Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Burns linked with Wrexham 12:27 - May 11 with 12063 viewsbluestandard

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/wrexham-identify-ipswich-town-and-huddersfield

Lol
Burns linked with Wrexham on 19:53 - May 11 with 1509 viewsKeno

Burns linked with Wrexham on 17:29 - May 11 by ringwoodblue

Wrexham signing Wes would be like us signing Miguel Almiron. What a joke!

Woah

you hear about Almiron coming hear as well? I thought that was hush hush

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Burns linked with Wrexham on 19:58 - May 11 with 1487 viewsKievthegreat

Burns linked with Wrexham on 17:23 - May 11 by Vegtablue

They'll need to do it all within the confines of FFP, so a mismatch in L2 but L1 will likely see its share of Champ-budget clubs. Don't think it's a given they make it in 2 seasons. Reynolds' net worth is reportedly £281m, which is a lot but not exactly Gamechanging if you'll pardon the pun. Chansiri is reportedly worth £500m+ and we know where Wednesday find themselves now.

That sounds a bit on the low side. He's estimated to be getting over $300m just for his stake in a mobile phone company that TMobile are buying out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64984291
Burns linked with Wrexham on 20:03 - May 11 with 1476 viewsMattinLondon

Burns linked with Wrexham on 16:59 - May 11 by tractorboy1978

How much money is actually behind Wrexham all told? They've obviously had the means to blow teams away at Conference level (with no SCMP regs) but everyone thought Salford would be blasting their way through the leagues and that didn't happen.

And before Salford, Fleetwood were the team to watch out for in terms of ambition- they kinda hit a brick wall.

The further up the pyramid a club goes, the harder it is to climb, plus you need tonnes more money. The capital spent by Wrexham is peanuts by most championship clubs. Ryan Reynolds and the other chap are wealthy but they don’t have a limited amount of it.

Yes, they have the Hollywood glamour and their mates will come to visit and watch but that doesn’t mean that they’ll take L1 and L2 just like that.
Burns linked with Wrexham on 20:13 - May 11 with 1446 viewstractordownsouth

Burns linked with Wrexham on 20:03 - May 11 by MattinLondon

And before Salford, Fleetwood were the team to watch out for in terms of ambition- they kinda hit a brick wall.

The further up the pyramid a club goes, the harder it is to climb, plus you need tonnes more money. The capital spent by Wrexham is peanuts by most championship clubs. Ryan Reynolds and the other chap are wealthy but they don’t have a limited amount of it.

Yes, they have the Hollywood glamour and their mates will come to visit and watch but that doesn’t mean that they’ll take L1 and L2 just like that.

Wrexham have a much higher ceiling than those two clubs but I agree with the general point. With Paul Mullin, on top of the wages there was also the idea that he was moving one step backwards to eventually take two forwards because give it a few years and there's every chance Wrexham will be above Cambridge.

It's not the same here though. Even if Reynolds/McElhenney continue to bankroll the club, they'll hit a brick wall in the Championship which is where are now and will probably continue to be so there's no long-term career incentive to drop down the levels.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Burns linked with Wrexham on 20:16 - May 11 with 1445 viewsSharkey

It's harder to get out of the National league than out of League 2. Luton were something like five years in the National league, but the higher they have gone since, the easier they seem to find it. I think it was a couple of seasons in league 2, and then they zipped straight through League 1, such was their momentum and the goodwill around the club. Now they're in the play-offs for the second year running.
Burns linked with Wrexham on 21:55 - May 11 with 1358 viewsReusersTown

Burns linked with Wrexham on 16:59 - May 11 by tractorboy1978

How much money is actually behind Wrexham all told? They've obviously had the means to blow teams away at Conference level (with no SCMP regs) but everyone thought Salford would be blasting their way through the leagues and that didn't happen.

Not even half of Marcus Evans, people have just been on the media hype pipe. Of course they can afford to make a dent in the Conference, luring Championship players or someone like Burns is absolute fictitious madness. The example of Mullin used earlier in this thread doesn't even bear comparison, they "lured" him from Cambridge FFS.
Burns linked with Wrexham on 21:58 - May 11 with 1352 viewsReusersTown

Burns linked with Wrexham on 17:29 - May 11 by ringwoodblue

Wrexham signing Wes would be like us signing Miguel Almiron. What a joke!

It would probably be even more ridiculous than that!
Burns linked with Wrexham on 23:29 - May 11 with 1293 viewslizzibee

We should throw in Broady and Evans into it too just so they can have all our Welsh players. In all seriousness - what lazy journalism. What player at the prime of their career would drop down two leagues and take less money. Its not even funny, it's too sad that there are no real stories.
Login to get fewer ads

Burns linked with Wrexham on 23:41 - May 11 with 1273 viewsArnieM

What do you call a Welshman, with a stick up his bum?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Burns linked with Wrexham on 10:11 - May 12 with 1159 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Obviously agree with the general point, but National League teams who go up have a pretty good track record and breezing League 2, certainly the wealthy ones. Stockport won the NL last year and should've got automatics in League two but wobbled at the wrong time, and Wrexham are a much better team than them, and that's before they even sign anyone. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they won League 2 next year.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Burns linked with Wrexham on 12:40 - May 12 with 1097 viewsVegtablue

Burns linked with Wrexham on 10:11 - May 12 by JammyDodgerrr

Obviously agree with the general point, but National League teams who go up have a pretty good track record and breezing League 2, certainly the wealthy ones. Stockport won the NL last year and should've got automatics in League two but wobbled at the wrong time, and Wrexham are a much better team than them, and that's before they even sign anyone. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they won League 2 next year.

I thought this was a cool stat and one I hadn't noticed before, but it doesn't reflect the experiences of the last 10 NL winners (I stopped my research at this point 😅). Sure the wealth point is important here, but no team has managed double promotions yet (over to you Stockport).

Mansfield = 11th, now home 🏡.
Luton = 8th, promotion 4th season.
Barnet = 15th, relegation 3rd season.
Cheltenham = 21st, promotion 5th season.
Lincoln = 7th, promotion 2nd season.
Macclesfield = 22nd, relegation 2nd season.
Leyton Orient = 17th, promotion 4th season.
Barrow = 21st, 22nd, 9th this season.
Sutton = 8th, 14th this season.
Stockport = 4th, still with a chance.

Available probabilities today give Wrexham a 54% chance of promotion with a 22% chance of winning. Personally I like those numbers, but I can see why they aren't Man City prices given how NL winners have performed historically. Where I think some posters on this thread have underestimated the challenge is in L1. I appreciate we were a basket case in our opening seasons down here but as a league this one really can get swampy. A few clubs will be able to compete financially and there are too many good players for Wrexham to hoard them all. Then the question arises, are R&R comfortable losing £5-10m of their personal wealth in a season? Time will tell of course.
Burns linked with Wrexham on 13:03 - May 12 with 1074 viewsPhilTWTD

Burns linked with Wrexham on 19:19 - May 11 by itfcjoe

In fairness to them the reporter who said it is someone with best part of 100k Twitter followers who has a decent sized media presence so isn’t as unreportable as it looks to us as ITFC fans

Strikes me as someone speculating outside their area of expertise. Looking at his Twitter, it's very Premier League/Champions League-centric.
Burns linked with Wrexham on 14:33 - May 12 with 996 viewsSharkey

Burns linked with Wrexham on 12:40 - May 12 by Vegtablue

I thought this was a cool stat and one I hadn't noticed before, but it doesn't reflect the experiences of the last 10 NL winners (I stopped my research at this point 😅). Sure the wealth point is important here, but no team has managed double promotions yet (over to you Stockport).

Mansfield = 11th, now home 🏡.
Luton = 8th, promotion 4th season.
Barnet = 15th, relegation 3rd season.
Cheltenham = 21st, promotion 5th season.
Lincoln = 7th, promotion 2nd season.
Macclesfield = 22nd, relegation 2nd season.
Leyton Orient = 17th, promotion 4th season.
Barrow = 21st, 22nd, 9th this season.
Sutton = 8th, 14th this season.
Stockport = 4th, still with a chance.

Available probabilities today give Wrexham a 54% chance of promotion with a 22% chance of winning. Personally I like those numbers, but I can see why they aren't Man City prices given how NL winners have performed historically. Where I think some posters on this thread have underestimated the challenge is in L1. I appreciate we were a basket case in our opening seasons down here but as a league this one really can get swampy. A few clubs will be able to compete financially and there are too many good players for Wrexham to hoard them all. Then the question arises, are R&R comfortable losing £5-10m of their personal wealth in a season? Time will tell of course.

I think Tranmere went straight through League 2 a few years ago (2019 -20, maybe?)
Burns linked with Wrexham on 15:43 - May 12 with 947 viewsVegtablue

Burns linked with Wrexham on 14:33 - May 12 by Sharkey

I think Tranmere went straight through League 2 a few years ago (2019 -20, maybe?)

I've had a look and you're right, twice through the playoffs before relegation the year after. There's one other club that's achieved the NL/L2 double promotion in the last 10 years: Bristol Rovers. I won't be silly and pretend Wrexham face the challenges most of these newly promoted sides have!

Salford provides a cautionary note, however. They are co-owned by Peter Lim (net worth $2.5bn) and the celebrity class of '92. Fair to say they've stalled since entering L2. My prediction is Wrexham will stall in L1 rather than L2.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024