Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Celina to Stoke 09:48 - Jul 13 with 10594 viewsWallingford_Boy

Apologies if discussed already.

RIP Sir Bobby

Celina to Stoke on 12:36 - Jul 13 with 1199 viewsSTYG

Celina to Stoke on 12:32 - Jul 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

You keep ignoring/forgetting/avoiding the fact that he had Covid, a heart problem, and subsequently no pre-season last year.

I dispute that he doesn't track back. I've seen it several times - but also, he can't/shouldn't do it all the time.

And you keep banging on about Cambridge. Maybe he had an off day. Maybe he had a niggle.

At the end of the day, we are very, very unlikely to get better than a fully fit Celina in this division. Whether we can afford him or not is another matter.

I don't think anybody is ignoring the COVID and lack of pre-season. But Celina was very decent at times across the season but never got noticeably stronger 7-8 months into the season as you'd expect him to once he was comfortably at full fitness. He also started games on the bench. He wasn't flogged to death.

I love Celina but I remember thinking he was our most technically gifted player with McGoldrick in the Championship and yet Celina was often on the bench with us all rowing with Mick over the chants to bring him on. If he'd been consistent at that time and worked to track back, even stubborn Mick is picking him week in week out.

If we'd never had Celina before I'd give him the benefit that it was all COVID / pre-season related. But given the above, there's also a chance it wasn't much of an issue by the business end of the season where he was no better than he had been in September / October.
Celina to Stoke on 12:36 - Jul 13 with 1197 viewsWallingford_Boy

Celina to Stoke on 12:14 - Jul 13 by BarcaBlue

No, I don't. Celina regularly put in a shift last season.

Nah, he went missing in far too many games.

Move on I say.

RIP Sir Bobby

Celina to Stoke on 12:38 - Jul 13 with 1178 viewsBobbychase

Celina to Stoke on 12:32 - Jul 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

You keep ignoring/forgetting/avoiding the fact that he had Covid, a heart problem, and subsequently no pre-season last year.

I dispute that he doesn't track back. I've seen it several times - but also, he can't/shouldn't do it all the time.

And you keep banging on about Cambridge. Maybe he had an off day. Maybe he had a niggle.

At the end of the day, we are very, very unlikely to get better than a fully fit Celina in this division. Whether we can afford him or not is another matter.

I've not ignored that at all. Doncaster, fairly early on in the season, was one of his best games. You can't then argue that games played months later - when it was possible to forget he was on the pitch - were down to him having no pre-season and a heart issue.

The reason I am "banging on" about Cambridge is that those are PRECISELY the sort of games that make the difference between finishing in the top six or not, and I want my highest-paid and probably most gifted player to be the difference in those. He wasn't.

It's very simple. I'd love us to sign him. Has he shown so far - in both his spells - that he is worth making our highest-paid player? It's not cut and dried for me. He played in the 0-0 v Burton at home that many say was the worst game under Mick. He goes missing sometimes.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Celina to Stoke on 12:48 - Jul 13 with 1121 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Celina to Stoke on 12:31 - Jul 13 by STYG

Exactly. That's what top players do.

Look at Marcus Stewart. Scored at Barnsley on his debut against a promotion rival. Does the same against Huddersfield. Had a dry spell and then a double in the playoffs. A goal at Wembley. In the games he didn't score he still played a bit part in some needed wins.

He was one we signed and all went 'proven'. There was little doubt he'd be a top player.

That's what our highest paid player needs to be. Someone you just know is delivering most weeks like all of the top players do.

Yeah but we're in League 1. The top players in League 1 are going to have their flaws, otherwise they wouldn't be in League 1. Celina isn't perfect but he's very good for this level and I can't see us getting better in all honesty.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Celina to Stoke on 12:52 - Jul 13 with 1090 viewsBobbychase

Celina to Stoke on 12:48 - Jul 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yeah but we're in League 1. The top players in League 1 are going to have their flaws, otherwise they wouldn't be in League 1. Celina isn't perfect but he's very good for this level and I can't see us getting better in all honesty.

As someone else said higher up, the best players in any division turn up most weeks. Doesn't matter which level you are at. They are the ones that make the difference.

"It's only League One" is a lazy excuse for an incredibly talented player sometimes doing nothing for an entire half.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Celina to Stoke on 12:53 - Jul 13 with 1089 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Celina to Stoke on 12:36 - Jul 13 by STYG

I don't think anybody is ignoring the COVID and lack of pre-season. But Celina was very decent at times across the season but never got noticeably stronger 7-8 months into the season as you'd expect him to once he was comfortably at full fitness. He also started games on the bench. He wasn't flogged to death.

I love Celina but I remember thinking he was our most technically gifted player with McGoldrick in the Championship and yet Celina was often on the bench with us all rowing with Mick over the chants to bring him on. If he'd been consistent at that time and worked to track back, even stubborn Mick is picking him week in week out.

If we'd never had Celina before I'd give him the benefit that it was all COVID / pre-season related. But given the above, there's also a chance it wasn't much of an issue by the business end of the season where he was no better than he had been in September / October.

Pre-season doesn't work like that. You can't just catch up.

Mick is/was the sort of manager who prefers hard graft over skill anyway. I think a fully fit Celina under McKenna would be a different kettle of fish.

Celina to Stoke on 12:57 - Jul 13 with 1071 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Celina to Stoke on 12:38 - Jul 13 by Bobbychase

I've not ignored that at all. Doncaster, fairly early on in the season, was one of his best games. You can't then argue that games played months later - when it was possible to forget he was on the pitch - were down to him having no pre-season and a heart issue.

The reason I am "banging on" about Cambridge is that those are PRECISELY the sort of games that make the difference between finishing in the top six or not, and I want my highest-paid and probably most gifted player to be the difference in those. He wasn't.

It's very simple. I'd love us to sign him. Has he shown so far - in both his spells - that he is worth making our highest-paid player? It's not cut and dried for me. He played in the 0-0 v Burton at home that many say was the worst game under Mick. He goes missing sometimes.

No he destroyed Doncaster because Doncaster were cack.

As I said, Cambridge was one game. There are all manner of reasons why he - and indeed the rest of the team - just don't show up sometimes. There simply isn't a League 1 player who destroys the opposition every game.

Whether he'd be our highest paid player or not is not something we as fans need to worry about.

Celina to Stoke on 13:00 - Jul 13 with 1040 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Celina to Stoke on 12:52 - Jul 13 by Bobbychase

As someone else said higher up, the best players in any division turn up most weeks. Doesn't matter which level you are at. They are the ones that make the difference.

"It's only League One" is a lazy excuse for an incredibly talented player sometimes doing nothing for an entire half.

And as I said higher up, he had Covid, a heart problem, and no pre-season. Maybe without those issues he would be one of the best players in any division who turns up most weeks.

If you're comparing Celina with the best players in the division last season you're not being fair. That's apart from other factors such as how the team around them is performing, the change of manager etc.

Login to get fewer ads

Celina to Stoke on 13:06 - Jul 13 with 1020 viewshype313

We finished 11th in the 3rd division with Celina playing the majority of games.

Not sure blowing the budget on him is a wise idea, IF that's the issue.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Celina to Stoke on 13:09 - Jul 13 with 1007 viewsGarv

Celina to Stoke on 12:53 - Jul 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

Pre-season doesn't work like that. You can't just catch up.

Mick is/was the sort of manager who prefers hard graft over skill anyway. I think a fully fit Celina under McKenna would be a different kettle of fish.

Celina proved to be McKenna's go-to player in the 10 position from around Feb onwards. Chaplin and Aluko rotated but Celina was basically ever-present.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Celina to Stoke on 13:11 - Jul 13 with 996 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Celina to Stoke on 13:06 - Jul 13 by hype313

We finished 11th in the 3rd division with Celina playing the majority of games.

Not sure blowing the budget on him is a wise idea, IF that's the issue.

Yeah it's all Celina's fault.

Celina to Stoke on 13:13 - Jul 13 with 991 viewshype313

Celina to Stoke on 13:11 - Jul 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yeah it's all Celina's fault.

Where did I say that?

Celina to Stoke on 13:14 - Jul 13 with 984 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Celina to Stoke on 13:13 - Jul 13 by hype313

Where did I say that?

You implied it.

Celina to Stoke on 13:15 - Jul 13 with 980 viewstractorboy1978

Celina to Stoke on 10:48 - Jul 13 by abracaDOBRA_

All i'll say is celina is still hoping we make a last min push for him , he wants to be here. But got to put himself first if we are messing about.

I'll personally be really disappointed if we don't sign him. Speaks volumes that a solid Championship club want him - it would be a coup for us despite a lot of what has been said in this thread. Judging from his Dad's reactions on Twitter, he and his family want him to be here. I've heard from a couple of people we aren't being all that decisive and there are one or two other players in mind - I hope we know what we are doing.
Celina to Stoke on 13:17 - Jul 13 with 965 viewshype313

Celina to Stoke on 13:14 - Jul 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

You implied it.

Give over.

That's exactly the same thing you kick off and wet the bed about everyday.

Either that or you can't read.

Celina to Stoke on 13:20 - Jul 13 with 946 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Celina to Stoke on 13:15 - Jul 13 by tractorboy1978

I'll personally be really disappointed if we don't sign him. Speaks volumes that a solid Championship club want him - it would be a coup for us despite a lot of what has been said in this thread. Judging from his Dad's reactions on Twitter, he and his family want him to be here. I've heard from a couple of people we aren't being all that decisive and there are one or two other players in mind - I hope we know what we are doing.

That's a very good point about a solid Championship club wanting him - while some on here think he's not worth getting for the league below.

Celina to Stoke on 13:22 - Jul 13 with 933 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Celina to Stoke on 13:17 - Jul 13 by hype313

Give over.

That's exactly the same thing you kick off and wet the bed about everyday.

Either that or you can't read.

WTF are you talking about?

"We finished 11th in the 3rd division with Celina playing the majority of games. Not sure blowing the budget on him is a wise idea."

If that doesn't imply he's the issue I don't know what does. There's nothing wrong with my reading skills.

Celina to Stoke on 13:24 - Jul 13 with 918 viewsBLUEBEAT

We all want him here but maybe the manager thinks we have an improving option with a fit Edwards.

Poll: W or W

Celina to Stoke on 13:38 - Jul 13 with 824 viewsitfcsuth

Celina to Stoke on 13:24 - Jul 13 by BLUEBEAT

We all want him here but maybe the manager thinks we have an improving option with a fit Edwards.

You need 2 regardless for that left sided role behind the striker, even if Edwards were fully fit.

But even Edwards himself missed a chunk of last season and has started this season with a minor injury.

Another addition is a must, of real quality as well, even if we have to move on from Celina.
Celina to Stoke on 13:39 - Jul 13 with 824 viewsclive_baker

Celina to Stoke on 12:14 - Jul 13 by BarcaBlue

No, I don't. Celina regularly put in a shift last season.

Quite. Complete myth that Celina is some sort of enigma who only shows up 1 week in 3 and doesn't track back. I would wager his running stats are right up there, he consistently performed for us last season. He's a class act, he would undoubtedly be one of the most feared at this level and rightly so. The longer it goes on the less it looks like he's coming, maybe talking him down is a defence mechanism but for me he's a quality footballer at a great age who we would be very lucky to have in our arsenal.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Celina to Stoke on 13:41 - Jul 13 with 810 viewsStokieBlue

Celina to Stoke on 12:17 - Jul 13 by STYG

Is a 'shift' worthy of being one of, if not the, best player in the any division?

I'm happy with a shift from my 5th top earner. For the main man you need consistent delivery. From an attacking main man that's got to be significant contributions not the fairly decent numbers he put up.

This is the lazy angle which is continually trotted out on here by posters who seem to think Celina should be able to do everything himself. It's utter garbage and isn't levelled at other players, the lazy trope is especially annoying as he was clearly putting in a shift once fully up to speed.

He did consistently produce chances (someone posted an xG per game around this and he was basically joint highest in the league), it's really not his fault that many of our other players consistently missed chances he setup for them. He doesn't have direct control over all his stats even though many seem to think he does. Even with those caveats he still had our best overall attacking stats per 90 minutes I believe.

If we can get Celina we should, none of us have any idea about the budget or salary, that's all assumptions. Saying we shouldn't get him as there are better options is interesting given nobody can ever say what those better options are.

What contribution would people be happy with? 20 assists? 20 goals? Unrealistic for virtually any player at any level.

Lets hope we do find someone better or god knows how harshly they will be treated.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Celina to Stoke on 13:47 - Jul 13 with 772 viewsmarkchips

Celina to Stoke on 13:41 - Jul 13 by StokieBlue

This is the lazy angle which is continually trotted out on here by posters who seem to think Celina should be able to do everything himself. It's utter garbage and isn't levelled at other players, the lazy trope is especially annoying as he was clearly putting in a shift once fully up to speed.

He did consistently produce chances (someone posted an xG per game around this and he was basically joint highest in the league), it's really not his fault that many of our other players consistently missed chances he setup for them. He doesn't have direct control over all his stats even though many seem to think he does. Even with those caveats he still had our best overall attacking stats per 90 minutes I believe.

If we can get Celina we should, none of us have any idea about the budget or salary, that's all assumptions. Saying we shouldn't get him as there are better options is interesting given nobody can ever say what those better options are.

What contribution would people be happy with? 20 assists? 20 goals? Unrealistic for virtually any player at any level.

Lets hope we do find someone better or god knows how harshly they will be treated.

SB

Think there is a lot of benefit in that he can slot straight in even with a shortened close season.

Worth breaking the wage structure- definitely not.
Celina to Stoke on 13:53 - Jul 13 with 725 viewsStokieBlue

Celina to Stoke on 13:47 - Jul 13 by markchips

Think there is a lot of benefit in that he can slot straight in even with a shortened close season.

Worth breaking the wage structure- definitely not.

How do you know what our wage structure is, whether it would be broken or what we are able to pay?

Let's see your sources.

Some of the board is stomping around for a marquee signing yet apparently breaking the alleged wage structure for one isn't allowed. Not going to get any marquee signing in any position with that mindset.

To be honest I am starting to hope he doesn't come back, the expectations from some quarters are impossible to attain.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Celina to Stoke on 13:55 - Jul 13 with 715 viewschicoazul

Celina to Stoke on 09:56 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

Sadly think you'll be right

Fuark.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Celina to Stoke on 14:00 - Jul 13 with 671 viewshype313

Celina to Stoke on 13:22 - Jul 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

WTF are you talking about?

"We finished 11th in the 3rd division with Celina playing the majority of games. Not sure blowing the budget on him is a wise idea."

If that doesn't imply he's the issue I don't know what does. There's nothing wrong with my reading skills.

Ok, if I really have to spell it out.

He was a player who was part of a collective that finished 11th in the 3rd tier. No where have I said he was completely to blame for that, nowhere, you just put your own spin on it to start a row, which we all know is your modus operandi on here, its getting quite tiresome.

I rate him, do I think he's worth breaking the bank for? Jury's out for me on that, do I think he's a gifted player? Yes of course.

There, I dont think my position shows I've made him out to be Mark Fish, equally I don't think he's peak Thijssen.

But you crack on doing you.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024