Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McNally having a medical 18:40 - Jul 31 with 11162 viewsSitfcB

…at Stoke.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

McNally having a medical on 22:19 - Jul 31 with 2235 viewsBloomBlue

McNally having a medical on 22:04 - Jul 31 by JDB23

Bit strange that. Could understand moving there on a permanent as many factors will go into that decision, but surely for a one season loan you'd want to play under McKenna who would surely improve you as a player massively.

Feel like we're massively struggling this window, not sure what is proving to be such a hard sell.

We obviously see McK as a top manager but he isn't the only manager who will improve players, not every player will be swayed by the McK factor.

It's also possible he likes the idea of Stoke as its closer to his family?
McNally having a medical on 22:21 - Jul 31 with 2202 viewsburnbudgiesburn

McNally having a medical on 21:51 - Jul 31 by itfcjoe

A real shame - a lot of time and energy has gone into this target, and Trusty - finding it difficult and club will be very frustrated.

Told us, Stoke and one other Champ club had all agreed terms with Burnley and down to the choice of the player

Re Trusty, I really don't think we can compete with newly promoted Prem sides on a level playing field. Nor do I think we are yet at a position to pay £5m for a single player until we make profits from player trading due to FFP.

I never personally thought Trusty was a goer.

[Post edited 31 Jul 2023 22:23]
McNally having a medical on 22:28 - Jul 31 with 2156 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

A real shame - a lot of time and energy has gone into this target, and Trusty - finding it difficult and club will be very frustrated.

Told us, Stoke and one other Champ club had all agreed terms with Burnley and down to the choice of the player

A big shame that.

The reason I see us as a mid table team going in to next season (which I would be happy with btw) as oppose to a top 6 challenger is down to our business. We haven't strengthened the squad to the extent it was alluded to by the clubs hierarchy. Im sure McKenna who we are told is very specific with his targets is very frustrated that we keep missing out on them.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

McNally having a medical on 22:29 - Jul 31 with 2150 viewsLankHenners

McNally having a medical on 22:09 - Jul 31 by SitfcB

A lot of people from the outside still see us just as a ‘league one side that’s just been promoted’ unfortunately.

But if he had talks with us, and spoke to McKenna and or Ashton but chose Stoke then more fool him.

Yep, as much as people can get carried away by 'the project' here and fawn over everything Ashton says, at the end of the day we've just come up from league one and are competing in the transfer market against established Championship sides.

For a lot of people we're still a bit of an unknown this season, which is either seen as exciting or a risk by potential targets.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

McNally having a medical on 22:31 - Jul 31 with 2116 viewspointofblue

If we really spent a lot of time pursuing Trusty then I fear we're over-reaching, and missing out on more likely targets because of it.

McNally was a reasonable target, and yet... :(

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

McNally having a medical on 22:32 - Jul 31 with 2098 viewsKieran_Knows

McNally having a medical on 22:28 - Jul 31 by TRUE_BLUE123

A big shame that.

The reason I see us as a mid table team going in to next season (which I would be happy with btw) as oppose to a top 6 challenger is down to our business. We haven't strengthened the squad to the extent it was alluded to by the clubs hierarchy. Im sure McKenna who we are told is very specific with his targets is very frustrated that we keep missing out on them.

Yup, the ‘squad’ isn’t top 6 material at all. Starting 11, maybe, but definitely not the rest of the squad.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

McNally having a medical on 22:38 - Jul 31 with 2051 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

McNally having a medical on 22:32 - Jul 31 by Kieran_Knows

Yup, the ‘squad’ isn’t top 6 material at all. Starting 11, maybe, but definitely not the rest of the squad.

Agreed

As things stand we are a Woolfie injury away from a partnership of Edmundson and Burgess.

No disrespect intended but that is pretty scary. Ashton needs to really step on the gas and get some bodies in
[Post edited 31 Jul 2023 22:38]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

McNally having a medical on 22:53 - Jul 31 with 1969 viewstractorboy1978

McNally having a medical on 22:31 - Jul 31 by pointofblue

If we really spent a lot of time pursuing Trusty then I fear we're over-reaching, and missing out on more likely targets because of it.

McNally was a reasonable target, and yet... :(

You could argue we were over reaching trying to sign Clarke and Broadhead in January. We have to be ambitious - some will come off and some won’t. If we’ve spent a decent chunk of time on a player then we’ve been given positive feedback and think it’s viable.

Ashton and McKenna will be frustrated at the moment regardless of what gets said in public. We are clearly short of where we’d like to be at the moment.
Login to get fewer ads

McNally having a medical on 22:55 - Jul 31 with 1948 viewsburnbudgiesburn

McNally having a medical on 22:53 - Jul 31 by tractorboy1978

You could argue we were over reaching trying to sign Clarke and Broadhead in January. We have to be ambitious - some will come off and some won’t. If we’ve spent a decent chunk of time on a player then we’ve been given positive feedback and think it’s viable.

Ashton and McKenna will be frustrated at the moment regardless of what gets said in public. We are clearly short of where we’d like to be at the moment.

Exactly this.

We want quality players rather than squad fillers. And if we want quality players then we will be in competition for them from peer clubs in this division who are also established at this level.
McNally having a medical on 22:56 - Jul 31 with 1942 viewsGuthrum

McNally having a medical on 21:21 - Jul 31 by ITFCBlues

Agreed. We've spent the last 6 months or whatever saying how we're really going to attack this league and how ambitious the owners are etc... But we've not really shown that in the transfer market this summer so far.

There is a long way to go, but we appear to be struggling to get in the targets we want.

I think, as others have said, it's the difference between aspirations and reality.

We are untested at this level, plenty of promoted teams go back down. Certainly there is no guarantee we will do well, looking from the outside. ITFC is now an ordinary Championship team (until proven otherwise), rather than a big fish in League One. Win our first few fixtures and players might become more interested approaching deadline day.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

McNally having a medical on 23:01 - Jul 31 with 1900 viewsHerbivore

Bit strange that. Could understand moving there on a permanent as many factors will go into that decision, but surely for a one season loan you'd want to play under McKenna who would surely improve you as a player massively.

Feel like we're massively struggling this window, not sure what is proving to be such a hard sell.

I'd say it's the other way round personally. On a permanent, the project is more of a selling point and he can justify uprooting himself to be part of it. For a season long loan it's about getting game time and going to Stoke he may not even have to move, it's not all that far from Burnley, certainly in comparison to Ipswich.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

McNally having a medical on 23:05 - Jul 31 with 1882 viewspointofblue

McNally having a medical on 22:53 - Jul 31 by tractorboy1978

It just feels like last summer to me, and I am concerned that we'll be chasing our tail at the end of August because of it. And in 2022, that resulted in us scrabbling for Ahadme, who could not have been a McKenna target, and Camara, who was seemingly signed to give our physio something to do.

We had the money to make up for it in January last season. This year will be different. Admittedly, if we're just looking to consolidate, I think we should have enough about us now to finish midtable, as long as we don't lose more than one centre back at a time to injury/suspension.

McNally having a medical on 23:07 - Jul 31 with 1865 viewsJDB23

McNally having a medical on 23:01 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

I'd say it's the other way round personally. On a permanent, the project is more of a selling point and he can justify uprooting himself to be part of it. For a season long loan it's about getting game time and going to Stoke he may not even have to move, it's not all that far from Burnley, certainly in comparison to Ipswich.

Maybe. For me a loan is all about personal development as a footballer and out of those options I know which one I'd go for, may be the blue tinted glasses though.
McNally having a medical on 23:10 - Jul 31 with 1840 viewspointofblue

McNally having a medical on 23:01 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

Stoke's an hour or so closer by road to Burnley than Coventry is, and that's where he played last year. So location could be part of it.

McNally having a medical on 23:33 - Jul 31 with 1754 viewsRKD

Can’t help but shake my head at some of the comments from doubters in this thread.

Gamechanger, Ashton and McKenna have come up trumps more often than not in terms of recruitment since their arrival.

For me, they have enough credit in the bank for me not to panic. As others have said, the ambition was what resulted us in landing Clarke and Broadhead in January.

In addition to that, McKenna and Ashton have managed to secure long term targets such as Hirst and Taylor, even if they weren’t acquired as soon as they would have liked. For me, that instills confidence that there is a longterm, methodised plan.

Supporting Ipswich during a transfer window these days is a far cry from the Bosman roulette countdowns of Paul Jewell, or the Hurst Purge. Moreover, if this was an Evans and McCarthy summer we would be announcing the signing of some 17 year old Irish winger called Shay McLaughlin for a fee of 14k from Waterford.

Chill out guys.

Poll: Edwards goal - shot or cross?

McNally having a medical on 07:27 - Aug 1 with 1524 viewsitfcjoe

Stoke have spent a long time in the PL, will no doubt have incredible facilities, have a manager who has promoted teams out of this league before and has been heavily backed this window

Also, geographically is about as central as it gets and for a player who has spent last 2 season ls at Coventry and Oxford, and now in NW will likely be very convenient.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

McNally having a medical on 07:41 - Aug 1 with 1468 viewsBlueySwede

If McKenna is missing out on his top torgets its a concern.
Slightly underwhelmed with the transfer window so far. Im not expecting signings for 5-10 millions of pounds, but we need a few quality players in. Even Ashton has said so. We wont go down with the current squad, but a feeling of stagnation this season wouldnt be good either.
McNally having a medical on 07:57 - Aug 1 with 1418 viewsChurchman

McNally having a medical on 07:27 - Aug 1 by itfcjoe

Stoke have spent a long time in the PL, will no doubt have incredible facilities, have a manager who has promoted teams out of this league before and has been heavily backed this window

Also, geographically is about as central as it gets and for a player who has spent last 2 season ls at Coventry and Oxford, and now in NW will likely be very convenient.

I would add that if a player doesn’t want to come here, we are better off without them. One of the things that struck me about the current team was their desire to be here. Just look at George Hirst. That has to be a good thing.

Patience. We will be fine. Transfers take £, a will on the players part, Agents, the requirements of our club and an eye on the rules. Not easy. If Stoke are going for it, good for them. If Coventry are spending £5m on Simms, great. It’s been made clear the what and why of how we are doing things re transfers including radio silence till they’re done and dusted.

This clearly frustrates some who much prefer rumour, leaks from the club, promises that may be kept, the signing of people on the cheap (because there’s a problem with them). The good old days. I do not.

I don’t think anyone has much idea who the club has been looking at, numbers or personnel wise. I read that ‘Ashton has to get his finger out’, ‘McKenna/Ashton disappointed’. We don’t actually know.

What we do know is that unlike two years ago when we shambled into the new season with loads of signings and no team, this season we are starting with the opposite. I know where I would rather be.

The point people are fast to forget is that a good team was strengthened with four players in Jan. that was because the new people fitted what we wanted and were available. They all proved great additions.

Yes, this summer has been just a keeper, a forward on loan, loanee made permanent and a midfielder and I’d love to see another centre half and forward in the building, but if the right people aren’t available (or prefer the dump that is Stoke in a club managed by a hobbit), I’m happy to start with what we have.
McNally having a medical on 08:12 - Aug 1 with 1369 viewsitfcjoe

McNally having a medical on 07:57 - Aug 1 by Churchman

I would add that if a player doesn’t want to come here, we are better off without them. One of the things that struck me about the current team was their desire to be here. Just look at George Hirst. That has to be a good thing.

Patience. We will be fine. Transfers take £, a will on the players part, Agents, the requirements of our club and an eye on the rules. Not easy. If Stoke are going for it, good for them. If Coventry are spending £5m on Simms, great. It’s been made clear the what and why of how we are doing things re transfers including radio silence till they’re done and dusted.

This clearly frustrates some who much prefer rumour, leaks from the club, promises that may be kept, the signing of people on the cheap (because there’s a problem with them). The good old days. I do not.

I don’t think anyone has much idea who the club has been looking at, numbers or personnel wise. I read that ‘Ashton has to get his finger out’, ‘McKenna/Ashton disappointed’. We don’t actually know.

What we do know is that unlike two years ago when we shambled into the new season with loads of signings and no team, this season we are starting with the opposite. I know where I would rather be.

The point people are fast to forget is that a good team was strengthened with four players in Jan. that was because the new people fitted what we wanted and were available. They all proved great additions.

Yes, this summer has been just a keeper, a forward on loan, loanee made permanent and a midfielder and I’d love to see another centre half and forward in the building, but if the right people aren’t available (or prefer the dump that is Stoke in a club managed by a hobbit), I’m happy to start with what we have.

We chased George Hirst all last summer, and he didn't want to be here.....and subsequently came when he failed at Blackburn

Sam Morsy didn't want to be here when we signed him

Sure there are others, but McNally electing Stoke over us is just one of those things - ultimately any player who signs a contract wants to be here and if Stoke pull out today and he ends up here there isn't a stain on his character of him originally preferring a move elsewhere

McNally having a medical on 08:23 - Aug 1 with 1308 viewsLeoMuff

McNally having a medical on 08:12 - Aug 1 by itfcjoe

We chased George Hirst all last summer, and he didn't want to be here.....and subsequently came when he failed at Blackburn

Sam Morsy didn't want to be here when we signed him

Sure there are others, but McNally electing Stoke over us is just one of those things - ultimately any player who signs a contract wants to be here and if Stoke pull out today and he ends up here there isn't a stain on his character of him originally preferring a move elsewhere

It was always going to be a tough window, why would players take a risk with us over say Stoke ? Probably the contracts are similar, so why come to the newly promoted side ?

We probably need to prove ourselves here or pick up some undiscovered gems, otherwise competing for the upper champ lower prem players will be very difficult

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

McNally having a medical on 08:31 - Aug 1 with 1284 viewsitfcjoe

McNally having a medical on 08:23 - Aug 1 by LeoMuff

It was always going to be a tough window, why would players take a risk with us over say Stoke ? Probably the contracts are similar, so why come to the newly promoted side ?

We probably need to prove ourselves here or pick up some undiscovered gems, otherwise competing for the upper champ lower prem players will be very difficult

The difference now is we have competition for our targets whereas in L1 we were really the only show in town.

But we have to get used to that, you'll invest a lot of time and energy in players - some will get over the line, and some you'll miss out on. But that will be the same for all clubs, all clubs will 'waste' time chasing players who go elsewhere and it can't be avoided.

You can't lessen the quality of who you chase in that fear, but as ever there is a limited pool of players and talent to search in and there will be competition - we don't seem to have a worldwide scouting network up and running as yet judging by targets so maybe in future windows we will be able to cast net wider but we aren't there yet

Word up ba on 08:54 - Aug 1 with 1210 viewsDyland

McNally having a medical on 23:33 - Jul 31 by RKD

Can’t help but shake my head at some of the comments from doubters in this thread.

Gamechanger, Ashton and McKenna have come up trumps more often than not in terms of recruitment since their arrival.

For me, they have enough credit in the bank for me not to panic. As others have said, the ambition was what resulted us in landing Clarke and Broadhead in January.

In addition to that, McKenna and Ashton have managed to secure long term targets such as Hirst and Taylor, even if they weren’t acquired as soon as they would have liked. For me, that instills confidence that there is a longterm, methodised plan.

Supporting Ipswich during a transfer window these days is a far cry from the Bosman roulette countdowns of Paul Jewell, or the Hurst Purge. Moreover, if this was an Evans and McCarthy summer we would be announcing the signing of some 17 year old Irish winger called Shay McLaughlin for a fee of 14k from Waterford.

Chill out guys.

"Moreover, if this was an Evans and McCarthy summer we would be announcing the signing of some 17 year old Irish winger called Shay McLaughlin for a fee of 14k from Waterford."

Plus Leon Best on a pay as you play one year deal.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

McNally having a medical on 09:10 - Aug 1 with 1142 viewsBiGDonnie

McNally having a medical on 23:33 - Jul 31 by RKD

Chill out guys.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Some of the comments are utterly embarrassing. Top post.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

McNally having a medical on 10:22 - Aug 1 with 1035 viewsThe_Realist_09

McNally having a medical on 08:31 - Aug 1 by itfcjoe

The difference now is we have competition for our targets whereas in L1 we were really the only show in town.

But we have to get used to that, you'll invest a lot of time and energy in players - some will get over the line, and some you'll miss out on. But that will be the same for all clubs, all clubs will 'waste' time chasing players who go elsewhere and it can't be avoided.

You can't lessen the quality of who you chase in that fear, but as ever there is a limited pool of players and talent to search in and there will be competition - we don't seem to have a worldwide scouting network up and running as yet judging by targets so maybe in future windows we will be able to cast net wider but we aren't there yet

I think the last bit is key. If you look at the clubs who have the best success with sustainable models of player trading, they all utilise extremely clever worldwide scouting.

Shopping in UK markets where everything is known about every player, it's going to be very difficult to find under-valued players. Usually these are over-valued if anything.

I hope our lack of movement outside of the UK is just because it is early days, but I think we will need to be smarter going forwards.
McNally having a medical on 17:22 - Aug 2 with 743 viewsSitfcB

Confirmed. (Says Stoke made contact with Burnley in January)

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024