Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? 21:50 - Jan 7 with 18569 viewshype313

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 09:20 - Jan 8 with 2458 viewsChateauWines

The old boy talking is just a prehistoric fool. Who runs the site and uploaded it is the one who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near social media. Club will no doubt distance themselves from these fools as should all who followed

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 09:30 - Jan 8 with 2396 viewsMullet

Imagine hanging this old fella out to dry the day after for clicks and another round of "who us?"

It was clearly not accidental either, whoever is conducting this sort of interview is egging him on and agreeing heartily and endorsing it. So the channel does endorse it clearly and uploaded it, only backing down when called out.

Hopefully now the months of digging out players, hounding people and begging will come to an end as the club can put them in their box for broadcasting this outside the ground and linking it to ITFC. God knows these lot haven't cottoned out yet.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 09:38 - Jan 8 with 2333 viewsElderGrizzly

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 09:30 - Jan 8 by Mullet

Imagine hanging this old fella out to dry the day after for clicks and another round of "who us?"

It was clearly not accidental either, whoever is conducting this sort of interview is egging him on and agreeing heartily and endorsing it. So the channel does endorse it clearly and uploaded it, only backing down when called out.

Hopefully now the months of digging out players, hounding people and begging will come to an end as the club can put them in their box for broadcasting this outside the ground and linking it to ITFC. God knows these lot haven't cottoned out yet.

Absolutely. They (assume Martin) is laughing in the background at it when said.

They knew exactly what he said, but decided to upload anyway.

I agree with others, Colin is almost certainly not racist but TT have purposefully aired something that at face value looks awful for him
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 09:39 - Jan 8 with 2306 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 22:06 - Jan 7 by SitfcB

Whilst it was live at the time surely it shouldn’t still be up on YouTube.

Obviously no malice in it and he’s obviously from the older generation but not a good look this day in age, I know his generation have different words to describe people in general conversation but have to be so careful when being filmed etc.

Spot on. Why do these people get any viewers?
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 09:48 - Jan 8 with 2229 viewsWickets

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 22:01 - Jan 7 by ericclacton

Silly old fool.

Nothing wrong with being old !
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 10:06]
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 10:04 - Jan 8 with 2166 viewsHorsham

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 09:38 - Jan 8 by ElderGrizzly

Absolutely. They (assume Martin) is laughing in the background at it when said.

They knew exactly what he said, but decided to upload anyway.

I agree with others, Colin is almost certainly not racist but TT have purposefully aired something that at face value looks awful for him

Bedsheet was asked on Twitter what the Colin’s surname was too and he obliged with the answer. Colin has been hung out to dry and then Bedsheet doubles down by giving his full name out. I don’t think that’s fair but a clumsy deflection of responsibility for giving the clip airtime in the first place which is widely accepted as the real problem. Colin is about 0.0001 % of the issue here.
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 10:06 - Jan 8 with 2140 viewsCBBlue

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 09:30 - Jan 8 by Mullet

Agreed, whoever was conducting the interview should have challenged him and corrected him there and then. In my eyes that shows them in a worse light than the old boy and by not doing this and then uploading it I'd say they are condoning it...or as many rightly pointed out putting clicks and likes above what is morally right.

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 10:31 - Jan 8 with 2058 viewsDave_Buh

If you think there is anything wrong with this you are part of the problem not the solution. I cringe daily at some of the posts on this forum that try to blow simple things out of proportion. What an age we live in.
Login to get fewer ads

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 10:35 - Jan 8 with 2032 viewsSlimitfc91

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 10:31 - Jan 8 by Dave_Buh

If you think there is anything wrong with this you are part of the problem not the solution. I cringe daily at some of the posts on this forum that try to blow simple things out of proportion. What an age we live in.

Agree, some people are too desperate to be offended, normally on someone else’s behalf
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 10:38 - Jan 8 with 2001 viewsWickets

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 10:31 - Jan 8 by Dave_Buh

That's a good point for me , some might think using old as a derogatory is poor ! me i just try not to take offence when no offence is intended
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 10:38 - Jan 8 with 1987 viewsSlimitfc91

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 10:38 - Jan 8 by Wickets

That's a good point for me , some might think using old as a derogatory is poor ! me i just try not to take offence when no offence is intended

At last
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 10:54 - Jan 8 with 1928 viewsGuthrum

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 10:04 - Jan 8 by Horsham

Bedsheet was asked on Twitter what the Colin’s surname was too and he obliged with the answer. Colin has been hung out to dry and then Bedsheet doubles down by giving his full name out. I don’t think that’s fair but a clumsy deflection of responsibility for giving the clip airtime in the first place which is widely accepted as the real problem. Colin is about 0.0001 % of the issue here.

Did he have the chap's permission to give that information out? Legally dubious if not.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 10:58 - Jan 8 with 1887 viewsDJR

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 10:38 - Jan 8 by Wickets

That's a fair point. A few of those on this thread calling him out for racist language are themselves using ageist language. Let's not forget that protected characteristics under the Equalities Act 2010 include (amongst other things) both age and race.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 11:01]
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 11:01 - Jan 8 with 1863 viewsDanTheMan

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 09:02 - Jan 8 by DJR

Another angle on this issue is that they have opened up this man to condemnation on this and presumably other social media sites, when he is presumably not the only Ipswich fan of his generation who doesn't realise what words are or are not acceptable these days.

Of course, he may be blissfully unaware of the furore, but maybe he has a son or grandson who is aware, and it does make me think that those who broadcast what other people say owe a duty of care to those they interview. So in this case, as well as not broadcasting the interview for its content, it shouldn't have been broadcast because of the condemnation of the man involved that was likely to arise.

I hope he is unaware, he obviously didn't mean to be racist or anything, just said something a bit off and then got flustered and tried to correct himself. He was quite literally trying to be better and that's more than most, but it just comes off badly.

Shame on TT for uploading this.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 11:02 - Jan 8 with 1843 viewsHorsham

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 10:54 - Jan 8 by Guthrum

Did he have the chap's permission to give that information out? Legally dubious if not.

I think the answer to that is pretty obvious. Is this doxing? Is it a GDPR thing. Either way in my book it’s pretty stupid.
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 11:02 - Jan 8 with 1855 viewsblueasfook

Agree. I saw the clip yesterday. I think the chap used clumsy outdated language but I wouldn't label him a racist.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 11:03 - Jan 8 with 1840 viewsChrisd

I'm certainly not condoning it, but you also have to see the generation that this supporter fits into, it's not unusual for this terminology to be used. It's more about educating and showing, I don't genuinely believe he has said this to cause offence. He's not racist, he simply hasn't been shown or told, it's clumsy. If you think that other clubs haven't got much worse offenders than what I've seen from this footage then you really are quite naïve.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 12:18]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 11:08 - Jan 8 with 1813 viewsbluejacko

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 11:01 - Jan 8 by DanTheMan

I hope he is unaware, he obviously didn't mean to be racist or anything, just said something a bit off and then got flustered and tried to correct himself. He was quite literally trying to be better and that's more than most, but it just comes off badly.

Shame on TT for uploading this.

As it was going out live they couldn’t edit it.
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 11:10 - Jan 8 with 1797 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 11:08 - Jan 8 by bluejacko

As it was going out live they couldn’t edit it.

As I posted earlier, ML should have made a quick apology, as he heard what was said. Very easy to deal with at the time.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 12:12 - Jan 8 with 1602 viewsgreyhound

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 11:10 - Jan 8 by GlasgowBlue

As I posted earlier, ML should have made a quick apology, as he heard what was said. Very easy to deal with at the time.

This is exactly the right stance. It's hould of and could easily of been corrected and apologised for.

I don't mind rich to much. I genuinely think he is the person on that podcast with the most knowledge and is by far the most genuine. There's a lot of BS and acting from the other 2, hes digging himself in deeper and deeper today with tonnes of retweet of colins defence from twitter randoms, where he could be broadcasting his own stance and understanding of racism. He's made it clear and obvious that he to doesn't understand the problem with this kind of comment. Saying language could of been better is not the defence. Offering to educate, explain and being staunch in allyship to those with minority identification is. Knowing Martin is registered as disabled and having frequently seen comments about peoples thoughtlessness towards those with accessibility issues makes this even more puzzling as I would of assumed he would get it... But he was heard laughing at the opinion... Its not great

There's been a few comments on here even of people saying nothing to see here, the point is minority groups spend their lives being othered, defined by characteristics to the many which erases their personal identity. The football player Colin mentioned is the same as the 20 others on that pitch, he had a name, a number and a position. All things that are actually far easier to identify someone by than the colour of their skin in a culturally diverse world.

At colins age these are terms that I'm his lifetime have likely long been accepted. But times and awareness change and they are not any more. The responsibility for policing and owning this lies with the anchor. Martin in this occasion, a young person laughing along with this language, and indirect racism is unfortunately the bigger problem for the show as a whole, and to minority groups stinks of an endorsement in a situation where a need for education could be understood.

The talking town apology is awful, replies turned off. It's worrying moreover the cult following of people they have created that are fully backing it as a nothing incident. Those from minorities need allies that will not only call this stuff out but act against it however and its refreshing to see a large number of people prepared to take this stance
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 12:16 - Jan 8 with 1570 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 22:04 - Jan 7 by HealysBackPocket

Why did he need to use skin colour at all? Why could he not have just said “the big tackle from our player/striker/defender”? If it had been Keogh or Evans or Burns who made the tackle, there’s not a chance he comes out with “the white guy” is there?

He was reacting to having a microphone shoved at him, it's easy to say it after the fact but we don't always think before we speak.

Equally I'm not sure that describing someone who is black as black is really a clanger is it?

The bigger shame is he didn't know who the player he was taking about was.

As others said he's then panicked and found dark from somewhere and for me that's the term that is problematic, TT town should know that and edit accordingly
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 12:18]

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 13:52 - Jan 8 with 1405 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 12:12 - Jan 8 by greyhound

This is exactly the right stance. It's hould of and could easily of been corrected and apologised for.

I don't mind rich to much. I genuinely think he is the person on that podcast with the most knowledge and is by far the most genuine. There's a lot of BS and acting from the other 2, hes digging himself in deeper and deeper today with tonnes of retweet of colins defence from twitter randoms, where he could be broadcasting his own stance and understanding of racism. He's made it clear and obvious that he to doesn't understand the problem with this kind of comment. Saying language could of been better is not the defence. Offering to educate, explain and being staunch in allyship to those with minority identification is. Knowing Martin is registered as disabled and having frequently seen comments about peoples thoughtlessness towards those with accessibility issues makes this even more puzzling as I would of assumed he would get it... But he was heard laughing at the opinion... Its not great

There's been a few comments on here even of people saying nothing to see here, the point is minority groups spend their lives being othered, defined by characteristics to the many which erases their personal identity. The football player Colin mentioned is the same as the 20 others on that pitch, he had a name, a number and a position. All things that are actually far easier to identify someone by than the colour of their skin in a culturally diverse world.

At colins age these are terms that I'm his lifetime have likely long been accepted. But times and awareness change and they are not any more. The responsibility for policing and owning this lies with the anchor. Martin in this occasion, a young person laughing along with this language, and indirect racism is unfortunately the bigger problem for the show as a whole, and to minority groups stinks of an endorsement in a situation where a need for education could be understood.

The talking town apology is awful, replies turned off. It's worrying moreover the cult following of people they have created that are fully backing it as a nothing incident. Those from minorities need allies that will not only call this stuff out but act against it however and its refreshing to see a large number of people prepared to take this stance

Some of the comments on their youtube channel as they are waiting for the show to start are pretty poor.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 14:20 - Jan 8 with 1332 viewsericclacton

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 14:56 - Jan 8 with 1253 viewsgreyhound

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 13:52 - Jan 8 by GlasgowBlue

Some of the comments on their youtube channel as they are waiting for the show to start are pretty poor.

Can't see a thing. Show has been immediately set to private so it can't be watched back
Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 15:04 - Jan 8 with 1224 viewstractorboy1978

Is this really the level of fan that we want representing our club? on 13:52 - Jan 8 by GlasgowBlue

Shoving a microphone in people's faces straight after a game is hardly a great formula for insightful comments. People are emotionally charged, especially after a disappointing result. Their post match show is basically your first 15 minutes of sometimes irrational chat in a pub after the game, put out indefinitely for public consumption. It's unnecessary and pointless.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 15:04]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024