Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Energy costs with EON 14:44 - Aug 11 with 4640 viewsBrentwoodBlagger2

We have just been notified that our new monthly direct debit for gas and electric will rise from £300 per month to £1100 per month. We have a relatively large detached house, but we are economic with energy use and have a log burner. With usual monthly outgoings, I cannot see how they expect people to cope with this. Difficult times are ahead and energy bosses have rejected the approach today from the government for consumer help.
Energy costs with EON on 14:50 - Aug 11 with 2405 viewsStokieBlue

Did they give you a breakdown of that increase?

Don't see how they can justify a 350% increase, possibly an error?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Energy costs with EON on 14:51 - Aug 11 with 2395 viewsgeg1992

Surely that's an error?

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Energy costs with EON on 14:54 - Aug 11 with 2383 viewsBrentwoodBlagger2

Energy costs with EON on 14:50 - Aug 11 by StokieBlue

Did they give you a breakdown of that increase?

Don't see how they can justify a 350% increase, possibly an error?

SB

Yes they gave a breakdown. Basically standing daily charges have doubled and unit costs for gas and electric have at least trebled. The guy on the phone from EON claimed that it will increase again in January 2023. other companies have provided similar estimates...
Energy costs with EON on 14:54 - Aug 11 with 2370 viewsFtnfwest

I'm in a 4 bed detached and our gas recently increased from £48/month to £94/month although that was a payment in figure on a statement for July, not before that and they haven't confirmed if that's the new monthly tariff yet or just a correction for a couple of months underpayment (i'm expecting the former). Haven't had a prediction for future rises yet. Elec about £83/month at moment but about to be hit i expect.
Energy costs with EON on 14:55 - Aug 11 with 2354 viewshype313

Average in January is looking like £570 a month, just can't see how anyone will be able to afford it.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Energy costs with EON on 14:57 - Aug 11 with 2340 viewsjaykay

i'm with eon to .the thing i can't make it is they say all their electric is renewable , so is the sun and wind charging us more. or is renewable a loose term they can use

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Energy costs with EON on 14:57 - Aug 11 with 2336 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Wow. That’s terrifying.

Lots of asset rich, cash poor people will struggle too won’t they. Not saying that’s you of course but just making the general point.
Energy costs with EON on 14:57 - Aug 11 with 2340 viewsElderGrizzly

As it’s direct debit you can ask them to put it back down and they have no choice.

BBC covered it this morning,
Login to get fewer ads

Energy costs with EON on 14:58 - Aug 11 with 2335 viewshype313

Energy costs with EON on 14:54 - Aug 11 by Ftnfwest

I'm in a 4 bed detached and our gas recently increased from £48/month to £94/month although that was a payment in figure on a statement for July, not before that and they haven't confirmed if that's the new monthly tariff yet or just a correction for a couple of months underpayment (i'm expecting the former). Haven't had a prediction for future rises yet. Elec about £83/month at moment but about to be hit i expect.

I'm paying £220 and have been since march, dread to think what October will bring.

Energy costs with EON on 14:58 - Aug 11 with 2328 viewsgeg1992

Energy costs with EON on 14:57 - Aug 11 by jaykay

i'm with eon to .the thing i can't make it is they say all their electric is renewable , so is the sun and wind charging us more. or is renewable a loose term they can use

Market price I guess is the justification? Another company making crazy profits...

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Energy costs with EON on 14:59 - Aug 11 with 2320 viewsElderGrizzly

Energy costs with EON on 14:57 - Aug 11 by jaykay

The way price of electricity is set (stupidly) doesn’t care how its generated.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/jan/22/energy-bills-i-got-a-green-deal-so

It’s another part of our broken system
[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 15:01]
Energy costs with EON on 14:59 - Aug 11 with 2316 viewsStokieBlue

Energy costs with EON on 14:55 - Aug 11 by hype313

Average in January is looking like £570 a month, just can't see how anyone will be able to afford it.

It's going to be extremely difficult for many and yet here we are with the probable next PM more bothered about cutting taxes than helping people light and heat their homes.

A surprising number of people seem to be happy enough with that behaviour though.

SB

Energy costs with EON on 15:01 - Aug 11 with 2298 viewsKieran_Knows

I'm baffled as to why British Gas have reduced mine and my partners bill each month? We went from £57 a month, to £160 a month (from March) and they emailed the other day saying from next month it will be £140 a month.

Lulling us in to a false sense of security before we get stung in October maybe?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Energy costs with EON on 15:04 - Aug 11 with 2257 viewshype313

Energy costs with EON on 14:59 - Aug 11 by StokieBlue

It's going to be extremely difficult for many and yet here we are with the probable next PM more bothered about cutting taxes than helping people light and heat their homes.

A surprising number of people seem to be happy enough with that behaviour though.

SB

Think we are not far away from civil unrest in all honesty, bills haven't hit the mats/emails yet, the sun is shining and people are just trying to get through the summer holidays, once the reality hits, I'm afraid we are facing a very long, nasty winter of discontent.

Energy costs with EON on 15:04 - Aug 11 with 2257 viewsSaleAway

have you just come to the end of a fixed deal? If you were paying £300 per month on a fixed rate, then I can see how they might have got to that sort of figure ( For comparison, my rate went from 100 to 183, and I'm expecting it to go up again with the cap. However if I look to fix it, they are estimating it at over £400 per month, so that's in a similar ballpark to you, in terms of percentage increase.

My bigger question to you, is how you are using that much energy? You say a relatively large detached house, and that you are efficient, but those figures don't suggest that you are. I'd be looking at ways to reduce your usage as much as anything.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Energy costs with EON on 15:06 - Aug 11 with 2224 viewsElderGrizzly

Energy costs with EON on 15:04 - Aug 11 by hype313

Think we are not far away from civil unrest in all honesty, bills haven't hit the mats/emails yet, the sun is shining and people are just trying to get through the summer holidays, once the reality hits, I'm afraid we are facing a very long, nasty winter of discontent.

Don’t worry, Boris has urged profit making companies to make less profit

Energy costs with EON on 15:07 - Aug 11 with 2210 viewsemergencylime

Energy costs with EON on 14:59 - Aug 11 by ElderGrizzly

The way price of electricity is set (stupidly) doesn’t care how its generated.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/jan/22/energy-bills-i-got-a-green-deal-so

It’s another part of our broken system

Ya. Octopus tried to explain it in Twitter today

Poll: Another Tragical Vegas poll. Would you rather?

Energy costs with EON on 15:08 - Aug 11 with 2191 viewsStokieBlue

I would think it's inevitable unless something drastic changes.

The French took matters into their own hands and nationalised EDF last month, it's the obvious solution but many are very much against it.

SB

Energy costs with EON on 15:08 - Aug 11 with 2188 viewsElderGrizzly

August 26th is ‘cap day’.

Just before the bank holiday weekend, so I do think we are going to see significant protests
Energy costs with EON on 15:13 - Aug 11 with 2141 viewsstringy

I am usually based in Canada where we can heat a three bedroomed house (thermostat to 72 or so) in the height of winter - when it can be 20 below outside - for less than ₤100 a month.

This year we've been based in central Ipswich on my sabbatical; when we signed up with British Gas (or continued the previous tenants' deal) we were given an annual estimate of ₤900 given the size of flat and that there were two of us.

September was fine, used the wall heaters rarely if at all; October got chiller and we used the thermostat (can't recall base temp) and when we received our first bi-monthly bill it was ₤600!!!

We never used the heaters again; socks and pjs in bed, blankets on the sofa etc. We also switched to a monthly bill to keep a closer eye on things.

Ridiculous cost, and now it will get even more expensive - as much as I will miss my time here (back to teaching Sept. 1st) I won't miss the utility bills - we're being screwed big time over here
Energy costs with EON on 15:14 - Aug 11 with 2137 viewsTrequartista

You would think the public would not put up with this and there would be civil unrest etc. But I can't really think of anything that's been defeated by civil unrest since the poll tax. There's been some government u-turns, but only over relatively minor things.

To me it's ridiculous that this could be allowed to happen, and I hope it is enough to create civil unrest enough for it not to happen.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 15:14]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Energy costs with EON on 15:14 - Aug 11 with 2129 viewsMullet

Energy costs with EON on 15:08 - Aug 11 by StokieBlue

I would think it's inevitable unless something drastic changes.

The French took matters into their own hands and nationalised EDF last month, it's the obvious solution but many are very much against it.

SB

To be fair our lords and masters haven't learnt about the sting of the guillotine - theirs did generations ago. Hmmmmm.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Energy costs with EON on 15:17 - Aug 11 with 2119 viewsDeano69

That's not remotely achievable or sustainable, no one could afford an additional £10k a year for absolutely nothing

How about every household in the country cancels its direct debit, surely there is no way they could cut off millions of households nor take them all to court for non-payment?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Energy costs with EON on 15:22 - Aug 11 with 2050 viewsBrentwoodBlagger2

Energy costs with EON on 15:04 - Aug 11 by SaleAway

have you just come to the end of a fixed deal? If you were paying £300 per month on a fixed rate, then I can see how they might have got to that sort of figure ( For comparison, my rate went from 100 to 183, and I'm expecting it to go up again with the cap. However if I look to fix it, they are estimating it at over £400 per month, so that's in a similar ballpark to you, in terms of percentage increase.

My bigger question to you, is how you are using that much energy? You say a relatively large detached house, and that you are efficient, but those figures don't suggest that you are. I'd be looking at ways to reduce your usage as much as anything.

To be honest we are trying to be efficient, using LED's for all lighting, heating not been on for 3 months, only have the usual domestic appliances, shower not bath and we are currently £1000 in credit with EON. I despair.
Energy costs with EON on 15:30 - Aug 11 with 1948 viewsclive_baker

I don't understand how th average is likely to be £570 a month. Is that just Gas or Gas + Electric. Even if it's both, it feels remarkaby high as an average fuel cost.

I would be really interested to see what people are paying now by way of a £ per KWH and their average monthly usage. I've been averaging 220 KWH of Gas per month (at 7.4p / KWH), and 180 of Electric (at 29.3p / KWH). Then there's a fixed element which is about £10 on each. So my total bill is circa £90 a month. There's 2 adults, a toddler and a baby in my househould, which is probably above average in footprint. Is my house just ridiculously efficient or maybe it's an error and I'm going to be whacked with a big bill. I'm on the EDF standard variable rate so it's not like my £ per unit is based on old fixed rates or anything.

EDIT: This is an average since April, so obviously heating hasn't been on and that will of course increase usage over winter.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 15:32]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024