Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th 01:16 - Aug 1 with 3603 viewsquirkie

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/07/championship-2023-24-season-predictions-opta/

What was it a ZX81 they ran it on?

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 01:20 - Aug 1 with 3090 viewsPerublue

Regarding Opta … did I imagine it or did Finidi George hold the record for the highest rating once for the Derby match ?
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 1:21]

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 02:27 - Aug 1 with 3007 viewsKropotkin123

NTT20 had us 3rd!!!

Make sure to get your prediction in:
Kropotkin and Tractordownsouth's 2023-24 prediction competition by tractordownsouth 26 Jul 2023 17:26
It's that time of year again.

Scoring system is the same as last year. You predict every team’s position and get one point for every position that team finishes away from your prediction. For example, if you predict Millwall to finish 4th and they finish 7th, you will get 3 points. All the teams are added to the total so the objective is to get as few points as possible.

Any tiebreakers will be decided first by who predicts Town’s position most accurately and then by whose 1st placed predicted team finishes closest to the title, then 2nd place, then 3rd.

Kropotkin is doing the spread sheets so there are a few ground rules:

Don’t number teams as 1,2,3 etc or put champions, relegated, just list them in order of your predicted table.

Use the full name of each team as below so it’s easier to pick up on the spreadsheet.

Closing date is 4th August at 8pm.

Birmingham City
Blackburn Rovers
Bristol City
Cardiff City
Coventry City
Huddersfield Town
Hull City
Ipswich Town
Leeds United
Leicester City
Middlesbrough
Millwall
Norwich City
Plymouth Argyle
Preston North End
Queens Park Rangers
Rotherham United
Sheffield Wednesday
Southampton
Stoke City
Sunderland
Swansea City
Watford
West Bromwich Albion

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 04:01 - Aug 1 with 2951 viewsFrankMarshall

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 01:20 - Aug 1 by Perublue

Regarding Opta … did I imagine it or did Finidi George hold the record for the highest rating once for the Derby match ?
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 1:21]

Just for that match. To be fair he was really good against Derby. Shame about the consistency.

Frank Marshall

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 04:05 - Aug 1 with 2946 viewsFrankMarshall

They weren't that accurate last season, though have been fairly accurate prior to that:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/championship-computer-predictions-p

Frank Marshall

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 07:44 - Aug 1 with 2620 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

I do personally think some people are underrating the challenge this season. I don’t think an anecdotal watch of the odd Championship game reflects the upgrade on the L1, and obviously a long season to keep up any momentum.

Think we will be comfortable, but surprised how many are expecting top 6. Happy to eat my words, but whilst the first team is strong, I do think some of our squad players will struggle to make the step up. A season of mid table and continuing to build in my humble opinion (and I’ll be very happy with that!).
Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 07:49 - Aug 1 with 2597 viewsYppswyche

The all-knowing robot predicted Sunderland to come 24th.
Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 07:51 - Aug 1 with 2584 viewsSheffordBlue

I looked at 11 different pundits, supercomputer predictors etc and our average position was 7th with a range of 3rd to 18th.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 07:58 - Aug 1 with 2556 viewsGeoffSentence

The link seems to have moved here

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/08/championship-2023-24-season-predictions-opta/

The standouts to me from that is that they are confident of the top 3 and really, very, very confident of the bottom 1.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 08:11 - Aug 1 with 2458 viewsChurchman

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 07:44 - Aug 1 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I do personally think some people are underrating the challenge this season. I don’t think an anecdotal watch of the odd Championship game reflects the upgrade on the L1, and obviously a long season to keep up any momentum.

Think we will be comfortable, but surprised how many are expecting top 6. Happy to eat my words, but whilst the first team is strong, I do think some of our squad players will struggle to make the step up. A season of mid table and continuing to build in my humble opinion (and I’ll be very happy with that!).

On what do you base the assertion of ‘underrating the challenge this season’? It isn’t the PL, it’s the Championship second tier. Many people watched us compete in it for what, 18 years? Before that in Duncan, Lyall and Burley’s time too. Yes I watched plenty on tv last season, the good and the bad. We played two Championship teams last year, albeit weakened ones with our weakened team. Play off winners Sunderland coped alright too.

The Championship has always been what it is, a ham and egg league laced with a few decent teams. All you ever needed to get out of it at the right end was good organisation, a bit of team spirit and a few good players. Nothing has changed. Its standard is much the same.

It’s a better than L1, obviously, but I’d argue that the top six or seven of last years L1 were as good as the bottom mob in the Championship. I don’t think we really know how good or light we are. I think the way we play and the cohesion we have will stand us in good stead, though the unknown is how that’ll stand up under pressure and how quickly the team will adapt.

I think we might do rather well. Top six? Go for it, though if I gambled I’d put money on 6-10.
Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:02 - Aug 1 with 2269 viewsGuthrum

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 07:51 - Aug 1 by SheffordBlue

I looked at 11 different pundits, supercomputer predictors etc and our average position was 7th with a range of 3rd to 18th.

Which suggest that, unsurprisingly, nobody had any real idea.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:11 - Aug 1 with 2222 viewsthe_toff

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 07:51 - Aug 1 by SheffordBlue

You could almost conclude that these predictions are about as useful as a chocolate fire guard.
Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:17 - Aug 1 with 2185 viewsSomethingBlue

I think it's more likely than 3rd tbh – but expect we'll finish somewhere in the middle.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:21 - Aug 1 with 2168 viewsthe_toff

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 08:11 - Aug 1 by Churchman

On what do you base the assertion of ‘underrating the challenge this season’? It isn’t the PL, it’s the Championship second tier. Many people watched us compete in it for what, 18 years? Before that in Duncan, Lyall and Burley’s time too. Yes I watched plenty on tv last season, the good and the bad. We played two Championship teams last year, albeit weakened ones with our weakened team. Play off winners Sunderland coped alright too.

The Championship has always been what it is, a ham and egg league laced with a few decent teams. All you ever needed to get out of it at the right end was good organisation, a bit of team spirit and a few good players. Nothing has changed. Its standard is much the same.

It’s a better than L1, obviously, but I’d argue that the top six or seven of last years L1 were as good as the bottom mob in the Championship. I don’t think we really know how good or light we are. I think the way we play and the cohesion we have will stand us in good stead, though the unknown is how that’ll stand up under pressure and how quickly the team will adapt.

I think we might do rather well. Top six? Go for it, though if I gambled I’d put money on 6-10.

+1

I think it's more likely that people underestimate just how good a side we are than underestimate the quality of the opposition and standard of the division. Don't get me wrong, there's some strong sides, not least those coming down from the Premier League, but I think there's a lot of Town fans scarred by our last spell in the 2nd tier and think Cardiff and QPR represent superior opposition. They're not, frankly. I don't think we'll go up this season, I think we'll possibly fall short of the top 6 too, but I would be very surprised if we're outside of the top 12.
Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:24 - Aug 1 with 2155 viewsSheffordBlue

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:02 - Aug 1 by Guthrum

Which suggest that, unsurprisingly, nobody had any real idea.

Wisdom of the crowds has been shown to have some success. It would be interesting to see at the end of the season how an average of the 'experts' matched up against an average of all the TWTDers who have had a go at predictions.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:28 - Aug 1 with 2114 viewsNaylorsrightboot

This is probably quite accurate. The task this season is going to be a lot harder than people think. It's already proving difficult to get signing in as we are seeing. The season will be a hard slog and a big learning curve l fear.
Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:30 - Aug 1 with 2110 viewsITFCBlues

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:24 - Aug 1 by SheffordBlue

Wisdom of the crowds has been shown to have some success. It would be interesting to see at the end of the season how an average of the 'experts' matched up against an average of all the TWTDers who have had a go at predictions.

Mid table probably right. Unfortunately, we've still not improved the squad from last season. No idea how anyone can have us any higher than mid table based on this.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:31 - Aug 1 with 2100 viewsBiGDonnie

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:28 - Aug 1 by Naylorsrightboot

This is probably quite accurate. The task this season is going to be a lot harder than people think. It's already proving difficult to get signing in as we are seeing. The season will be a hard slog and a big learning curve l fear.

Agree, you've made some ropey signings in Barnes and Stacey and will probably be fighting for survival with QPR, Wednesday and Cardiff.

Ipswich on the other hand have a solid group of young players who excelled last year and know the managers brilliant system very well.

We won't see you on TWTD after October.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:43 - Aug 1 with 2036 viewsBiGDonnie

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:30 - Aug 1 by ITFCBlues

Mid table probably right. Unfortunately, we've still not improved the squad from last season. No idea how anyone can have us any higher than mid table based on this.

Where do you think most people had Leicester to finish the year they won the prem?

COYBs

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:49 - Aug 1 with 2007 viewsBluroo

I've read loads of threads about predictions, so I'll put mine here:

I'll be happy with anything above relegation for the first season back, as we establish ourselves in the Championship, but I genuinely think we can be up in the top 6 at least. Reasons to support the theory are:

• I think we've struck gold with KM, he's the best young manager in the country, you have to factor in the fact he continually improves players and the team and we are going into the season with spirit, confidence and momentum.

• Our performances and results were better against teams that play football and we'll enjoy a lot more of that this season. Looking at results such as Bolton, Barnsley, Derby and P'boro last season, away to teams fighting. They'd be good results for an upper Championship team.

• I do believe our results against Millwall, Rotherham, Burnley, PNE and Luton in the last 12 months further point to the likelihood we can compete.

• Honestly, if our current team played our team that was relegated in 18/19 we'd batter them, 6 points easily, we've got so much more cohesion, desire, dynamism and tactical shape than we had back then.

• We've built a squad and developed playing style designed to compete in the Championship. That approach possibly made promotion harder (where perhaps a more agricultural style might have yielded quicker results) but it's now embedded and more sustainable going forwards.

• The fact that other "footballing" sides have excelled in the league above once promoted shows that its possible and we're essentially following that blueprint.

• We've got the ability to strengthen both in August and January - and I expect we will.

• I'm not under the misapprehension that the Championship is EASY as the basis of my prediction. On the contrary, it's based on the feeling that we are GOOD enough to compete within that level of difficulty.

So there we have it. It's all guesses at the end of the day. But it's certainly amusing to be told to "calm down" by the same fans that were saying we weren't good enough for the playoffs last season....
Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:52 - Aug 1 with 1993 viewsthe_toff

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:43 - Aug 1 by BiGDonnie

Where do you think most people had Leicester to finish the year they won the prem?

You couldn't write it, I was at a non league game on the opening day of that season. After the game we're in the clubhouse and I think Leicester had just beaten Sunderland, I said to my mate 'I think they'll do OK this season, Ranieri is an experienced manager and they've got a few decent players'. He was sure they would struggle, 'its only Sunderland' etc, so I bet him they'll finish top half. He snapped my hand off, laughed as we shook hands and was so confident he got all of my other mates who were there in on it. I was a bit p1ssed so said yeah OK, I'll have that bet with anyone who wants it. Ended up taking it on with 5 of 6 people. Obviously nobody would've predicted what went on to happen that season but that top half bet still gets spoken about now.
Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:55 - Aug 1 with 1976 viewsJohnTy

Apparently it ran the simulation 10,000 times, and every team except QPR came top at least once, and every team came bottom at least once!
The future is unknown and unknowable.
Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:56 - Aug 1 with 1974 viewsITFCBlues

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:43 - Aug 1 by BiGDonnie

Miracles do happen. But based on what's in front of us currently, we've not improved the squad and need to add 2 or 3 more to really push on.

Still time to go, let's hope we get some deals done.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:59 - Aug 1 with 1963 viewsmonty_radio

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 08:11 - Aug 1 by Churchman

Yeah - Div 2 never seemed all that to me for the 30+ years in which I've watched us compete there.I don't remember turning up and thinking, "it's the mighty Bristol City/P.N.E. today". And that's basically what it still is, and we enter it on the crest of a wave rather than idling about in our more recent rockpools.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 11:02 - Aug 1 with 1945 viewsBiGDonnie

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:56 - Aug 1 by ITFCBlues

Miracles do happen. But based on what's in front of us currently, we've not improved the squad and need to add 2 or 3 more to really push on.

Still time to go, let's hope we get some deals done.

We have improved the squad, we signed Hutchinson, Taylor and Hirst?

Are you making things up to fit your negative narrative?

COYBs

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 11:16 - Aug 1 with 1879 viewsSuperblue95

Supercomputer Opta predicts us for 18th on 10:55 - Aug 1 by JohnTy

Apparently it ran the simulation 10,000 times, and every team except QPR came top at least once, and every team came bottom at least once!
The future is unknown and unknowable.

QPR to win the title this year so

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024