Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... 15:23 - Aug 16 with 1808 viewsDubtractor

Saw this and thought I'd share.....surely all of us accept this is the case now, regardless of whether we are vegan or meat eaters?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/aug/16/england-must-reduce-meat-dai

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 15:28 - Aug 16 with 1354 viewsMullet

Should be massive disincentives on factory farming and BS classifications that if they open a window the meat is now "free range" etc.

Of course this hits the poorest the hardest though, but the system of production and culture of lean cuts in plastic wrap and not eating the whole animal needs changing.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 15:29 - Aug 16 with 1341 viewsjeera

The drive has to come from an angle where people eat less meat because they believe it's good for them on a personal level; their own health, pocket etc.

Generally speaking we're pretty selfish and even when we do believe in something we tend to leave it to others to do the good bits on our behalf.

If we think there's something in it for us we're more likely to comply.

That's how I see it anyway.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 15:30 - Aug 16 with 1335 viewsgeg1992

Although I love meat and would never give it up, we have reduced our meat intake by a lot.

We've gone from having it every day to 2-3 times a week. The cost of living crisis and saving for a house has helped that, though.

I'm sure most people could cut 30% of meat from their diet quite easily.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 15:30 - Aug 16 with 1328 viewslowhouseblue

clearly true. a 30% reduction seems modest.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 15:32 - Aug 16 with 1314 viewsDarth_Koont

Yep. Beef especially and dairy farming are ridiculously wasteful. Local or organic makes no real difference in terms of the amount of water and energy cattle need.

Pronouns: He/Him

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 15:48 - Aug 16 with 1222 viewsWickhamsLeftBoot

Switched to a vegetarian diet two years ago and feel much better physically and mentally. Even if it’s one/two non-meat meals a week, it’s still better than nothing.
Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 15:50 - Aug 16 with 1202 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Homo Sapiens evolved from primates with 400cc brains to where we are today by eating meat. If we all become vegan, in a generation we will all be monkeys again.

Poll: would you rather

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 15:53 - Aug 16 with 1188 viewsJ2BLUE

The environmental advantages that come from choosing something like lentils/chickpeas over meat are huge.

Less water
Less land
Less greenhouse gases
Replenishes the soil which is badly needed around the world

It's such an open goal.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 15:54 - Aug 16 with 1185 viewsRozz

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 15:50 - Aug 16 by LegendofthePhoenix

Homo Sapiens evolved from primates with 400cc brains to where we are today by eating meat. If we all become vegan, in a generation we will all be monkeys again.

...some are closer than others already it would appear.
Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 15:56 - Aug 16 with 1170 viewsJ2BLUE

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 15:50 - Aug 16 by LegendofthePhoenix

That idea has been challenged pretty convincingly.

Truly impaired.

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:03 - Aug 16 with 1144 viewsclive_baker

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 15:32 - Aug 16 by Darth_Koont

Yep. Beef especially and dairy farming are ridiculously wasteful. Local or organic makes no real difference in terms of the amount of water and energy cattle need.

Would agree with that, not all meat is born equal innit.

I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've eaten beef, pork or lamb in the past 3 years. I have meat or fish 2 or 3 times per week and when I do it's either got 2 legs or none. It's a very hard thing to cut out completely, but not a hard thing to cut down significantly IMO, or make more sensible choices.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:07 - Aug 16 with 1118 viewsDanTheMan

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:03 - Aug 16 by clive_baker

Would agree with that, not all meat is born equal innit.

I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've eaten beef, pork or lamb in the past 3 years. I have meat or fish 2 or 3 times per week and when I do it's either got 2 legs or none. It's a very hard thing to cut out completely, but not a hard thing to cut down significantly IMO, or make more sensible choices.

I'm not quite there right now, but definitely cut down on them and especially the worst offenders.

We did try doing vegan once but with my partner being celiac it does offer a fairly boring diet outside of just repeating meals constantly.

Everyone just needs to reduce and get over themselves when it comes to things like tofu, chickpeas etc.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:07 - Aug 16 with 1112 viewsJ2BLUE

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:07 - Aug 16 by DanTheMan

I'm not quite there right now, but definitely cut down on them and especially the worst offenders.

We did try doing vegan once but with my partner being celiac it does offer a fairly boring diet outside of just repeating meals constantly.

Everyone just needs to reduce and get over themselves when it comes to things like tofu, chickpeas etc.

I am yet to brave tofu.

Truly impaired.

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:10 - Aug 16 with 1097 viewsDanTheMan

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:07 - Aug 16 by J2BLUE

I am yet to brave tofu.

I mean you can do quite a bit with it. We've put it in soups (silken stuff) and that works pretty well.

The really firm stuff is great with a bit of prep, can get it really crispy and it soaks up flavour really well so good as a chicken substitute for things like wraps.

Here is a decent starting point for the chicken stuff
[Post edited 16 Aug 2022 16:11]

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:11 - Aug 16 with 1079 viewsJ2BLUE

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:10 - Aug 16 by DanTheMan

I mean you can do quite a bit with it. We've put it in soups (silken stuff) and that works pretty well.

The really firm stuff is great with a bit of prep, can get it really crispy and it soaks up flavour really well so good as a chicken substitute for things like wraps.

Nice, cheers. I'll give it a go.

Truly impaired.

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:13 - Aug 16 with 1069 viewsclive_baker

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:07 - Aug 16 by DanTheMan

That's good that you've cut down, and yes people do have dietry considerations which make things harder. I went fully Vegan for a year about a decade ago and it was hard. Probably easier now given there's more choice, but the thing about veganism is it's a lifestyle choice that is way broader than diet, and requires some thought. Like shopping for a belt or shoes needs thought.

A plant based diet is easier, and vegetarianism is easier still as you're not limiting dairy. We all know if there's meat in something or not, it's a very easy thing to do for the most part. I personally think we shouldn't let perfection become the enemy of progress, if people can cut down thats a very good start. We don't all need to be vegan tomorrow.

There's also a cost benefit. So many dishes really dont miss the meat and are significantly cheaper to make.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2022 16:14]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:17 - Aug 16 with 1041 viewshype313

The way prices are going think we will all be forced into being vegetarian, which isn't a bad thing per se, prices will dictate how people will shop and currently meat is one of the most expensive things in the trolley.

Personally I'd like to think people can have the choice, rather than get vegetarianism rammed down their throat like a Jehovah witness on steriods.

A more, reasoned, calmer debate is needed, educate people on why it's not just about poor old larry the lamb that is being sacrificed for your enjoyment, that mankind as a species is going to face climate Armageddon if we all don't start changing our ways.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:20 - Aug 16 with 1025 viewsDanTheMan

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:13 - Aug 16 by clive_baker

That's good that you've cut down, and yes people do have dietry considerations which make things harder. I went fully Vegan for a year about a decade ago and it was hard. Probably easier now given there's more choice, but the thing about veganism is it's a lifestyle choice that is way broader than diet, and requires some thought. Like shopping for a belt or shoes needs thought.

A plant based diet is easier, and vegetarianism is easier still as you're not limiting dairy. We all know if there's meat in something or not, it's a very easy thing to do for the most part. I personally think we shouldn't let perfection become the enemy of progress, if people can cut down thats a very good start. We don't all need to be vegan tomorrow.

There's also a cost benefit. So many dishes really dont miss the meat and are significantly cheaper to make.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2022 16:14]

I definitely think encouraging people not to jump straight to vegan (unless they want to of course, all power to them) but to just cut down.

I think once people introduce meals without meat it doesn't become so daunting and they realise it can be just as good. Honestly you usually just need to use a bit more fat / salt to make things taste banging.

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:28 - Aug 16 with 976 viewsmonytowbray

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 15:28 - Aug 16 by Mullet

Should be massive disincentives on factory farming and BS classifications that if they open a window the meat is now "free range" etc.

Of course this hits the poorest the hardest though, but the system of production and culture of lean cuts in plastic wrap and not eating the whole animal needs changing.

Still in massive denial and living in an alternative reality then I see...

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:33 - Aug 16 with 947 viewsWD19

Having spent the last few days near a beach I can confirm that in 95% of cases general intake of everything needs to be reduced considerably. It is depressing.
Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:38 - Aug 16 with 914 viewsgalacticoblue

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:28 - Aug 16 by monytowbray

Still in massive denial and living in an alternative reality then I see...

‘England must reduce meat intake to avoid climate breakdown’

Come only the English, we need to save the world!!! ….nothing catastrophising here.
Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:50 - Aug 16 with 862 viewsNthQldITFC

That is a total bullocks, but it would be a damn sight better for the world if it was true!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:52 - Aug 16 with 850 viewsJ2BLUE

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:38 - Aug 16 by galacticoblue

‘England must reduce meat intake to avoid climate breakdown’

Come only the English, we need to save the world!!! ….nothing catastrophising here.

Yes just us. Literally no one else is doing it. They are just targeting YOU.

Truly impaired.

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 17:14 - Aug 16 with 786 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:50 - Aug 16 by NthQldITFC

That is a total bullocks, but it would be a damn sight better for the world if it was true!

I'm just waiting for someone (probably from the US of A) to propose "meat trading" in the same way they do carbon trading. You just know it will happen.

Poll: would you rather

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 17:16 - Aug 16 with 781 viewsGogs

Meat intake needs to be reduced to avoid climate disaster.... on 16:10 - Aug 16 by DanTheMan

Not a fan of Tofu, tends to be too much like flavourless scrambled egg when I've had it, but i haven't tried this method. However i tried tempeh yesterday for the first time in a thai green curry and was much more impressed with it. May just stick with that whilst i'm cutting down on my meat intake
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024