Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Madeira. 14:41 - May 25 with 1796 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Looking for somewhere warm to go first week of October with Mrs SSB, preferably a destination neither of us has visited, and I quite like the look of Funchal. Going to be on a fairly tight budget so is Madeira a good place to go to?

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Madeira. on 14:51 - May 25 with 1766 viewsgobs93

Madeira is great if you're looking for a mixture of relaxing and hiking. We went last year in October and the weather was still mid 20s and lovely. Be warned, it's fairly hilly and we booked a hotel quite far up a very steep hill which wasn't fun after a heavy meal and beers. There also aren't beaches so a hotel with a pool is definitely recommended.

Overall it as amazing - would recommend doing the Vereda do Areeiro (PR1) hike, which is brutal but beautiful.
Madeira. on 15:14 - May 25 with 1715 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Madeira. on 14:51 - May 25 by gobs93

Madeira is great if you're looking for a mixture of relaxing and hiking. We went last year in October and the weather was still mid 20s and lovely. Be warned, it's fairly hilly and we booked a hotel quite far up a very steep hill which wasn't fun after a heavy meal and beers. There also aren't beaches so a hotel with a pool is definitely recommended.

Overall it as amazing - would recommend doing the Vereda do Areeiro (PR1) hike, which is brutal but beautiful.

Thanks, like the sound of that. Like to do a bit of relaxing and get out and about in equal measure.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Madeira. on 15:30 - May 25 with 1691 viewsEwan_Oozami

Can recommend Funchal - avoid the CR7 museum though!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Madeira. on 15:35 - May 25 with 1683 viewsSaleAway

Madeira. on 15:14 - May 25 by StochesStotasBlewe

Thanks, like the sound of that. Like to do a bit of relaxing and get out and about in equal measure.

Can also recommend canyoning with https://www.madeira-harmonyinnature.com/en/

if you fancy some activities.

there are beaches around the island, but Funchal itself is more of a port town.

great island.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Madeira. on 15:36 - May 25 with 1690 viewsfactual_blue

It's very pleasant. The north side of the island is worth visiting, as are the botanical gardens. The toboggan ride is good fun, but there'll be a big queue if there's a cruise ship in.

Afternoon tea at Reid's.
[Post edited 25 May 2022 15:43]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Madeira. on 15:38 - May 25 with 1682 viewshomer_123

Madeira. on 15:36 - May 25 by factual_blue

It's very pleasant. The north side of the island is worth visiting, as are the botanical gardens. The toboggan ride is good fun, but there'll be a big queue if there's a cruise ship in.

Afternoon tea at Reid's.
[Post edited 25 May 2022 15:43]

This post from Facters is as rare as hens teeth.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Madeira. on 15:45 - May 25 with 1671 viewsitfcjoe

I went in January and was really impressed by it, lots to do there and quite easy to eat in places that aren't particularly expensive.

Found the accomodation to be a bit run down but could get very good value - maybe similar to somewhere like Malta in that respect.

It is very, very hilly though - if you want to walk around a lot it will genuinely require a decent base level of fitness to do so. Public transport is cheap, but if wither you or Mrs SSB have any mobility issues I'd probably avoid, if not I'd say definitely go for it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Madeira. on 15:54 - May 25 with 1661 viewsWestover

Have a look at Cabanas Portugal ( I live in Conceicao 15 minute walk from Cabanas )
No need for a car Trains and Buses make it easy to get around if you want, I'm less than twenty miles from the Spanish border it's less than an hour away on train then ferry and costs about 8 Euro return, lovely beach in Cabanas we don't normally have rain until the middle of October, we did have heavy rain last September for two days but not as much as that since and should be in mid 20s in October, and Tavira is also lovely we walk across the salt pans it's about an hour away or 6 minutes on the train 3 Euro return, well worth a look.
Login to get fewer ads

Madeira. on 16:08 - May 25 with 1640 viewsChurchman

Madeira is lovely. Interesting, ‘green’, a few hills and a good main town in Funchal. The people are friendly and it’s one of my favourite ‘short haul’ places.

I really like the climate. Yes, it can be hot but it’s usually tempered with a lovely breeze.

Recommended.
Madeira. on 16:09 - May 25 with 1639 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Madeira. on 15:54 - May 25 by Westover

Have a look at Cabanas Portugal ( I live in Conceicao 15 minute walk from Cabanas )
No need for a car Trains and Buses make it easy to get around if you want, I'm less than twenty miles from the Spanish border it's less than an hour away on train then ferry and costs about 8 Euro return, lovely beach in Cabanas we don't normally have rain until the middle of October, we did have heavy rain last September for two days but not as much as that since and should be in mid 20s in October, and Tavira is also lovely we walk across the salt pans it's about an hour away or 6 minutes on the train 3 Euro return, well worth a look.

Tavira is another place we liked the look of a few years back. Will look into it later. Thanks.
[Post edited 25 May 2022 22:06]

Madeira. on 16:33 - May 25 with 1590 viewssolemio

Madeira. on 15:45 - May 25 by itfcjoe

I went in January and was really impressed by it, lots to do there and quite easy to eat in places that aren't particularly expensive.

Found the accomodation to be a bit run down but could get very good value - maybe similar to somewhere like Malta in that respect.

It is very, very hilly though - if you want to walk around a lot it will genuinely require a decent base level of fitness to do so. Public transport is cheap, but if wither you or Mrs SSB have any mobility issues I'd probably avoid, if not I'd say definitely go for it

On our last day there we found a scenic non-hilly walk!

Great place to visit. The only downside is landing at the airport in a strong wind. We did and the cabin crew looked scared. Mind you our taxi driver said he was amazed that we were allowed to land as it was a stronger wind than when flights are usually diverted to Casablanca.
Madeira. on 16:35 - May 25 with 1575 viewsBlueBadger

Madeira. on 15:54 - May 25 by Westover

Tavira is a wonderful place. Alternatively, there's Silves - a town with some fascinating history not too fair from the mountain or Lagos - a brilliant city with again, a lot of history to it. Although, it's a long trek to anywhere bar Cabo Sa Vincente from there..

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Madeira. on 16:36 - May 25 with 1573 viewsChurchman

Madeira. on 16:33 - May 25 by solemio

On our last day there we found a scenic non-hilly walk!

Great place to visit. The only downside is landing at the airport in a strong wind. We did and the cabin crew looked scared. Mind you our taxi driver said he was amazed that we were allowed to land as it was a stronger wind than when flights are usually diverted to Casablanca.

You actually have to be licenced to fly into Funchal airport. It’s a bit hairy, but improved since they extended the runway.. I have to say the first time I went there we had to go round again, but all part of the fun.
[Post edited 25 May 2022 17:26]
Madeira. on 16:56 - May 25 with 1536 viewsRadlett_blue

I've been to Madeira several times, usually in May. October weather should be nice - warm, but not too hot. Funchal is sunnier than the rest of the island. Choice of food is great, with everything from budget to fine dining. Plenty of inexpensive but pleasant little restaurants in the Old Town. Many of the better restaurants do fixed price deals, which are usually good value & often include generous wine. Most of the wine is Portuguese & good value.
Take the cable car to Monte (as long as there is no cruise ship in that day) and wander around the gardens. Palheiro Gardens are also pleasant but need a bus to get there.
If you want to see the island, the East or West tour, usually in a 4x4 is worth doing.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Madeira. on 17:11 - May 25 with 1509 viewssolemio

Madeira. on 16:56 - May 25 by Radlett_blue

I've been to Madeira several times, usually in May. October weather should be nice - warm, but not too hot. Funchal is sunnier than the rest of the island. Choice of food is great, with everything from budget to fine dining. Plenty of inexpensive but pleasant little restaurants in the Old Town. Many of the better restaurants do fixed price deals, which are usually good value & often include generous wine. Most of the wine is Portuguese & good value.
Take the cable car to Monte (as long as there is no cruise ship in that day) and wander around the gardens. Palheiro Gardens are also pleasant but need a bus to get there.
If you want to see the island, the East or West tour, usually in a 4x4 is worth doing.

Good point re the cruise ships.
Madeira. on 17:12 - May 25 with 1506 viewswkj

Yet another post about cake pretending to be something else... smh

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Madeira. on 19:04 - May 25 with 1406 viewseastangliaisblue

Madeira is great but the Azores is even better imo. Ryanair flies directly to the main island of Sao Miguel. It's absolutely stunning. Plenty to see and do like whale watching, kayaking, natural hot springs etc.
Madeira. on 19:04 - May 25 with 1406 viewsRadlett_blue

Madeira. on 17:11 - May 25 by solemio

Good point re the cruise ships.

Yes, you can usually check on line to see which days there is one (or more) in port & its size. On such days, the queue for the cable car can be horrific.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Madeira. on 19:35 - May 25 with 1386 viewsearlsgreenblue

Bom dia, let me know what information you need & will source it for you, I live in Arco da Calheta, south coast western side, the marina here & 2 x sandy beaches are very nice, plenty of good restaurants on the island, not all are expensive, accommodation is sensible price wise, Funchal is more expensive though, typical city prices, food, coffee, beer etc all higher here in the city than elsewhere. Let me know what you need, always happy to help, might even stand you a beer! Regards, Marcus.
Madeira. on 19:42 - May 25 with 1370 viewsTractorWood

Madeira. on 15:45 - May 25 by itfcjoe

Did you need a car? Is there somewhere to stay that has bars etc but also easy to do some hiking.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Madeira. on 21:58 - May 25 with 1303 viewsitfcjoe

Madeira. on 19:42 - May 25 by TractorWood

Did you need a car? Is there somewhere to stay that has bars etc but also easy to do some hiking.

A car would probably help but we didn't as were there with other family.

We also had our 2 young kids so were pushing buggy about which made it a lot harder, but I can't imagine it's difficult to find somewhere to head across to do some hiking as the buses get you around the island quite well, and even if off route the taxis are cheap

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Madeira. on 22:41 - May 25 with 1262 viewsRyorry

Madeira. on 16:56 - May 25 by Radlett_blue

Quite possibly the climate's changed in the last 35 years, but my parents retired there, & October brought Atlantic gales almost every year, was a bit like October is in the UK!

The Madeira wine centre in Funchal is definitely worth a visit if you do go, plenty of free samples!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Madeira. on 23:57 - May 25 with 1191 viewsChurchman

Madeira. on 22:41 - May 25 by Ryorry

Quite possibly the climate's changed in the last 35 years, but my parents retired there, & October brought Atlantic gales almost every year, was a bit like October is in the UK!

The Madeira wine centre in Funchal is definitely worth a visit if you do go, plenty of free samples!

Blandys? Done that twice. Had great fun both times.
Madeira. on 07:53 - May 26 with 1117 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Thanks for all the info. Mrs SSB is enthusiastic about visiting Madeira so hopefully we will get something booked shortly.

Madeira. on 12:02 - May 27 with 948 viewsearlsgreenblue

Madeira. on 07:53 - May 26 by StochesStotasBlewe

Thanks for all the info. Mrs SSB is enthusiastic about visiting Madeira so hopefully we will get something booked shortly.

Pm sent
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024