Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Burns linked with Wrexham 12:27 - May 11 with 12060 viewsbluestandard

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/wrexham-identify-ipswich-town-and-huddersfield

Lol
Our fanbase needs to accept.... on 16:36 - May 11 with 1588 viewstractorboy1978

Our fanbase needs to accept.... on 16:12 - May 11 by Bloots

....that we are going to sell players.

The nature of player trading (a phrase used by Ashton a number of times) is that the players we sell will inevitably be "fans favourites".

We will get top price for those that we do sell and we just have to trust that the replacements will be better.

We will sell players....it's what Ashton does.

There is clearly going to be a gradual improvement in the squad if we progress as we hope to. You progressively shave off your 'worst' players and may have to sell a couple of your top assets along the way too, i.e if we don't go up next season and Davis repeats this seasons performance in the Champ, he will be off.

Burns doesn't fall into either category. You could say ditto Chaplin. He will be a good option next season and get plenty of football. We won't be selling him for the sort of realistic fee another club would pay - £1m mentioned in this thread is laughable.
[Post edited 11 May 2023 16:37]
Burns linked with Wrexham on 16:41 - May 11 with 1559 viewsVegtablue

Burns linked with Wrexham on 16:32 - May 11 by itfcjoe

There is no way we'd sell for that sort of figure though - we'd want 3x that and rightly so.

I doubt we would sell him because no one will offer what he is worth to us, but there would be a mutiny if we sold him for that sort of fee

Indeed, it would be a great example of player trading done poorly.
Burns linked with Wrexham on 16:50 - May 11 with 1524 viewsbrazil1982

Burns linked with Wrexham on 15:16 - May 11 by Sharkey

Am I the only one who doesn't find this completely unfeasible? Paul Mullin dropped down two leagues to sign for them when he was 26, and I doubt he was out of pocket.

I bet Wrexham do sign at least one or two of Burns's calibre, on the same kind of wages Town pay.

And maybe they ARE prepared to pay over the going rate to buy players to emphasise their Welshness. Promoting the Welsh language has been mentioned as part of the 'project', and Burns is a fluent Welsh speaker.

https://news.sky.com/story/ryan-reynolds-and-rob-mcelhenney-honoured-for-promoti
[Post edited 11 May 2023 15:22]

We will see Wrexham spend a staggering amount of money on fees and wages in the next two seasons, as they make their way to the Championship. It's not all unforeseeable that players would go there for a good pay packet.
Burns linked with Wrexham on 16:53 - May 11 with 1518 viewsPhilTWTD

Burns linked with Wrexham on 16:06 - May 11 by Sharkey

Wales took League 2 players to the World Cup, and I really doubt the Wrexham experience will be 'pitiful' next season, home or away. They'll be breezing through that league, with its three automatic promotion places, in no time at all.

As everyone rightly points out, Wrexham will have to pay a lot, but they may think it's worth it if he improves their brand and brings something new to the soap opera. It's the fact that he speaks Welsh that makes it seem to me that a serious offer is not as laughable a suggestion as some people are making out.

Wasn't Jonny Williams the only League Two player? And he was a bit of an exception as he'd been involved in the set-up for some years, probably wouldn't have been playing at that level but for injuries and subsequently retired from international football.
Chris Gunter? (n/t) on 16:57 - May 11 with 1488 viewsBloots

Burns linked with Wrexham on 16:53 - May 11 by PhilTWTD

Wasn't Jonny Williams the only League Two player? And he was a bit of an exception as he'd been involved in the set-up for some years, probably wouldn't have been playing at that level but for injuries and subsequently retired from international football.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:57 - May 11 with 1492 viewsBloots

Burns linked with Wrexham on 16:53 - May 11 by PhilTWTD

[Post edited 11 May 2023 16:57]

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Burns linked with Wrexham on 16:59 - May 11 with 1484 viewstractorboy1978

Burns linked with Wrexham on 16:50 - May 11 by brazil1982

We will see Wrexham spend a staggering amount of money on fees and wages in the next two seasons, as they make their way to the Championship. It's not all unforeseeable that players would go there for a good pay packet.

How much money is actually behind Wrexham all told? They've obviously had the means to blow teams away at Conference level (with no SCMP regs) but everyone thought Salford would be blasting their way through the leagues and that didn't happen.
Burns linked with Wrexham on 16:59 - May 11 with 1479 viewsFrimleyBlue

Burns linked with Wrexham on 16:13 - May 11 by GavTWTD

Burns is nailed on playing for us in the Championship this season. Worst case scenario for him is he's backup for a new player but given how we rotate in the second half he'll get loads of appearances.

It's a ridiculous story.

Depends if we get the palace fella.
Can't see us getting him to play backup to Burns

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:06 - May 11 with 1460 viewsSharkey

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:57 - May 11 by Bloots

[Post edited 11 May 2023 16:57]

"Wasn't Jonny Williams the only League Two player? And he was a bit of an exception as he'd been involved in the set-up for some years, probably wouldn't have been playing at that level but for injuries and subsequently retired from international football."

Chris Gunter too. (And an identical scenario.)

(I do genuinely believe that if Emyr Huws hadn't been crocked by some Millwall thug in a pre-season 'friendly' he'd have been in with a shout too. They took midfielders from MK Dons and Dundee Utd who probably didn't have the same quality he has. )
[Post edited 11 May 2023 17:08]
Burns linked with Wrexham on 17:14 - May 11 with 1438 viewsVegtablue

Burns linked with Wrexham on 16:59 - May 11 by FrimleyBlue

Depends if we get the palace fella.
Can't see us getting him to play backup to Burns

Doesn't depend on that Frimley, unless the palace fella plays 46×90' and Burns isn't used elsewhere. Gav wrote he's nailed on to play Champ football with us, whether in a starting XI role or largely from the bench.
Burns linked with Wrexham on 17:22 - May 11 with 1405 viewsblueasfook

Can't see any player who is set to be playing championship football next season being willing to drop down to League 2 to join a rookie outfit. Even if they offer him some ridiculous wage.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:23 - May 11 with 1407 viewsPhilTWTD

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:06 - May 11 by Sharkey

"Wasn't Jonny Williams the only League Two player? And he was a bit of an exception as he'd been involved in the set-up for some years, probably wouldn't have been playing at that level but for injuries and subsequently retired from international football."

Chris Gunter too. (And an identical scenario.)

(I do genuinely believe that if Emyr Huws hadn't been crocked by some Millwall thug in a pre-season 'friendly' he'd have been in with a shout too. They took midfielders from MK Dons and Dundee Utd who probably didn't have the same quality he has. )
[Post edited 11 May 2023 17:08]

Forgot him, probably as he didn't play. Point remains the same though, that if you've got ambitions to play for Wales, League Two isn't the place to be.
Burns linked with Wrexham on 17:23 - May 11 with 1409 viewsVegtablue

Burns linked with Wrexham on 16:50 - May 11 by brazil1982

They'll need to do it all within the confines of FFP, so a mismatch in L2 but L1 will likely see its share of Champ-budget clubs. Don't think it's a given they make it in 2 seasons. Reynolds' net worth is reportedly £281m, which is a lot but not exactly Gamechanging if you'll pardon the pun. Chansiri is reportedly worth £500m+ and we know where Wednesday find themselves now.
Burns linked with Wrexham on 17:26 - May 11 with 1395 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Burns linked with Wrexham on 14:36 - May 11 by FrimleyBlue

What else is to be expected?

The club don't want twtd. Eadt and other people putting out exclusive transfer links.. so what's left is what ever comes up online elsewhere. Most will be rubbish of course but there's not much else to discuss about town right now so random links popping up should imo be OK to discuss even if they are laughable.

You always seem to find something to discuss

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Our fanbase needs to accept.... on 17:28 - May 11 with 1395 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Our fanbase needs to accept.... on 16:12 - May 11 by Bloots

....that we are going to sell players.

The nature of player trading (a phrase used by Ashton a number of times) is that the players we sell will inevitably be "fans favourites".

We will get top price for those that we do sell and we just have to trust that the replacements will be better.

We will sell players....it's what Ashton does.

Not to Wrexham, though.

Burns linked with Wrexham on 17:29 - May 11 with 1395 viewsringwoodblue

Wrexham signing Wes would be like us signing Miguel Almiron. What a joke!

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

Our fanbase needs to accept.... on 17:34 - May 11 with 1378 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Our fanbase needs to accept.... on 17:28 - May 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

Not to Wrexham, though.

Haha, OK Bloots, Wrexham are definitely going to buy Wes Burns.

Burns linked with Wrexham on 18:02 - May 11 with 1341 viewsitfcjoe

Burns linked with Wrexham on 16:34 - May 11 by PhilTWTD

That is how news works. We report what's happening, although worth mentioning with regard to the two players that we had previously reported that they'd been on trial and their backgrounds. Clickbait, such as the Burns-Wrexham story, isn't quite the same thing.

It certainly wasn’t a criticism, but different sites need to find different ways to drive interest and clicks

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Burns linked with Wrexham on 18:04 - May 11 with 1327 viewsbrazil1982

Burns linked with Wrexham on 17:23 - May 11 by Vegtablue

They'll need to do it all within the confines of FFP, so a mismatch in L2 but L1 will likely see its share of Champ-budget clubs. Don't think it's a given they make it in 2 seasons. Reynolds' net worth is reportedly £281m, which is a lot but not exactly Gamechanging if you'll pardon the pun. Chansiri is reportedly worth £500m+ and we know where Wednesday find themselves now.

I suspect FFP will be ignored!
[Redacted] on 18:08 - May 11 with 1319 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Burns linked with Wrexham on 18:23 - May 11 with 1313 viewsPhilTWTD

Burns linked with Wrexham on 18:02 - May 11 by itfcjoe

It certainly wasn’t a criticism, but different sites need to find different ways to drive interest and clicks

But just reporting nonsense stories - and I realise I open myself up to loads of old TWTD stories being quoted back at me! - is just dishonesty. Fake news!

This post has been edited by an administrator
Burns linked with Wrexham on 19:18 - May 11 with 1227 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Burns linked with Wrexham on 18:04 - May 11 by brazil1982

I suspect FFP will be ignored!

Nonetheless I suspect the pension fund have deeper pockets than the Hollywood duo. The owners have Premiership ambitions and will only sell players at this point if they intend to get better ones in.

Judging by the Jan window I think we can be assured the owners/Ashton/McKenna know what they are doing.
Burns linked with Wrexham on 19:19 - May 11 with 1223 viewsitfcjoe

Burns linked with Wrexham on 18:23 - May 11 by PhilTWTD

But just reporting nonsense stories - and I realise I open myself up to loads of old TWTD stories being quoted back at me! - is just dishonesty. Fake news!

This post has been edited by an administrator

In fairness to them the reporter who said it is someone with best part of 100k Twitter followers who has a decent sized media presence so isn’t as unreportable as it looks to us as ITFC fans

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Burns linked with Wrexham on 19:40 - May 11 with 1175 viewsIllinoisblue

Burns linked with Wrexham on 16:29 - May 11 by itfcjoe

TWTD is the best Ipswich news aggregator there is - it has a lot of it's own stories as well but it literally just finds the best Ipswich content via wherever it needs to come from and posts it.

i.e. in last couple of days it has effectvely reported 2 new youngster signings from their Insta posts

Not in any way comparable, really. The news snippets Phil posts are a side dish to the years and years of work he’s put in covering ITFC as an actual journalist.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Burns linked with Wrexham on 19:44 - May 11 with 1173 viewstractordownsouth

Burns linked with Wrexham on 15:16 - May 11 by Sharkey

Am I the only one who doesn't find this completely unfeasible? Paul Mullin dropped down two leagues to sign for them when he was 26, and I doubt he was out of pocket.

I bet Wrexham do sign at least one or two of Burns's calibre, on the same kind of wages Town pay.

And maybe they ARE prepared to pay over the going rate to buy players to emphasise their Welshness. Promoting the Welsh language has been mentioned as part of the 'project', and Burns is a fluent Welsh speaker.

https://news.sky.com/story/ryan-reynolds-and-rob-mcelhenney-honoured-for-promoti
[Post edited 11 May 2023 15:22]

There's more context to it though. There's not much difference financially between the bottom of League One (where Cambridge were when Mullin left) and the top of the National League but the gap between the Championship and League Two is huge and we won't be among the lowest spenders in the second tier either.

Once the promotion clause kicks in, Burns will probably be on near enough 10k a week here. You'd probably need to double that to make it worth dropping down two divisions and there's no way that even Wrexham will be paying a League Two footballer £1m a year.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024