Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Two options…. 19:34 - Apr 27 with 4994 viewsBluePG

Stay in the stands and watch the players celebrate for some considerable time, or run on the pitch, meaning players will dash to changing rooms, and 95% of fans won’t see them again until August.

Surely it’s a no-brainer?

Poll: Best Dane?

Two options…. on 22:10 - Apr 27 with 1537 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Two options…. on 22:06 - Apr 27 by Swansea_Blue

Of course it’s possible not to go onto the pitch and fair for the club to ask. It’s also a very likely thing that could happen.

It just seems a strange thing to get hung up on when pitch invasions have been a part of football for decades. Every club also asks fans not to persistently stand, but that doesn’t stop every away sport across the country standing through every match. It seems a bit of a weird thing for fans to be trying to police other fans over.

Hasn’t been a criminal offence for decades…

Poll: Our final position

Two options…. on 22:20 - Apr 27 with 1480 viewsNeedhamChris

Two options…. on 20:52 - Apr 27 by bluelagos

Amazing how the fun police are going into over drive on here over this.

Since when do people think they have the right to tell others how to behave/celebrate? If the younguns go for it, good luck to them.

Edit: Removing as was unnecessary to make that comparison.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2023 23:20]

Poll: Who will Kieran McKenna be managing on 1st August 2024

Two options…. on 22:22 - Apr 27 with 1474 viewsSwansea_Blue

Two options…. on 21:57 - Apr 27 by xrayspecs

So, do you do what you want to do and spoil it for the rest, or do as asked so we can all enjoy the moment?

Simples.

You have no right to grace the PR pitch.

Stay in the stands or hopefully a long term ban. There are plenty who will have your STs.

I don’t understand how it would spoil it for the rest. I was in the upper tier of whatever the Magnus stand was then called when we won the league under Lyall and faced Brighton on the last day. So I stayed in the stand, but thousands didn’t and I seem to remember everyone having a good time. That people went on the pitch had no impact on me whatsoever and took nothing away from the party atmosphere that day.

It’s never compulsory. Same as not everyone has to sing. Some prefer a more restrained experience, some go a bit more nuts. No reason why they all can’t coexist imo.

Wanting other fans banned for a long time if they celebrate on the pitch for the first time in over 20 years is taking things way to far imo.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2023 22:22]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Two options…. on 22:23 - Apr 27 with 1435 viewsSwansea_Blue

Two options…. on 22:20 - Apr 27 by NeedhamChris

That’s a very low blow. Surely you can see the difference?

Two options…. on 22:25 - Apr 27 with 1420 viewsmonty_radio

I'm sorry, but I just think it's a shame. I've witnessed 4 league wins/promotions where the pitch was filled. Calling it an invasion in these Health and Safety fixated days brings out the traffic warden in many of us, but it's still a shame.
Those 4 wins saw 4 spontaneous scenes of joy:

Players injured 0

Spectators killed 0

Lifetime bans 0

We don't even have the excuse of the pitch needing protection this time, but it's the contemporary twitch of authority and the sage nodding in agreement that makes me feel quite sad.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Two options…. on 22:27 - Apr 27 with 1398 viewsbluelagos

Just how desperate must you be to win an internet point by posting sht like that?

The club haven't raised any safety concerns, but if they have do please direct me to them...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Two options…. on 22:28 - Apr 27 with 1391 viewsNeedhamChris

Two options…. on 22:23 - Apr 27 by Swansea_Blue

I can to an extent - but having seen people falling down the stairs at Peterborough when a few made a rush to the front of the stand, I don't think you can say with any degree of confidence that everyone will be careful and cautious.

I'm in SBRL - if everyone is 100% careful then likely fine but not sure I fully trust that - but if anyone is injured then those saying it's just a bit of fun should own that.

Two options…. on 22:29 - Apr 27 with 1384 viewsthebooks

Very low.
Login to get fewer ads

Two options…. on 22:30 - Apr 27 with 1381 viewsbluelagos

Two options…. on 22:23 - Apr 27 by Swansea_Blue

From the poster who wanted McKenna sacked if I am not mistaken?

Bell end.

Two options…. on 22:31 - Apr 27 with 1380 viewsNeedhamChris

Two options…. on 22:27 - Apr 27 by bluelagos

Just how desperate must you be to win an internet point by posting sht like that?

The club haven't raised any safety concerns, but if they have do please direct me to them...

The announcement was from Town's matchday SAFETY officer - who said "“It is of paramount importance that everyone inside Portman Road can enjoy any potential celebrations safely, which will only be possible if supporters remain in the stands"

Are you just choosing to ignore that point?

Two options…. on 22:33 - Apr 27 with 1348 viewsVegtablue

Two options…. on 22:22 - Apr 27 by Swansea_Blue

I don’t understand how it would spoil it for the rest. I was in the upper tier of whatever the Magnus stand was then called when we won the league under Lyall and faced Brighton on the last day. So I stayed in the stand, but thousands didn’t and I seem to remember everyone having a good time. That people went on the pitch had no impact on me whatsoever and took nothing away from the party atmosphere that day.

It’s never compulsory. Same as not everyone has to sing. Some prefer a more restrained experience, some go a bit more nuts. No reason why they all can’t coexist imo.

Wanting other fans banned for a long time if they celebrate on the pitch for the first time in over 20 years is taking things way to far imo.

Totally agree with your last paragraph and I'd like to think the show would stay on the road. In the event it doesn't any dampeners would be softened by us being promoted! No invasion chatter at all with five minutes to go is a much worse thought right now for me aha.
Two options…. on 22:34 - Apr 27 with 1333 viewsxrayspecs

Two options…. on 22:22 - Apr 27 by Swansea_Blue

30 years ago, the world has moved on.

I want to see the town players and staff on PR celebrating.

if selfish pricks spoilt it because they feel entitled to disrupt proceedings, then F off.
Two options…. on 22:37 - Apr 27 with 1297 viewsSwansea_Blue

Two options…. on 22:34 - Apr 27 by xrayspecs

30 years ago, the world has moved on.

I want to see the town players and staff on PR celebrating.

if selfish pricks spoilt it because they feel entitled to disrupt proceedings, then F off.

Charming.

Two options…. on 22:39 - Apr 27 with 1265 viewsxrayspecs

Two options…. on 22:37 - Apr 27 by Swansea_Blue

Charming.

The club have been very clear, Your place is in the stands. You have no moral authority to justify a pitch invasion.

Selfish.
Two options…. on 22:44 - Apr 27 with 1220 viewsSwansea_Blue

Two options…. on 22:30 - Apr 27 by bluelagos

From the poster who wanted McKenna sacked if I am not mistaken?

Bell end.

Just bizarre. We haven’t even won yet. Still got 90 mins against a stubborn side to get through before any of this is close to reality.

I’ve never been in or witnessed a pitch invasion (be it on the winning or losing side) where everyone was enjoying themselves. God knows why people are getting so angry over something that may not happen or if it does happen will be one big party. If it happens, fine. If not, also fine. If we go up on Sat who cares whether there’s a pitch invasion or not?

I’m out. Bringing Hillsborough into it has finished me off. Fks sake, we’re supposed to be looking forward to possibly the best time to be a town fan in a generation. Weird.

Two options…. on 22:45 - Apr 27 with 1208 viewsbluelagos

Two options…. on 22:31 - Apr 27 by NeedhamChris

The announcement was from Town's matchday SAFETY officer - who said "“It is of paramount importance that everyone inside Portman Road can enjoy any potential celebrations safely, which will only be possible if supporters remain in the stands"

Are you just choosing to ignore that point?

Hadn'-t read that, no.

My view is that the suggestion that you can only safely enjoy celebrations from a stand is complete bollox.

I and thousands of others enjoyed the celebrations on the pitch after the Bolton game and literally thousands of other fans have done so on many occasions.

The safety officer has to make his case, anyone with half a brain cell can tell it's rubbish.

If you wish to get yourself into a tizz cos some young kids choose to run on and celebrate, that's upto you, i wont be letting it upset or worry me.

Two options…. on 22:46 - Apr 27 with 1205 viewsSwansea_Blue

Two options…. on 22:39 - Apr 27 by xrayspecs

The club have been very clear, Your place is in the stands. You have no moral authority to justify a pitch invasion.

Selfish.

My place is at home as I couldn’t get a ticket. I don’t claim moral authority. I hope you enjoy your day if you can though.

Two options…. on 22:47 - Apr 27 with 1180 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I’m fairly indifferent about a pitch invasion.

But I don’t know if I trust all our fans to leave Exeter players/officials alone

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Two options…. on 23:03 - Apr 27 with 1101 viewsNeedhamChris

Two options…. on 22:45 - Apr 27 by bluelagos

Hadn'-t read that, no.

My view is that the suggestion that you can only safely enjoy celebrations from a stand is complete bollox.

I and thousands of others enjoyed the celebrations on the pitch after the Bolton game and literally thousands of other fans have done so on many occasions.

The safety officer has to make his case, anyone with half a brain cell can tell it's rubbish.

If you wish to get yourself into a tizz cos some young kids choose to run on and celebrate, that's upto you, i wont be letting it upset or worry me.

Okay, so you accept the club have raised safety concerns but you don't think they're warranted and can be ignored?

My comment was poor - some of the stuff I've read from you on here has been eye-opening and have a lot of respect for you. I've judged your lack of interest in the clubs safety perspective more harshly than I have anyone elses - which isn't fair and my comment wasn't on.

I do think you're muddling the messaging though - the safest way for everyone to enjoy football is to follow the guidance of the safety teams at all times whether we think it's necessary or not. As soon as people start picking and choosing which bits of safety guidance they think are important vs those they don't - that's not an ideal place to be.

For me everyone has a different approach to risk - and I'm potentially being more cautious (or fun police) around this than I need to be and it might well be that in the moment it feels completely different. However it's the same as when someone raises concerns about pyrotechnics, the need to be cool seems to override the worries of those concerned. I would much rather everyone stay in the stand and we enjoy it like the Barnsley and Peterborough games.

Two options…. on 23:11 - Apr 27 with 1069 viewsChorleyBoy

Two options…. on 22:39 - Apr 27 by xrayspecs

Selfish.

How times have changed. Just 20 years ago we were all saying how important our freedom was.

Now it's all about public health, security and conformity.

What happened?
Two options…. on 23:14 - Apr 27 with 1046 viewsbluelagos

Two options…. on 23:03 - Apr 27 by NeedhamChris

Okay, so you accept the club have raised safety concerns but you don't think they're warranted and can be ignored?

My comment was poor - some of the stuff I've read from you on here has been eye-opening and have a lot of respect for you. I've judged your lack of interest in the clubs safety perspective more harshly than I have anyone elses - which isn't fair and my comment wasn't on.

I do think you're muddling the messaging though - the safest way for everyone to enjoy football is to follow the guidance of the safety teams at all times whether we think it's necessary or not. As soon as people start picking and choosing which bits of safety guidance they think are important vs those they don't - that's not an ideal place to be.

For me everyone has a different approach to risk - and I'm potentially being more cautious (or fun police) around this than I need to be and it might well be that in the moment it feels completely different. However it's the same as when someone raises concerns about pyrotechnics, the need to be cool seems to override the worries of those concerned. I would much rather everyone stay in the stand and we enjoy it like the Barnsley and Peterborough games.

Appreciate the different tone.

Clearly some posters have strong objections to the idea of a pitch invasion. I genuinely don't understand why, like I say thousands of Ipswich fans (and players) enjoyed the moment after the Bolton game.

But you need not worry, my days of running on are long gone, not least cos I have one elderly lady I need to get home and don't think she'd be up for bunking the advertising hoardings :-)

Two options…. on 23:38 - Apr 27 with 973 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Two options…. on 21:50 - Apr 27 by thebooks

Good post 👍

Our club, so our right. We always used to do it on the last day of the season: it was an expression of that ownership. It was never a problem.

Yes, a section of fans like being put in their place 🤷‍♂️

“Our club so our right” just isn’t true though is it? (Unless you’re secretly a majority shareholder)

If you pay to go to a gig or to the theatre, does that give you an entitled right to go on the stage at the end of the show?
Two options…. on 07:07 - Apr 28 with 843 viewsHerbivore

Two options…. on 23:03 - Apr 27 by NeedhamChris

Do you tell all the fans standing in the lower north to sit down and follow safety guidance? The club also makes it clear PR is an all seater stadium and standing isn't allowed.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Two options…. on 09:53 - Apr 28 with 779 viewsNeedhamChris

Two options…. on 07:07 - Apr 28 by Herbivore

Do you tell all the fans standing in the lower north to sit down and follow safety guidance? The club also makes it clear PR is an all seater stadium and standing isn't allowed.

It's a fair point - although if the club ever put out a message to say that they all needed to sit down then yes.

I get it - went in two footed on this, I just find the idea of people rushing past other more vulnerable people to get their moment a little more intimidating than you clearly do (not a dig).

As I've said a couple of times, saw people falling down the stairs at Peterborough in a rush to get down the steps and there was no concern for others. Hopefully if it happens, it'll be different :)

Two options…. on 09:57 - Apr 28 with 776 viewsVaughan8

Two options…. on 21:18 - Apr 27 by SitfcB

Honestly shouldn’t be surprised at the reaction of a potential pitch invasion, our fanbase has to be the wettest in the country.

Little pitch invasion, pitch clears, players come out.

Club have to be seen to discourage it but I think the want the fans to do it.

Delusion at its best. "They want us to do it"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024