Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We will regret Celina... 13:39 - Aug 1 with 6162 viewsITFCBlues

Unless there's someone else of equal quality lined up...

For all the "dominance" we had Saturday in the 2nd half, we still only created 1 notable chance. Isn't going to cut it over the course of the season. Was much like last season in that respect....

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Point of order....4 very good chances Saturday on 14:29 - Aug 1 with 1118 viewsJ2BLUE

Point of order....4 very good chances Saturday on 14:26 - Aug 1 by homer_123

18 shots, 7 on target, shots conversion rate of just 6%.

Honestly, chances created isn't our issue.

A decent Bolton defence was our issue along with having several debutants.

Bit early for people to be saying the old problems are ongoing. Surely we need to give it longer than one game? What if we we score three in the next three league games?

Not many sides are going to be as resilient as Bolton. They ground out a point against us with a soft penalty and a great defensive performance.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Point of order....4 very good chances Saturday on 14:33 - Aug 1 with 1100 viewshomer_123

Point of order....4 very good chances Saturday on 14:29 - Aug 1 by J2BLUE

A decent Bolton defence was our issue along with having several debutants.

Bit early for people to be saying the old problems are ongoing. Surely we need to give it longer than one game? What if we we score three in the next three league games?

Not many sides are going to be as resilient as Bolton. They ground out a point against us with a soft penalty and a great defensive performance.

My reply is in relation to the OP stating '...we still only created 1 notable chance.' Which is patently untrue.

We didn't convert a number (for me 4) of very good chances Saturday. On top of that, as you say, Bolton defended well.

But the OP is wrong in their assertion we created 1 notable chance.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

We will regret Celina... on 14:38 - Aug 1 with 1078 viewsOldFart71

What's the big fuss about Celina. Yes he's a decent player. But we have loads of decent players. What we need are a few who know where those two sticks with a net in the middle are.
Point of order....4 very good chances Saturday on 14:40 - Aug 1 with 1064 viewsITFCBlues

Point of order....4 very good chances Saturday on 14:19 - Aug 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

Your OP stated we only created 1 "notable" chance. Now you're moving it to "clear cut" (which in any case those others were).

EDIT: I'd love Celina back, but we created more than enough chances to win that game. Also, we won't be playing a defence as strong as Bolton's every week.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2022 14:21]

Not moved anything. 1 notable chance and a few half chances.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Point of order....4 very good chances Saturday on 14:43 - Aug 1 with 1046 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Point of order....4 very good chances Saturday on 14:40 - Aug 1 by ITFCBlues

Not moved anything. 1 notable chance and a few half chances.

Pretty much everyone in this thread disagrees with you so I don't know why you're still determined to die on this hill. 1 notable chance is nonsense.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

We will regret Celina... on 14:44 - Aug 1 with 1050 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

If we wanted to join he wouldve joined.

We move on.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

We will regret Celina... on 14:46 - Aug 1 with 1040 viewsIllinoisblue

We will regret Celina... on 14:13 - Aug 1 by Sweetman

There's no one that we could reasonably, at this level, get who is of equal quality. That being said, I wouldn't break the bank to sign him either. Clubs got to manage it's finances.

No one? No one at all in the world of football who could come in and provide six assists and a few goals in Division 3?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

We will regret Celina... on 14:48 - Aug 1 with 1057 viewsPhilTWTD

We will regret Celina... on 14:44 - Aug 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

If we wanted to join he wouldve joined.

We move on.

Think it's more the other way around in the end. If we'd have wanted him enough then we'd have made a new approach. I thought that would be what would ultimately happen, but it seems Town lost interest for whatever reason. Was suggested to me last week that John-Jules had done better than expected in pre-season so perhaps that accounted for it.
Login to get fewer ads

We will regret Celina... on 14:53 - Aug 1 with 993 viewsnodge_blue

We will regret Celina... on 14:48 - Aug 1 by PhilTWTD

Think it's more the other way around in the end. If we'd have wanted him enough then we'd have made a new approach. I thought that would be what would ultimately happen, but it seems Town lost interest for whatever reason. Was suggested to me last week that John-Jules had done better than expected in pre-season so perhaps that accounted for it.

That makes sense. He tended to play on the left and you've now got John-Jules and Harness in that area.

I think he's a great player but you couldn't really say that last year he ripped it up for us. Plus he clearly wants top top league one wages.

We must use that money though on a striker imo - or we won't be looking at automatics.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2022 15:12]

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

We will regret Celina... on 14:53 - Aug 1 with 991 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Even better, if having seen both HM is happy with JJ then that's good enough for me.

The last thing we need is too many players for one position.

We move on.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

We will regret Celina... on 14:54 - Aug 1 with 990 viewsGarv

Big call to make if that's what swayed us not to pursue BC.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

We will regret Celina... on 14:58 - Aug 1 with 961 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

We will regret Celina... on 14:54 - Aug 1 by Garv

Big call to make if that's what swayed us not to pursue BC.

Thats his job.

We will regret Celina... on 15:01 - Aug 1 with 962 viewsjoey_itfc

Phil, with the news RE Celina, I can only see us getting a striker and that will be our business complete. Got more than enough players that can play in that 10 now. Would you agree?
We will regret Celina... on 15:01 - Aug 1 with 958 viewsBobbychase

Why would we want to sign someone who, when offered the chance to play in front of 20,000+ every week at a club with some serious ambition behind it, chooses playing in front of 2,500 in a tinpot stadium in a poor league.

We don't need a mercenary. We need committed players.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

We will regret Celina... on 15:06 - Aug 1 with 941 viewsPhilTWTD

We will regret Celina... on 15:01 - Aug 1 by joey_itfc

Phil, with the news RE Celina, I can only see us getting a striker and that will be our business complete. Got more than enough players that can play in that 10 now. Would you agree?

Could well be. Possible they could have someone more junior as an an alternative number 10 target but may well be that they're happy with what they've got.
We will regret Celina... on 15:07 - Aug 1 with 929 viewsPhilTWTD

We will regret Celina... on 15:01 - Aug 1 by Bobbychase

Why would we want to sign someone who, when offered the chance to play in front of 20,000+ every week at a club with some serious ambition behind it, chooses playing in front of 2,500 in a tinpot stadium in a poor league.

We don't need a mercenary. We need committed players.

Think that's somewhat harsh. Think he'd be here like a shot if the terms were right.
We will regret Celina... on 15:08 - Aug 1 with 922 viewsjoey_itfc

We will regret Celina... on 15:06 - Aug 1 by PhilTWTD

Could well be. Possible they could have someone more junior as an an alternative number 10 target but may well be that they're happy with what they've got.

Thanks Phil. On that note, any news on Hirst and is Bonne a real possibility?
We will regret Celina... on 15:08 - Aug 1 with 909 viewsUppaTowen78

We will regret Celina... on 15:06 - Aug 1 by PhilTWTD

Wonder if Harness was the Celina replacement in the end?
We will regret Celina... on 15:08 - Aug 1 with 907 viewsSitfcB

We will regret Celina... on 15:07 - Aug 1 by PhilTWTD

Think that's somewhat harsh. Think he'd be here like a shot if the terms were right.

Hmm, surely we weren’t way off, if money was the problem.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

We will regret Celina... on 15:09 - Aug 1 with 898 viewsPhilTWTD

We will regret Celina... on 15:08 - Aug 1 by joey_itfc

Thanks Phil. On that note, any news on Hirst and is Bonne a real possibility?

Not heard anything new on Hirst. Bonne is possible if we don't get Hirst.
We will regret Celina... on 15:12 - Aug 1 with 869 viewsBobbychase

We will regret Celina... on 15:07 - Aug 1 by PhilTWTD

Still shows a lack of ambition for me. It's not like he's even getting European football

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

We will regret Celina... on 15:48 - Aug 1 with 792 viewsDJR

I rate Celina, but we struggled to create chances last season when he featured regularly, so it's difficult to argue he is the missing piece. Let's not get too down-hearted by Saturday when we were up against a very difficult team. In my view, we will create more chances and score more goals this season because we have more players with skill and athleticism. And if we can land another top striker, that will be the icing on the cake.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2022 15:52]
Point of order....4 very good chances Saturday on 15:57 - Aug 1 with 752 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Point of order....4 very good chances Saturday on 14:19 - Aug 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

Your OP stated we only created 1 "notable" chance. Now you're moving it to "clear cut" (which in any case those others were).

EDIT: I'd love Celina back, but we created more than enough chances to win that game. Also, we won't be playing a defence as strong as Bolton's every week.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2022 14:21]

I'd love Celina back too, but bearing in mind it doesn't seem as though we have been in touch since Harness was signed, I suspect we have moved onto other targets.

Real shame, but the risk was blowing apart our wage structure.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

We will regret Celina... on 15:58 - Aug 1 with 739 viewsGarv

We will regret Celina... on 14:46 - Aug 1 by Illinoisblue

No one? No one at all in the world of football who could come in and provide six assists and a few goals in Division 3?

Was he guaranteed to have the same record two years running then?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

We will regret Celina... on 16:08 - Aug 1 with 683 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

We will regret Celina... on 14:53 - Aug 1 by nodge_blue

That makes sense. He tended to play on the left and you've now got John-Jules and Harness in that area.

I think he's a great player but you couldn't really say that last year he ripped it up for us. Plus he clearly wants top top league one wages.

We must use that money though on a striker imo - or we won't be looking at automatics.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2022 15:12]

He had Covid, a heart problem and no pre season. These are huge reasons he didn't rip it up for us.

Anyway, we move on... and if that money goes on a proven goal-getter I'll be delighted.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024