:19 - May 19 with 694 viewswkj

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 16:52 - May 18 by Mach_foreignBlue

Not really anyhing to do with the academy - Woolfenden is a good player, always has been - he just had a really crap time with confidence for a short time - hardly a surprise considering Cook's approach to team building.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 05:40 - May 19 with 654 viewsPrideOfTheEast

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 23:04 - May 18 by Vaughan8

Nsiala in one of those cup games, was the worst I have seen an Ipswich player in a long time (think it was Vs Lincoln in first league one season)
I felt.sorry for him in the end he was that bad.

He will go down as one of the worst players to have played for this club who had over 50 appearance (probably even 20)

I said we will never go up with.him starting in defence.

Mach labelled him the clean sheet king, which was laughable then and is now looking back.

As soon as we had a team that remotely.attacked he was found out.

It was terrible watching every side just press everybody except him, leaving him with the ball time and time again.
I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 08:32 - May 19 with 585 viewsitfcjoe

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 00:19 - May 19 by wkj

Not really anyhing to do with the academy - Woolfenden is a good player, always has been - he just had a really crap time with confidence for a short time - hardly a surprise considering Cook's approach to team building.

I think someone mentioned it above - but the fact we were going:

Ward-Woolf-McGuinness-Chambers over Ward-Woolf-Chambers-Donacien was baffling.

Chambers was adding far more at CB with a combination of his leadership and ability than Nsiala or McGuinness last season and Donacien would have added more at RB as they were expecting to push on and both Chambers and Ward weren't able to do that when playing 3 games a week.

Yet the defence was still pretty solid, as ever it was our attack letting us down

I still can't get my head around Cook starting Nsiala over... on 08:41 - May 19 with 573 viewshype313

Just goes to show the levels of football knowledge between McKenna and Cook, Cook was too entwined into the 'proper' footballer type and thought by having blockers was the way to get out of this league.

FWIW, I really liked Toto, more on a personal level as I met him a few times and he was one of the nicest blokes I've met from the football fraternity, and I desperately wanted him to do well, despite his failings as a CB and knowing he was a ricket waiting to happen.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024