Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are the replacements good enough ? 10:11 - Jun 28 with 3957 viewsDMDC

Im not sure we have improved the squad. Ladapo will get around 12 goals,he isnt prolific, so a replacement for Bonne. Ball is another fairly defensive midfielder,so much the same as Morsey and Evans. Leigh is another left back to try out,a position we have struggled with for a few seasons now anyway and JJ is just a kid,who we really havent got time to bring on as a third division club wanting to go up,much the same as Barry was last season. Where are the goals in this team because l just dont see them ? I dont see an improvement,still think we are a 6-12 place team. Cant see us troubling the top 2 maybe flirt around the playoff for a bit but cant see us ultimately going up.
Are the replacements good enough ? on 11:50 - Jun 28 with 1271 viewsjayessess

Who is that you think the 1st to 6th place teams are signing? Dom Ball was a mainstay for a Championship team and he's moved to us during his career peak. Freddie Ladapo has been promoted from this division twice. TJJ is 21, very highly rated by his Big 6 parent club and now on his 4th senior loan, you are not realistically going to get a loan player of higher status in this division. Greg Leigh comes with much the same pedigree as Wes Burns - peak age, highly rated by fans of his previous club.

This is the profile of player you can sign in League One, loan players from the Premier League, squad players from the Championship, players from other League One teams. The key to it is making them work as a unit.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Are the replacements good enough ? on 11:52 - Jun 28 with 1261 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Are the replacements good enough ? on 11:50 - Jun 28 by jayessess

Who is that you think the 1st to 6th place teams are signing? Dom Ball was a mainstay for a Championship team and he's moved to us during his career peak. Freddie Ladapo has been promoted from this division twice. TJJ is 21, very highly rated by his Big 6 parent club and now on his 4th senior loan, you are not realistically going to get a loan player of higher status in this division. Greg Leigh comes with much the same pedigree as Wes Burns - peak age, highly rated by fans of his previous club.

This is the profile of player you can sign in League One, loan players from the Premier League, squad players from the Championship, players from other League One teams. The key to it is making them work as a unit.

Hear! Hear!

Lots has been made of Sheff Weds business. Vaulks is a good player, from what ive seen/heard, is he better than Dom Ball... not so sure. Ihiekwe, good CB, would he get in to our back 3.. nope.

Michael Smith, decent player has only hit double figures in league one twice in 7 seasons, which is less than Ladapo. Our fans want Messi.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2022 12:01]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Are the replacements good enough ? on 12:02 - Jun 28 with 1232 viewsitfcsuth

I think Dom Ball is a very good acquisition, for me an upgrade to the squad. I know nothing on Greg Leigh to make comments, although the reviews on him seem positive.

It will be interesting to see if and how Ladapo handles that main man role, I feel he is a striker who will thrive on being the main man, something he didn't really get in the shadow of Michael Smith at Rotherham.

Ladapo and TJJ scored 11 goals between them last year - all from Ladapo, we will need more out of the pair than that, that is undeniable, which is why I don't think it is a drastically unrealistic question to pose.

Although I am personally optimistic they can deliver.
Are the replacements good enough ? on 12:06 - Jun 28 with 1223 viewsdirtyboy

Are the replacements good enough ? on 11:14 - Jun 28 by DMDC

They are signings,not big names. Most had never heard of them before they arrived. Celina aside. And that was only because he had been here before and had a few games at Swansea.

I wouldn't even call myself a super fan or anything and I knew Celina, Morsy, Chaplin, Edmundson AND Walton and was over the moon with them.

JJ and Leigh I don't profess to know, or even remember playing, so that places more emphasis on how good the signings were last year.

Ladapo is a a cracking signing, he really is.

Heard of Dom Ball, will have seen him play, but don't remember anything.

Ultimately, I trust the recruitment team and for how long have we wanted round pegs in round holes? I think we're doing that above anything else.
Are the replacements good enough ? on 12:13 - Jun 28 with 1205 viewspeterleeblue

Utter Rubbish
We only need normal McKenna pts return from the opening 10 games and we will be right up there. Additionally if we are up there I would not expect the tail off we experienced last season as the game was up.

Last seasons squad was by and large good enough. Mckenna from when Cook came in and we would have gone up.
Are the replacements good enough ? on 12:15 - Jun 28 with 1204 viewsjayessess

Are the replacements good enough ? on 11:52 - Jun 28 by TRUE_BLUE123

Hear! Hear!

Lots has been made of Sheff Weds business. Vaulks is a good player, from what ive seen/heard, is he better than Dom Ball... not so sure. Ihiekwe, good CB, would he get in to our back 3.. nope.

Michael Smith, decent player has only hit double figures in league one twice in 7 seasons, which is less than Ladapo. Our fans want Messi.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2022 12:01]

Sheffield Wednesday have had some high profile incomings, but ... they're only one team and there's absolutely no guarantee they put them together as an effective unit.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Are the replacements good enough ? on 12:25 - Jun 28 with 1178 viewsitfcjoe

I think we've recruited well so far but still have some room to go and those sort of signings will be made at the end of the window.

Ladapo is better than Norwood, and you'd hope to be a better fit than Bonne who didn't work in a McKenna side.

Ball a clear improvement on Bakinson who finished season there, and Evans for me who lacks mobility

Thompson was no great shakes, and Leigh appears to have more about him but a less obvious upgrade and we hope his improved physicality helps in that regard

John-Jules is an England U21 international, you don't get many of them in League 1 and should really add something, he may fizzle out but that's the risk

We still clearly need a Celina replacement, which may be Celina, and probably another striker, but the squad is in really good shape, the signing shave been good and the one thing that will be a huge help is continuity.

I'm very confident we'll hit the ground running, and if we do that then you'd imagine it'll loosen the purse strings at end of window to add the key finishing touches when they are available

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Are the replacements good enough ? on 12:30 - Jun 28 with 1150 viewsEwan_Oozami

Absolutely, great band...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Login to get fewer ads

Are the replacements good enough ? on 13:09 - Jun 28 with 1104 viewsGuthrum

46 goals could win us the division, if we replicate the defensive form of February and March over a whole season.

If we get a dozen each from Ladapo, Chaplin and Burns, plus ten from Jackson, five from Morsy (with Ball allowing him to get further forward), Aluko, Celina (if he comes back, his replacement if not), the centre-backs (between them) and another ten throughout the rest of the squad - none of which is far fetched, based on last season - that takes us up to the mid seventies.

With a tight defence, that is enough to be challenging for promotion.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Are the replacements good enough ? on 13:16 - Jun 28 with 1082 viewsGuthrum

Are the replacements good enough ? on 11:20 - Jun 28 by abracaDOBRA_

They are big name signings, if, no offence, you watch a lot of football. Most would've known those names. No problems if you haven't, but just cos u haven't heard of them doesn't mean they weren't big names.

Moreover, for a player to be informally* considered a "marquee signing", they simply have to be an attraction at the level where we are, not internationally famous.

* Unlike some leagues and sports, there is no official category, with perhaps exemptions from salary caps and the like.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Are the replacements good enough ? on 13:17 - Jun 28 with 1083 viewsSTYG

Are the replacements good enough ? on 12:06 - Jun 28 by dirtyboy

I wouldn't even call myself a super fan or anything and I knew Celina, Morsy, Chaplin, Edmundson AND Walton and was over the moon with them.

JJ and Leigh I don't profess to know, or even remember playing, so that places more emphasis on how good the signings were last year.

Ladapo is a a cracking signing, he really is.

Heard of Dom Ball, will have seen him play, but don't remember anything.

Ultimately, I trust the recruitment team and for how long have we wanted round pegs in round holes? I think we're doing that above anything else.

Lol.

By his reckoning, if Needham Market signed the best five players in the Conference National they would be big signings because he wouldn't have heard of them.

What happens if we went out and bought two Croatian internationals that would be big signings for any Premier League club but this numpty hasn't heard of them?

How many people out of 10 need to have heard of a player before they are a big signing?

Maybe there's some sort of database for this, like Pointless or Family Fortunes so we can determine which players are big signings so that Ashton can go out and get one that most people have heard of.
Are the replacements good enough ? on 13:24 - Jun 28 with 1050 viewsSTYG

Are the replacements good enough ? on 13:16 - Jun 28 by Guthrum

Moreover, for a player to be informally* considered a "marquee signing", they simply have to be an attraction at the level where we are, not internationally famous.

* Unlike some leagues and sports, there is no official category, with perhaps exemptions from salary caps and the like.

I doubt he's heard of Anastasios Bakasetas.

Which means the 49 times capped Greek international who has just won the Greek league, wouldn't be a big signing for Ipswich Wanderers.

Because after all he's not internationally famous.

This one is clearly a Budgie.
Are the replacements good enough ? on 15:08 - Jun 28 with 985 viewscbower

Wise words. We need a functioning team, well coached and drilled with a sprinkle of quality.

bluescouser

Are the replacements good enough ? on 15:14 - Jun 28 with 967 viewsBlueNomad

I don't understand the view that striker "X" will only get a (small) number of goals. This time in 2014 few people would have expected Murph to get double figures. Last year people expected Piggot to get 20-30. Let's see - that's what makes football fun!
Are the replacements good enough ? on 16:35 - Jun 28 with 904 viewsdirtyboy

Are the replacements good enough ? on 13:17 - Jun 28 by STYG

Lol.

By his reckoning, if Needham Market signed the best five players in the Conference National they would be big signings because he wouldn't have heard of them.

What happens if we went out and bought two Croatian internationals that would be big signings for any Premier League club but this numpty hasn't heard of them?

How many people out of 10 need to have heard of a player before they are a big signing?

Maybe there's some sort of database for this, like Pointless or Family Fortunes so we can determine which players are big signings so that Ashton can go out and get one that most people have heard of.

Agreed....look at Manchester United, hoovered up top individual players but created anything but a team.

Feels like there's much more emphasis on the right type in terms of personality too, not just ability.

Much like any workplace, you get the odd employee who on paper can do the job brilliantly.....but just don't fit in and cause issues.
Are the replacements good enough ? on 18:11 - Jun 28 with 826 viewsquad

Are the replacements good enough ? on 11:09 - Jun 28 by BiGDonnie

Shut up scummer. We'll bother the top two like you bother your sister.

Are you like 10 years old? Seriously?

It's perfectly reasonable to question whether we are going to score enough goals to get promoted with what we've got at the moment.

Hopefully we will get an attacking midfielder and striker of more proven quality soon and we will all feel more optimistic about our promotion prospects.

But just to call someone a scummer because they might have some doubts presently is incredibly immature IMO.
Are the replacements good enough ? on 18:17 - Jun 28 with 806 viewsDJR

Are the replacements good enough ? on 11:38 - Jun 28 by Illinoisblue

Are you new to the English language?

Marquee in the expression "marquee signing" is actually an Americanism. It means the canopy or structure which appears at the entrance to a cinema or theatre etc. So a marquee signing would be someone famous enough to have their name in lights. In that sense, I don't think anyone we sign would ever fit that description.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2022 18:18]
Are the replacements good enough ? on 18:36 - Jun 28 with 766 viewsBigCommon

We've definitely improved the team (first 11-12)... However, I still think we lack a bit of depth atm. Which will look different when another 2 or 3 or even 4 , possibly, come in... My main concern (with glass half empty head on), would be the potential fitness/injury issues...
Leigh has had his injury problems, previous to last season, John Jules has had some too.. Then , in our existing bunch, Fridge, Evans, Jackson and Edwards are all coming back from long term injuries.. KVY has also had his injury issues.. We need to be careful with Burns, imo, after his long season, too.. We're going to need reinforcements, just so we don't overplay or burn out that first 11-12 core of players, imo. I think, with the 5 subs rule this year, we can protect certain players a bit more, as long as we get in front , in games.. But we will need a few more ins, to provide the quality in depth... We'd look a bit light , for me . Up against any of the better sides. If we had 2 or 3 missing through knocks or suspension. As it stands
Are the replacements good enough ? on 18:45 - Jun 28 with 748 viewsKropotkin123

((18+14+11)÷(45+31+31))×46* = 18.49 goals if playing 46 games. If he gets 12 goals next season, the likelihood is he only played 30 games.

*These are Ladapo's stats from his past 3 League 1 seasons. The stats I used did not differentiate between starts and subs.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2022 18:52]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Are the replacements good enough ? on 19:03 - Jun 28 with 692 viewsSTYG

Are the replacements good enough ? on 18:45 - Jun 28 by Kropotkin123

((18+14+11)÷(45+31+31))×46* = 18.49 goals if playing 46 games. If he gets 12 goals next season, the likelihood is he only played 30 games.

*These are Ladapo's stats from his past 3 League 1 seasons. The stats I used did not differentiate between starts and subs.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2022 18:52]

For all our goalscoring ‘woes’ last season, Rotherham went up scoring just 3 goals more.

Under McKenna our defence was a lot better than theirs. So it stands to reason that we could score the same goals we did this season and go up with our defence.

Or we could elevate Ladapo to another level or he elevates us to it and we score more goals and have a solid defence.

People seem intent on some myth that we barely scored and Ladapo only scored 14 in a side that scored millions.

I fancy him to score 20+ for us next season from what I have seen and how offensive we are, much more so than Rotherham.
Are the replacements good enough ? on 08:50 - Jun 30 with 524 viewstractorshark

Reading McKenna’s comments about John-Jules and Stuart Watson’s piece on him, it sounds very much as though the expectations are low on him.
A talent to be nurtured and guided back to full fitness rather than someone we are counting for 10+ goals this season.
If he delivers that, all well and good. Clearly he could give us that X Factor but I would be very surprised if we don’t sign another more proven striker, unless we can get a tune out of Pigott which looks unlikely.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024