Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The problem with rotation is... 09:04 - Aug 10 with 2943 viewsitfcjoe

....you sometimes have to rotate the wrong players into games.

Last night a case in point, Kayden Jackson has proven himself to be very effective under McKenna, either as a second half sub when game stretched more, or against teams that try and push on a bit and he can exploit the space in behind.

But whilst he had 'earned' a start last night and deserved one, it was a game totally not suited to his skillset and we really suffered because of it.

Harper just doesn't suit that deep lying midfield role at all, Cole Skuse on the other side was far superior and when Lee Evans came on the difference between him and Harper was absolute night and day. I'd hope/assume Humphreys or El Miz can have usurped him as 4th CM in the squad as he just looks so far off it.

A game like that really shows up Cameron Burgess as well as he just moves the ball so slowly, fine when it is kick and head it, but in most of our games we will dominate possession and need someone on there who can play the ball at the speed of the rest of the team.

For all the quality in the squad, and it is a good squad there are 4 players who are a level above for me - Walton, Edmundson, Woolfenden and Morsy - if any of the 3 outfielders mentioned are missing we just aren't the same team. Notable mentions for others like Evans, Burns and Donacien who are a long way ahead of their back ups as well.

The need for a striker is clear, Jackson will be a very useful and effective player this season, but if he has to start a run of games and we come up against sides happy to take a point (which is nearly every game at PR) then we will struggle

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The problem with rotation is... on 10:29 - Aug 10 with 832 viewsTractorTom5

The problem with rotation is... on 09:28 - Aug 10 by J2BLUE

You are a strange one. Constantly negative and go around downvoting anything remotely positive. I know it's the school holidays but try going outside.

If you read many of the comments on here, not many are pisitive
I give credit where credits due. I’m a realist and speak as I see it . It’s my opinion.
I’d love for our fans to be positive but in truth , the majority aren’t
NB: and I don’t have to be outside to comment
The problem with rotation is... on 10:31 - Aug 10 with 830 viewsTractorTom5

The problem with rotation is... on 10:14 - Aug 10 by BlueBadger

I have it on good authority that they'll only be happy when Penney leaves.

Good authority !
Uncle toms sisters friend dog walkers son haha
The problem with rotation is... on 10:39 - Aug 10 with 803 viewsPioneerBlue

I like what you say. I’m not a fan of whole XI rotation, I expect we could have used a 60 minute core then rotate those off over next coming games, there’s also no reason not to have a balance between resting and starting minutes. Last night seemed to be about starting minutes for those that will find minutes more and more hard to come by as the season goes on. KMcK may feel the squad got what it needed in competitive minutes but as a club we get the start stop momentum rather than feeling the ball continuing to gather pace.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

The problem with rotation is... on 10:42 - Aug 10 with 790 viewsDarkHorse

Some good points made in this thread.

I personally only consider Morsy and Walton to be our top-tier players though. They'd be almost impossible to replace. Evans, Burns, Woolf, Edmundson, Donacien, Aluko, Chaplin are just behind them.

Clearly highlights how much we need a good number 9 though.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 10:48]
The problem with rotation is... on 11:49 - Aug 10 with 713 viewsBlueBadger

The problem with rotation is... on 10:31 - Aug 10 by TractorTom5

Good authority !
Uncle toms sisters friend dog walkers son haha

Nah bro, it's true. I Have Contacts. They hate Penney, because he's rubbish.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The problem with rotation is... on 11:56 - Aug 10 with 682 viewsBlueBadger

The problem with rotation is... on 10:29 - Aug 10 by TractorTom5

If you read many of the comments on here, not many are pisitive
I give credit where credits due. I’m a realist and speak as I see it . It’s my opinion.
I’d love for our fans to be positive but in truth , the majority aren’t
NB: and I don’t have to be outside to comment

Tell us again how Penney is out best left back.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The problem with rotation is... on 12:00 - Aug 10 with 665 viewstextbackup

The problem with rotation is... on 09:10 - Aug 10 by GlasgowBlue

Don’t disagree with your assessment. We have fantastic like for like options to cover injuries and suspensions who will fit in our starting eleven seamlessly when required. However, that doesn’t mean a complete different eleven will be anywhere near as good as our preferred team.

Regarding Jackson, I’d start him against Mk on Saturday as that is a game that suits him and he was very effective in the away game last season.

We drew 0-0 and he missed the target with our two best chances

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The problem with rotation is... on 12:01 - Aug 10 with 670 viewspointofblue

The problem with rotation is... on 12:00 - Aug 10 by textbackup

We drew 0-0 and he missed the target with our two best chances

Yes, but you’re under the misapprehension our strikers are expected to score goals.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

The problem with rotation is... on 12:23 - Aug 10 with 646 viewsringwoodblue

‘Kayden Jackson has proven himself to be very effective under McKenna’

Err, when? Have I been asleep when he’s been banging the goals in or racking up the assists?

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

The problem with rotation is... on 12:25 - Aug 10 with 643 viewsjayessess

The problem with rotation is... on 12:23 - Aug 10 by ringwoodblue

‘Kayden Jackson has proven himself to be very effective under McKenna’

Err, when? Have I been asleep when he’s been banging the goals in or racking up the assists?

You might well have been, he sored 3 goals and made 3 assists in just 578 minutes of football last season.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The problem with rotation is... on 13:00 - Aug 10 with 596 viewsParky

I personally don’t see the benefit of shoehorning players to fit the formation Mckenna likes, especially in cup games.

We had Kyle Edwards playing wing-back, Vincent-Young as a centre-back, Chaplin, Harness and John-Jules are not attacking midfielders.

If it works in the league and gets us promotion then fair play, but looking at last night, that formation didn’t suit the team McKenna selected in the slightest.
The problem with rotation is... on 13:04 - Aug 10 with 587 viewsParky

The problem with rotation is... on 12:25 - Aug 10 by jayessess

You might well have been, he sored 3 goals and made 3 assists in just 578 minutes of football last season.

Easy to pick and choose stats like that to support any argument though. ie, he’s scored 18 goals in 125 league appearances for us.
The problem with rotation is... on 13:07 - Aug 10 with 573 viewsjayessess

The problem with rotation is... on 13:04 - Aug 10 by Parky

Easy to pick and choose stats like that to support any argument though. ie, he’s scored 18 goals in 125 league appearances for us.

The parameters for the stats were established in the post I'm replying to!

The problem with rotation is... on 13:14 - Aug 10 with 533 viewsParky

The problem with rotation is... on 13:07 - Aug 10 by jayessess

The parameters for the stats were established in the post I'm replying to!

In the same parameters, he’s scored 3 goals in 15 games. 1 goal every 5 games, is that “very effective”? I don’t think so.
The problem with rotation is... on 13:18 - Aug 10 with 515 viewscbower

The problem with rotation is... on 09:56 - Aug 10 by PhilTWTD

For me Jackson has only been effective under KMc when playing in one of the wide roles in the front three, I just don't think he can play as the number nine, so it wasn't really a surprise when he was switched with John-Jules in the first half yesterday.

We obviously need another number nine but just the general failure to take chances from all around the pitch is perhaps a more significant issue, Leigh and Humphreys were the two biggest culprits yesterday.

Entirely agree re Jackson. Wide in a front three he's ok. Central he's poor. At the moment near enough all our eggs up top are 8n the basket marked Ladapo. He's good enough imo but he's not going to play 46 games.

bluescouser

The problem with rotation is... on 13:33 - Aug 10 with 463 viewsITFCBlues

Agree with most of this aside from Burgess and even Wolf. Wolf wasn't missed Saturday and Burgess proved a more than adequate replacement.

Certainly need improvements in CM area and forward areas. We're certainly weaker in forward areas than last season currently and we've got to recruit there or it'll be another season in this division

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

The problem with rotation is... on 13:35 - Aug 10 with 451 viewsTrumptonBlue

The problem with rotation is... on 13:04 - Aug 10 by Parky

Not quite. 18 goals in 61 league starts and 46 sub appearances.
The problem with rotation is... on 13:36 - Aug 10 with 446 viewsjayessess

The problem with rotation is... on 13:14 - Aug 10 by Parky

In the same parameters, he’s scored 3 goals in 15 games. 1 goal every 5 games, is that “very effective”? I don’t think so.

"Err, when? Have I been asleep when he’s been banging the goals in or racking up the assists?"

Again, it's the numbers provided for Jackson's most recent season. It's the most straightforward answer to the question as posed possible, how is it "picking and choosing"?

You don't have to rate Jackson because of it if you don't want (It's a small sample size! He has underlying flaws that are obvious to all!), doesn't make it any less factually correct.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 13:36]

The problem with rotation is... on 13:37 - Aug 10 with 443 viewsPhilTWTD

The problem with rotation is... on 13:18 - Aug 10 by cbower

Entirely agree re Jackson. Wide in a front three he's ok. Central he's poor. At the moment near enough all our eggs up top are 8n the basket marked Ladapo. He's good enough imo but he's not going to play 46 games.

John-Jules is another option and I think could emerge as the regular number nine. Think he's been the best of the summer signings so far, although had a quieter game last night.
The problem with rotation is... on 13:39 - Aug 10 with 418 viewsVic

I'm OK with rotation, to a degree. I just don;t get changing the whole tea; put in 5 at most, and bring five fresh faces onto the bench. That keeps the core of things the same and helps continuity.
I read what people say about injuries, but that's part and parcel of things. A cup run would do wonders for moral.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

The problem with rotation is... on 13:40 - Aug 10 with 414 viewsjayessess

The problem with rotation is... on 13:33 - Aug 10 by ITFCBlues

Agree with most of this aside from Burgess and even Wolf. Wolf wasn't missed Saturday and Burgess proved a more than adequate replacement.

Certainly need improvements in CM area and forward areas. We're certainly weaker in forward areas than last season currently and we've got to recruit there or it'll be another season in this division

Disagree on Woolf not being missed on Saturday. We gave up nothing at all from open play against a pretty potent Bolton attack. Against a far more limited Forest Green team, we coughed up 5 good sights at goal and nearly a red card.

The problem with rotation is... on 13:58 - Aug 10 with 388 viewslongtimefan

The problem with rotation is... on 13:37 - Aug 10 by PhilTWTD

John-Jules is another option and I think could emerge as the regular number nine. Think he's been the best of the summer signings so far, although had a quieter game last night.

I've been really impressed by him when he's come on in the league games and was looking forward to seeing what he would do starting the game. Unfortunately I thought he looked a shadow of the player coming on as a sub and was very poor throughout last night. Disappointing.
The problem with rotation is... on 14:07 - Aug 10 with 375 viewsnorfsufblue

The problem with rotation is... on 09:24 - Aug 10 by Guthrum

I still think the lack of a decent reserve competition in England does not help. Managers use cup games to keep their replacement/fringe/youth players sharp and to "reward" them for working hard in training. When else are they going to be able to?

Absolutely this..... and when there was a decent reserve league you had to earn your place in that too as a youth..... I was always quite proud if seeing them up the top of the Football Combination and the youths doing well in the south east counties
The problem with rotation is... on 14:26 - Aug 10 with 348 viewsVaughan8

The problem with rotation is... on 12:25 - Aug 10 by jayessess

You've got some love for Jackson I must say. I'm sure you've said this facts before.

OK, but that isn't over a sustained period like a season.

If anyone thinks Jackson is the answer, then the questions isn't who is going to score the goals to take us up.
The problem with rotation is... on 14:32 - Aug 10 with 327 viewsTractorTom5

The problem with rotation is... on 11:49 - Aug 10 by BlueBadger

Nah bro, it's true. I Have Contacts. They hate Penney, because he's rubbish.

And I have it on good authority he had an excellent pre season
How can he be assessed as rubbish if he’s not played!
Another not given a chance
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024