Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? 21:50 - Jan 7 with 18548 viewshype313

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I really wouldn't put it past that lot.... on 22:54 - Jan 7 with 2579 viewsdavblue

I really wouldn't put it past that lot.... on 22:49 - Jan 7 by Bloots

....to purposely leave it up just to create some "publicity" for the channel.

His language is obviously outdated and wrong, but unfortunately there's always going to be people of his generation that don't realise what they are doing, at least until they all....well you know.

In this case I suggest the bigger issue isn't what's being said, but the fact that they feel it reasonable to put it in the public space, and leave it there.

FFS.

Think it’s now been edited apparently.

I had thought it’s been remarkably quiet from them in general recently, but I think
It’s not great that they put it up if they’ve reviewed it.
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 22:56 - Jan 7 with 2559 viewsdavblue

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 22:51 - Jan 7 by GlasgowBlue

If somebody swears or says something inappropriate on live TV or radio, the announcer apologises straight away and an edited version goes out on a podcast or catch up.

Poor form from whoever did the interview and put out the show.

They aren’t professional broadcasters but to have presumably reviewed/edited it and still put it out isn’t a great look.
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 22:56 - Jan 7 with 2563 viewsRocky

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 22:02 - Jan 7 by mattyhollandsirish

Sounds to me as though Colin (I believe his name is) is a tad excited and has said black, then suddenly thought he might get cancelled, panicked and said dark. Is this 15 second clip his finest hour, obviously not, but there's nothing in this and to suggest otherwise I feel is wrong. Just my view.

Colin isn't a racist, tho you wouldn't guess it from that clip. He is describing players -in not the brightest way - by the colour of their skin. He could equally have said the ginger player or the blond player.
Not his finest hour, but he doesn't intend any discrimination.
Yeah, looks like.... on 22:59 - Jan 7 with 2512 viewsBloots

I really wouldn't put it past that lot.... on 22:54 - Jan 7 by davblue

I had thought it’s been remarkably quiet from them in general recently, but I think

....they've edited it out now.

Fair enough.

It shouldn't have gone out in the first place, but it should be the end of the issue.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 23:00 - Jan 7 with 2506 viewscatch74

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 22:42 - Jan 7 by The_Romford_Blue

I’m probably going to get stick for this but my honest opinion is that it’s cringe from the old bloke but he clearly panicked when he said black and tried to change it as soon as he could to dark thinking perhaps that was better. He needs some educating about what’s allowed in 2022 and what isn’t.

But the channel know exactly what is right and wrong and choosing to put it up (and then keep it up despite the backlash on twitter tonight) because of the views they will get is absolutely disgusting. I hope they get hammered for this far more than the old bloke they’ve tried feeding to the wolves by uploading it.

Agree completely.
I really haven’t seen or heard any mention of Talking Town for ages, so maybe this has worked for their short term needs. Dreadful stuff and particularly bad if they’ve had it pointed out to them and still left it up.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 23:04 - Jan 7 with 2467 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 22:56 - Jan 7 by davblue

They aren’t professional broadcasters but to have presumably reviewed/edited it and still put it out isn’t a great look.

I accept that they aren't professional broadcasters, but surely ML heard him say ''black guy" (twice) "dark guy" (twice) and "I'm not being racist at all". He should have addressed it straight away live and then put out an edited version.

I honestly can't believe that comment would have gone past Rich, Ben or any of the other anchors on Blue Monday.

It's poor from TT and they have put that old bloke in an unenviable position tonight.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 23:08 - Jan 7 with 2442 viewsBobbychase

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 22:53 - Jan 7 by Kieran_Knows

Hopefully the beginning of the end for them.

Idiots.

Their Twitter apologies seem to have comments disabled.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

I really wouldn't put it past that lot.... on 23:36 - Jan 7 with 2317 viewsRyorry

I really wouldn't put it past that lot.... on 22:54 - Jan 7 by davblue

Embarrassingly, not on Twitter it hasn't, nor the clip in the OP.

Awful from them - as has previously been said, they should have done a re-take, & explained to the old fella how language these days has moved on.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Login to get fewer ads

I really wouldn't put it past that lot.... on 23:42 - Jan 7 with 2255 viewsSamWhiteUK

I really wouldn't put it past that lot.... on 23:36 - Jan 7 by Ryorry

Embarrassingly, not on Twitter it hasn't, nor the clip in the OP.

Awful from them - as has previously been said, they should have done a re-take, & explained to the old fella how language these days has moved on.

They can't edit the clip in the OP, it's not their tweet.
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 23:44 - Jan 7 with 2255 viewsTresBonne

"Dark", you are joking....
I really wouldn't put it past that lot.... on 23:47 - Jan 7 with 2237 viewsRyorry

I really wouldn't put it past that lot.... on 23:42 - Jan 7 by SamWhiteUK

They can't edit the clip in the OP, it's not their tweet.

Thanks, didn't realise that as I didn't know their official name or twitter handle (have never seen/heard their podcast).

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 00:50 - Jan 8 with 2082 viewsXYZ

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 22:35 - Jan 7 by GlasgowBlue

As I said on twitter, talking Town have the responsibility not to upload this.

'Dark' is an outdated term that I haven't heard in decades. Why not say 'the defender' or 'their number 5'? We've moved on from defining people by the colour of their skin. A mitigating factor may be that the bloke is of senior years. I certainly heard my Grandad use it when. I was younger.

TT should address this and someone who knows the old chap should try to explain why the term isn't acceptable.

Be nice to the old racist?

So consistent.
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 01:02 - Jan 8 with 2050 viewsclive_baker

My tuppence worth would be that this is lazy, poorly judged and inappropriate. But probably worth someone taking him to one side and educating him, rather than the world digging him out and a trial by social media.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 07:08 - Jan 8 with 1875 viewsArchiRob

Critize for uploading the clip and do it yourself?
Tad hypocritical don't you think?

Poll: What best describes Norwich defeat

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 07:20 - Jan 8 with 1849 viewshype313

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 07:08 - Jan 8 by ArchiRob

Critize for uploading the clip and do it yourself?
Tad hypocritical don't you think?

Yep, because that's the real issue here.

Dear oh dear.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 07:23 - Jan 8 with 1837 viewsdavblue

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 23:04 - Jan 7 by GlasgowBlue

I accept that they aren't professional broadcasters, but surely ML heard him say ''black guy" (twice) "dark guy" (twice) and "I'm not being racist at all". He should have addressed it straight away live and then put out an edited version.

I honestly can't believe that comment would have gone past Rich, Ben or any of the other anchors on Blue Monday.

It's poor from TT and they have put that old bloke in an unenviable position tonight.

I agree totally not defending them at all just to be clear.

I think the worst part is presumably watching, editing it then uploading it thinking it was ok. Colin might well be targeted now online and on the street by someone or a group. I don’t know the guy but I don’t think that’s a fair position from TT to put him in potentially.
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 07:45 - Jan 8 with 1786 viewsportmanking

Remember guys, views are their own and NOT of the network.

🔔 ends.
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 08:09 - Jan 8 with 1735 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 00:50 - Jan 8 by XYZ

Be nice to the old racist?

So consistent.

Where have I said be nice to him? I’ve condemned the term and it’s usage both on here and on twitter. I’ve described the language as unacceptable.

He’s an old man using outdated language who needs to be taken aside and spoken to. Literally dozens of other posters on here have said similar on this thread. Yet you've only jumped on my comments. You and your up arrower are showing your agenda. You don't care what is posted, it's all about who is posting it.

I asked you nicely yesterday to lose this unhealthy obsession with me. I’m asking nicely again.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 11:10]

Iron Lion Zion

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 08:28 - Jan 8 with 1672 viewsKieran_Knows

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 23:08 - Jan 7 by Bobbychase

Their Twitter apologies seem to have comments disabled.

Absolutely tools.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 08:42 - Jan 8 with 1608 viewscatch74

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 08:28 - Jan 8 by Kieran_Knows

Absolutely tools.

I think they all clearly need educating, looking at Cruncher’s latest retweets as an example.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 08:48 - Jan 8 with 1594 viewsSlimitfc91

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 08:28 - Jan 8 by Kieran_Knows

Absolutely tools.

Anyone doing this type of thing will have some form of issues, attention seeking weirdness maybe ?, but using the words black or dark does not make him a racist, as others on this thread have been suggesting
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 08:55 - Jan 8 with 1550 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 08:48 - Jan 8 by Slimitfc91

Anyone doing this type of thing will have some form of issues, attention seeking weirdness maybe ?, but using the words black or dark does not make him a racist, as others on this thread have been suggesting

I haven’t seen anyone call him a racist. The debate has been more nuanced than that. But he used a term that is outdated and racist. That doesn’t make him a racist. He’s an old man using a term that was widely used in the 1970’s, although it was wrong back then. He simply needs to be educated.

I don’t think trial by social media is the right way to go. He’s old, may have health issues. This won’t be doing him any good and it’s entirely down to ML not addressing it immediately (he heard it as he answered “yeah, yeah, yeah”) and putting it out into the public domain.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 8:59]

Iron Lion Zion

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 09:02 - Jan 8 with 1510 viewsDJR

Another angle on this issue is that they have opened up this man to condemnation on this and presumably other social media sites, when he is presumably not the only Ipswich fan of his generation who doesn't realise what words are or are not acceptable these days.

Of course, he may be blissfully unaware of the furore, but maybe he has a son or grandson who is aware, and it does make me think that those who broadcast what other people say owe a duty of care to those they interview. So in this case, as well as not broadcasting the interview for its content, it shouldn't have been broadcast because of the condemnation of the man involved that was likely to arise.
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 09:09 - Jan 8 with 1462 viewsBobbychase

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 07:23 - Jan 8 by davblue

I agree totally not defending them at all just to be clear.

I think the worst part is presumably watching, editing it then uploading it thinking it was ok. Colin might well be targeted now online and on the street by someone or a group. I don’t know the guy but I don’t think that’s a fair position from TT to put him in potentially.

This is the issue for me. Have mentioned before that with so many podcasts having sprung up in the past few years, people need to realise they have a responsibility. It's not just shoving a microphone in front of people and broadcasting everything they say, you are the editor - it's your content.

Having watched the clip, it's a guy talking about an incident where he can't seem to name a player from either side, and now he may get targeted because of the terminology he used. Remind me what this adds to the public debate again?

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 09:12 - Jan 8 with 1431 viewsSlimitfc91

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 09:09 - Jan 8 by Bobbychase

This is the issue for me. Have mentioned before that with so many podcasts having sprung up in the past few years, people need to realise they have a responsibility. It's not just shoving a microphone in front of people and broadcasting everything they say, you are the editor - it's your content.

Having watched the clip, it's a guy talking about an incident where he can't seem to name a player from either side, and now he may get targeted because of the terminology he used. Remind me what this adds to the public debate again?

I find it better to form my own opinion on games, rather than listen to a random bloke on you tube, I also prefer to watch games, that I can’t attend, with no sound, commentary and analysis get on my nerves.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024