Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
unfit and fat - advice needed 13:27 - Oct 10 with 3525 viewsStuartSlater

Hello -

so fellow tractor boyz and girls - or men and women - or whoever you identify as - so I am 47 and fat and unfit lost a bit of weight a few years ago... but now a chubster with a love of kebabs etc.

Any inspirational stories out there / good advice which can help - would be very grateful.

Thanks

Poll: Craig Bellamy - Bell end or Misunderstood

unfit and fat - advice needed on 13:29 - Oct 10 with 2880 viewsPlums

I used the Noom app recently. Managed to shift over a stone in not muhc time. I think the key is, whatever you do you need to buy into it. Half hearted atempts simply don't get results - in anything.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

unfit and fat - advice needed on 13:30 - Oct 10 with 2861 viewsStuartSlater

unfit and fat - advice needed on 13:29 - Oct 10 by Plums

I used the Noom app recently. Managed to shift over a stone in not muhc time. I think the key is, whatever you do you need to buy into it. Half hearted atempts simply don't get results - in anything.

was it quite pricey - well done by the way !

unfit and fat - advice needed on 13:30 - Oct 10 with 2856 viewsbungaytractor

Swap donner for kofte and the pounds will drop off also avoid garlic sauce just have chilly cant beat it
unfit and fat - advice needed on 13:33 - Oct 10 with 2824 viewsStuartSlater

unfit and fat - advice needed on 13:30 - Oct 10 by bungaytractor

Swap donner for kofte and the pounds will drop off also avoid garlic sauce just have chilly cant beat it

love kofte dude ... in fact love it too much

unfit and fat - advice needed on 13:39 - Oct 10 with 2762 viewsdickie

I lost a stone by changing my breakfast and lunch habits - stopped having cereal and/or toast and started eating fruit. Then just had a sandwich and sometimes carrot sticks for lunch. Took some adjusting and for a while I was ravenous by dinner time however by restricting myself it helped me think about portion sizes at dinner time as well. I think if I had more willpower I'd be losing more but I have a bit of a sugar addiction!
unfit and fat - advice needed on 13:44 - Oct 10 with 2739 viewsbungaytractor

unfit and fat - advice needed on 13:33 - Oct 10 by StuartSlater

love kofte dude ... in fact love it too much

Old teacher used to say theres only two guaranteed ways of losing weight..... chop off a limb or malaria
Good luck mate
unfit and fat - advice needed on 13:59 - Oct 10 with 2685 viewsmarvellous

I'm about a decade younger than you and started the year as an 18st 12lb, 5' 10" blimp! I joined WW in January and dropped 3st pretty quickly then stagnated. I stuck with it and managed to shift another half stone before the summer. In July I started the Couch to 5k programme alongside WW and got below the 15st around mid August. I'm enjoying the running way more than I thought I would, so much so that I'm toying with the idea of doing the 2023 Ipswich half marathon!

I too absolutely love a kebab! I've switched from donners to chicken or lamb (or both!) shish with chilli sauce and salad. No chips but rice works really well.

I've gone from a 40" to a 34" waist, and from XXL to L in tops. I feel a million times more healthy and love the new confidence it has given me.
unfit and fat - advice needed on 14:05 - Oct 10 with 2651 viewsglasso

Genuinely, have a look at Six Pack Revolution.

I'd never normally do that sort of thing, but a few people I know did it and their results were ridiculous, so me and my wife signed up and both lost about 2.5 stone in three months.

Now I know about 20 people who've done it or are signed up to start
Login to get fewer ads

unfit and fat - advice needed on 14:31 - Oct 10 with 2583 viewsBasuco

Remove as much sugar as possible from your diet, sugar is very addictive, eat some and you body craves more, no alcohol, it is high in carbohydrates and lowers your blood sugar so the brain thinks you are hungry when you are not, exercise on an empty stomach, men tend to lose more weight that way, do power walking or cycling rather running, thus keeping your heart rate at around 130 BPM to 140BPM, this is the fat burning phase. Focus on good quality carbohydrates, pasta, vegetables and fruit, they are all easily turned into energy rather than fat. Remember as said by others, by losing weight you will feel and sleep much better.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2022 14:32]
unfit and fat - advice needed on 14:32 - Oct 10 with 2574 viewsBLUEBEAT

I have lost nearly 2 stone since January.

I fast every other day (just stay up on water intake and you genuinely don’t miss eating for 24hrs).

Cut out bread/pasta.

No regular alcohol.

No major exercise regime.

That’s it. Worked for me.

Poll: W or W

unfit and fat - advice needed on 14:32 - Oct 10 with 2576 viewsWallingford_Boy

Run.

No matter how slow/fast, running is the way to lose that middle aged spread.

Can still eat what you like too!

RIP Sir Bobby

unfit and fat - advice needed on 14:59 - Oct 10 with 2504 viewsRobTheMonk

Just start somewhere and don't give up. Doesn't matter if it's a 15 minute walk or an hours run.

If you can walk for 15 minutes, great! Try and do 16 next time.

Lots of little wins start to add up.
unfit and fat - advice needed on 15:02 - Oct 10 with 2480 viewsunbelievablue

I'm great at giving advice and terrible at following it (but that's another story).

- Cut down on alcohol
- Cut down on processed sugar (it's hidden everywhere)
- Eat fresh, whole foods as much as possible
- Exercise (walk, run, light weights, whatever works for you)

If you can stick to these four principles, you'll be on the right track. Easier said than done, of course.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

unfit and fat - advice needed on 15:09 - Oct 10 with 2437 viewshoppy

I got diagnosed as type 2 diabetic about a year before the first lockdown - in that first year, I just made small tweaks to my diet, whilst not removing the fun (as you don't want to resent yourself) but just being mindful of it - watching the 'traffic light' system on food packaging, cutting down on the alcohol, although not completely, and combine that with keeping track of your exercise, and having a regular time to weigh myself each week, and entering that into my calendar to see my progress. I lost a stone and was back out of the diabetic scale. Then we hit lockdown, and with that, found it more difficult and it all went back on. I'm slowly almost back to that pre-lockdown weight, so it gives me a goal to work towards - especially as I have my next diabetes review coming up.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

unfit and fat - advice needed on 15:11 - Oct 10 with 2419 viewsBasuco

I forgot to say drink 2 - 3 litres or water a day, you are at the age when you start to lose the feeling of thirst and it is very easy to think you are hungry when your really dehydrated. This also keeps your stomach full so you do not feel as hungry. (careful on long away trips in the car with this)
unfit and fat - advice needed on 15:13 - Oct 10 with 2400 viewsSaleAway

Move more, consume less.

Its a simple formula. Exactly how you achieve that depends on your lifestyle, but also what you enjoy. DOn't just do Cardio stuff, try and lift some weights, even if its just bodyweight exercises. The more muscle you have, the more energy you burn.

AS others have said cheap carbs are bad. Try to cut down the snacks, reduce all your portion sizes by 10% immediately ( if you don't measure things like pasta and rice when you cook, start measuring now).

Fundamentally though, commit to making lots of small changes that will improve your day to day energy balance. You want to be doing stuff that isn't awful, otherwise you'll never stick to it. Set achievable goals. losing anything more than about 0.5-1kg a week on average is probably unsustainable... ( your body will start to worry that its not getting enough energy). That is a calorie deficit of between ~4000-8000 calories per week. Pretty hard to do that on exercise alone, so you have to reduce the intake.

good luck.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

unfit and fat - advice needed on 15:20 - Oct 10 with 2313 viewshype313

I was pre diabetes 2 years ago, decided to do Michael Mosleys 800 Calorie plan, was hard the first few weeks but shifted 3 stone without doing much exercise, and now maintain it by doing 1500 calories a day which is easy.

I also don't eat breakfast so I'm fasting between 16-18 hours a day which helps.

A good friend of mine is a Personal trainer, he said to me years ago "It's 80% diet and 20% exercise" with weight loss, even though that could have affected his work! He said look at the guys in the Gym that are seriously toned and muscly, they barely run 100 yards, a flat stomach isn't determined by how many miles you run, it's about what you fuel your body with, big belly's are due to too much sugar and refined carbs.

The thing is, it's about being committed and not going half hearted, I had a situation where if I didn't change my lifestyle then I was on a path I didn't want to go down, sometimes you need that jolt to change your mindset.

Oh, and what Bas said, try and drink at least 2lts of water a day, you will spend the first few weeks in the toilet but it makes such a difference and stems hunger/snack times.

Good luck
[Post edited 10 Oct 2022 15:22]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

unfit and fat - advice needed on 15:51 - Oct 10 with 2208 viewsclive_baker

My only advice would be not to overcomplicate it. There's loads and loads of diet plans and all the science behind them which is great, not doubting the science by any means, but if you're just looking to be more healthy, lose weight and feel better, its relatively easy.

- Walk as much as possible. When you're ready try running too. Don't put too much pressure on yourself with times and distances, just get out and do it regularly. If you run and eat clean the weight will drop off.

- We all, deep down, know what food is good and bad for us, it isn't rocket science. Cut out fats, saturates and sugars (at least unnatural ones, they're is the devil). Fill yourself up on fruit, veg, protein and good carbs like wholemeal pasta and rice.

You DO NOT NEED to go hungry. Eat, just eat the right things like nice, natural foods. Drink lots of water. And remember, exercise. If you've done it before you can do it again. There's no better time to start than today.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

unfit and fat - advice needed on 16:09 - Oct 10 with 2143 viewshype313

unfit and fat - advice needed on 15:51 - Oct 10 by clive_baker

My only advice would be not to overcomplicate it. There's loads and loads of diet plans and all the science behind them which is great, not doubting the science by any means, but if you're just looking to be more healthy, lose weight and feel better, its relatively easy.

- Walk as much as possible. When you're ready try running too. Don't put too much pressure on yourself with times and distances, just get out and do it regularly. If you run and eat clean the weight will drop off.

- We all, deep down, know what food is good and bad for us, it isn't rocket science. Cut out fats, saturates and sugars (at least unnatural ones, they're is the devil). Fill yourself up on fruit, veg, protein and good carbs like wholemeal pasta and rice.

You DO NOT NEED to go hungry. Eat, just eat the right things like nice, natural foods. Drink lots of water. And remember, exercise. If you've done it before you can do it again. There's no better time to start than today.

I totally agree Clive and it kind of fly's in the face of what I said/did.

However, my decision was based on diabetic issue I was facing and the Mosley plan had been very successful in what it was trying to achieve in scientific trials and it worked for me, have regulated my blood sugar levels, interestingly the NHS are planning on offering this to millions in the same boat.

I guess the thing with weight loss is that it's a personal journey, what works for some doesn't work for others.

In my experience, I live quite a sedentary lifestyle with being desk based and I looked at the average calorie intake for an adult male and it was 2500, I just found with my lifestyle that I didn't need that amount and it worked.

I try an do more, well move more and generally go for a long walk each day at lunchtime and play a bit more sport.

At the end of the day, as long as you lose some timber, regardless of what you do to get there, it doesn't really matter, I was just using my experience, and I totally understand the issues I was facing others won't.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

unfit and fat - advice needed on 16:12 - Oct 10 with 2118 viewsjeera

No silly unrealistic diet plans.

Just a few sensible lifestyle tweaks and it'll happen on its own.

No obsessively checking the scales every five minutes.

For me the main culprits are beer and bread. Lose those and I lose a stone in a month or so.

Bread can be harder than one would think funnily enough, at least for me. But basic wraps: tortillas/chapatis which contain no butter or sugar and you can't go far wrong, so no need to lose bread completely either.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

unfit and fat - advice needed on 16:12 - Oct 10 with 2118 viewsbluefunk

For diet, try doing intermittent fasting, any variety will do, for instance the 5:2 approach, or eat only between say midday and 8.00 pm. They work, and they re train your eating habits which is the real key to keeping weight off. As for exercise, just walking 3-5 miles a day will help, you can always get more ambitious as you get used to it.

Good luck
unfit and fat - advice needed on 16:24 - Oct 10 with 2063 viewsArnoldMoorhen

unfit and fat - advice needed on 14:32 - Oct 10 by Wallingford_Boy

Run.

No matter how slow/fast, running is the way to lose that middle aged spread.

Can still eat what you like too!

Running doesn't work for everyone, it depends on metabolism. Many people have better weight loss results with resistance training. Best of all is cold water swimming.

But: doing something is better than doing nothing, and so it is generally best for people to do the form of exercise that they can manage and most enjoy, as that way they are most likely to maintain it.
unfit and fat - advice needed on 16:25 - Oct 10 with 2060 viewsLankHenners

Can't add a lot else to what everyone else has said and am by no means an expert but can reiterate that the formula really is as simple as move more + eat less = lose weight.

The toughest bit for me is the mental side. It's very easy to say what you need to do but can be hard to actually put it into practice. A 'cold turkey' approach like instantly cutting out all food you like because you think it's not the best thing to eat might just make you miserable and therefore easy to fall back into eating it so look at where you can make some smaller changes to get you started.

For example, I put a rule on myself to not have anything like crisps, chocolate, any treats of that nature during the week, and soon found then when it came to the weekends I wasn't that bothered about missing out on them then either. Pasta's quite an easy one as you can swap to wholegrain, or go half/half with white pasta to begin if you find the taste a bit off but again you soon forget about it. One less dollop of whatever to shrink portion size is doable.

There's a bit of dispute over if and when you should weigh yourself for a progress check as the smallest of things can make a difference to the reading and you can demoralise yourself if you haven't lost as much as you'd hoped.

Basically, trust the process and believe that if you keep it up you'll see and feel the results in the long run. Like I said, it can be hard to keep these things up and I fluctuate with my weight a bit as I go through periods of being committed to regular exercise and small portions to then not being able to motivate myself and slacking on both which I need to find a way to be better at.

Important to not beat yourself up if you find it slow progress at first or give in to having a takeaway on a Friday night - you do things at your own pace and you don't have to deny yourself anything nice as long as you keep it in moderation.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

unfit and fat - advice needed on 16:39 - Oct 10 with 1973 viewsbelgablue

I've always said spinning in the gym if you have a membership is great way to exercise. Very intense at times but next to no impact on joints so one of the better forms of aerobic exercise you can do, as well as swimming.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

unfit and fat - advice needed on 16:46 - Oct 10 with 1930 viewsBasuco

unfit and fat - advice needed on 15:09 - Oct 10 by hoppy

I got diagnosed as type 2 diabetic about a year before the first lockdown - in that first year, I just made small tweaks to my diet, whilst not removing the fun (as you don't want to resent yourself) but just being mindful of it - watching the 'traffic light' system on food packaging, cutting down on the alcohol, although not completely, and combine that with keeping track of your exercise, and having a regular time to weigh myself each week, and entering that into my calendar to see my progress. I lost a stone and was back out of the diabetic scale. Then we hit lockdown, and with that, found it more difficult and it all went back on. I'm slowly almost back to that pre-lockdown weight, so it gives me a goal to work towards - especially as I have my next diabetes review coming up.

There was a very interesting Trust me I'm a Doctor episode on BBC which had a group of type 2 patients give up potato, pasta and rice and replace them with green veg, this reversed the type 2 very quickly. The theory is that the "sugar kick" from veg is released much slower and over a longer period than other sources of carbs, which is big and instant. Worth checking out to avoid diabetic complications later in life and for general health.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024