Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? 14:05 - Jun 26 with 2279 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/26/labour-heathrow-airline-staff-p

Lammy was asked if he supported the BA check-in staff at Heathrow who have voted go to on strike over management’s refusal to reverse the 10% pay cut imposed during the pandemic.

“Many of us might want a rise of 10%,” Lammy said. “In truth, most people understand it’s unlikely that you’re going to get that.”

So, too much to ask to have a pay cut reinstated and 'fit to govern' means protecting the interests of shareholders over those of the working class. We have no meaningful choices in British politics.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 14:10 - Jun 26 with 1514 viewssolomon

How about New Labour?

Worked last time.
Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 14:12 - Jun 26 with 1509 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The truth is that supporting the common working man (or woman or other) has been seen as a vote loser for a long time now. Labour are terrified of allowing the Conservatives to paint them as the same party of the 70s. As a result, public services and and lower paid workers have been continuously under-funded and faced repeated pay cuts (in real terms). The only glimmering light was the introduction of the minimum wage which the Conservatives said would cause huge damage and yet still have not removed.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 14:13 - Jun 26 with 1507 viewsJ2BLUE

So they had a 10% pay cut and now there is 10% inflation and they are refusing to even put it back up to the previous wage level?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 14:18 - Jun 26 with 1488 viewssolomon

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 14:13 - Jun 26 by J2BLUE

So they had a 10% pay cut and now there is 10% inflation and they are refusing to even put it back up to the previous wage level?

Shareholders, shareholders, shareholders.

How did we ever allow things to get this bad? I think industrial action on a wider scale is I inevitable and unfortunate.
Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 14:25 - Jun 26 with 1460 viewsJ2BLUE

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 14:18 - Jun 26 by solomon

How did we ever allow things to get this bad? I think industrial action on a wider scale is I inevitable and unfortunate.

I agree. I'm actually keeping my job after threat of redundancy due to relocation so reasonably grateful at the moment but it's not lost on me that the company has recently put prices up for the fourth time in a year and our pay is still at the same level.

Truly impaired.

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 14:27 - Jun 26 with 1456 viewstractordownsouth

I don't think widespread public ownership of utilities is the most immediate political problem the UK faces but the past few weeks have solidified my views in favour of rail nationalisation. The price increases are insane - in September, I could get a return from Cardiff to Ipswich for £30, now it's £73. It's genuinely cheaper to fly abroad for a weekend than it is to go to most places in the UK. And to force 7% real-terms cuts on the low-paid workforce while executives make 500k+ is completely unjustifiable.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 14:31 - Jun 26 with 1419 viewsPinewoodblue

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 14:27 - Jun 26 by tractordownsouth

I don't think widespread public ownership of utilities is the most immediate political problem the UK faces but the past few weeks have solidified my views in favour of rail nationalisation. The price increases are insane - in September, I could get a return from Cardiff to Ipswich for £30, now it's £73. It's genuinely cheaper to fly abroad for a weekend than it is to go to most places in the UK. And to force 7% real-terms cuts on the low-paid workforce while executives make 500k+ is completely unjustifiable.

Hate to think how much rail fares will go up in January…..10% anyone?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 14:33 - Jun 26 with 1423 viewsChurchman

Agreed. They’re not asking for a pay rise. Just the pay cut reversed. Jeez, what an awful company BA has been for a very long time now.
Login to get fewer ads

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 14:34 - Jun 26 with 1420 viewsjeera

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 14:27 - Jun 26 by tractordownsouth

The public's needs haven't been seen as a priority for a long time now.

The population is seen as a collective customer base; a means of extracting as much profit as possible.

Awful state of affairs.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 14:36 - Jun 26 with 1408 viewseireblue

It would be nice if more employers offered shares, or profit sharing incentives to all staff.

Equally well, any performance pay incentives were aligned. E.g C’level execs get x% for hitting a company target, everyone benefits.
Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 14:36 - Jun 26 with 1410 viewsDarth_Koont

Because almost our entire political and media class want to get paid.

They're all selling access and influence nowadays. We can say that it's currying favour with the right-wing press barons but ultimately the personal, financial and career incentives are too many and too ubiquitous.

I think we're just seeing workers and their unions stepping directly into the democratic and representative void at the heart of our politics.

Pronouns: He/Him

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 14:36 - Jun 26 with 1402 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 14:31 - Jun 26 by Pinewoodblue

Hate to think how much rail fares will go up in January…..10% anyone?

10% will only cover inflation. I reckon somewhere between 20-33%. Some of it will depend on them being able to argue that the rise is to cover the pay rise they are forced into making and how much they will think they can get away with. And when the profits still aren't high enough, they will ask for a Government bail-out too.

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 15:21 - Jun 26 with 1336 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 14:10 - Jun 26 by solomon

How about New Labour?

Worked last time.

How about 'Zero hours, deregulated Labour?'

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 15:24 - Jun 26 with 1328 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

That seems to be about it! However it might inconvenience a nurse's holiday or something.

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 15:33 - Jun 26 with 1292 viewsbrogansnose

This is appalling. After taking a pay cut because of the pandemic and then when business picks up not to get it back absolutely stinks................and Labour not supporting them makes it stink even more.
Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 15:38 - Jun 26 with 1251 viewsJ2BLUE

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 15:33 - Jun 26 by brogansnose

This is appalling. After taking a pay cut because of the pandemic and then when business picks up not to get it back absolutely stinks................and Labour not supporting them makes it stink even more.

If that is official Labour policy then that is disgusting.

Truly impaired.

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 15:42 - Jun 26 with 1239 viewsbrogansnose

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 15:38 - Jun 26 by J2BLUE

If that is official Labour policy then that is disgusting.

I would have thought that most people in the country can see that the staff at least getting back to pre-pandemic wage levels is hardly the cutting edge of a hardline Marxist policy but, if Starmer wants to dance to the Tory media tune then I can see it biting him in the backside.
Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 15:45 - Jun 26 with 1225 viewseireblue

It is a particular and strangely hard line that he is talking about.

In other news, Labour have been opposing how the Tories are going to deal with the ECHR.

Of course withdrawing Labour is a human right.

Seems perfectly reasonable that a politician should be able to support the right to strike, as a human right, emphasise that negotiation is appropriate and preferred, with the RMT dispute, it is the government that controls the purse strings, and BA is a private company. So you can have different things to say.

This seems a response to play to media, sound bite politics and weighted to appear safe to a demographic. The current government is much better at that game.
Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 15:51 - Jun 26 with 1198 viewsghostofescobar

I agree completely, but the working class (whatever that demographic represents these days) don’t vote for “working class” policies/parties. This is a massively broad brush statement, but many vote Tory because they see them as higher class, and that is some kind of class driven aspiration, despite the lies peddled. There hasn’t been a more “working class” Labour leadership/policy stance than in the last election than since the 1970’s, and Labour were trounced. Striking is about all workers have, and I tend to agree with striking, but it seems that if political parties support them, it won’t play well. I think Labour see this as too much of an easy open goal to give the Tories but supporting strikes. Keep letting the Tories shoot them selves in the foot, don’t give them any ammunition to shoot Labour with, that seems to be the strategy from Labour at present.

GhostOfEscobar

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 15:56 - Jun 26 with 1176 viewssolomon

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 15:21 - Jun 26 by BanksterDebtSlave

How about 'Zero hours, deregulated Labour?'

Not very catchy though is it?

Joking aside I can’t see the electorate voting in anything else than a clone of the previous labour government.
Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 16:11 - Jun 26 with 1128 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 15:42 - Jun 26 by brogansnose

I would have thought that most people in the country can see that the staff at least getting back to pre-pandemic wage levels is hardly the cutting edge of a hardline Marxist policy but, if Starmer wants to dance to the Tory media tune then I can see it biting him in the backside.

See for example the turn out in Wakefield to confirm this. I think they want the working class to go back to being disillusioned and not voting.

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 16:26 - Jun 26 with 1085 viewsMullet

Expect the mooted teacher strikes to happen around November time I reckon. Possibly sooner, but there's been long held "negotiations" over the 20% real-terms cut to teachers' pay in the last 5 years. The government are basically doing the same to lots of industries it seems.

Knowing/hoping the public will turn on the unions first. Hence all the 1970's and Scargill talk, not the Thatcher focus /parallels with a comparison to Johnson.

With only speculating I'd expect several other unions who represent multiple industries will be in the same boat and the worry is that it will be a "winter of discontent" not Johnson's chickens coming home to roost.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 16:43 - Jun 26 with 1031 viewsBlueBadger

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 16:26 - Jun 26 by Mullet

Expect the mooted teacher strikes to happen around November time I reckon. Possibly sooner, but there's been long held "negotiations" over the 20% real-terms cut to teachers' pay in the last 5 years. The government are basically doing the same to lots of industries it seems.

Knowing/hoping the public will turn on the unions first. Hence all the 1970's and Scargill talk, not the Thatcher focus /parallels with a comparison to Johnson.

With only speculating I'd expect several other unions who represent multiple industries will be in the same boat and the worry is that it will be a "winter of discontent" not Johnson's chickens coming home to roost.

Lot of noise coming from Unison regarding strikes in Healthcare employees at the moment. I'd imagine that would be September/early October at absolute latest if that were to happen

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 16:46 - Jun 26 with 999 viewsJ2BLUE

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 16:43 - Jun 26 by BlueBadger

Lot of noise coming from Unison regarding strikes in Healthcare employees at the moment. I'd imagine that would be September/early October at absolute latest if that were to happen

You should do.

You've been completely and utterly betrayed by not only the government but most of the people were happy to give you a meaningless gesture each week but didn't demand a pay increase for you.

Truly impaired.

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 17:12 - Jun 26 with 909 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Labour don't support labour...time for a rebrand? on 16:11 - Jun 26 by BanksterDebtSlave

See for example the turn out in Wakefield to confirm this. I think they want the working class to go back to being disillusioned and not voting.

If the working class (as a massive generalisation) are unable to see what benefits them and instead fall for slogans like "Get Brexit done!" surely it is understandable for Labour not to rely on them. It is a very sad situation for the country and for those who are most vulnerable, though.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024