Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worst Town XI 12:14 - Jun 17 with 8329 viewsFlorianFletcher

Any tweaks? We really have had some dross at times haven't we

(5-2-1-2 formation)

Will Norris

Jordan Spence
Josh Earl
Darren O'Dea
Ivar Ingimarsson
Zeki Fryers

Jonathan Douglas
Giles Coke

Paul Taylor

Balint Bajner
Leon Best

Poll: Thoughts on the away kit?

Worst Town XI on 15:59 - Jun 17 with 1689 viewsStewart27

26 posts in and no mention of Simon Dawkins.

Even that fraud Lambert didn’t fancy him after his sub cameo appearance.
Worst Town XI on 16:01 - Jun 17 with 1685 viewsMattinLondon

Giles Coke wasn’t that bad.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2023 16:01]
Worst Town XI on 16:16 - Jun 17 with 1665 viewstractordownsouth

Swtich the formation up, take Josh Earl out, replace him with Josh Harrop.

Zeki Fryers surely has to be the captain.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Worst Town XI on 16:17 - Jun 17 with 1664 viewstractordownsouth

Worst Town XI on 13:09 - Jun 17 by Churchman

I’ll go:

ALB (not as bad as Norris but sinking feeling whenever I heard his name on the team sheet)
Graham Harbey (‘liability’ covers it)
Thomas Gaardsoe (Thought he looked promising. He wasn’t)

Polish Pete (must have won a competition in a pub to play. Couldn’t play)
Drissa Diallo (he was so bad in pre season my dad started taking the Mickey loudly. His misses was sitting in front, as we found out later. She didn’t look happy and neither did we. Hopeless)

Jonathan Douglas (gets my vote as the worst player I’ve ever seen in an Ipswich shirt). Just awful. Every week.
Giles Coke (was he actually a player?)
Georges Santos (Looked bad, was bad)

Nathan ‘Duke’ Ellington (you could have used his shorts as sails on the Cutty Sark and it’d never have lost to Thermopylae. Woeful player)
Lee Chapman (tucked away his pension dough here for standing around. Stole a living)
Sylvan Eubanks-Blake (see Ellington. The state of him…)

You are right. We’ve had a lot of dross here. All the ones you mention, Nolan, drusy, Balkenstein, Lee Martin - oh how Man U must have laughed when Keane actually paid money for him. The list goes on.

Polish Pete! Forgot about him, what a player.

Worst Town XI on 16:19 - Jun 17 with 1661 viewstractordownsouth

Worst Town XI on 14:48 - Jun 17 by BlueBadger

You could pick pretty much any lineup from 18/19 and it would be tough to argue against

Talking of that team, player of the year candidate Matt Pennington is a wanted man.

Worst Town XI on 16:20 - Jun 17 with 1657 viewsBlueBadger

Worst Town XI on 16:19 - Jun 17 by tractordownsouth

Talking of that team, player of the year candidate Matt Pennington is a wanted man.

Quite the reflection on that side that a solid but unremarkable third division CB was player of the season really.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Worst Town XI on 16:34 - Jun 17 with 1647 viewsoldburian

Worst Town XI on 15:46 - Jun 17 by MedwayTractor

Thorburn played 10 games in Division 1 (top tier), then 14 after relegation to Div 2. He conceded 59 goals in those 24 games, including 6 at Liverpool, 9 at Stoke and 6 at Spurs, all in the space of a month. He kept just 4 clean sheets, oddly the only one of them in Div 1 was against Wolves, who included Ray Crawford, Town's all time top scorer!

Yes I saw that game. He started off very shakily then pulled off a really good save and was decent after that. We all thought that his confidence was back but sadly that was not the case, the next game he was all over the place.

You make the point that Crawford was playing for Wolves and Gerry Baker took it upon himself to make his point in comparison. And, if I remember correctly, he scored the winner.

Your stats go a long way to prove my assertion that he is the worst keeper in our history.

As a 16 year old in my first season out of school I did score against Tom Brown. I would therefore like to nominate him as our best ever keeper!
Worst Town XI on 16:41 - Jun 17 with 1640 viewstractordownsouth

Worst Town XI on 16:20 - Jun 17 by BlueBadger

Quite the reflection on that side that a solid but unremarkable third division CB was player of the season really.

Yep, anybody who wasn't completely terrible was in with a shout for that award.

Login to get fewer ads

Worst Town XI on 16:53 - Jun 17 with 1629 viewsVic

Worst Town XI on 13:09 - Jun 17 by Churchman

I’ll go:

ALB (not as bad as Norris but sinking feeling whenever I heard his name on the team sheet)
Graham Harbey (‘liability’ covers it)
Thomas Gaardsoe (Thought he looked promising. He wasn’t)

Polish Pete (must have won a competition in a pub to play. Couldn’t play)
Drissa Diallo (he was so bad in pre season my dad started taking the Mickey loudly. His misses was sitting in front, as we found out later. She didn’t look happy and neither did we. Hopeless)

Jonathan Douglas (gets my vote as the worst player I’ve ever seen in an Ipswich shirt). Just awful. Every week.
Giles Coke (was he actually a player?)
Georges Santos (Looked bad, was bad)

Nathan ‘Duke’ Ellington (you could have used his shorts as sails on the Cutty Sark and it’d never have lost to Thermopylae. Woeful player)
Lee Chapman (tucked away his pension dough here for standing around. Stole a living)
Sylvan Eubanks-Blake (see Ellington. The state of him…)

You are right. We’ve had a lot of dross here. All the ones you mention, Nolan, drusy, Balkenstein, Lee Martin - oh how Man U must have laughed when Keane actually paid money for him. The list goes on.

Churchy - it's the first time I've ever given you a 'downie', but I have to for your comments about Douglas. Granted he was poor before he left, but his first season was OK. I defo say we've had a lot worse than him. Andy Drury immediately comes to mind.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Worst Town XI on 17:06 - Jun 17 with 1615 viewsChurchman

Worst Town XI on 16:53 - Jun 17 by Vic

Churchy - it's the first time I've ever given you a 'downie', but I have to for your comments about Douglas. Granted he was poor before he left, but his first season was OK. I defo say we've had a lot worse than him. Andy Drury immediately comes to mind.

You are probably right. Over egged it. Particularly against some of the other candidates I and others have put forward. I shall correct - Douglas was actually the player that depressed me more than any other (wasn’t at the Mark Fish game but in any case like Polish Pete, his attendance on the field was limited!)

He really did get to me. Even in his first season I couldn’t see why he was there. Every time his name was on the team sheet I thought ‘oh no, we’re down to 10 men again’.

But I never booed him. Just sat there in stony disbelief praying. I don’t hold with booing our players or hurling abuse at them. The opposition - a different story!
Worst Town XI on 17:06 - Jun 17 with 1615 viewsAYACCA

Marco Holster was the worst player I ever saw
Worst Town XI on 17:08 - Jun 17 with 1614 viewsSE1blue

George O’Callaghan should never have been allowed to wear an Ipswich shirt.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Worst Town XI on 17:13 - Jun 17 with 1599 viewsHelp

Ulrich la pen
Worst Town XI on 17:20 - Jun 17 with 1590 viewsStu_boy

Drinan, macken and proudlock are worth a special mention
Worst Town XI on 17:44 - Jun 17 with 1574 viewsChurchman

Worst Town XI on 17:06 - Jun 17 by AYACCA

That’s a great shout. When I first saw him, I thought ‘can he be that bad?’. Maybe it’s just nerves. Nope, he was that bad. George had a great eye for a player, but the Holstermeister was not his finest hour.

How about Conor Salmon? - couldn’t hit a cows ar£e with a banjo. Did score once, though!
Worst Town XI on 17:49 - Jun 17 with 1571 viewsBoy_Railey

Worst Town XI on 13:42 - Jun 17 by oldburian

You young ones have never experienced a goalkeeper the standard of Jim Thorburn, Jackie Milburn signed him from Raith Rovers who had been relegated with goals conceded in excess of 130. When we had Marshall Tony Garnett and I reckoned he was the worse since him but not as bad.

We also signed their centre half, Jack Bolton, who actually was not the worst. Jackie Milburn did have an eye for a player, Danny Hegan and Frank Brogan spring to mind, but he must have had an eye infection in signing Thorburn. His confidence was totally shot.

I have looked on the internet for his career and he is apparently revered in Scotland as a ‘legendary goalkeeper’ Says a lot for the standard in Scotland at the time!
[Post edited 17 Jun 2023 14:01]

Thornurn attempting a throw out to a defender v Chelsea, instead three it in his own net
Worst Town XI on 21:44 - Jun 17 with 1496 viewsWakh

Worst Town XI on 17:06 - Jun 17 by AYACCA

Was just just looking through to see if anyone had mentioned hom before doing so and you beat me to it.

Did nothing before we signed him. Did nothing after he left and did nothing while he was here either. Far worse than most of the mentioned names.
Worst Town XI on 22:05 - Jun 17 with 1489 viewsmonty_radio

Worst Town XI on 13:50 - Jun 17 by pointofblue

Since I started following Town…

Pullen

Veseli
Karbassiyoon
Fish
Scales

Harrop
Barry
Coke
Norfolk

Brekke Skaard
Axedal
[Post edited 17 Jun 2023 14:09]

I don't remember fish scales, but that means you've only got 10 so you need one more. Phil the gap with Ham (or not!)
[Post edited 17 Jun 2023 22:07]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Worst Town XI on 22:15 - Jun 17 with 1481 viewsmonty_radio

Worst Town XI on 16:34 - Jun 17 by oldburian

Yes I saw that game. He started off very shakily then pulled off a really good save and was decent after that. We all thought that his confidence was back but sadly that was not the case, the next game he was all over the place.

You make the point that Crawford was playing for Wolves and Gerry Baker took it upon himself to make his point in comparison. And, if I remember correctly, he scored the winner.

Your stats go a long way to prove my assertion that he is the worst keeper in our history.

As a 16 year old in my first season out of school I did score against Tom Brown. I would therefore like to nominate him as our best ever keeper!

I read that Tom Brown played his final 3 games in August '51 so hats off to you. I only go as far back as Roy Bailey and Wilf Hall who I'm not sure I ever saw play

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Worst Town XI on 22:19 - Jun 17 with 1475 viewsGeoffSentence

Worst Town XI on 12:17 - Jun 17 by ParisBlue

Vermund Brekke Skard should be the first name on this list.

Yes, he would have been a truly cr@p keeper.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Worst Town XI on 22:21 - Jun 17 with 1474 viewsChurchman

Worst Town XI on 22:05 - Jun 17 by monty_radio

I don't remember fish scales, but that means you've only got 10 so you need one more. Phil the gap with Ham (or not!)
[Post edited 17 Jun 2023 22:07]

Got to be Conor Salmon if we are going down the fish route?
Worst Town XI on 22:22 - Jun 17 with 1476 viewsCoastalblue

None of these threads are ever complete without a mention of David Hill. You know that story about the postman playing in the FA Cup and it being the highlight of his life? Well he's Messi compared to David Hill.

Agree with others though, Gaardsoe a bad shout.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Worst Town XI on 22:32 - Jun 17 with 1469 viewsGeoffSentence

Worst Town XI on 22:22 - Jun 17 by Coastalblue

None of these threads are ever complete without a mention of David Hill. You know that story about the postman playing in the FA Cup and it being the highlight of his life? Well he's Messi compared to David Hill.

Agree with others though, Gaardsoe a bad shout.

Who the feeck said Gaardsoe? Whomever it was should hang their head in shame and leave the board never to return.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Worst Town XI on 22:38 - Jun 17 with 1456 viewsChurchman

Worst Town XI on 22:32 - Jun 17 by GeoffSentence

Who the feeck said Gaardsoe? Whomever it was should hang their head in shame and leave the board never to return.

I confess. I think that was me! I remembered him being rubbish. I’m probably wrong

I’ll get my coat.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2023 22:45]
Worst Town XI on 22:53 - Jun 17 with 1432 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Luke Matherson also has to be in with a shout?

I would agree with those who have stated O'Dea to be tbe worst player to pull on a Town shirt.

Best
Ebanks Blake
Ellington

All awful

Who was the striker we signed on loan from perterborough?

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024