Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? 08:54 - Oct 13 with 2874 viewsfab_lover

Firstly, I'm not interested n the opinions of anti-vaxxers / people who believe this is somehow part of the "great reset" or any of that nonsense.

I've been offered the flu / Covid booster as I'm over 50. Mid fifties, "rude" good health (fat bar steward who can walk at a very brisk pace for >90 minutes without stopping despite being a smoker).

Had Covid in June, was fairly mild (i.e. didn't keep me in bed).

Had the flu jab for the first time last year, then in November the Moderna booster which really laid me out. Then had dreadful breathing issues (yes, correlation isn't causation) for the next 2 months, only went when I went to Thailand. Had some strange flu (definitely wasn't Covid, I tested) a month ago.

I want to be a "responsible citizen" but given I've had both Covid and the flu in the last 6 months, plus the nasty effects of the 3rd jab I had 11 months ago - is putting more stuff in my body a good idea or not ? I genuinely don't know...would love some SENSIBLE advice from you good people - many thanks.
Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 08:58 - Oct 13 with 2031 viewsvilanovablue

I'm in a similar age demographic over 50. I have had the flu jab, this year our immune systems are likely to be weaker as a consequence of not really mixing with people over the last few years so flu could be more significant so it seemed sensible.

I will be having the autumn Covid booster in November merely as a precaution.
Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:01 - Oct 13 with 2020 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Heard from a few people that having both at the same time has laid them low for a few days.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:08 - Oct 13 with 1991 viewsvilanovablue

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:01 - Oct 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

Heard from a few people that having both at the same time has laid them low for a few days.

This years flu jab made my arm hurt but that was about it, it did last a fair few days though. Every time I've had a Covid jab it has wiped me out.
Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:11 - Oct 13 with 1967 viewsFixed_It

Had my covid jab a couple of weeks ago withnno ill-effects bar a sore arm. Flu jab booked in a week's time.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:14 - Oct 13 with 1956 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'll be taking a Covid booster. If you get it you never know if you'll be one of the unfortunate ones to get long Covid, been there done that and it's not fun. So anything to minimise the likely impacts of harm from covid is fine by me.

Not fussed about the flu one though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:14 - Oct 13 with 1956 viewsWeWereZombies

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:01 - Oct 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

Had both yesterday and I still have a dull pain (which didn't come on until a few hours after the jabs) in the muscle of both arms - but it is way more bearable than the chumps who tried to blind me on the way home by not turning their car headlights off...

Have felt some slight effects, a bit of a tingling feeling in my face, something like mild congestion. The Covid-19 vaccination was a new Pfizer formulation that has been updated to tackle the latest Omicron variants, which is useful as I plan to visit the Southern Hemisphere in the next few months.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:17 - Oct 13 with 1945 viewsSwansea_Blue

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:14 - Oct 13 by WeWereZombies

Had both yesterday and I still have a dull pain (which didn't come on until a few hours after the jabs) in the muscle of both arms - but it is way more bearable than the chumps who tried to blind me on the way home by not turning their car headlights off...

Have felt some slight effects, a bit of a tingling feeling in my face, something like mild congestion. The Covid-19 vaccination was a new Pfizer formulation that has been updated to tackle the latest Omicron variants, which is useful as I plan to visit the Southern Hemisphere in the next few months.

"been updated to tackle the latest Omicron variants"

Yeah, right. It's got the newer Bill Gates tracking tech in it, that's all. Def info.

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:17 - Oct 13 with 1943 viewsBarcaBlue

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:14 - Oct 13 by WeWereZombies

England?
Login to get fewer ads

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:22 - Oct 13 with 1920 viewsWeWereZombies

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:17 - Oct 13 by BarcaBlue

England?

No, I visited that sorry mess a couple of times in August. This time I plan to go somewhere a little more civilised and am thinking of Chile and Uruguay at the moment.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:22 - Oct 13 with 1927 viewsStokieBlue

It's obviously up to you, a few points:

It's unlikely what you had a few months ago was flu. Flu is a seasonal virus and isn't really active in the UK outside of winter. Flu itself is something that will lay you low and sick for at least a week. It's been a bad flu year in Australia so there is a good chance that variant will be the one that hits the northern hemisphere.

With regards to covid, having it 5 months ago gives you very little protection, the latest variants are just too good at immune evasion. If you get the latest vaccine it's actually based on the original strain and the Omicron variant so it will offer a lot more protection against current variants.

Luckily you had a mild case previously but the is no guarantee that will be the case next time and a more severe case will increase the chances of long covid.

With regards to variants, the latest XBB variant has better immune escape than any of the previous variants so likelihood of reinfection is increased.

In the end having either vaccine is better than getting a bad case of either virus, even if you feel a bit rubbish for a few days after the shot.

It's you're decision but you're right to ask for the facts to help you decide.

SB
[Post edited 13 Oct 2022 9:24]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:22 - Oct 13 with 1920 viewsOldsmoker

I don't think I can give you the advice you need.
I go along with whatever my doctor/GP clinic tells me to do.
I had the Flu jab as it was free and I've had one every year since I was 60.
I did catch Covid this time last year and it was bad.
I was a smoker but gave up because I couldn't breathe. It seems that one of my lungs isn't working like it should.
I needed a massive shock to my system to convince me to give up smoking.
I expect that when you get to pensionable age you'll decide you can't afford to smoke.
I'm booked in for my booster on Nov 5th and, like last time, I don't envisage any side effects.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:24 - Oct 13 with 1898 viewsGeoffSentence

Something else you may want to consider is whether you might want to go abroad in the near future.

That rascal Johnny Foreigner might insist on boosters being up to date.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I certainly won’t be having them…. on 09:28 - Oct 13 with 1882 viewsBloots

….both at the same time.

They’ve both knocked me back a bit to varying degrees in the past.

I’ll have a week break between them I expect, but I think the benefits outweigh any potential negatives.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:29 - Oct 13 with 1875 viewsitfcjoe

Moderna knocked me out last time I had it, but had my 4th one on Monday and been totally fine

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:31 - Oct 13 with 1864 viewsRadlett_blue

I had a Moderna COVID booster a few weeks ago (I am 65) & I did feel quite tired & not great for a couple of days. The previous COVID jabs weren't a problem in the slightest. Still seems a small price to pay for increased protection.
I also have started taking the flu jab, which I never bothered with when younger.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:34 - Oct 13 with 1837 viewsfab_lover

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:22 - Oct 13 by StokieBlue

It's obviously up to you, a few points:

It's unlikely what you had a few months ago was flu. Flu is a seasonal virus and isn't really active in the UK outside of winter. Flu itself is something that will lay you low and sick for at least a week. It's been a bad flu year in Australia so there is a good chance that variant will be the one that hits the northern hemisphere.

With regards to covid, having it 5 months ago gives you very little protection, the latest variants are just too good at immune evasion. If you get the latest vaccine it's actually based on the original strain and the Omicron variant so it will offer a lot more protection against current variants.

Luckily you had a mild case previously but the is no guarantee that will be the case next time and a more severe case will increase the chances of long covid.

With regards to variants, the latest XBB variant has better immune escape than any of the previous variants so likelihood of reinfection is increased.

In the end having either vaccine is better than getting a bad case of either virus, even if you feel a bit rubbish for a few days after the shot.

It's you're decision but you're right to ask for the facts to help you decide.

SB
[Post edited 13 Oct 2022 9:24]

Thanks for the time in writing that post, really helpful.

I didn't think about "long Covid" but there again (genuine question) are we seeing Omicron, which I presume has been for 12 months the dominant strain) causing long Covid ?

Your post has 90% convinced me that I should get the jabs...so thanks again...
Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:34 - Oct 13 with 1845 viewsbluelagos

Caught COVID over the weekend, developed a cough, tested and confirmed.

Felt like sh1t for a couple of days, much better now but not 100% yet. Jabbed and boosted and waiting the call for the latest booster being over 50.

My main thought has been how sh1t would it have been without the vaccinations? And why wouldn't you want to protect yourself as much as possible?

Am not, have never been a hide under the bed merchant. Life is full of risks. I ride motorbikes, often in a manner others may feel are risky. But I'd never ride without a helmet.. That would just be stupid.

So for me, it is your choice and I'd never judge you for not getting boosted. But I'd think you were needlessly putting your health at risk. Which is your right and choice.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 10:25 - Oct 13 with 1694 viewsIllinoisblue

Had flu shot and 2nd covid booster (all Pfizer) last week. In separate arms. Arm with the covid shot ached for two days and that was about it. I’ve not yet had covid and would like to keep it way. Having the shot doesn’t guarantee anything of course but I figure it gives you better odds.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 10:41 - Oct 13 with 1660 viewsSwansea_Blue

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:31 - Oct 13 by Radlett_blue

I had a Moderna COVID booster a few weeks ago (I am 65) & I did feel quite tired & not great for a couple of days. The previous COVID jabs weren't a problem in the slightest. Still seems a small price to pay for increased protection.
I also have started taking the flu jab, which I never bothered with when younger.

Bizarre how it affects people differently. I had the AstraZeneca one first and that knocked me out for 24-36 hours, but the Moderna one was absolutely fine, not even a sore arm.

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 10:47 - Oct 13 with 1617 viewsRobTheMonk

Pretty sure I had flu last Christmas. Felt dreadful with a hacking cough.

Had Covid in April and felt rough but not as bad as the above.
Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 10:55 - Oct 13 with 1599 viewsJakeITFC

I had both at the same time (one in each arm) on Tuesday lunchtime and have been absolutely fine.

The Moderna booster last time laid me out for about 12 hours but no ill effects this time (the lady administering the vaccine told me it is a different dose for this one, but not sure what's changed).
Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 11:05 - Oct 13 with 1570 viewsChurchman

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:22 - Oct 13 by Oldsmoker

I don't think I can give you the advice you need.
I go along with whatever my doctor/GP clinic tells me to do.
I had the Flu jab as it was free and I've had one every year since I was 60.
I did catch Covid this time last year and it was bad.
I was a smoker but gave up because I couldn't breathe. It seems that one of my lungs isn't working like it should.
I needed a massive shock to my system to convince me to give up smoking.
I expect that when you get to pensionable age you'll decide you can't afford to smoke.
I'm booked in for my booster on Nov 5th and, like last time, I don't envisage any side effects.

I too will go along with what the medical bods recommend.

Mrs C had both at the same time two weeks ago. Felt below par for 24 hours but was ok. My sis felt like a bag of cr@p for a couple of days, a friend who I played golf with yesterday had his on Tuesday - no ill effects. Same with another buddy last week. I suspect with know knowledge whatsoever (SB is the most knowledgeable on this stuff) that it just depends on your constitution/health.

Personally, when I get offered the opportunity, I’ll take it.
Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 11:13 - Oct 13 with 1546 viewsEJP

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 09:34 - Oct 13 by bluelagos

Caught COVID over the weekend, developed a cough, tested and confirmed.

Felt like sh1t for a couple of days, much better now but not 100% yet. Jabbed and boosted and waiting the call for the latest booster being over 50.

My main thought has been how sh1t would it have been without the vaccinations? And why wouldn't you want to protect yourself as much as possible?

Am not, have never been a hide under the bed merchant. Life is full of risks. I ride motorbikes, often in a manner others may feel are risky. But I'd never ride without a helmet.. That would just be stupid.

So for me, it is your choice and I'd never judge you for not getting boosted. But I'd think you were needlessly putting your health at risk. Which is your right and choice.

Being over 50, you can book your booster via the NHS site from tomorrow.
Rules have changed too as to how long you have to wait since testing positive, gone down from 8 weeks to 4 weeks.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2022/10/nhs-invites-people-50-and-over-for-autumn-boo
Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 13:04 - Oct 13 with 1392 viewsBlueBadger

I wouldn't have them both at the same time, but I'd had them. Flu virulence is reported as being up this winter and I'd be inclined to err on the safe side, particularly if you're either in a vulnerable group or work/associate with vulnerable people.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Genuine, honest question - should I get a flu / Covid booster ? on 13:11 - Oct 13 with 1382 viewsPiercingBlue

had fourth covid and flu jabs at the same time with absolutely no ill effects
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024