Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seeing Auschwitz 09:43 - Sep 16 with 2324 viewsKeno

is anyone thinking of going to this?

https://seeing-auschwitz.com

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Seeing Aushwitz on 09:48 - Sep 16 with 2107 viewsblueasfook

Not sure, but want to visit the camp. Supposedly a very poignant experience.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2022 10:11]

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Seeing Aushwitz on 09:51 - Sep 16 with 2084 viewsKeno

Seeing Aushwitz on 09:48 - Sep 16 by blueasfook

The camp is somewhere I'd like to go and yes it would be very moving

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Seeing Aushwitz on 10:11 - Sep 16 with 2057 viewsMookamoo

It is the most extraordinary place. Not something you can prepare for and it will stay with you.

Krakow is a good weekend break and you can get a taxi to the camp.
Seeing Aushwitz on 10:19 - Sep 16 with 2012 viewsbenrhyddingblue

Seeing Aushwitz on 10:11 - Sep 16 by Mookamoo

It is the most extraordinary place. Not something you can prepare for and it will stay with you.

Krakow is a good weekend break and you can get a taxi to the camp.

I visited in the late 1990s with Krakow as my base. Yes, not something that I can really put into words as the scale can only really be taken by being there. I also (unintentionally) timed my visit at the same time as a group of Israeli schoolchildren which was an experience in itself - in the end I had to purposely distance myself from them as it was too much to witness as well as the camp.
Seeing Aushwitz on 10:30 - Sep 16 with 1986 viewsMattinLondon

Sort of on-topic. The Imperial War Museum ‘Holocaust’ exhibition is very very good. I wouldn’t advice taking children under-12 to it as it’s very graphic. It’s extremely moving and deals with the rise of the Nazis, the issue of genetics and the Holocaust itself.
Seeing Aushwitz on 10:30 - Sep 16 with 1988 viewsmylittletown

Seeing Aushwitz on 10:19 - Sep 16 by benrhyddingblue

I visited in the late 1990s with Krakow as my base. Yes, not something that I can really put into words as the scale can only really be taken by being there. I also (unintentionally) timed my visit at the same time as a group of Israeli schoolchildren which was an experience in itself - in the end I had to purposely distance myself from them as it was too much to witness as well as the camp.

I also visited in the 1990s. I will never forget it.
It makes you think twice, thrice etc about every statement of hatred towards any group of people.
It also makes you realise how easy it is for apparently civilised people to be led, almost of their free will, to become part of appalling systematic cruelty and viciousness.
Everyone should go once.
Seeing Aushwitz on 10:47 - Sep 16 with 1955 viewsMookamoo

Seeing Aushwitz on 10:30 - Sep 16 by mylittletown

It makes you think twice, thrice etc about every statement of hatred towards any group of people.
It also makes you realise how easy it is for apparently civilised people to be led, almost of their free will, to become part of appalling systematic cruelty and viciousness.
Everyone should go once.

The scale of the site and the scale of the bureaucracy is something you have to see with your own eyes. It took a lot of people to dehumanise that many victims and it does make you question what is going on around you. I know its not the same, but just look at the matter-of-fact way Pritty Patel dealt with refugees and processing them to Rwanda.
Seeing Auschwitz on 11:00 - Sep 16 with 1919 viewsGavTWTD

No, but I too would like to see the camp in person.

The BBC made an excellent documentary and is available on UK Play https://uktvplay.co.uk/shows/auschwitz-the-nazis-and-the-final-solution/series-1

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Login to get fewer ads

Seeing Aushwitz on 11:30 - Sep 16 with 1839 viewsBLUEBEAT

Seeing Aushwitz on 10:19 - Sep 16 by benrhyddingblue

Same.

Was left numb for days afterwards.

Poll: ACID, FUNK, ACID FUNK?

Seeing Auschwitz on 11:45 - Sep 16 with 1810 viewsGlasgowBlue

I think it’s a great idea to bring the story to a wider audience. But I would recommend that everybody actually visits Auschwitz. You’re never the same afterwards.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Seeing Auschwitz on 12:38 - Sep 16 with 1746 viewssolomon

Seeing Auschwitz on 11:45 - Sep 16 by GlasgowBlue

I think it’s a great idea to bring the story to a wider audience. But I would recommend that everybody actually visits Auschwitz. You’re never the same afterwards.

Absolutely, it’s a very sobering experience, even more important to remember and reflect as prejudices in general alongside antisemitism are being normalised in so many aspects of our daily lives, a stark reminder of man’s inhumanity to man and the consequences .
Seeing Auschwitz on 13:33 - Sep 16 with 1688 viewsBluetaff

Seeing Auschwitz on 11:00 - Sep 16 by GavTWTD

No, but I too would like to see the camp in person.

The BBC made an excellent documentary and is available on UK Play https://uktvplay.co.uk/shows/auschwitz-the-nazis-and-the-final-solution/series-1

It is an incredibly powerful and emotive place to visit. Was lucky enough to be asked to go and take some photographs for the Auschwitz Memorial Museum a few years ago and was given a personal tour by some members of the staff there.

They were incredibly well versed in highlighting to me specific areas in both camps that warrant narrative that you might often miss and pointed out the good and bad books that cover the period (the best being this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Was-Doctor-Mengeles-Assistant/dp/8392156757)

Must admit it was a tough couple of days and left Auschwitz II with a terrible headache and absolutely exhausted.

Blog: The National Conundrum

Seeing Aushwitz on 13:49 - Sep 16 with 1628 viewsChurchman

Seeing Aushwitz on 10:30 - Sep 16 by MattinLondon

Sort of on-topic. The Imperial War Museum ‘Holocaust’ exhibition is very very good. I wouldn’t advice taking children under-12 to it as it’s very graphic. It’s extremely moving and deals with the rise of the Nazis, the issue of genetics and the Holocaust itself.

The IWM exhibition is good, tells the story and something people should see.

Mrs C has been to Flossenburg and has never really wanted to talk about it. It was not a death camp as such, but 30,000 people died there from starvation, overwork and executions.

As for Auschwitz, it the last place on earth I want to go to, but the one place before all others I really should. I intend to do so, possibly in the way described in this thread.

How can one find the words to describe what the Germans did 1933 to 1945? I can’t.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2022 13:55]
Seeing Auschwitz on 13:59 - Sep 16 with 1602 viewsurbanblue

Seeing Auschwitz on 13:33 - Sep 16 by Bluetaff

It is an incredibly powerful and emotive place to visit. Was lucky enough to be asked to go and take some photographs for the Auschwitz Memorial Museum a few years ago and was given a personal tour by some members of the staff there.

They were incredibly well versed in highlighting to me specific areas in both camps that warrant narrative that you might often miss and pointed out the good and bad books that cover the period (the best being this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Was-Doctor-Mengeles-Assistant/dp/8392156757)

Must admit it was a tough couple of days and left Auschwitz II with a terrible headache and absolutely exhausted.

I went on a beautiful summers day. At Auschwitz ll (Birkenau) it was noticeable that there was not any sound of birds. The sheer size and the fact that it hasn't been touched or altered unlike Auschwitz 1 left me emotionally shattered.
Seeing Auschwitz on 14:09 - Sep 16 with 1579 viewsBluetaff

Seeing Auschwitz on 13:59 - Sep 16 by urbanblue

I went on a beautiful summers day. At Auschwitz ll (Birkenau) it was noticeable that there was not any sound of birds. The sheer size and the fact that it hasn't been touched or altered unlike Auschwitz 1 left me emotionally shattered.

It is strangely exhausting, I went in October and you could feel just how cold and exposed it is in the camp - I can't imagine how on such meagre rations, in the depths of winter anyone could come out of that place alive.

What struck me was the layout, the buildings and blocks were set in perfect alignment and equidistant apart, it was chilling to consider how much thought had gone into the design.

For anyone that hasn't been but wants to, outside the main gate of Auschwitz II, up the road and into the car park is a small cafeteria where you can get a drink and a bite to eat. Next to this is a shop where you can buy books and if you are so inclined, Auschwitz fridge magnets!
[Post edited 16 Sep 2022 14:10]

Blog: The National Conundrum

Seeing Aushwitz on 22:14 - Sep 16 with 1392 viewsLord_Lucan

I've been a couple of times, once in the middle of a bitter Polish winter and once in the sunshine

I strongly recommend going in winter - it hits you more.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Seeing Auschwitz on 00:27 - Sep 17 with 1330 viewsTerra_Farma

It's on my bucket list.

I am fascinated by WW2 - having watched probably thousands of WW2 documentaries, I would love to go out of respect for those poor souls.

I know I would be an emotional wreck, but somehow I feel compelled to go.

Those Nazis were callous beyond belief. Vermin.
Seeing Auschwitz on 16:11 - Sep 17 with 1216 viewssolomon

Seeing Auschwitz on 00:27 - Sep 17 by Terra_Farma

It's on my bucket list.

I am fascinated by WW2 - having watched probably thousands of WW2 documentaries, I would love to go out of respect for those poor souls.

Indeed. I only wish those who continually believe it never happened would go and witness first hand the appalling consequences of the twisted ideologies of the past and realise this could happen again if we carry on as we are.
Seeing Aushwitz on 16:26 - Sep 17 with 1190 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Seeing Aushwitz on 10:47 - Sep 16 by Mookamoo

The scale of the site and the scale of the bureaucracy is something you have to see with your own eyes. It took a lot of people to dehumanise that many victims and it does make you question what is going on around you. I know its not the same, but just look at the matter-of-fact way Pritty Patel dealt with refugees and processing them to Rwanda.

I can only imagine that it is your final comment that has drawn the downvote there.

Priti Patel and her policies are only the outcome of the programme of hatred towards immigrants that has been driven by our media and authorities generally for many years now. And it is very much the same, just not (yet) to the same degree.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Seeing Aushwitz on 17:03 - Sep 17 with 1158 viewssolomon

Seeing Aushwitz on 16:26 - Sep 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

I can only imagine that it is your final comment that has drawn the downvote there.

Priti Patel and her policies are only the outcome of the programme of hatred towards immigrants that has been driven by our media and authorities generally for many years now. And it is very much the same, just not (yet) to the same degree.

Seems to be on that path though, it’s being normalised in every part of society helped along by social media and the unsavouriness of some that push it.
Seeing Auschwitz on 20:47 - Sep 17 with 1072 viewsClareBlue

If you are doing it with a weekend in Krakow then do it last as it will spoil the rest of your visit. In my opinion best to do it on its own with maybe schindlers museum in Krakow if you are staying there.

I've traveled all over Eastern Europe and Balkans and central Europe and my fav city is without doubt Krakow. Go to the river festival weekend or any other festival and it is like nó where else. The castle is great, the opera a hidden gem, the square river cruises and walks brilliant. Its great value and some great classical concerts. 4 Euro airport to city on train with cheap Ryanair flights in.
Seeing Auschwitz on 20:57 - Sep 17 with 1066 viewsClareBlue

Seeing Auschwitz on 00:27 - Sep 17 by Terra_Farma

It's on my bucket list.

You should go to rural lithuania and visit places where communities implemented Nazi policies without much Nazi input. Very under reported and recorded how many Eastern countries implemented extermination and deportation to camps with very little encouragement from Nazis. The National resistance in Lithuania was mostly against policies being implemented by lithuanians against minorities, facilitated by Nazis, but not really carried out by them.
Seeing Auschwitz on 00:30 - Sep 18 with 1004 viewsTerra_Farma

Seeing Auschwitz on 20:57 - Sep 17 by ClareBlue

You should go to rural lithuania and visit places where communities implemented Nazi policies without much Nazi input. Very under reported and recorded how many Eastern countries implemented extermination and deportation to camps with very little encouragement from Nazis. The National resistance in Lithuania was mostly against policies being implemented by lithuanians against minorities, facilitated by Nazis, but not really carried out by them.

Interesting.

What is there to see in the rural Lithuania communities?

I assume you have been?
Seeing Auschwitz on 13:30 - Sep 23 with 797 viewsWeWereZombies

Seeing Auschwitz on 20:47 - Sep 17 by ClareBlue

If you are doing it with a weekend in Krakow then do it last as it will spoil the rest of your visit. In my opinion best to do it on its own with maybe schindlers museum in Krakow if you are staying there.

I've traveled all over Eastern Europe and Balkans and central Europe and my fav city is without doubt Krakow. Go to the river festival weekend or any other festival and it is like nó where else. The castle is great, the opera a hidden gem, the square river cruises and walks brilliant. Its great value and some great classical concerts. 4 Euro airport to city on train with cheap Ryanair flights in.

I enjoyed the castle in Krakow when I visited five years ago, that was before I watched this interview:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0010m90/hardtalk-niklas-frank-son-of-hans

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Seeing Aushwitz on 14:29 - Sep 23 with 741 viewsRadlett_blue

Seeing Aushwitz on 10:30 - Sep 16 by mylittletown

Everyone should go once.

I have visited the best known monument of the Killing Fields, at the village of Choeung Ek in Cambodia. That was coupled with the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum , chronicling the Cambodian genocide. Located in Phnom Penh, the site is a former secondary school which was used as Security Prison 21 by the Khmer Rouge regime from 1975 until its fall in 1979. It made for a hard day, contemplating the irrationality of man's inhumanity to man.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024