Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kenlock 11:19 - Aug 2 with 5390 viewsSharkey

Myles Kenlock is still clubless. I hope he's at least getting some worthwhile training somewhere. I suspect there are still loads and loads of players in a similar position, and it must be nerve-wracking, not knowing where you'll be working (hopefully) in the next month or so.
Kenlock on 13:44 - Aug 2 with 1286 viewsSTYG

Kenlock on 13:41 - Aug 2 by J2BLUE

Time will tell. It's a bit silly to be saying those things now but it might end up being true. Would we sign the likes of Giles Coke now? Bru? Bajner? Best?

We had a lot of dross (not including Kenlock in that) in the Championship.

Furthermore, it took us 72 games to realise Bowditch wasn't a Championship player. In that time he had some great games and flashes of brilliance that could have ended up with him going on to be a Premier League player and improving.

Kenlock is the opposite side of that coin. The more games he played, the more it was obvious he was not good enough but we were, as you say, signing some absolute dross at that time. It's not as if he was getting into a decent Town side under competent management.

The season has started and he doesn't have a club yet. That speaks a little bit I'd say.
Kenlock on 13:54 - Aug 2 with 1260 viewsWickets

Kenlock was a regular starter for PL when we had that fantastic start to life in League 1 .
Kenlock on 13:55 - Aug 2 with 1257 viewsGarv

Kenlock on 13:07 - Aug 2 by J2BLUE

I think Penney is better than Kenlock but I think the argument is that unless you can bring a player in who is a big upgrade on what you have then it's better to play someone like Kenlock.

Penney was better, IMO, but enough to show a real difference on the pitch? Not sure.

My answer to that question would be a definite yes, but we'll never know.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Kenlock on 14:01 - Aug 2 with 1240 viewsSitfcB

Kenlock on 13:41 - Aug 2 by J2BLUE

Time will tell. It's a bit silly to be saying those things now but it might end up being true. Would we sign the likes of Giles Coke now? Bru? Bajner? Best?

We had a lot of dross (not including Kenlock in that) in the Championship.

Hold up, take Bru out of that!!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Kenlock on 14:05 - Aug 2 with 1224 viewsSTYG

Kenlock on 13:54 - Aug 2 by Wickets

Kenlock was a regular starter for PL when we had that fantastic start to life in League 1 .

Colin Healy made Fabregas look like Colin Healy and Jamie Peters marked Arshavin out of the game, forcing Wenger to drag him off, before Peters disappeared from football altogether at 26/27.

Kenlock played the first 7 games, including Bolton's kids, Wimbledon, Shrewsbury, Burton and Doncaster and then had a few sub appearances but was mostly not in the squad. We weren't even that convincing in those 7 games. It's hardly the claim you think it is.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/myles-kenlock/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/3873
Kenlock on 14:06 - Aug 2 with 1216 viewsJ2BLUE

Kenlock on 14:05 - Aug 2 by STYG

Colin Healy made Fabregas look like Colin Healy and Jamie Peters marked Arshavin out of the game, forcing Wenger to drag him off, before Peters disappeared from football altogether at 26/27.

Kenlock played the first 7 games, including Bolton's kids, Wimbledon, Shrewsbury, Burton and Doncaster and then had a few sub appearances but was mostly not in the squad. We weren't even that convincing in those 7 games. It's hardly the claim you think it is.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/myles-kenlock/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/3873

Aside from the top 6 or so teams, is the league much stronger than the teams you mention?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Kenlock on 14:10 - Aug 2 with 1207 viewsSTYG

Kenlock on 14:06 - Aug 2 by J2BLUE

Aside from the top 6 or so teams, is the league much stronger than the teams you mention?

Kenlock played 7 games in which we were decent in two halves of those 7 matches and as soon as teams worked out we were nothing to be scared of and got physical we were atrocious for the rest of the season (Kenlock was barely involve so shares no blame there).

I'm just saying that I don't think he was good then. He couldn't tackle, was regularly out of position, got forward well but didn't do anything with the ball. Didn't score or assist (Norwood at Hull aside from what I recall).

Garbutt came in and was absolutely miles better despite people saying he was poor defensively as well. He at least offered a set piece threat or put in some decent crosses.
Kenlock on 14:50 - Aug 2 with 1156 viewsWickets

Kenlock on 14:05 - Aug 2 by STYG

My point was meant to illustrate that surely Miles can find a club in league 2 or the National league .
Login to get fewer ads

Kenlock on 15:01 - Aug 2 with 1131 viewsxrayspecs

I have always had the impression that MK was a reluctant footballer and I would not be surprised if he dropped out of professional football. Hw would not have been a top earner at Town so a career outside of playing football may appeal to him more.
Kenlock on 15:09 - Aug 2 with 1119 viewsSTYG

Kenlock on 14:50 - Aug 2 by Wickets

My point was meant to illustrate that surely Miles can find a club in league 2 or the National league .

You'd imagine so if he wants one.

Off the back of being here last season, on loan in League Two, you'd imagine someone would take a punt at the very least.
Kenlock on 15:53 - Aug 2 with 1082 viewsitfcjoe

Kenlock on 12:59 - Aug 2 by Garv

MK perfectly adequate back up, really?

Penney played 22 games last season, not including the games he should have played when Clements somehow got in. Kenlock playing those games would've weakened us, simple as that.

Well he didn't play those games because the manager was so infuriated with his performances he dropped him, the interim managers then played Donacien and KVY at left back and then the new manager signed Dominic Thompson as soon as he could.

And what would have happened had we played Kenlock? Picked up a couple less points and still finished 11th at worst

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Kenlock on 15:57 - Aug 2 with 1053 viewsitfcjoe

Kenlock on 13:14 - Aug 2 by STYG

I'd respectfully disagree. I know where you are coming from, but ability wise I wouldn't even rate Kenlock as a League One back up.

He's one of the worst players in terms of ability that I've seen in a Town shirt. He worked hard, tried and gave it a good go but I honestly can't think of many players We have ever had who have been worse.

You could make a case for Best (but he was once a decent player) or Malarcyk (who looked competent against Man Utd) or Skard for example. But Kenlock's ability for me, over a reasonable number of games, is way off.

I appreciate this will be unpopular and professional football managers have played him 50-100 times so you could make a very strong case for me talking nonsense. But I'd say our resources, lack of transfer spend and the positions of need played a huge part in him getting way more games than his actual talent merited.

As I say, he's probably a lovely guy, but I see him as a Conference standard full back at best and would expect that he will hover around there / Conference South now rather than spend the majority of his career in the EFL. I hope I'm wrong.

Remember we are compating Myles Kenlock here with Matt Penney, not Aaron Cresswell or Tyrone Mings.

We've basically given a bang average player a 2 year contract for nothing - when MK was already under contract. If Kenlock was out of contract he'd have been released and no one would have worried, but he had a year left on his deal which we got no value on, and now the same will happen with penney this year.

Also the majority of Kenlock's league appearances were in the Championship under Mick McCarthy and Paul Lambert, both managers experienced at that level who gave him new contracts

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Kenlock on 16:09 - Aug 2 with 1022 viewsMullet

Kenlock on 15:57 - Aug 2 by itfcjoe

Remember we are compating Myles Kenlock here with Matt Penney, not Aaron Cresswell or Tyrone Mings.

We've basically given a bang average player a 2 year contract for nothing - when MK was already under contract. If Kenlock was out of contract he'd have been released and no one would have worried, but he had a year left on his deal which we got no value on, and now the same will happen with penney this year.

Also the majority of Kenlock's league appearances were in the Championship under Mick McCarthy and Paul Lambert, both managers experienced at that level who gave him new contracts

I was never his biggest fan thanks to his ability to get caught over the top, but it's ironic he'd probably do well in this team.

He was always a wingback and has decent experience and pedigree. He will definitely find a club, people seem to forget there's a bottleneck because the top of the game are not moving players on so quickly due to the early start/World cup etc.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Kenlock on 17:44 - Aug 2 with 932 viewsSharkey

Of all the downvotes I’ve ever got for my posts, the ones I’ve picked up here for the OP have surprised me the most.
Kenlock on 17:52 - Aug 2 with 902 viewsjeera

Kenlock on 17:44 - Aug 2 by Sharkey

Of all the downvotes I’ve ever got for my posts, the ones I’ve picked up here for the OP have surprised me the most.

Your OP seems to simply note that Kenlock is currently without a club.

Someone's seen it and panicked thinking you're suggesting we take him back at Town.

We don't have the brightest I'm afraid.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Kenlock on 19:05 - Aug 2 with 859 viewsDennyx4

Yes, a little odd - no real opinion within it to get a downvote. I have evened it up for you.
Kenlock on 19:07 - Aug 2 with 860 viewsDennyx4

Kenlock on 15:57 - Aug 2 by itfcjoe

I dont think it is necessarily the wrong thing to do with Kenlock. If it was felt he wasn't good enough, you would look to replace.

The fact that Penney has not been any better, doesn't mean the decision to not keep/play Myles was the wrong one.
Kenlock on 20:13 - Aug 2 with 805 viewsSharkey

Kenlock on 19:05 - Aug 2 by Dennyx4

Yes, a little odd - no real opinion within it to get a downvote. I have evened it up for you.

Thanks! My point really was that the season has started ( though not in the National League ) and there are still loads of players in limbo,( some probably doing a bit of brinkmanship.)
It’s not about Myles Kenlock in particular, but I do wonder how players prepare for the season while they’re clubless.
Kenlock on 20:40 - Aug 2 with 789 viewstextbackup

Kenlock on 11:21 - Aug 2 by FrimleyBlue

Strange situation with Kenlock

Loads of champ appearances. Wasn't great. Wasn't awful.. I'm surprised we haven't seen him at a forest green for example.

Wasn’t great
Was frequently almost awful

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Kenlock on 20:43 - Aug 2 with 788 viewsSteve_M

Those two are the Dave Us off football posts.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Kenlock on 21:25 - Aug 2 with 759 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Kenlock on 11:57 - Aug 2 by itfcjoe

We'd have been better off keeping him than signing Penney.

We paid both their wages last year with MK not even registered for half the season, and now this year we are going to pay Penney's wages for nothing as well.

This was the stupid part of the 'demolition job' last year, Mk was perfectly adequate as a back up LB, and we could have just let his contract expire and cover the games MP played in, at one point we had Bailey Clements struggling, MP binned off to the U23s and MK not even registered

Kenlock was dreadful and Penney was worth a punt.
Kenlock on 22:29 - Aug 2 with 701 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Kenlock on 21:25 - Aug 2 by FromReuserWithLove

Kenlock was dreadful and Penney was worth a punt.

I think the point is that Penney really wasn't. Being little/no better than Kenlock, we already had a good enough back up in the building. Instead we effectively paid double simply because Cook wanted to get rid of everyone and now have an unwanted Penney on the books for another year using up funds (unless we can move him on).

Clearly Cook thought Penney was going to be an upgrade on Kenlock but he thought that about a lot of players, back-tracked on several and took us backwards in terms of where we finished under him.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Kenlock on 09:25 - Aug 3 with 598 viewsSTYG

Kenlock on 22:29 - Aug 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think the point is that Penney really wasn't. Being little/no better than Kenlock, we already had a good enough back up in the building. Instead we effectively paid double simply because Cook wanted to get rid of everyone and now have an unwanted Penney on the books for another year using up funds (unless we can move him on).

Clearly Cook thought Penney was going to be an upgrade on Kenlock but he thought that about a lot of players, back-tracked on several and took us backwards in terms of where we finished under him.

This is just another type of the 'shouldn't have got rid of Mick because Hurst sent us down' argument. It doesn't mean getting rid of Mick was wrong.

Kenlock was nowhere near good enough. Penney was brought in to be a decent left back at League One level and has proven to not be as good as we'd hoped. If we knew he'd be at this level then we wouldn't have signed him. We knew Kenlock wasn't good enough. We hoped Penney would be. He's also not looking like he is (but still better than Kenlock for me).

You can't keep a player not good enough out of fear the replacement may also not be good enough.
Kenlock on 09:26 - Aug 3 with 597 viewsDJR

Kenlock on 22:29 - Aug 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

The impression I got with Kenlock was that he had a bit of a roasting in one of the early Cook games, and was instantly written off by Cook, but that can happen to any full back, and he was quite good going forward.
Kenlock on 10:09 - Aug 3 with 561 viewstractorshark

Kenlock was ok but nowhere near Championship level or League One for that matter.
He was extraordinarily fortunate to stay at Ipswich for so long. There was definitely a bit too much sentiment from the club and the fans for my liking.
I'm sure he is a nice guy but if he hadn't been an academy prospect, he would have been gone a long time ago.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024