Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dane Scarlett 10:38 - Aug 31 with 26240 viewsSitfcB

This post has been edited by an administrator

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Dane Scarlett on 10:40 - Aug 31 with 10258 viewsHerbivore

Bit of a meh signing if it does happen.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Dane Scarlett on 10:41 - Aug 31 with 10203 viewsParky

Massively underwhelming.
Dane Scarlett on 10:41 - Aug 31 with 10196 viewspointofblue

So he extends his contract at Tottenham and then comes here?

If true it’s a pointless exercise; just means they can screw us over if he does well. McKenna may like him but it’s not a sign of long term team building.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Dane Scarlett on 10:41 - Aug 31 with 10178 viewsSitfcB

Dane Scarlett on 10:40 - Aug 31 by Herbivore

Bit of a meh signing if it does happen.

Probably been on the cards all window.

McKenna rates him highly.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Dane Scarlett on 10:44 - Aug 31 with 10053 viewsLankHenners

Always thought that was very likely. Know Spurs were pondering what best to do with him so imagine we'd have got this done earlier had they made their mind up more quickly.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Dane Scarlett on 10:44 - Aug 31 with 10021 viewsITFCBlues

Dane Scarlett on 10:41 - Aug 31 by pointofblue

If true it’s a pointless exercise; just means they can screw us over if he does well. McKenna may like him but it’s not a sign of long term team building.

Agreed - seems pointless. Is he any better than say Jackson who could also play a similar role.

Our whole plan is to sign players we can develop & then sign on for significant sums - "Player Trading" to then sign better players overtime. We're essentially just developing other clubs players for them & if they do well, we probably aren't going to have scope to sign them either.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Dane Scarlett on 10:46 - Aug 31 with 9941 viewsBiGDonnie

Very happy if true. May not have set the world alight last season, but is very highly regarded amongst those that know a hell of a lot more than we do.

COYBs

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Dane Scarlett on 10:46 - Aug 31 with 9947 viewsStokieBlue

Dane Scarlett on 10:41 - Aug 31 by pointofblue

It's exactly what Leicester did with Hirst and we didn't get screwed over there.

It's not ideal, I'd prefer a perm with upside for us but if he comes in and adds quality we need then that's fine. Most of the best players in the division last season were PL loans and the teams that did the best all had a number of PL loans. Forest essentially got promoted with an entire team of PL loans.

I guess we will see, hopefully him and Hutchinson will both come good.

SB
[Post edited 31 Aug 2023 10:51]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Dane Scarlett on 10:46 - Aug 31 with 9923 viewsJakeITFC

Hirst and him seemed quite likely from the outset for me - a player McKenna clearly rates and I expect him to get a tune out of him.
Dane Scarlett on 10:47 - Aug 31 with 9854 viewsBiGDonnie

Dane Scarlett on 10:44 - Aug 31 by ITFCBlues

Agreed - seems pointless. Is he any better than say Jackson who could also play a similar role.

Our whole plan is to sign players we can develop & then sign on for significant sums - "Player Trading" to then sign better players overtime. We're essentially just developing other clubs players for them & if they do well, we probably aren't going to have scope to sign them either.

Yes, yes he is a lot better than Jackson - and I like Jackson.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Dane Scarlett on 10:47 - Aug 31 with 9853 views_clive_baker_

Our whole plan, primarily, is to win football matches though. Developing and trading players is meant to give us the best chance of doing that by increasing our budget, but it's not to say there isn't a place for loan players.

Specifically with regards to Scarlett I'm not 100% convinced he's going to improve on what we've already got available to us, but if he does and he rips it up then being priced out of signing him permanently is probably a good problem to have as it'll mean he's done very well.

I think we're short of a proven, street wise forward in our squad but the issue is there aren't many of them, everyone wants one, and therefore they probably don't come in our budget / FFP.
Dane Scarlett on 10:48 - Aug 31 with 9812 viewsJDB23

Would have preferred us to do a deal like Davis on a permanent but think it was always going to be hard to bring in a quality striker permanently when Hirst is already our starter so I’m not surprised by this. Not the best reviews from Pompey fans but hopefully a year of senior football has helped him progress.
Dane Scarlett on 10:48 - Aug 31 with 9803 viewsArnieM

Plan Z as we’ve been unable to get hold of our primary striker targets?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Dane Scarlett on 10:48 - Aug 31 with 9788 viewstractorboy1978

We have done that though with several of our signings. They aren't all going to be in that mould.

Scarlett is a very high potential player who is going to come in to work with one of the best young coaches in the country. If McKenna refers to someone as 'one of the best young strikers in Europe' then that should be enough for us to be quite excited about him and what McKenna can get out of him. He's on a similar trajectory to Cameron Archer who has just gone for £18.5m.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2023 10:50]
Dane Scarlett on 10:49 - Aug 31 with 9750 viewsHerbivore

Dane Scarlett on 10:41 - Aug 31 by SitfcB

Probably been on the cards all window.

McKenna rates him highly.

He does and I trust his judgement but the evidence suggests that for all his talent he's not ready to improve us in the Championship just yet. If there was a possibility of signing him permanently I'd be delighted but there isn't. We should be using loans to add real quality, imo, rather than as squad filler.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Dane Scarlett on 10:50 - Aug 31 with 9678 viewsJakeITFC

Dane Scarlett on 10:48 - Aug 31 by ArnieM

More likely that Tottenham are only now letting him go (likely because they are getting Brennan Johnson) - McKenna described him as one of the best young forwards in world football less than a year ago.
Dane Scarlett on 10:51 - Aug 31 with 9605 viewsJ2BLUE

For the people questioning it, give McKenna a chance to work his magic.

Signing Hirst on loan seemed a little odd at the time but McKenna wants these players for a reason.

I suspect we've been after him for most of the window.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Dane Scarlett on 10:51 - Aug 31 with 9601 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Dane Scarlett on 10:48 - Aug 31 by tractorboy1978

We have done that though with several of our signings. They aren't all going to be in that mould.

Scarlett is a very high potential player who is going to come in to work with one of the best young coaches in the country. If McKenna refers to someone as 'one of the best young strikers in Europe' then that should be enough for us to be quite excited about him and what McKenna can get out of him. He's on a similar trajectory to Cameron Archer who has just gone for £18.5m.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2023 10:50]

This. I can't believe working under Cowley at a struggling Pompey really suited him.
Dane Scarlett on 10:52 - Aug 31 with 9555 viewsBlueStreak

Phil has said a number of times that we were looking at him in January, so hardly Plan Z is it?
Dane Scarlett on 10:52 - Aug 31 with 9519 viewsArnieM

Dane Scarlett on 10:47 - Aug 31 by _clive_baker_

Our whole plan, primarily, is to win football matches though. Developing and trading players is meant to give us the best chance of doing that by increasing our budget, but it's not to say there isn't a place for loan players.

Specifically with regards to Scarlett I'm not 100% convinced he's going to improve on what we've already got available to us, but if he does and he rips it up then being priced out of signing him permanently is probably a good problem to have as it'll mean he's done very well.

I think we're short of a proven, street wise forward in our squad but the issue is there aren't many of them, everyone wants one, and therefore they probably don't come in our budget / FFP.

Kieffer Moore is street wise and possibly available?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Dane Scarlett on 10:53 - Aug 31 with 9507 viewsITFCBlues

Dane Scarlett on 10:47 - Aug 31 by BiGDonnie

Yes, yes he is a lot better than Jackson - and I like Jackson.

34 games and just 4 goals last season suggests not.

If it's a perm deal & we can develop him ourselves, then i'd be more than happy, but just seems very underwhelming.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Dane Scarlett on 10:54 - Aug 31 with 9444 viewsburnbudgiesburn

That feels a bit 'meh' because its a loan and pompey fans didn't rate him ( he was played out wide)

For me, loans are at least preferable to perm panic signings.

It's also as case of 'Manager signs player he really rates and wants' - this seems like it was always going to happen at some point.
Dane Scarlett on 10:54 - Aug 31 with 9436 viewsStewart27

If KM thinks he’s one of the best young talents in world football then I guess Jude Bellingham
was plan A.
Dane Scarlett on 10:55 - Aug 31 with 9351 viewsFrimleyBlue

Boom

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Dane Scarlett on 10:55 - Aug 31 with 9357 viewsCityBlue

He was prolific at U18 level and then plateaued for a while - which tends to happen quite a lot for young strikers when the host club does not want to let them go yet finds it difficult to secure a loan where first team football is guaranteed.
He showed glimpses of his potential at Pompey but they were not in a good place as a club at that point.
I would suggest that just as Jackson has, he will flourish under McK and his coaching staff.

Plus is Jose believed in him then so will McK..
[Post edited 31 Aug 2023 10:57]

I T I D

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024